Old July 30, 2002, 15:44   #1
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 23:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Official: The Annales of Apolytonia
Here is the start of the history book of Apolytonia. I ask, nay, beg that the moderators make this one sticky!
----

THE ANNALES OF APOLYTONIA

Sometime, long forgotten, far in the past, mankind was born. Since the conception of this race of men, this single animal, among all others, has survived, flourished, and indeed, has triumphed. Though at first, man must have been up against incalculable odds, he has overcome these obstacles, and built cities. Overtime from cities there came kingdoms, and from kingdoms came empires. From empires there came civilizations. A city, indeed, a kingdom is not hard at all to find, but a civilization, this is different. A civilization is a people that have transcended the normal bounds of humanity. From making clubs out of flint, he makes swords out of iron, from drinking out of a stone bowl, to drinking out of a glass vessel; this is how civilization improves. And yet, civilization is more than moving up from stone to glass, it is leaving an indelible mark on humanity, creating words, thoughts, and matter, the likes of which are outstanding, and worth preservation. A civilization, like, say the Apolytonians, has done all this, but a barbarian kingdom like the Huns, for example, has not. Of course, we prideful Apolytonians, mindful of our great and worldly empire and civilization must remember above all things our past. We must also remember that we were once also barbarians like the vanished Huns, or the conquered Americans. It would serve us all now to create a lasting memory in words of the collected deeds and thoughts of the early Apolytonians, from their humble beginnings in the darkness of the jungle to the globe spanning empire of the present, and this is what I, Gaius Publius History Guy, have started the work of doing.

The legends of the beginnings of our race are many, and profuse. Such mythological characters as King Ming, the troll-smiter, have many different tales written of them, such as the voyage across the seas of King Ming to find the ‘infallible banana’, which was believed to hold the secrets of eternal life. Unfortunately, much of that tale is now lost to history, a sad testament of the need to preserve our past. Exactly where our peoples began as a kingdom is unknown as well. Apparently, it was in a far-away place called Egypt that the primitive men began to become civilized. Legends tell us of a once mighty kingdom, ruled over by the House of Pharaohs. No enemy, but one, could defeat the mighty Egyptians. Only small pieces of history from this dark period remain, including a tablet, carried from the forgotten city of Heliopolis, destroyed by the one nameless barbarian who conquered, but also fell to the avenging Egyptians, who fled the destroyed kingdom as nomads. The tablet shows a king preparing to smite a small individual with a huge, down turned mouth. Perhaps this is an image of King Ming, the troll-smiter. Other events have been recorded, but most are mythological. Two names of leaders still exist as well: Cleopatra, the final queen of Egypt, and Tutankamun. Exactly what they did is a mystery.

The nomads packed their bags in a hurry, leaving the burned out ruins of a once glorious past to the ravages of time. Treks down to the south, over seas, rivers, and mountains, have been recorded as a series of tales known as the Bananii, ‘the Wisdoms’, but most of them are probably concoctions of the ancient mind, and are filled with mythical creatures, and a menagerie of gods. One part, though, proven to be accurate, is the part written about a war against enemy barbarian tribes, deep in the heart of the jungle where our own civilization evolved. Evidence of this hundred-year fight has actually been discovered. According to the legends, the king of these nomads, in desperation, consulted a prophet, asking whether they should abandon the move south. The prophet responded that the king should push onward, and that if he did, he would not only defeat the enemy, but found the city that would become the capital of a mighty civilization, that would one day come to dominate the entire world.

The king then asked the prophet, “Where, O Prophet, will I build this city?” The prophet scratched his huge beard, pondered the question, and responded, “You shall build at a spot where you see a mighty fish shooting up sea-spray to your right, and a huge gathering of bananas to your left.” Apparently, this is what was discovered in the year 3950 BC. The sighting was remarkable, as to the left of the nomads was a jungle, and from a tall banana tree there hung a large clump of bananas, a symbol of wisdom to the ancient Apolytonians, and on the right there was the shore-line to the great sea. Sure enough, off shore a bit was a huge whale, coming up to the surface for air, and spouting out spray. Immediately, construction began on the city of Apolyton. Before the city was completed, however, the king died, leaving no heir, and so the great minds of the city gathered together and created a new form of government, that which is by the people, and for the people: democracy.

Last edited by History Guy; July 30, 2002 at 16:09.
Old July 30, 2002, 16:23   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Official: The Annales of Apolytonia
Great job!

/Edited so that Will 5001 wouldn't wine. Happy now?

Last edited by Nubclear; July 30, 2002 at 18:03.
Old July 30, 2002, 18:02   #3
Will 5001
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Tass, you didn't have to quote the entire post, you were the first to reply, thats just being greedy for the space!

