Old July 29, 2002, 18:02   #1
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 00:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Do You Ever Just Play A Mindless Game Of SMAC
You know the kind you just kind play for the hell of it.

You act a bit reckless with your units.

Attack when you ordinarly wouldn't.

Tell Dee or Yang to piss off even when it was a simple request.

Or maybe say the hell with leaving troops in a base.

Ever just let the Planet Busters fly and soak the air with gas.

Ever let Santiago know she will have to lick your boots if she wants that piece of land next to the sunny mesa. Ooops sorry that may just be an edit of mine.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old July 29, 2002, 18:52   #2
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 15:09
Hell yeah. Sometimes, just to see what happens, I toss everything I have at the first faction I encounter. There's something surprisingly fun about being called a "treacherous pig" and having no-one to trade with.

Sometimes, just to see what happens, I say "Screw the U.N. Charter" and equip every unit I have - especially needlejets - with nerve gas. Riddle me this: How do you kill half of Planet's population in five years? I racked up 2,000 years of sanctions once.
Old July 29, 2002, 19:20   #3
MattyBoy
Prince

I hate playing a sub-optimal SMAC game. Feels like a terrible waste of time. At most, I'll save, then muck around for a few turns to try some things out.
Old July 29, 2002, 20:34   #4
Jethro83
Prince

If I just won an early economic or diplomatic victory, then perhaps I'll play a few more turns, using Planet Busters, Nerve Gassed units and Genetic Warfare to try and wipe out the other factions.

Otherwise, if the game is still going, and it still counts towards a score, I do put enough thought into my decisions.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old July 29, 2002, 21:36   #5
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:09
sometimes i do. i might create a scenario where every faction has all the tech (except i'll leave one. once you discover a tech it creates units for you. otherwise the AI will just build native life ) and just PB everything, or take out the whole world in 2150 with string deathspheres .

other than that, i might just let it go after i've won...
Old July 29, 2002, 21:44   #6
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Eh. Forget optimization. Just have fun! Even if I haven't won yet (and I'm playing on Ironman ) I still sometimes declare wars for no good reason.
Old July 29, 2002, 21:48   #7
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

uh, the AI usually declare war on my and does nothing about it, so instead of declaring wars for no good reason, i ACT on my existing wars for no good reason
Old July 29, 2002, 22:30   #8
The Bloody Baro
Prince

Local Time: 01:09
I haven't done that since I just got SMAC 2 weeks ago. I might try it with UoP so once I get all the techs bye bye Planet
Old July 30, 2002, 03:07   #9
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Sometimes it is worth the risk to leave bases undefended; after all, if you can't use or don't need the police effect, you're paying the salaries of those guys to just sit around all day drinking, downloading or otherwise (ab)using XXXX - they could instead have been a hardworking former or crawler or two - then to top it off soldiers just become obsolete in ten or twenty years and you've got to buy them again.
Old July 30, 2002, 08:12   #10
Alex
Emperor

Once I played a game where I got stuck and doomed to extinction due to a number of reasons (bad starting location, wrong strategic decisions and general lack of skill comes to mind ), and then I decided to have some fun and started to destroy Morgan and Lal using nerve gas and genetic warfare (with a few Planet Busters thrown in for a good measure)... Damn, it was fun!
Old July 30, 2002, 08:20   #11
aaglo
King

Local Time: 08:09
All my games are mindless, reckless and I allways go for alliance with Miriam.
Old July 30, 2002, 09:30   #12
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 07:09
silly u :=)
Old July 30, 2002, 11:04   #13
Lucidor
Settler

Local Time: 06:09
I sometimes just roleplay a little... Not wanting to exterminate a pet faction, or perhaps not wanting to ally with the Hive... You know - play as if I was a character from the game, not just some computer nerd.

And - you should build many PDs and fire them freely. The satisfaction of blanketing the enemy with them is just too great to pass up, once in a while - they are really just too fun to exterminate others with. Ofcourse - they destroy any improvements, so many times they are quite inefficient to use.

