Old November 29, 2000, 17:40   #1
Christantine The Great
Prince

Local Time: 17:47
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I have never...
thought that such a community could spring up around an old game like Civ II.
Compared to the AC and Civ III forums (Never looked at CTP) this forum has a much larger sense of community. Here people announce when they won a game at a level they never beat before and people give that person a pat on the back. Here we have people announcing when they found a funny mistake that the people found in the programming. Here people complain when they mess up while programming and need help. Here people think of new ways to play such an old game. I think that this forum very much earned the title of "Community".

(I would have said somewhere in this "I laughed, I cried..." but that would ruin the serious attitude I am trying to make.)

Old November 29, 2000, 19:53   #2
Farmboy
Chieftain

Yeah, this place is awesome, a couple days ago I posted with a questition about a tiny aspect of the game, helicopters. I had looked earlier for info about this and didn't see any. After I posted I was looking around again and I saw that there already was a thread about helicopters. Then I got the fear that I was going to be flamed like you would in some discussion groups. Thanks for being a supportive place to become a better player.
Oh no, now I'm crying, I always do this at discussion groups...

------------------
A genunine Matt Gaston post.
Old November 30, 2000, 02:35   #3
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:47
More evidence of a "sub-culture" revolving around civ2.Now if I could find some civ groupies...

When I first found this treasure chest I posted almost all the "asked and answered 1000 times newbie dumbass questions".No flames.Just answers.In fact,on more than one occasion,"new" ideas were born by revisting "old" questions.Great stuff.Great site!
Old November 30, 2000, 03:20   #4
tonic
King

Local Time: 22:47
What's great about the community is that no matter what your level from beginner to expert, there's someone who can share thoughts and experiences with you. There is so much more you can get from a proven high-level game by going ever deeper than you would if you do the "try out a game simply because it's new" chase.
Old November 30, 2000, 03:42   #5
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 16:47
Everyone:

The Civilization series — but Civ II in particular — is more than worthy to have an Internet and RL subculture sprout up at its base. To me, that is a testament to the staying power and influence of not only Sid Meier himself, but the fans he has created.

Whelp. Back to my latest game ... a Mongol surprise attack just took out one of my protected convoys. Ouch! Eleven divisions lost at sea!

CYBERAmazon
Old November 30, 2000, 05:25   #6
Dissident Aggressor

well it also has to do with it being the greatest game ever made. at least the greatest tbs. Yes I know there are some civ loyals here. I cannot comment because I have never played the first one (no computer back then). I don't play a whole lot anymore, but I just have this feeling it will never leave my hard drive. I'll probably have it on there in 30 years

Old November 30, 2000, 09:01   #7
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by CYBERAmazon on 11-30-2000 02:42 AM
Whelp. Back to my latest game ... a Mongol surprise attack just took out one of my protected convoys. Ouch! Eleven divisions lost at sea!

CYBERAmazon

Protected convoys??? I'd sure like to know what you idea of protection is.

And on the subject at hand, what I'm looking forward to is when we all get to heaven and have the first annual Civ2 reunion/tournament.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 30, 2000, 15:47   #8
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

kcbob:

The convoy consisted of a fully-loaded transport guarded by two AEGIS cruisers and a battleship with a sub coming at it from the opposite direction.

Unfortunately, the turn ended and the next thing I knew, a Mongol convoy popped up next to mine and began whaling away. The only thing to survive was my sub. How ironic, since the AI usually nails those right away.

Suffice to say, I am wreaking my vengeance. I've got over 100 divisions based in Eurasia and am making excellent use of them .

CYBERAmazon
Old December 1, 2000, 08:38   #9
Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 22:47
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Yes, this site is great !!!
And yes, this is all very friendly and helpful.
From all around the world.

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old December 2, 2000, 11:45   #10
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

The great thing is, even though the game has been out for a long time, we are STILL finding new tricks, new insights, evolving better strategies... And thanks to this site, we have a way of sharing these new discoveries.

Keep on Civin'

------------------
Ming
CivII & Off-Topic Forum Moderator
Ming@Apolyton.net
Old December 4, 2000, 17:04   #11
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by Ming on 12-02-2000 10:45 AM
the game has been out for a long time

Chess is a ton older but you still see boards and tournaments everywhere you look, simply because every game is so varied and interesting. Civ2 and AC (even though they won't last thousands of years) are similar, so expect it to last a lot longer. Just my two cents.

[This message has been edited by SMACed (edited December 04, 2000).]