Edit: Great work History guy

Edit again: Yes I am very happy now Tass

Last edited by Will 5001; July 30, 2002 at 18:12.
Old July 30, 2002, 18:10   #4
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 01:12
WOW. I like.
Send it to MarkG. He might post it on the news.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 30, 2002, 22:52   #5
themagicbanana
Settler

Re: Official: The Annales of Apolytonia
no,i do not like it. it is bad.
Old July 30, 2002, 22:54   #6
Edrix

Re: Re: Official: The Annales of Apolytonia
Quote:
Originally posted by themagicbanana
Either you're being sarcastic, or you don't realize that you need to back up agruments with specific points. Do you have any particular reasons for saying this?

BTW, I liked it. Just give us more of the same, and get caught up to our current time.

Old July 30, 2002, 22:56   #7
Kramerman
Prince

Thats good stuff
Old July 31, 2002, 01:05   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:12
Re: Re: Official: The Annales of Apolytonia
Quote:
Originally posted by themagicbanana
WOOP! WOOP! DL ALERT!

Send in the Mods!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 31, 2002, 01:51   #9
rush
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG The Mercenary Team
Prince

Local Time: 12:12
I don't like it. Too many commas !
Old July 31, 2002, 02:51   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Sush. We haven't had anything for 3000 years and now you complain?!

I might move to abolish elections for this position if the qualified individuals would feel more free to work.
Old July 31, 2002, 12:03   #11
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Thanks all for the enthusiastic responses...from the most of ye. I'm afraid I've hit something nasty here. Firstly, I can't find a complete list of the members of the last regime, and secondly, Unorthodox, who is doing some research for me, has discovered that due to editing by our last president, there is a 500 year gap early in our timeline, and we can't find evidence of what happened then. This is tough stuff indeed!
Old July 31, 2002, 12:26   #12
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:12
I like the commas. In my old age, I need every one to take a breath...
Great work, Mr. History Guy. And very necessary too.
About the 500 year gap, when exactly it has occurred? I mean, what years are missed?
Old July 31, 2002, 12:28   #13
Kuciwalker
Deity

I love it!
Old July 31, 2002, 13:04   #14
History Guy
King

Thanks again, everyone. The gap is from 3950 BC to 3250 BC. Any info is appreciated in this monumental effort! Thanks again.
Old July 31, 2002, 13:12   #15
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Yeah, specifically, when did the settler join, how long did he travel.

I proposed the following extrapilation.

Apolyton settled in 3950 five turns to make warrior brings us to 3700.

We can assume that the goodie hut was at least two turns away, or it would have been in culture borders, so we are now at 3600. Banana HQ was settled in 3400, now, did the settler move one or two squares? plus a turn to actually settle. Leaving us with a joining date of 3600 - 3500, likely 3550, but hard evidence would be nice.

When was the worker produced? A second warrior, etc. When did we discover the abandoned village...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 31, 2002, 14:03   #16
Captain
King

Local Time: 00:12
well, it's too late now, this thread has been tainted with extraneous comments, so i don't feel bad posting here. but i think we should have a dedicated topped thread with just the history so we can read it all at once, without having to hunt for it through all these extra posts about how great the stories are.

btw, the story so far is great!
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old July 31, 2002, 16:01   #17
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:12
Excellent work HIstory Guy !

When I sent you our raw turnlogs, There were holes in them. I don't know if this adrees willhelp, but I hope so : http://65.35.54.206:3000/Trip/Turn%20Log.html

And now, the previous cabinet, IIRC :

President : Trip
Vice President : Space05us then Timeline
Minister of Foreign Affairs : Ninot
SMC : UberKrux
Minister of science : Tassadar5000
Minister of public works : Eli
City Planner : Punkbass2000
Minister of Finance : civman2000 (don't capitalize the C)
Minister of Trade : Spiffor
Minister of Imperial Expansion : Timeline, then Jonny
Historian : HazieDaVampire

I think that's all.
Old August 1, 2002, 10:14   #18
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

That link got us a few more turns in:

End of turn 10, 3500 BC
Move settler NE, a mountain came into view

Turn 11, 3450 BC
Warrior 1 moves W
New warrior 2 in Apolyton fortifies there
Settler moves NE
Worker 1 builds road

Turn 12, 3400 BC
Warrior 1 moves NW, finds Goody Hut
Settler builds city 'Thebes'

Turn 13, 3350 BC
Warrior 1 moves NW, 1 tile away from goody hut
Worker 1 moves W and N towards the city of Thebes

Turn 14, 3300 BC
Apolyton builds Worker 2, which moves north towards Thebes
Warrior 2 in Apolyton goto command to Thebes
Warrior 1 moves W and uncovers Goody Hut: Deserted
Warrior 1 finds open plains and a French Warrior

So, i guess we are one step closer to the mystery. The settler still could have been discovered in 3500 earlier in the turn. (it was a 700 year gap, now it's 500...)

