View Poll Results: There should be canals?
Yes, of course is a good idea, I am fed up sailing around Africa and America to reach the other side. 33 91.67%
No, it is no good, I prefer long voayages. 1 2.78%
I don't mind. 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 30, 2002, 07:35   #1
Kramsib
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 07:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: PG's ID: 0000 Founder of PROGRESSIVE GAMES. Living in Leganés (Madrid), but born in SANTANDER
What about Suez and Panama?
As you can see in the image, another difference between Civ II and Civ III is the inexistance of Canals. That is to say that you cannot move naval units between squares joined by one of their vertex.

If you remember, Civ II's world maps used this peculiarity to depict Suez and Panama Canals, but the problem was it was unrealistic because, they were built by man, in other words, they were not natural channels.

Ok, Civ III is more realistic now but it is a pitty that my modern boats cannot travel troughout these strategical points unless I own a city just in the middle.

So, I wonder if you consider a good idea the possibility of construct canals like airfields or fortresses are built, and if it should be worthwile including this new option in the new PTW.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	channel.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	20946  
Old July 30, 2002, 07:43   #2
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 06:11
you could just build a city there you know
Old July 30, 2002, 07:44   #3
Gangerolf
Prince

but yes, it would be neat to be able to dig canals
Old July 30, 2002, 07:51   #4
Kramsib
Emperor

Location: PG's ID: 0000 Founder of PROGRESSIVE GAMES. Living in Leganés (Madrid), but born in SANTANDER
The problem of using cities as canals is that they can be only used by the owner of the city, so even with a right of passage only the owner of the city can sail throughout it.
Old July 30, 2002, 08:57   #5
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 05:11
I think this would be a jood idea. You sould either have a canal tytpoe improvemnt or allow other civs to pass though your city to get to the other side. But not stay in the city at a end of turn
Old July 30, 2002, 12:27   #6
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 01:11
Well, I think the problem with not having player-built canals is the AI. The AI may not place a city in the proper position to allow the canal effect. But, if they were buildable, maybe the AI would do so.
Old July 30, 2002, 13:36   #7
statusperfect
King

I don't think it's just the canals. As mentioned in other posts the whola naval system should be redone.
Old July 30, 2002, 13:57   #8
JtheJackal
Warlord

Local Time: 00:11
I've been a huge supporter of canals ever since I played Civ 2.
Old July 30, 2002, 14:14   #9
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 23:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Deathwalker
I think this would be a jood idea. You sould either have a canal tytpoe improvemnt or allow other civs to pass though your city to get to the other side. But not stay in the city at a end of turn
Personally, I think it'd be cool if your allies COULD leave ships/units in your cities to heal up.

Then we wouldn't have to have the "Dig Canal" worker funtion.
Old July 30, 2002, 15:21   #10
Carver
Prince

I'm sure sailing is very enjoyable but sometimes you just wanna get to where you're going. Yes, yes for canals.
Old July 30, 2002, 16:14   #11
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 01:11
it would be abused way too much, unless there were huge limits on the size and number of them. they should be very expensive, and take a long time to build...
Old July 30, 2002, 20:22   #12
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 22:11
No question about it. We need canals.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 30, 2002, 21:27   #13
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

My opinion is that you should have to BUILD a "canal improvement" for EVERY land square you want your ships to move through, and there should be a maximum number of adjacent squares you can build the improvement in-say 3 squares for an average map! The improvement should be capturable by the enemy, and not be enterable by any other civ without an MPP! It should also not become available until the late industrial age! On a final note, though, ships which pass through a square containing a canal should also have to pay a higher movement cost than if it were moving through coastal waters (Say 2mp instead of 1mp). I think that, combined, these things should limit the extent to which they could be abused by players!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old July 30, 2002, 22:27   #14
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf
Wrong.

First of all, Canals, as Wonders, were asked for repeatedly after Civ 2 came out. Firaxis ignored those requests.

Second, both Suez, and especially the Panama Canal, were Great Woinders of the World that gave immediate benefits to the building civ - prestige, power, naval strength, and a real nice boost in trade and commerce, plus a continuing source of additional income through usage fees.

None of that can be reflected merely by building a town.

Last edited by Coracle; July 30, 2002 at 22:34.
Old July 30, 2002, 22:32   #15
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect
I don't think it's just the canals. As mentioned in other posts the whola naval system should be redone.
I have said it for many months, pathetic and lame naval warfare is one of the three most disappointing parts of Civ 3. It is more simplistic than even Civ 2, and now we can't even deliver caravans and spies by sea - which was fun and dramatic.

Privateers and subs should be able to attack enemy merchant shipping on his trade routes. But Firaxis was too busy dreaming up crazy stuff such as disappearing garrisons when a city "flips" than to do something realistIc.
Old July 30, 2002, 23:33   #16
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Canals (or the Grand Canal, at least) were originally in civ3, but were taken out for gameplay reasons. You would have been able to put a canal on the map linking two bodies of water. Similarly, the Great Wall appeared as a wall on the map that would slow attackers.
Old July 30, 2002, 23:46   #17
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Thats what i do. But after descovering a tech, like modern enginnering or something, you should be able to build canals over several squares, where cities cant be built in order to allow passing. The same thing for building bridges. A certain sea vessel should be allowed to road over coastal squares, allowing for bridging to close continents and stuff.

kman

sorry if somebody has already said this stuff - i havnt read all the posts
Old July 30, 2002, 23:48   #18
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
Canals (or the Grand Canal, at least) were originally in civ3, but were taken out for gameplay reasons. You would have been able to put a canal on the map linking two bodies of water. Similarly, the Great Wall appeared as a wall on the map that would slow attackers.
That sucks. I dont see why they should of taken that out - sheesh. I guees they have their reasons...
Old July 31, 2002, 01:55   #19
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i made a huge stink about this while civ3 was still in development.

