Old July 29, 2002, 18:44   #1
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 05:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"Wait I've got an idea."!!!!!!!!!!!
After reading Ubers thread about the viability of cheap war chariots something dawned on me. We have alot of money and are soon to be connected to Iron. Also there appear to be 2 camps in the game those who want to develop what we have and those who want to attck the French.

However the fact that we are soon to be connected to iron puts us in the ideal position to build a S*** load of Warriors and then upgrade them all to swordsmen once we have the iron.

It's only 10 sheilds to build a warrior whereas swords/horsemen are 30 thereofer we could build 12 warriors in the time it takes us to build 4 swords/horsemen and as we have about 500 gp we could then upgrade them all once the iron comes.

By it's self Poly could build 10 warriors in 20 turns. But overall the time to build 12 warriors would be minimal and would allow us to develope our land and build culture.

IIRC Warriors to swords are about 40gp each and it would take us about 7 roads through jungle to connect the iron.

Easily a good balance between attack and developement.
Old July 29, 2002, 18:54   #2
Edrix

I'm almost ashamed I didn't think of that...
And spending most of our gold on this should pay off if we can manage to take France. Actually, this plan sounds almost TOO easy...

Old July 29, 2002, 18:58   #3
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 01:09
Sounds like a good plan to me.
Old July 29, 2002, 18:59   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 00:09
40 gold is a lot though.

just say the iron is connected in 20 turns, and Apolyton makes 10 warriors.

thats 400 gold we'd need.

sure we have it, but we'd have to see what we spend our money on.
Old July 29, 2002, 19:15   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:09
I like it OPD. In the meantime I don't think we have any tech priorities, so we could build our gold up quite nicely for the event. Furthermore, once we have France, we could turn back to the US if we so desired (20 turns should be up by then).

That 400 gold could easily pay for itself, Uber. What else are we doing with the money?

This could well be the way around this little dispute about our next dispute.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 29, 2002, 19:23   #6
Kuciwalker
Deity

IMNSHO, this rocks. So what that it costs money! What is money there for, except to be spent? This is a great idea.
Old July 29, 2002, 19:30   #7
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Last I checked we were gaining 13 gpt. Why? Because we buy tech. As long as we don't mind getting a little behind because of a dip in funds, we'll do great.

However if that's 20 turns to get connect, that's 260 gold more we'll have by then. That amount will go up and down because of city improvements and population increase.... eh more down than up, but still!

Remember we do have the option of buying polytheism, and although I can't remember the price, I think it was roughly all our gold, plus some gpt.

Do not forget that whatever gold france has, we will sue for if our attack is successful. We might try suing for GPT as well.
Old July 29, 2002, 19:38   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:09
If we manage the empire correctly (i.e, make tthe citizen in Gaia work, rather than entertain herself), we achieve 17 gpt this turn. Once Gaia is connected to the core cities, we'll get at least 2 more gpt because of entertainment's slider reduction.
We can also expect a slightly lower corruption in our new cities, once this is done.
I support the plan, because it will give us swarms of swordsmen as soon as we connect iron, which will be less than 20 turns if we allocate our resources well. For example, we can buy an industrious worker from the Americans for 28 gold, right now.
Old July 29, 2002, 19:41   #9
Vlad Antlerkov
King

Local Time: 23:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
For some reason, it can never get into my head that I can upgrade units without a wonder in Civ III (too used to Civ II).

I say go with it. It would give us a big advantage. 10 swordsmen, backed with however many experienced archers we have? With that, we might have a shot at total conquest of the French (or at least, knocking them over the Rift)!

Plus, it saves us some shields. Swordsmen cost 30 shields, warriors only 10. We can have larger forces in a shorter amount of time (need money, and lots of it, though).

Is it too early for us to start suggesting names for the conquered French cities?
Old July 29, 2002, 19:42   #10
Kuciwalker
Deity

We don't want to connect our Iron too soon. We need time to build all of the Warriors.
Old July 29, 2002, 19:45   #11
Edrix

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
We don't want to connect our Iron too soon. We need time to build all of the Warriors.
We can still build Warriors after connecting to the Iron, and we're already working to connect our cities anyway.

I'm in full support of this. Maybe you should put it to a poll, to see what the people think?