I've correlated the dates that civman and Space05s left office by comparing actual dates on the threads to the dates of reports. Still looking for when Timeline became VP, Jonny appointed MIE, and the Minister of Economy came into being (gotta find a report of the same date or close). Also have found dates for all parties creation, inculding a few forgotten parties. May have missed a few of the small ones that disbanded though. (sorry forgot all the particulars, PM'd all info to History Guy)

We will probably need a thread for just the history like captain said, but this research is desperately needed as well. More involved people=less work.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 1, 2002, 22:50   #19
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Apolytonian Language
Ok, History Guy (or who ever might know), When and where did we develope the Alphabet and writting? Or did we get it from another Civ? Only wondering because the language a civ speaks tells alot about the Civ. Take Quebec (spelling?) for instance. Its a French speaking province in an English speaking country. The result: several attemps to susceed from the country. I know that there are several other reason for these attemps, but it is just an example of the power of language.
Old August 2, 2002, 02:35   #20
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Our Alphabet is English, forgot about our writing.
The only techs we have researched on our own is Ceremonial Burial, Masonry and Bronze working.
It means our early religious traditions come from us, and have been spread in Abanaba major (the French techwhored it)
It means we have a very unique architecture one can find only in Iroquois empire, maybe elsewhere in Abanaba minor.
It means however, that our philospohy, mathematics, polytheism etc. are not ours. Same will go with construction and currency.

As alnguage is not a tech, I assume every Civ starts with its own language, passed down by many generations.
Old August 2, 2002, 10:03   #21
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain
well, it's too late now, this thread has been tainted with extraneous comments, so i don't feel bad posting here. but i think we should have a dedicated topped thread with just the history so we can read it all at once, without having to hunt for it through all these extra posts about how great the stories are.

btw, the story so far is great!
I agree with this. I have taken to using this thread to write my stories, as the glorious King Ming might do, when searching for a nasty troll.
Old August 2, 2002, 10:08   #22
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by jdjdjd

I agree with this. I have taken to using this thread to write my stories, as the glorious King Ming might do, when searching for a nasty troll.
That was a horrible analogy. Sorry.
Old August 6, 2002, 14:29   #23
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

great , we should have more of this stuff

have a nice day
Old August 7, 2002, 10:56   #24
History Guy
King

I know. I've got to get the second bit done. I hope I'll be able to run next month...I've got so little time these days!
Old August 7, 2002, 12:32   #25
godinex
Prince

Why You don´t eliminate all of the other stuff and let only the history ones?
Old August 8, 2002, 02:48   #26
carpathia
Chieftain

Thats good stuff. I like what you done here. Keep up the good work.
Old August 15, 2002, 18:50   #27
History Guy
King

By the way, I've resigned from the post. There is no other reason to it than that I really don't have the time. I am sorry to have to report this. If I had more time, I'd be glad to do this, but unfortunately, this cannot be the case, for now at any rate.

I put forward Unorthodox as my candidate for successor.

I myself shall be satisfied as a mere senator/patrician, living a quiet life. Perhaps I shall become a general, or a member of the government with little importance. As long as I have the time for that, it's OK.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:09   #28
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Sorry to see you go, you wrote quite well. Come back soon.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old August 17, 2002, 10:52   #29
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
By the way, I've resigned from the post. There is no other reason to it than that I really don't have the time. I am sorry to have to report this. If I had more time, I'd be glad to do this, but unfortunately, this cannot be the case, for now at any rate.

I put forward Unorthodox as my candidate for successor.

I myself shall be satisfied as a mere senator/patrician, living a quiet life. Perhaps I shall become a general, or a member of the government with little importance. As long as I have the time for that, it's OK.
hi ,

well , its a shame you go , ......we shall think about you ones in a while , ....

anyway , grab a case of banana on the way out , ....

Unorthodox shall do a good job , well he could learn from you , what do you expect , ...

have a nice live
Old August 17, 2002, 11:14   #30
History Guy
King

Thanks Panag. Unfortunately, Unorthodox can't take the job. The post is open for those who want it.

The case of bananas is great! I won't be leaving the game, just the post. I'll hang around in the shadows as a benevolent (well...most of the time) patrician and arm-chair (well...most of the time) tactician.