Old July 30, 2002, 00:48   #1
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
major presidential problem
my friend came over today.. he was "playing with" my computer, and apparently, once he was though, i ended up with some majorly corrupt files in some pretty essential places.

this means im probably gonna be reformatting tommorow or the day after. This means the turnchat may be delayed as well, if Timeline cant play it.

this is just a "so you know" kinda thread, but if you people have ideas on how to get threw this smoothly, im open to anything.
Old July 30, 2002, 01:51   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 01:10
Hail the Almight F-Disk!

Well that stinks.
That's why I let no one touch my precious computer.
I screw it up enough for myself.
Old July 30, 2002, 02:22   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 23:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What OS? Windows I presume. Which version?

Often running setup over the old Windows will get things 'righter' and maintain the existing installed software (if it was uneffected). Can put off the need to deltree or reformat and reinstall for a bit.
Old July 30, 2002, 02:30   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:10
All I need is your friend's name and address. I'll do the rest.

00-WIA

But seriously, a delayed chat is GOOOD. Delayed how long, I hope?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 30, 2002, 02:40   #5
Kramerman
Prince

My grampa has mob connections.
I can ask him to..... 'take care of' your little friend.

EDI:Mr.WIA, where did you get that bond007 smily?
Old July 30, 2002, 02:56   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:10
If I told you I'd have to kill you.

And you might not like that.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

How about here ?

But the Bond one is MINE. I used it all the way through President in the Civ2 Demo game and will continue to do so.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 30, 2002, 03:05   #7
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
If I told you I'd have to kill you.

And you might not like that.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

How about here ?

But the Bond one is MINE. I used it all the way through President in the Civ2 Demo game and will continue to do so.
Thanks alot. This should be helpful and fun.
Old July 30, 2002, 03:41   #8
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 15:10
I have a talent for screwing up my computer while trying to do relatively inane things. I empathize, brother.
Old July 30, 2002, 03:52   #9
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:10
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
What OS? Windows I presume. Which version?

Often running setup over the old Windows will get things 'righter' and maintain the existing installed software (if it was uneffected). Can put off the need to deltree or reformat and reinstall for a bit.
Unfortunately, he has windows xp.

I have several XP horror stories. I quickly switched back to 98. now i can play my games again
Old July 30, 2002, 06:45   #10
Kuciwalker
Deity

XP is goddamned ugly. No way I'm upgrading from ME!
Old July 30, 2002, 09:59   #11
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgh.

Oh well. Do what you have to do.

(ps - I work construction, so let me know if you need a place to....dispose of some rubbish MrWhereItsAt)

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 30, 2002, 10:07   #12
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

pssst go with win2k. It is by far the most stable windows (yes more stable than xp), and it takes significantly less resources to run. Additionally ethernets actually WORK heheh
Old July 30, 2002, 10:34   #13
Ninot
Emperor

meh, switching windows versions isnt much of an option. im pretty content with XP overall, but my friend did something very unpatiently, and all has gone to crap .

Dont worry, i got a couple of uncles in the Montreal Mafia

as for how long the turnchat is delayed, that depends on when i can get my system formatted, and if Timeline can fill in

if i dont get my system formatted today, i MIGHT be able to play the turnchat. if i do, untill i get my civ3 running again.
Old July 30, 2002, 11:42   #14
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

If you're working XP, and you can get it to boot up, try to use system restore to the last restore point before your friend touched it... if your only problem is currupt files, that may well fix it...

(Just in case you don't know, system restore can be accessed by start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore)

As for Windows XP, I love it. It does give me some trouble with some older games, but it doesn't crash that much, can stay on for a long time without getting really crabby and slow (something I always found with Windows 9x computers). Overall, I personally think it's better than Windows ME in every way, and better than Windows 98 in most...

Hope this helps...

-- adaMada
Old July 30, 2002, 11:48   #15
Timeline
King

I can take over until you can come back.

The turnchat at 4pm est today (Tuesday) is still on.
Old July 30, 2002, 11:54   #16
Ninot
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada
If you're working XP, and you can get it to boot up, try to use system restore to the last restore point before your friend touched it... if your only problem is currupt files, that may well fix it...

