Old July 30, 2002, 08:43   #1
Spoot
Settler

Local Time: 05:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hi, New to Boards, & Have a Question.
Hello Everyone,

Great to find this forum on SMAC.

I have a question about the game that I have not been able to figure out.

How Do I get units to "Load" on board a Transprot Ship?

I have tried clicking on the unit(s) I wanted loaded, then Right Click to bring up menu, then choose "Action..." then choose Load/Board. but nothing happens.

I have tried just pressing "L" when unit is selected.

I have tried pressing "L" on both the unit to load and the ship.

If someone could give me "STEP BY STEP" instructions on the proper way I would be most grateful and thankful.

Anyway, great to be part of this community now.

P.S. Ordered SMAX Guide (waiting for it to come), and SMAX is on its way in the mail!

Spoot
Old July 30, 2002, 08:52   #2
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Firstly, it depends on the relative positions of ship and unit.

If both the unit and the ship are in the same square (say, a base), then your method of pressing 'L' should work. The unit should move out with the ship next time the ship moves. Note that this assumes that the unit remains in "L" status - if the unit "wakes" for any reason (one of the options is to wake units whenever a hostile unit stands in the next square) it won't move with the ship. There also appears to be some movement-cost consideration, but I never really figured it out.

OTOH, if you're attempting to board a ship which is in an adjacent square to the unit, pressing "L" will not work (there's nothing in the current square to load onto). Instead, you need to move the unit directly into the square containing the transport. Simple as that.

Hope that answers it - let us know how you get on. Wlcome to the community!
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old July 30, 2002, 10:22   #3
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Chowlett
There also appears to be some movement-cost consideration, but I never really figured it out.
when you move the transport into a base, it doesn't cost movement points to unload you mean?

also something semi-irrelevant, but regarding transports, try putting an infantry transport (only 16 mins IIRC) in a sea base. it allows units to move freely from land to sea base without amphibious pods.
Old July 30, 2002, 12:05   #4
Spoot
Settler

Well, yes it does answer, and no as well.

I have had both units in the same square but they never seem to load.

Also, how does this work if you want to load a unit that is on the land into a Transport?

I have got a Transport to load a unit one time by pressing "L" for the unit having the Transpost in the same square, then making the Transport Fully Automatic.

But the problem with that was as soon as its turn came up it promptly unloaded the unit at the closest spot of land!

Also, what does (only 16 mins IIRC) mean?

Thanks,

Spoot
Old July 30, 2002, 12:12   #5
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
Quote:
Also, what does (only 16 mins IIRC) mean?
only 16 minerals If I Remember Correctly
Old July 30, 2002, 12:33   #6
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 22:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Spoot, if the transport is not already full, and the unit you are trying to load up is in the same tile, a port base, go into the "Action" menu and select 'Sentry/Board Transport' option. Then just take off with your transport and you will still be able to offload your unit in the same turn.

As you suggest that you might be new to the game, I hope I won't insult your intelligence by adding that only transport ships can move units. So any ships that can attack, except IoDs, cannot move land units.

IoDs -> Islands of the Deep
Old July 30, 2002, 12:40   #7
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

...and regarding your other question on loading for land units adjacent to a transport, simply use your arrow key to move the land unit right on to the transport, as has already been suggested. In this case you will not be able to move your unit off the transport in the same turn.

In the 'Preferences' screen you will find an option to not wake the land unit from the ship automatically when the ship becomes adjacent to land.

Finally, if you want to get good at the game, and maybe increase your enjoyment too, consider un-'autoing' everything.
Old July 30, 2002, 16:55   #8
spartak
King

Spoot - welcome. All questions will be answered here - some of which must have needed a disturbed mind to formulate.
Old July 30, 2002, 17:13   #9
Spoot
Settler

I want to say thank you to each of you for your help.

I will apply what you suggest.

Also, the only unit I automate (fully) are the Terraform units (both land and sea).

Should I not be doing this?

Is there a better way once you have 20 or 30 of them running around?

Thanks again.
Old July 30, 2002, 19:28   #10
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 19:11
Waddap Spoot! Glad to see ya in Apoly, the den of the crazy mofo's...

It sounds like your going about it the long way. This is what I do (which is fast for me)....that is, until my c.d. drive door broke and now I can't play ANYTHING now....
Transport

Bring your transport to the shore that is close to the unit you want to load.

When you select the unit, what I do, is use the NUMLOCK direction to move the unit directly onto the transport. Treat the transport like it is just another tile that your land unit can move on. If the transport isn't full, the unit should automatically load without having to right-click and selecting all that jazz....hope this sorta helps!

Auto-Terraforming ???-

I used to do this when I first started playing, but now I manually tell my formers what to do. Sure its tedious, but when I used to automate my formers, they'd fill every tile with roads and magtubes. This sucks cause when your territories are invaded, the other faction tends to use these roads to head straight for your bases.

Now I just build ONE road to each city. That way I can use it as a choke point for invading units.

Also, if you manually use formers, you can make "specialty" bases. Meaning, if you want one base to pump out units fast, you can surround it with mines to make production faster.