Old July 29, 2002, 19:49   #12
Kuciwalker
Deity

No, once you can build Swordsmen, you can no longer build Warriors.
Old July 29, 2002, 19:51   #13
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I believe we should heavily consider this. I really like the good points. The only concerns I have (as Minister of Science) is that we might not be able to buy techs as well. If all of France can be conquered, it would more than make up for the temporary drop in tech aquiring.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 29, 2002, 20:23   #14
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 23:09
My only concern is that Swordsmen are a deaded. If we built horses, we would have a standing army through Military Tradition.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 29, 2002, 20:28   #15
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Well, we'll probably lose many of them in a war with France what remains of America. The fact their a dead end won't matter much.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 29, 2002, 20:41   #16
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

This is a great idea!
Old July 29, 2002, 20:44   #17
solar
Settler

I think this is a great idea also.

Btw, how does an official poll get started?
Old July 29, 2002, 20:55   #18
Spiffor

Solar :
To start an official poll, it needs a prepoll debate (exactly what we are doing here). Then, you can post a poll about it, but :
- the poll shouldn't be oriented in any way : the question and possible answers are yes or no (or you do a "grouping" poll, but I don't see the purpose here.
- the first post presents clearly the issue, and gives a link t the debate thread. The first post must be neutral as well.
- the fficial expiration date must be set in 3 days at least. But officials can get information from this poll before it's officially done.
If you follow these simple rules, your poll deserves to be official, and will guide the policy of Apolytonia.
Old July 29, 2002, 21:44   #19
Captain
King

interesting idea! I know the time savings is a great boon and makes this worthwhile doing if we're hoping to rush a powerful army, but if we end up not going to war, would the gold:shields ratio still be favourable? if so, it's probably a good bet to do anyways, other than the loss of the experience.

btw, i know elites->veteran, but if they're only veteran, do they also drop to regular? if not, then we're fine.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old July 29, 2002, 22:05   #20
Spiffor

Captain :
A veteran unit keeps its veteran status when upgraded.
Old July 29, 2002, 22:45   #21
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Captain :
A veteran unit keeps its veteran status when upgraded.
Really? I thought a veteran became a regular when upgraded.
Old July 29, 2002, 23:04   #22
Falcon02
Settler

We did this at the begaining of the Domino Wars. We had Shailonegha building Warriors, and upgraded them to Immortals at Pherris or PDX (I forget which). Anyway we were building 1 warrior every two turns, and we had JUST enough income to upgrade 1 warrior ever two turns THAT was perfect.
Old July 29, 2002, 23:41   #23
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I like the idea. I say we put it to poll -- even if we have one bigger city just pump out warriors, we should be able to time it so that the endeavor is profitable. If anyone has a save game and a calculator, they could probably figure out how many turns you'd need to build a good number of warriors and also accumulate enough gold to get a good head start. Either way, we could always build extra warriors and not upgrade them unless the need arises or until we have the funds -- use them as insurance, should extra military ever be needed.

Just my ten cents...

-- adaMada
Old July 30, 2002, 00:26   #24
Donal Graeme
Warlord

Local Time: 21:09
IMO, ten swordsmen is overkill. Big time. With our current 5 archers, we could produce 5 swordsmen, and that would give us 10 attack units. That is all we will need. The money we save could go to science, or embassies( ) and we could also build some horsemen, and thus have units that we can keep for a long time, through upgrading. The plan that Sir Ralph put worth would be easily achievable with only 5 swordsmen and 5 archers.
Old July 30, 2002, 02:05   #25
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:09
If this works (and it's a helluva lot better odds than all the other Archer/Horsemen/War Chariot plans to date), OPD - you will be a war hero!

(Translation: This had BETTER work....)

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 30, 2002, 03:23   #26
Spiffor

Who wants to set up the official poll then ?
Old July 30, 2002, 03:27   #27
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 06:09
Many people do this upgrade thing. Warriors to swordsmen, and chariots to horsemen or knights. It works well. But I don't think we should wait so long. Time matters quite much. We can hit the French hard if we do it now. In 30-40 turns it can (and probably will) be too late.
Old July 30, 2002, 03:29   #28
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 06:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Who wants to set up the official poll then ?
The SMC is the only one to make this official. And IIRC ha already has a poll about it.
Old July 30, 2002, 07:05   #29
Kuciwalker
Deity

Actually, anyone can post an official poll. Remember the polling debate back right when the game started, and the resulting poll?

Anyway, this is now Plan Gold.
Old July 30, 2002, 10:09   #30
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Sounds prommising. But come up with some clear objectives prior to committing to this.......

Plus, we can still work on internal stuff in the intermittent time......

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con