View Poll Results: Do you like the Idea of Provinces?
Yes. I like the idea of provinces for administrative functions etc. 37 75.51%
Yes. Buy I only want them to be named. I don't want them to be administered seperately. 9 18.37%
No. No Provinces. 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 28, 2002, 21:43   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 00:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Unofficial: Provinces?
I've just been looking over the CFC Demogame (i dont usually go to CFC so it's kind of new to me), and i am beginning to like the idea of their provinces.

I realize our nation ism't really large enough to draw up many provinces right now, but the way i see it we're on the verge of explosive expansion.

Would you like to see provinces created?
Old July 28, 2002, 21:59   #2
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 01:07
i think we should keep it as it is now, then next game, we should make radical changes (including the addition of provinces and governors)
Old July 28, 2002, 22:01   #3
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Sure, as long as everything is thorougly worked out.
Old July 28, 2002, 22:02   #4
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

i think we can afford to make provinces now, or soon. it could add another level where people disagree on what to do, which is always delightful
Old July 28, 2002, 22:02   #5
Donal Graeme
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 21:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
At this point, it would be unnecessary for us to create a province for any reason other than to make the region easy to identify. But once our empire has developed more, then I think that the idea has merit.
Old July 28, 2002, 22:32   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 23:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Ninot
i think we can afford to make provinces now, or soon. it could add another level where people disagree on what to do, which is always delightful
Nice to see that supreme power is having an... effect on your views, and that you are keeping a sense of humour.

Yes, Provinces might be a good idea. At the very least, being a Provincial governor would be good exercize for some of the players lacking experience in government. That would give us a chance to see who is able to do a good job of handeling responsibilities. Ohhh Punkbass...
Old July 28, 2002, 22:35   #7
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

Nice to see that supreme power is having an... effect on your views, and that you are keeping a sense of humour.

Yes, Provinces might be a good idea. At the very least, being a Provincial governor would be good exercize for some of the players lacking experience in government. That would give us a chance to see who is able to do a good job of handeling responsibilities. Ohhh Punkbass...
lol, i was trying to be serious too

anyways, NYE's comment reminds me of one destinct problem... what if we start getting so many jobs that there arent enough active members to take care of?
Old July 28, 2002, 22:37   #8
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I'm fine with separate functions, as long as we can stay coordinated and certain provinces don't get ignored.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 28, 2002, 22:37   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I thought you were being serious, that's what makes the humour more welcome.

We can leave the less necessary positions vacant.
Old July 28, 2002, 22:42   #10
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

How about in the future when we have obvious separate territories?
Old July 28, 2002, 22:47   #11
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

One of the best ideas to come to us from Phoenatica. I think we could even divide our current holdings into two provinces right now.

But I agree that we should wait a little longer.
Old July 28, 2002, 22:56   #12
jdd2007
NationStates
King

if we dont have enough active members to hold down positions, we could take another idea from CFC: having multiple positions. this might lead to problems though. uber might run for, and win, every position!
Old July 28, 2002, 22:57   #13
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

The idea didn't really come from them... we were discussing this earlier, but we only had one city then.
Old July 28, 2002, 22:57   #14
Edrix

I agree with the sentiment that we should wait until our Empire grows a bit more to establish provinces. We could probably separate based on original national origin (meaning former American lands would make up a province, and the original four cities of Apolytonia would be a province as well).

Old July 28, 2002, 23:09   #15
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I like the idea.

Of course, I still can't vote...

Oh, and if we do have provinces, I'm interested in being a Governor.
Old July 28, 2002, 23:34   #16
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninot

anyways, NYE's comment reminds me of one destinct problem... what if we start getting so many jobs that there arent enough active members to take care of?

giving people the opportunity for more involvement (by way of responsibility/ownership) may actually increase the number of active members...

if someone gets to be a governor and make decisions, whereas before he was only joe citizen with diluted voice/power, he may become more interested and more active.

Also if we give out mayorships, so we can have mayors for each city, that would help along the same lines too. we have more active citizens than cfc (i think) but they seem to do just fine filling most of their critical positions.

btw, we get along fine without now, so even if we can't fill the position, that shouldn't be a problem.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old July 29, 2002, 00:30   #17
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:07
I like it too, but presently there is little call for Governors.

Our cities should be fully geared towards finishing off our first plan - we have taken American cities, and now we must settle the land and resources open to us. We should build little but defense, settlers, and maybe some temples/workers.

Just because there war is done and dusted doesn't mean we can sit back - this requires a centralized plan with all efforts working in concert before any results will be seen.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 29, 2002, 01:36   #18
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Re: Unofficial: Provinces?
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
I've just been looking over the CFC Demogame (i dont usually go to CFC so it's kind of new to me), and i am beginning to like the idea of their provinces.

I realize our nation ism't really large enough to draw up many provinces right now, but the way i see it we're on the verge of explosive expansion.

Would you like to see provinces created?
This poll is in violation of the CoL that says the first is supposed to be neutral and unbiased. And while I did vote yes with governors, I believe even unofficial polls need to adhere to the CoL.
Old July 29, 2002, 02:16   #19
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

EDITED: I was feeling tired and irritable.

So it's counter to the Constitution - so what? Who cares? We don't need to examine this - it is an unofficial poll and as such nothing can come of it but perhaps an official poll.

Does anyone see this as enough of a threat to warrant Judicial attention? I hope not.

Old July 29, 2002, 05:02   #20
notyoueither
Deity

All the court could do is judge the poll invalid, ie 'Unofficial'. IMO.
Old July 29, 2002, 11:50   #21
Almightyjosh
Settler

Local Time: 15:07
Hi! Though you might want an insider's opinion. I'm a governor in Phoenatica and it's GREAT!! Provincial politics is a great way to get people involved and is a source of pride for us (we Asphinxians are the proudest of all!). There is healthy competition between provinces, but in the end everyone works together (in theory). My province is quite large and has 8 cities (including 3 of the top 5 in the nation!!). A civ needs about 10 cities before you can split into provinces, just make sure when you do start with them you define borders WELL in advance, even though this will mean alot of 'your' provinces may be temporarially in the hands of heathen. I you visit Phoenatica, be sure to come to Thebes, capital of Asphinxia Province (see I can't help being proud).
Old July 29, 2002, 12:23   #22
Falcon02
Settler

I must say something... Yes now they're not needed. But, it's good to plan ahead, and start building the basic Provincial borders and then add on to them (maybe have governors now or later), But I feel that later Micromanaging 20-40 cities maybe more than one person will want or be able to do with great care. That's why Governors are so useful, detailed Micromanagement of cities, it's also a good "spring board."

I also think the concerns of lack of citizens is unfounded, you have 2-3 times the number of active citizens CFC has yet we're doing fine. The Recent elections have had alot of "default unapposed winners," but that has alot to do with our small size.
Old July 29, 2002, 13:14   #23
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I like the idea.
CFC has far fewer ministerial positions if I remember correctly, although each one does have a backup minister. I would be conserned that many of our prominent members will have less time once the school season starts. This might be a way to reduce the number of ministers we would need then......

I like the idea of having them as appointed positions for a one month time frame. Also, we wouldn't have to necessarily exclude the justices...... Else those 5 positions / people might feel isolated.

Lets brainstorm some more on this.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 29, 2002, 13:48   #24
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
CFC has far fewer ministerial positions if I remember correctly, although each one does have a backup minister.
And they have about a 1/3 as many people in about 3 times as long.

I think this poll is fairy definitive. Someone should start hashing together an amendment to deal with it, if people are so in favor of it.
Old July 29, 2002, 16:50   #25
GePap
Emperor

Let me ask for some clarification about provinces: Are governors simply multi-city mayors, with the task of running the cities, or do they form a second, lower rung of power? Do the governors work with each other or against, in temrs of getting things for their province? and what shal be the realtion to the existing cabinet members? If the city planner wants x-built in apolyton, but the governor whant y built, who wins, who decides?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 29, 2002, 17:37   #26
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

I believe they would REPLACE the city planner. The governor would act as the City Planner for the Province.
Old July 29, 2002, 18:05   #27
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:07
I say yes to provinces, but only in later phases of the game when we have at least twice as many cities as we have now. Also, all province administrators should be under the supervision of a minister (maybe a new appointed minister, though I don't think that's such a good idea) or the president. That way, when we need a certain type of unit or if we want to direct our efforts at culture, for example, we could be sure to expect cooperation from all the province administrators.
Otherwise one province will be building military units because its administrator will feel like it's time for war while another province builds exploration units and another builds city improvements. We can't have that, now can't we?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old July 29, 2002, 19:09   #28
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

I see the City Planner as the Governor Supremo. When we are at the stage where planning every city's queues is impracticable, we have a broad policy for certain areas/cities, and it is the City Planner's job to ensure the queues created by individual Governors are consistent with the broad strategy. In the case that something specific is needed, the City Planner (acting directly on behalf of the Prez/people) would naturally takes command.

Thus Governors have a certain degree of freedom, and thus are not just following Ministerial orders (hence there is some responsibility to the job), but when the need arises, decisions are made by the people until any crisis is resolved. The City Planner keeps their job by ensuring the queues are consistent with the broad strategy and do not clash with each other.

Old July 29, 2002, 19:25   #29
Kuciwalker
Deity

*sigh*

Manually add +1 to the first option.

God, I hate this.
Old July 29, 2002, 19:53   #30
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:07
I think province governors shouldn't be too independant, and should be overseen by a city planner of some sort. For example, if we're preparing war, a rogue governor shouldn't be able to build libraries when knights are needed.
To do this, I suggest someone should be a supervisor, and checks if the building queues of a city match our general objectives. Such a role could be taken by the Prez, the VP, or simply the people (who vote on general issues re building queues).
The supervisor role would be minor, and I feel an election for such a minor post would be unnecessary. Maybe the cabinet / the people should decide who in the cabinet will take this charge during the term. As it wouldn't be a strictly elected position, it will allow more flexibility when we have to replace him : for example, if we have to fill the technological gap, the Science minister could become city supervisor. If war is suddenly declared, the cabinet could "elect" immediately the SMC to be supervisor.
What do you think ?