there would have to be soem immense strains, and we came up with a "3 connected tiles max" canal theory.

there'd also have to be some new rules about attackin in canals...

what if two ships meet in one?

what if a land unit attacks that square?

couldnt you stack a battleship with your tanks? a carrier?

it's all quite interesting.
Old July 31, 2002, 03:02   #20
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

I think this along with Social Engineering government should be high on the list for things to put in Civ4. I just don't see them adding either one at this time, but I voted for it.
Old July 31, 2002, 08:21   #21
Gangerolf
Prince

Perhaps canals could be in between tiles, like rivers. Thus land units can pass over them but not stay in them =>ie they can't attack ships in canals.
Old July 31, 2002, 08:27   #22
Kramsib
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i made a huge stink about this while civ3 was still in development.

there would have to be soem immense strains, and we came up with a "3 connected tiles max" canal theory.

there'd also have to be some new rules about attackin in canals...

what if two ships meet in one?

what if a land unit attacks that square?

couldnt you stack a battleship with your tanks? a carrier?

it's all quite interesting.
Thank you guys for your answers, I am really surprised and amazed that this thread has kept a high position. This fact means that this is an interesting topic.

UberKrux has made very interesting questions.

"What if two ships meet in one?"

This fact usually happens in Civ II real World Scenarios, Suez Canal get blocked with ships very often. The good part is that you can block the canal (if this is your aim), the problem is how to sail through it when it is blocked. In this case, you should be able to ask for permission (or to sign the "permission of passage" treaty or similar), and to be able to cross the ocupied squares (like a ghost).

But perhaps your main question is: What about the canal if two ships start a battle?, Would the canal acts as a barrier?, Is the canal susceptible of bombardment? (if it is an square improvement like a fortress, of course, it is). I think it is difficult to answer.

I also have thought about the "dig canal option" to avoid the problem of those cities which are near sea (they have sea squares under their city radious but they aren't adjacent to any of them, like these ones in the image), so this cities could produce naval units as well.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	city.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	21041  
Old July 31, 2002, 08:47   #23
Gangerolf
Prince

should there be a limit as to how long a canal can be? a canal across a continent is perhaps a bit extreme...
Old July 31, 2002, 11:59   #24
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Quote:
should there be a limit as to how long a canal can be? a canal across a continent is perhaps a bit extreme...
Not really, you can get ships all the way up to Minnesota using the Mississippi River and other canals. Likewise, Russia has joined the Caspian Sea to the Black Sea with canals. So I really don't think there should be a limit. It should just take a really long time to build a canal, and the tech to build them shouldn't become available until the Industrial Age.
Old August 1, 2002, 10:31   #25
Ijuin
Prince

Local Time: 14:11
Well, the Grand Canal in China was built mostly during the Tang Dynasty, before the development of either gunpowder or powered excavation machinery. I would suggest that Engineering would allow the construction of canals on squares that are ADJACENT to water only, and that Replacable Parts would allow the extension of canals as follows:

1) New canals can ONLY be started adjacent to Coast squares--not on rivers.

2) Canal improvements can only be built on tiles ajacent to existing canals unless you are starting a new canal (see 1).

3) Canals can NOT be built over Mountains.

4) Canals take a base time of 12 turns to build (twice as long as mines).

5) Canals displace other tile improvements with the exception of irrigation and road/railroad--this means that you cannot have a Mine, Fort, Airfield, Outpost, etc. on one.

6) Since they improve sea access, canals grant +1 commerce to squares that they pass through.

And as for movement through canal squares:

7) A Land OR a Sea unit of one Civ located in a canal square will block both Land AND Sea units of any other Civ from entering that square--attempting to do so results in combat IF the units are of the same movement type (both Land or both Sea)--however, Land units trying to move onto a Sea unit will fail and vice versa. However, any number of both Land and Sea units of the SAME Civ may simultaneously occupy a Canal square.

8) Entering canals within another Civ's territory is bound by the same diplomatic restrictions as entering the Civ's territory elsewhere.
Old August 1, 2002, 13:52   #26
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ijuin
6) Since they improve sea access, canals grant +1 commerce to squares that they pass through.
I can see it now...cities completely surrounded by canals and roads...no thank you.
Old August 2, 2002, 10:32   #27
Kramsib
Emperor

Perhaps we should restrict the canal improvement only for those squares which are joined by their vertex.

In the case of "Ground Cities near sea" perhaps an "external harbor improvement" on one coast square (only one per city) would be the best option.
Old August 2, 2002, 11:27   #28
phunny_pharmer
Chieftain

Canals were the most important invention in transportation prior to the railroad.

Surely, if we're going to allow railroads to move units all the way around a map, we've got to invent some way of getting the puny little ship through an isthmus...

Canal building should be a tech.
Old August 2, 2002, 12:03   #29
Beeblbrox
Settler

to avoid canals all round a city the trade bonus becomes obsolete with steampower (railroads) naturally as it did in real life
Old August 2, 2002, 12:59   #30
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

How about this:

The Panama (or Suez) Canal would be a great wonder.

It would allow a ship to transport from any water square in the city's (city that has the wonder) radius transport to any other water square in the city's radius.

That would end the naval unit's turn. The canal wouldn't be over 3 tiles long as both water tiles wouldn't be in the city's radius then would they? In order to capture the canal you would have to take the city, just like all wonders.

There would be only one (or two if you had both Panama and Suez) canal in the game.

And other civs could use it as they don't enter your city. It would be tied to ROP agreements like roads and railroads. Since it's a wonder you could set its upkeep cost to whatever you'd prefer.