(Just in case you don't know, system restore can be accessed by start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore)

As for Windows XP, I love it. It does give me some trouble with some older games, but it doesn't crash that much, can stay on for a long time without getting really crabby and slow (something I always found with Windows 9x computers). Overall, I personally think it's better than Windows ME in every way, and better than Windows 98 in most...

Hope this helps...

-- adaMada
rofl, funny you should mention that
about a month ago, in a quest to get as much out of my system resources as possible, i turned OFF system restore... so that option is gone.

Oh.. and formatt is the best choice for me anyways. my hardrive is getting cluttered with things i dont want to see anymore.
Old July 30, 2002, 12:24   #17
The_Spartan
Settler

I run Winxp I dont care much for but after i tweaked it it crashed once or twice but i havent had a problem with it in a while.

I found this a while ago.
http://www.geocities.com/the_spartan31/showthread.htm
Old July 30, 2002, 12:45   #18
Kuciwalker
Deity

Still, XP is ugly. I hate the new look. ME is great.
Old July 30, 2002, 13:46   #19
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
If you know how to do it, *ahem*, you can make XP look exactly the same (except for desktop icons and the start menu symbol) as any previous version of Windows.

Do you want me to show you how...

You should upgrade to XP. I've had no game compatability issues at all, and it's never crashed or have I gotten the BSOD. It's even a lot more stable than 98 SE, which is hard to do.
Old July 30, 2002, 14:02   #20
Timeline
King

XP sucks, just admit it
Old July 30, 2002, 14:13   #21
Jon Shafer

"My Mac is wonderful. My version of Civ costs extra, and at first Civ wouldn't play, and later on when I finally got it working I found out there was no support for the patches!

Hi, my name is Trip, and, uh, I'm a lazy bum who don't work. Ha ha!"

Join our ranks Linney! The reformed!
Old July 30, 2002, 17:01   #22
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
I got ME too, but it seems unstable, compared to even other MS OS. It crashes more than my fathers win 98, but I got alot more **** on my computer....

Kman

P.S. Trip, i like your Mac commercial parody
Old July 30, 2002, 18:02   #23
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman

I got ME too, but it seems unstable, compared to even other MS OS. It crashes more than my fathers win 98, but I got alot more **** on my computer....

Kman

P.S. Trip, i like your Mac commercial parody
Windows ME is like stalinism. Looks good on paper, but just doesnt work.

Windows XP is like capitalism. It exploits system resources to great effect, but its highly corrupted.

Windows 98 is like communism. It's just better than both Stalinism and Capitalism.

Sorry, I couldnt resist.
Old July 30, 2002, 19:58   #24
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninot

rofl, funny you should mention that
about a month ago, in a quest to get as much out of my system resources as possible, i turned OFF system restore... so that option is gone.

Oh.. and formatt is the best choice for me anyways. my hardrive is getting cluttered with things i dont want to see anymore.
. I had to suggest it anyway .

Though doing it when you're not ready isn't always fun, reformating your drive every once in a while is nice to keep things running smoothly -- whenever I do it, it does wonders for my system... having said that, I LOVE Windows Xp -- the default is ugly, but I like the Silver theme. It doesn't crash ever, and (unlike Windows ME) doesn't seem to get worse and worse the more I install and use. Xp is the best Microsoft system by far. As for Mac OS, I like it a lot, but had to switch away -- I couldn't wait that long for games to come out on it and then spend that much more on the games once they were finally out.

-- adaMada
Old July 31, 2002, 05:18   #25
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 07:10
Quote:
ME??!?

Ouch!!!!

Never tried it out myself, but I've heard A LOT about ME, and NONE of it has been good!

Anyway, suit yourself, I guess...
Old July 31, 2002, 05:54   #26
mwaf
Warlord

Local Time: 07:10
Regarding Trip's Apple-switch-campaign-parody, Trip is not the first, check out http://www.drunkgamers.com/switch0001.shtml .

By the way, I'm a mac user myself, running Mac OS X, which neither crashes nor looks ugly . (And Civ3 did run straight away.) But on the other hand, if playing games is the only (or at least the main) thing you want to do with your computer, then I can't really suggest buying a mac.