Old July 30, 2002, 05:58   #1
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
War Academy : a quantum leap forward
We have now several plans aiming Paris and Orleans. The best one will be selected on the basis of time (strike early) and shields required; gold is not in short supply right now.
It seems however that the plan using galleys is flawed by not taking into account the considerable risks associated with sea transport of units. For this reason, sea transport with galleys is generally contemplated only under absolute necessity that is lack of other access, or tactical move (diversion or exploration) inconsequential if failing, and not for moving the best part of the military forces.

But we could also study a very short war aiming only at Chartres and Orleans, asking Rheims and Marseille in the peace treaty. Then we could return in America for the second oscillation.

Comments appreciated.
Old July 30, 2002, 06:54   #2
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 01:11
What's this word "quantum" mean? Anyway, I support the mass Warrior upgrading plan, hereafter called Plan Gold.
Old July 30, 2002, 07:10   #3
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

The mass warrior upgrading plan has not yet clearly shown that it is the best in term of time. In any case, it would not be an early strike.

A quantum leap is a leap in the world of the infinitely small (quanta theory) ; I though that opposing it to great was fun, but obviously it's not
Old July 30, 2002, 07:47   #4
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Local Time: 05:11
The Galleys can just hug the coast, not the most admirable suggestion. Personally I cringe at the ide of being a coasthugger, but if we want to place a strike force inside France with Galley, it should be no problem.

Plan Gold; donīt we have to have access to Iron for this to even be a possibilitie and isnīt the nearest Iron inside Joanīs territory. Maybe we should stick to an early Archer attack and go for a city that will have access to Iron. Even if we decide to start building warriors in anticipation for later making the swordsmen, the initial phase of the attack must consist of Archers and Spearmen stack(s).
Old July 30, 2002, 07:58   #5
DAVOUT
King

Hugging the coasts does not prevent meeting barbarians galleys blocking the move or attacking our standard galleys.
Old July 30, 2002, 11:33   #6
Edrix

If we go with Plan Gold, it would be a hell of a lot easier just to have them travel over land, rather than two at a time on galleys.

Old July 30, 2002, 12:07   #7
Kuciwalker
Deity

DAVOUT - I know what the word quantum means; I just didn't know that we'd discovered it yet *cough*roleplaying*cough*
Old July 30, 2002, 12:14   #8
DAVOUT
King

Sky,

You are right, but I used the word, not the thing ; let's call it a poetic hindsight ! :
Old July 30, 2002, 13:08   #9
rendelnep
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Ankh-MorporkCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 17:11
yes like skywalkers plan to plate the shields and weapons of his personal guards from his 'banana plantation' in gold. Question is though how?
Old July 30, 2002, 13:11   #10
Kuciwalker
Deity

Kman told me about this thing called "electricity" and "electroplating". I'm going to ask him to make some for me, and I'll use it to transfer the gold onto the iron.
Old July 31, 2002, 01:28   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 00:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Edrix
If we go with Plan Gold, it would be a hell of a lot easier just to have them travel over land, rather than two at a time on galleys.
see my SMC plan. We need to "devistate" france in 1 turn. They have horses, and therefore horsemen.

We need to take Paris and Orleans in one turn, and then hold them for a while.

the galley fleet drops men off behind French borders and sets us up for the invasion of Paris.
Old July 31, 2002, 07:48   #12
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Local Time: 05:11
Sounds like a good plan Uber, but we will need at least 3 galleys prefferably 4 in order to be able to ferry an attack force strong enough to withstand any eventual counterattack. That will require alot of resourcess to be able to get those ships afloat before our attack force of Archers and Spearmen wil become obsolete. Of course we could rush them, but that will mean losing pop points, not something Iīm so keen to support.
Old July 31, 2002, 07:57   #13
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

If we go straight for Orleans, skipping Chartres (which we'll get for peace), the French won't have horses anymore. I don't think, that they already have many horsemen. May be 1 or 2 at most. They prefer 20-shields units like archers and spears, which can be poprushed. If we cut their horses off quickly, they are in our pocket.

Don't waste shields on a big galley fleet! Don't waste time!