But... it's the feeling.
Old July 31, 2002, 05:57   #14
Spacecow
Settler

Local Time: 23:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I just can't play a mean game. I even tried to be completely evil once. I started as Yang, figuring I'd gather up enough tech to gain proper infamy all at once, and then I'd just go around using PS/Planned/Power with small hordes of nerve gassable rovers and just one day up and obliterate whatever factions were handy, regardless of diplomatic status with them. If possible, I'd nerve staple whenever possible (even just for the heck of it) if I hadn't installed the required punishment sphere in that city yet. I think I ended up doing the completely opposite thing and got diplomatic victory in the end. Silly me... One day I'll play an evil game... really...
Old July 31, 2002, 07:23   #15
spartak
King

Local Time: 05:09
Aren't all games of SP mindless - its not as if the AI has much brain!
Old July 31, 2002, 07:51   #16
Lucidor
Settler

Local Time: 06:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Spacecow
I just can't play a mean game. I even tried to be completely evil once. I started as Yang, figuring I'd gather up enough tech to gain proper infamy all at once, and then I'd just go around using PS/Planned/Power with small hordes of nerve gassable rovers and just one day up and obliterate whatever factions were handy, regardless of diplomatic status with them. If possible, I'd nerve staple whenever possible (even just for the heck of it) if I hadn't installed the required punishment sphere in that city yet. I think I ended up doing the completely opposite thing and got diplomatic victory in the end. Silly me... One day I'll play an evil game... really...
Being a scheeming, totally unscrupulous Miriam could be fun... I backstab for the Lord! Hallelujah!
Old August 4, 2002, 01:29   #17
Emvepe
Settler

Reminds me of the game I just completed(MY VERY FIRST). PBs EVERYWHERE.. I didn't even realise what I was doing wrong until after :P Oh yah and I became planetary governer and flooded the world!
Old August 4, 2002, 07:44   #18
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

I dunno it seems that the AI takes over your playstyle..
I never Nuked except in my First Game and guess what the Ai doesnt too
*Lives in Happy MainBrainLand*
Old August 4, 2002, 10:53   #19
Method
Emperor

the AI wont PB or nerve gas unless you've dont it to them or the charter's repealed. oh they'll build them, but they'll never launch them.
Old August 4, 2002, 12:43   #20
Anodyne
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucidor
I sometimes just roleplay a little... Not wanting to exterminate a pet faction, or perhaps not wanting to ally with the Hive... You know - play as if I was a character from the game, not just some computer nerd.
I do that quite often, too.
Old August 9, 2002, 14:06   #21
Clear Skies
Prince

I sometimes just go in for mindless extermination - often in the endgame, when I'm bored and can't be bothered micromanaging a Vendetta. For example, in the last I was running up towards the Ascent, so when Aki declared Vendetta (for an emotionless cyborg she sure as hell hates Eudaimonia) I just built a whole fleet of sea probes and bought off every single one of her bases (they were all either coastal or sea). Then when Roze declared Vendetta (yeesh, what is it with these factions, you get a little way ahead and they all hate you...) I couldn't be *rs*d. Called up the Council, paid Lal and Zak roughly 10000 credits each to help me revoke the UN charter, then slammed 2 PBs right into the middle of Roze.
Then I got really really irritated with Zak. You see, he'd been building mag tubes all around University Base, and his Formers just kept moving around and around, over and over the same tubes again and again. It took ages for them to finally stop, and turns were just getting too too long. I renounced the submissive pact and he promptly declared war (I was running Power, which he hates). I PB'ed him to the edge of oblivion before I finished the Ascent.

Sometimes you just have to wind up and give that damn stupid AI a good hard kick up the bum.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old August 9, 2002, 14:43   #22
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
the AI wont PB or nerve gas unless you've dont it to them or the charter's repealed. oh they'll build them, but they'll never launch them.
Absoutely not true with respect to PBs!!!
Old August 10, 2002, 06:18   #23
Clear Skies
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mongoose
Absoutely not true with respect to PBs!!!
Seconded! That evil backstabbing treehugging cow PB'ed me while the UN Charter was still in place!
OK, so we were already at Vendetta and the only two other remaining factions were my submissives, so she didn't have much to lose...and I'd obliterated one of her bases, but to obliterate SEVEN of mine?

Gah. Evil Gaian witch.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old August 10, 2002, 09:40   #24
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I always roleplay all of my SMAC games -- which can be a challenge if I randomize the leaders and don't know what to expect from who.

I have adopted a new style for my CivIII games, however: I call it the "blatent cheating" style.

CivIII is soooooo much more fun, now...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 10, 2002, 17:04   #25
The Bloody Baro
Prince

Local Time: 01:09
I finally played my first mind-less game of Smac. I PBed miriam who was a pact sister of Yang. SO yang pops up and says whyed you PB Miriam?!!? If I could have I would have loved to said to make room for more sea coloines!
Old August 10, 2002, 23:02   #26
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:09
How about playing a game as the Data Angels, managing to form a pact with 5/6 factions, then when the first sunspots come along gleefully nervegassing the Gaians off the face of the planet and obliterating any captured bases.