Lastly, if you have two formers on the same tile and want things to build faster (say a Borehole) you can tell both of them to build it and the time until completion is shortened.

Just some little pointers I picked up playing the game, Good Luck and welcome!

BAM!!!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old July 30, 2002, 20:14   #11
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Once you are familiar with the former hot keys, manual forming will be much quicker, although perhaps no less tedious.

The reason it is unusual to see an experienced player use the auto feature is partly because the autoformers make such poor choices. And also as Franky suggested you give up the opportunity to build speciality bases and energy parks if you are on auto.

In my very first game, the only one I used the auto feature, one of my formers built a circular road and then just kept doing laps. Another former seemed to enjoy road/mining rolling terrain.

So manual formers are an important edge. As is manual everything including governor, manually 'explore', and even manually overriding the tiles that are worked in a base. For example, the auto feature often maximizes nutrients for a base even when you have hit the hab limit.
Old July 31, 2002, 06:23   #12
Pandemoniak
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
about auto terraforming, you'd better just use the auto-orders by square. Meaning when ur former is on a suare you just tell farm/ solar/ road, or farm/ mine/ road, or borehole, etc... It makes the constant terraforming a bit less bothering, but forget about autoing the terraformers, since they really do lots of mistakes.
The only good thing they have for me is that they build captors, which I always forget
Old July 31, 2002, 07:22   #13
spartak
King

Captors?

Cto eto?
Old July 31, 2002, 07:41   #14
Pandemoniak
King

huh...

I mean those little things u build by pressing "O" and that gives you +25% bonus in any comabt that takes place in a range of two squares.
Old July 31, 2002, 08:13   #15
Spoot
Settler

Thank you all again for the advice. I now know what I was doing wrong in regard to loading units on Transports.

Well, I really was doing it right (just like you suggested) but what I was doing was clicking on the Transport after I gave units the "Load" command and I was expecting to see what was inside the Transport.

I did not realize that I had to move the Transport first! So every time I looked at the Transport it still showed the units in the base not the Transport.

I hope that made a little sense!!

Also, thanks for the help with the Terraformers I will now control them myself.

I know I did not say it (I guess I did not need to) but I am very new to SMAC. Just learning as a matter of fact. I have Civ. III, but I find SMAC much more interesting and fun. So I never learned how to play since I never played Civ. III that long.

I am sure I will have more questions as time passes, and it is great to be in a forum where people are friendly, helpful and swearing looks to be rare indeed!
Old July 31, 2002, 08:24   #16
Alex
Emperor

Welcome to the community and don't hesitate to ask questions about strategy and the game mechanics. The vets around here are always ready to answer them.
Old July 31, 2002, 08:29   #17
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 07:11
^^ Sensor Arrays :=)
I first thought u were talking 'bout Condensers...

In my Experiencethe AutoRoad- Option builds only straight Roads between the Bases.
I Tend to Automate my Formers at some Time.. usually when i hit the 120' Mark on my NonCombat-Units... :=)
Okay I like Huge Maps I have to permit.

Last edited by Main_Brain; July 31, 2002 at 09:22.
Old July 31, 2002, 10:25   #18
Pandemoniak
King

Right, sensor arrays...
Old July 31, 2002, 11:58   #19
Main_Brain
King

Who by the way should be build on the square you build your Base on (except with Domai.. My Terraformang can never keep up with his expanison )
Old July 31, 2002, 12:15   #20
Pandemoniak
King

why not with Domai ? I build capt... sensor arrays, I mean on the square of my base, most of time
Old July 31, 2002, 12:24   #21
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 23:11
I also like sensors on the base square but not so much that I will delay my expansion so the formers can catch up. Also I really like sensors on the extremities of my lands for a little more notice of folks floating by
Old July 31, 2002, 13:46   #22
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spoot
I have Civ. III, but I find SMAC much more interesting and fun
Aha! another one has crossed over from the dark side!

ah yes sensors. i play with the fog of war on so i can always see where i need them to go. if you don't know, fog of war darkens the tiles you don't have in your view (either by units, bases, sensors etc.). enemy units can sneak around in the fog of war and you won't be able to see them even if its in your territory. with the fog off, you can't tell which tiles you see and which you don't.
Old July 31, 2002, 14:03   #23
Pandemoniak
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spoot
I have Civ. III, but I find SMAC much more interesting and fun
One more of the Dark Side, indeed. Sounds funny, but hey, what if SMAC was REALLY far better than Civ III ?
Old July 31, 2002, 14:34   #24
Method
Emperor

it is

have you played it?

