Old July 29, 2002, 15:21   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 00:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
War Academy: The Viability of War Chariots
Looking at my last plan and the Geography of France, I'd also like to put it to the War Academy to look at the possible use of War Chariots in the War for France.

I have dismissed them before because of the large jungle seperating us, but with my current galley plan, we could land some war chariots in France near Orleans, and have a large operational range.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	925-wc-range.gif
Views:	120
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	20894  
Old July 29, 2002, 15:37   #2
Edrix

The only advantage we would have in using War Chariots rather than Horsemen is their cheaper cost; otherwise, they're exactly the same. The only question here is: when do we want our Golden Age? If we're planning on annexing some of our other surrounding nations, it might not be a bad idea to have it quickly (that would make taking over France much easier). On the flipside, it may be better to wait until the Middle Ages (when we get Knights) to activate our Golden Age so that we can mass-produce them and overrun our enemies that way.

Old July 29, 2002, 15:41   #3
BigRed515
Settler

Local Time: 05:08
I'd say hold back on the WCs, we don't have the tech to mass-produce units strong enough to fight the Greeks (knights), which would be the primary use of the GA. Use the WCs in the war that finishes the post-pruned French or US as a precursor to a war against the Greeks or Germans.
Old July 29, 2002, 15:51   #4
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 01:08
I say wait. Do we need war at this time?

If the consensus is yes, then we must have clearly defined objectives. What are they? Even taking paris at this time will not assure us of having access to the grapes (er, um, wine). What other objectives do you have in mind?

Also, remember, at this time france is our best trading partner. All of our most favorable trades have come from them. Attacking them at this stage could seroiusly jepordize our future science.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 29, 2002, 16:51   #5
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:08
I have not considered the war chariot in the French Campaign, and certainly not to be build in lieu of horsemen, but rather as a unit devoted to pillaging to weaken a dangerous enemy. I have been impressed by the impis doing that, and the war chariot is not different (BTW Edrix the WC is weaker than the horseman : attack strength 1 instead of 2).

Question : does pillaging trigger the GA ?

If the answer is no, I am interested to see our WC applying the famous Isolation Capitol Strategy to Athenes. And if it is yes, this will have anyway to be considered.
Old July 29, 2002, 16:57   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
I say wait. Do we need war at this time?

If the consensus is yes, then we must have clearly defined objectives. What are they? Even taking paris at this time will not assure us of having access to the grapes (er, um, wine). What other objectives do you have in mind?

Also, remember, at this time france is our best trading partner. All of our most favorable trades have come from them. Attacking them at this stage could seroiusly jepordize our future science.
theres a whole thread about bjectives and strategies.
Old July 29, 2002, 16:59   #7
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 06:08
A Golden age now is too early. on WC's, from me. We should build some, though, to have a couple at hand to trigger a GA when it's appropriate.

DAVOUT: War Chariots (Egyptian UU) have the same 2.1.2 stats as Horsemen. You are talking about normal Chariots.
Old July 29, 2002, 17:02   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

a war chariot is essentially a horsemen at half price, that cant go onto jungles / mountains unless a road is there.

we could have 2 WCs for every Horseman.

The only viable argument I hear right now is that it's too early for a GA, and I can agree with that.

I'm just throwing strategies out there, as I was elected to do
Old July 29, 2002, 18:09   #9
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Horsemen vs war chariots?
IMO the extra shiled expended now would very much be made up for when we get a GA that turns the whole game in our favour later on.

C'mon the French aren't going anywhere.
Old July 29, 2002, 19:36   #10
Kuciwalker
Deity

I like the Swordsman plan that someone came up with in the other thread.
Old July 29, 2002, 23:37   #11
Robber Baron
Prince

I agree with others who favor the use of horsemen over chariots. Controling the timing of our golden age is easily worth the extra cost for horsement. And we're going to need that golden age somewhere in the middle ages (when we finally get around to taking on Greece, perhaps, or possibly when the Persians or Aztecs come calling -- or, if we're lucky, during a major culture buildup phase following the planting of our Forbidden Palace).
Old July 30, 2002, 12:28   #12
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 23:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
To me, it would be better to use swordsmen for the major attacks, but the War Chariots at the start.
Old July 30, 2002, 12:57   #13
Kuciwalker
Deity

Well, I think that you should support Plan Gold, because it has a name and Uber's plan doesn't ha ha.

WARNING: THIS POST WAS THE RESULT OF NEAR-TERMINAL BOREDOM ON THE PART OF THE POSTER. PLEASE IGNORE.
Old July 31, 2002, 05:22   #14
mtgillespie
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Apologies if this is a newbie question

War chariots need a road to move through jungle. Does a road in enemy territory work for this, even though you don't get the movement bonus?
Old July 31, 2002, 14:51   #15
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Yes, wheeled units can use enemy roads to move on wheel-unfriendly terrain.

However, I think we shouldn't use War Chariots; a GA would be pretty much wasted right now. Besides, if we time it in the midieval age correctly, we could grab some juicy wonders like Sistine and Bach's, or Sun Tzu's.