After sunspots: Gaians? What Gaians? There were never any Gaians on my continent. I don't know what you are talking about....
Old August 11, 2002, 06:42   #27
Clear Skies
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Blake
How about playing a game as the Data Angels, managing to form a pact with 5/6 factions, then when the first sunspots come along gleefully nervegassing the Gaians off the face of the planet and obliterating any captured bases.

After sunspots: Gaians? What Gaians? There were never any Gaians on my continent. I don't know what you are talking about....
Rofl! I almost fell off my chair reading this...
I do occasionally use sunspots to hide atrocities, but usually only nerve stapling. Those drones don't half annoy me...
One atrocity I rarely, if ever, commit is base obliteration. I think I've only ever done it twice. Stapling, however, I do do quite often. In one game I got the Cloning Vats ages before the Telepathic Matrix, and got so pissed at the number of drone riot messages I got I ended up collecting 150 years worth of economic sanctions against me. Yum.
Old August 11, 2002, 10:46   #28
Sikander
King

Local Time: 22:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Clear Skies

One atrocity I rarely, if ever, commit is base obliteration. I think I've only ever done it twice. Stapling, however, I do do quite often. In one game I got the Cloning Vats ages before the Telepathic Matrix, and got so pissed at the number of drone riot messages I got I ended up collecting 150 years worth of economic sanctions against me. Yum.
I really never use attrocities. Base obliteration is certainly the most tempting. I tend to use the benign neglect method of reducing captured bases, but even this fairly simple method involves a regretable amount of micromanagemet. Basicly if I don't need the base as a military production center or airbase I just turn the entire population into specialists, sell off the improvements and produce colony pods to reduce the population. This produces some cash, some colony pods if you can use them, and reduces the chance of drone riots to zero.

One particular case where I am extremely tempted to obliterate a base is where an enemy base is within air range of my empire, but I don't want to take and hold it. This often happens across a strait, where capturing the base will put me on the enemy continent amongst numerous enemy ground forces. I sometimes try to court destruction in a small base by ridding myself of the perimiter defense and filling a small base with sacrificial infantry in the hopes that the AI will destroy the base in the counterattack. It's all a bunch of work whether I defend the base or try to arrange it's destruction. Smoking the base sure cuts down on it.

The fungal missles are a good tool to cripple an AI rival if you have the production and just can't be bothered to capture and administer their bases. The AI just can't deal with this effectively. Probe teams are another useful weapon for manipulating the AI, especially if you can play one against the other. This is chancy, but it can be really effective for the expense. The amusement value alone can make this worth it.
Old August 11, 2002, 15:16   #29
Clear Skies
Prince

Can be irritating though - at higher levels, probe-induced Vendettas are often permanent, which can prove annoying. I like being able to mediate peace in a second - especially in those massive 100+year wars that've been raging wildly. Call up someone and say 'please make peace' and they basically go 'OK, but only cos I like you'.
Clever AI....
Old August 11, 2002, 21:38   #30
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:09
I only do atrocities in mindless games of SMAX, usually they dont pay off between reputation, sanctions and ofcourse ecodamage.

Well, usually in the late game (should a game drag on that long vs enhanced AI's) I try to launch atleast one planetbuster to break the monotony, this generally involves repealing the charter and nuking the crap out a faction that has been annoying me.

Once I also played a mindless game as Ursuper, where my goal wasn't to conquer all the other factions, but instead act as ultimate peacekeeper (Conqurer Marr the Peacekeeper ). I built a small, powerfull empire and used Police/Free Market. I then proceeded to run numerous peacekeeping campaigns which would generally involve destroying the entire military of another faction, but never capturing a base, I got to use a lot of ships because it was the only way to extent my power with my strict non-expansion and non-capturing policy. The ships eventually got replaced by orbital insertions and gravships, yet another aspect I hadn't played with much before.

Domai got eradicated early but I liberated him with a probe team and proceeded to defend his fledging empire as part of my peacekeeping, the real amusing part is because I was deliberately not capturing bases and instead just emptying them my little pet Domai eventually captured virtually all the bases on the map. From locked in a Fun Sphere to world domination

I won by ET Phone Home victory and had only captured a single base (altough I had destroyed numerous size-1 bases). Domai controlled much more of the world than me.

Total nonsense, but one of the most fun games I've ever played.