Old July 31, 2002, 17:05   #25
Main_Brain
King

I full Heartly Agree on Smac/X vs Civ3.
I dunno I think the Expectations were far too high on CivIII or it was just that %/% Corruption System which I hated, but that would lead to another Smaxc vs Civ Topic I'd like to avoid ;=)

@Pandemoniak: I simply cant keep up with my Colonilsation Efforts
With Domai You can expand and Grow at an INCREDIBLE Speed. And Im not talking about that Fluffy 100 Bases in 100 Turns thingie..
I mean in Planned.. -30% building cost of the CP +2growth.. drop demo in and yaaaaay
With other Factions I have to slow down at some Point to drop in a Former or two but Domai.. nope Sir keeps on going
Problem is that usually my first Formers get build fairly late.. I research C. Eco first but as all my initial bases will bump out CPs liek crazy..
So at first I lack Formers and later well it can be a real Pain to move Formers from your Core Bases to the Fringde
Also at the Beginning it takes quite an Amnount of Time to build a sensor, at your (safe?) Core bases a waste I experienced. Better build some BoreHoles instead , you also get the Problem that your Colony Pods really come faster rolling than you ncould prepare half of the Spots.
But the Main thing is that I choose Demo whenever i can and well the Formersupport .. Pain pain..
Old August 1, 2002, 03:55   #26
Pandemoniak
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Main_Brain
I dunno I think the Expectations were far too high on CivIII or it was just that %/% Corruption System which I hated, but that would lead to another Smaxc vs Civ Topic I'd like to avoid ;=)
Or is i just the governments that are oh my god so simplist compared to SE ?

Quote:
@Pandemoniak: I simply cant keep up with my Colonilsation Efforts
With Domai You can expand and Grow at an INCREDIBLE Speed. And Im not talking about that Fluffy 100 Bases in 100 Turns thingie..
I mean in Planned.. -30% building cost of the CP +2growth.. drop demo in and yaaaaay
With other Factions I have to slow down at some Point to drop in a Former or two but Domai.. nope Sir keeps on going
Problem is that usually my first Formers get build fairly late.. I research C. Eco first but as all my initial bases will bump out CPs liek crazy..
So at first I lack Formers and later well it can be a real Pain to move Formers from your Core Bases to the Fringde
Also at the Beginning it takes quite an Amnount of Time to build a sensor, at your (safe?) Core bases a waste I experienced. Better build some BoreHoles instead , you also get the Problem that your Colony Pods really come faster rolling than you ncould prepare half of the Spots.
But the Main thing is that I choose Demo whenever i can and well the Formersupport .. Pain pain..
Ok, right... Most of time, I get C. Ecology quite quickly and support them, so thats propably why I dont extend THAT fast...
Old August 1, 2002, 05:34   #27
Main_Brain
King

Yeah Its certainly true that the SE-choice raised my Expectations for Gov. styles

I place my Bases very close to each other(okay not Yang-close..) 2 free Spaces apart the most of 'em.
Well and as I generally auto. most of my Formers....
On the Bright Side on terraforming ist that my cityPlacing totally screws ZOC so that an Sensors in the Middle of 3/4 Bases is enuff ;=)
Old August 1, 2002, 17:12   #28
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG

when you move the transport into a base, it doesn't cost movement points to unload you mean?

also something semi-irrelevant, but regarding transports, try putting an infantry transport (only 16 mins IIRC) in a sea base. it allows units to move freely from land to sea base without amphibious pods.
TKG

Nice point on infantry transports. I've found them to be an interesting gambit. For those of you that have SMAX use of an infantry transport by Sven is a real boon.

Consider Sven's weaknesses. He is hampered by a -1 growth and a -1 efficiecny. This coupled witht he fact that he is normally sea bound which while rich in energy and nuts is starved for mins. Add to the fact that sea chassis units are expensive compared to the land alternatives and Sven seems to be a slow starter.

With the free pressure dome on the first two colony pods you have a bonus over the other factions. That rapidly disappears though as the other faction pump out cheap colony pods at 3 rows of mins verses 6 rows of mins(IIRC). So by investing early in an infantry transport you can take advantage of your free pressure dome and go land bound with infantry colony pods ASAP. Here also is a little tidbit, if you have any unit next to your seabase you can move the sea based units aground onto the unit. So, proceed as follows with SVEn,

1. Free 10 mins. build garrison unit for police purposes (or build infantry transport and nerve staple before you hit pop 2 at transcend level.) Infantry transport is 2 rows of mins so at 0 industry its a full 20 mins at +1 industry its 18 at +2 16 etc.

2. Time production of colony pod to coincide with pop 2 growth.

3. Load colony pod on infantry transport and move inland. (preferably on a river so that you can disembark your colony pod and move further inland and establish base all on the same turn.

Here are some other generic uses for infantry transports.

a. Early inthe game you can gain former turn adavantage by using your infantry transport to transport your former into a square and then start t-forming on the same turn.

b. Allows easier infiltration and probe actions as you can ahave a probe team outside speeder range and still strike. Likewise you can stay outside sensor range and have a probe team conduct actions from 3 squares out (4 if PT is elite and 5 if PT and Transport are elite) Triple those figures on roads.

I have come to really like these babies as they have fabulous utility all through the game. They can be used as garrisons during FM or other negative police to prevent worm rape.

Of all the factions though I think Sven and to a lesser extent Santi get a lot of use out of these babies as they come early inthe game to them (advent of Flexibility). Later inthe game the objective becomes a rush to D:AP, MMI, and fusion and the window of opportunity and usefulness becomes significantly shorter. But as I said for Sven who starts with flex and Santi who needs but one tech to get flex they can really offer some unique wartime and peacetime solutions.

Og

PS. By the by Spoot welcome aboard to the greatest TBS game made to date.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter