Old July 31, 2002, 00:48   #1
delsolsi
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Happiness
I thought I new how happiness worked. If you had luxeries or lux tax it gave you happy people, certain improvements give you content people. But then in this game I'm playing write now I have a city with population 7. I have 5 luxeries and the market place which makes 9 happy people, and a temple which make one content person. So as a pop 7 all my citizen should be happy, should they not? But I only have 6 happy citizens and one unhappy citizen. Am I missunderstanding how happiness works or is something else going on here?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	unhappy600.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	21030  
Old July 31, 2002, 02:57   #2
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 15:13
Heaps things can trigger unhappiness. Click on the unhappy face to find out the problem.

Has that city always been yours? (Foreigners can be unhappy) On that note, are you at war? It says 'republic' on the shot so if you are it may be war weariness.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 31, 2002, 03:51   #3
delsolsi
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar
Heaps things can trigger unhappiness. Click on the unhappy face to find out the problem.

Has that city always been yours? (Foreigners can be unhappy) On that note, are you at war? It says 'republic' on the shot so if you are it may be war weariness.
The unhappy citizen says "100% "Its just way to crowded"".

The city has always been mine.

Not at war nor have I ever been at war this game so war weariness is not the problem.

Here's the same city later on in the game http://home.earthlink.net/~del_sol/_...s/unhappy2.jpg I used a link because to attach the pic you have to shrink it down so far its hard to see. The pop is now up to 12. I have 6 luxeries which should equate to 12 happy people, temple, cathedral, and Sistine Chapel which should equate to 7 content people, meaning I should have up to pop 19 with out any unhappy people. I have 10 happy, 1 content, and 1 unhappy.
Old July 31, 2002, 04:35   #4
Sir Og
Prince

Local Time: 08:13
Quote:
I have 5 luxeries and the market place which makes 9 happy people,
The 5 luxuries give you 3 happy people when you have a marketplace and only 1 when you don’t. And I think that happiness also depends on the difficulty level that you play.
Old July 31, 2002, 04:54   #5
delsolsi
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Og

The 5 luxuries give you 3 happy people when you have a marketplace and only 1 when you don’t. And I think that happiness also depends on the difficulty level that you play.
I could be wrong but I don't think thats how it works, otherwise what would be the point of getting a sixth luxury if you have the marketplace or more than one if you don't. But I'm asking because I obviously don't know how it works.

As far as difficulty level this game is on regent, I looked at other saves on regent and noticed the same thing happening. I looked at two saves from warlord and one of them looked about the same as these games on regent and the other one had the right number of happy people but there were too few content people. I looked at one save from chiefton and it had too few happy people and too many content people.
Old July 31, 2002, 05:04   #6
delsolsi
Chieftain

I just had a thought.

Could it be that a citizen has to be content before he is happy. This game is on regent and I believe that you get two free content people, plus seven content from temple, cathedral, and Sistine Chapel equals nine content citizens. Nine of my twelve happy faces make those nine content citizens happy. Two of the remaining three happy faces make the tenth citizen content and then happy. The last happy face makes the eleventh citizen content. Leaving the twevleth citizen unhappy.

Does this sound right, or was it just coincidense that the numbers worked out in this case?
Old July 31, 2002, 05:12   #7
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 07:13
Yes, delsosi. That is exactly how it works. Nice to see you figured it out yourself.

Sir Og, each happy face from luxuries is counted, i.e. on the screenshot, the city gets 9 happy faces and would get 5 if they didn´t have a Marketplace. Conclusion: marketplaces are a must in bigger cities.
Old July 31, 2002, 06:12   #8
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 15:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane
Conclusion: marketplaces are a must in bigger cities.
They're a must anywhere mate, unless you want a negative economy

Not much else to know, delsolsi. Unhappiness has always been a big part of civ, but with luxuries the problem can be easily handled.

Not too much you can do about overcrowding. Not too much to worry about either. Big citites take a bit to riot.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 31, 2002, 13:39   #9
delsolsi
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar

They're a must anywhere mate, unless you want a negative economy

Not much else to know, delsolsi. Unhappiness has always been a big part of civ, but with luxuries the problem can be easily handled.

Not too much you can do about overcrowding. Not too much to worry about either. Big citites take a bit to riot.
I wasn't worried about my happiness. I was just trying to figure how it worked because I new it wasn't working how I thought it was. I'm normally happy as long as I don't have to have any entertainer's or spend money on the lux slider. I haven't noticed any difference between we love the king day and not haveing it.
Old July 31, 2002, 13:57   #10
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 22:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
I haven't noticed any difference between we love the king day and not having it.
WLTKD can DOUBLE your production -- especially if you are generating only 1 shield due to corruption!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 31, 2002, 15:12   #11
delsolsi
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe

WLTKD can DOUBLE your production -- especially if you are generating only 1 shield due to corruption!
Are there other factors to the increased production other than WLTKD, because I have never noticed this. Just to make sure I looked at the game I'm currently playing, went to a city that didn't have WLTKD, took a screen shot http://home.earthlink.net/~del_sol/_...s/preWLTKD.jpg . Then I turned up the lux slider to induce WLTKD, I waited a couple of turns, then went back to the city and found that I had the same production. Heres a screen shot of the city during WLTKD http://home.earthlink.net/~del_sol/_uimages/WLTKD.jpg .

EDIT: fixed links.

Last edited by delsolsi; July 31, 2002 at 15:18.
Old July 31, 2002, 15:21   #12
delsolsi
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by delsolsi

Are there other factors to the increased production other than WLTKD, because I have never noticed this. Just to make sure I looked at the game I'm currently playing, went to a city that didn't have WLTKD, took a screen shot http://home.earthlink.net/~del_sol/_...s/preWLTKD.jpg . Then I turned up the lux slider to induce WLTKD, I waited a couple of turns, then went back to the city and found that I had the same production. Heres a screen shot of the city during WLTKD http://home.earthlink.net/~del_sol/_uimages/WLTKD.jpg .

EDIT: fixed links.
I was just looking at the screen shots again and noticed that the total number of shields didn't change, but during WLTKD there was one less shield lost to corruption.
Old July 31, 2002, 15:41   #13
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 22:13
WLTKD reduces shield wastage by 25%. Without WLTKD in your first screen shot, you're only losing 2 shields - I wouldn't have been surprised to see wastage unchanged (25% of 2 is 0.5).

A better lesson on the powers of WLTKD would be to look at one of your outlying cities, preferably one that produces a fair number of shields (10 plus), but that also loses a lot of shields to waste. Induce a WLTKD in that city and you will better appreciate a celebrating empire.

Catt

Edited for typos.

Last edited by Catt; July 31, 2002 at 15:48.
Old July 31, 2002, 15:59   #14
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 06:13
Yet another fine effect of WLTKD is a (highly?) reduced pollution. In one of my past games, I was in a peaceful democracy. I had all my cities producing as much as possible (I always have... ), while having almost all the luxuries and even 10% of my income allocated to luxury. A nation-wide WLTKD. Even though I was well into the industrial era, having factories everywhere, there was almost no pollution... until one of my neighbours (happily supplying me with two precious luxuries until the very turn) declared war on me. I lost WLTKD in most cities and pollution started to appear right and left, up and down... I couldn't believe it was just a coincidence, WLTKD must affect pollution levels, too...
Old July 31, 2002, 21:44   #15
Yit
Settler

Local Time: 23:13
Perhaps waste not only means being unefficient, but perhaps also means industrial waste?
Old August 1, 2002, 00:57   #16
RedBird
Warlord

Local Time: 00:13
Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
Yet another fine effect of WLTKD is a (highly?) reduced pollution.
[...]
I couldn't believe it was just a coincidence, WLTKD must affect pollution levels, too...
I don't buy it. First of all, it makes no sense (I could see the opposite: that pollution would make people unhappy, but I don't believe the game does that either). Second of all, I've had similar situations (going into and/or out of WLTKD's), and I saw no affect on pollution. I think it was a coincidence.

Old August 2, 2002, 12:37   #17
heidlejohn
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
WLTKD reduces shield wastage by 25%. Without WLTKD in your first screen shot, you're only losing 2 shields - I wouldn't have been surprised to see wastage unchanged (25% of 2 is 0.5).

A better lesson on the powers of WLTKD would be to look at one of your outlying cities, preferably one that produces a fair number of shields (10 plus), but that also loses a lot of shields to waste. Induce a WLTKD in that city and you will better appreciate a celebrating empire.

Catt

Edited for typos.
Agreed. WLTK is very useful in cities with shield loss due to corruption. I use it a lot to build courthouses, marketplaces, temples, etc.

The biggest problem with WLTK is that it is very difficult to KEEP your city in WLTK mode. As soon as population increases or a mega-empire change happens, you have to go back to that city. Even when you have pop-ups enabled like I do, you too often have to poke around and figure out which city's 'happiness status' changed.

Civ2 had an advisor report which didn't pop up then disappear during the production cycle messages. Another example of unnecessary tedium in Civ3. There should be a 'mood' change report which you can access anytime to see what changed in a city and figure out how to change it. Why should I have to get a glance of a pop up message and then start poking around to find that city. F1 is useless if you have lots of cities and trying to discern a content from an unhappy citizen can be difficult. A report that you can click on would have reduced a lot of unncessary tedium to keep a city in WLTK mode.
Old August 2, 2002, 13:15   #18
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:13
Quote:
Originally posted by heidlejohn
Trying to discern a content from an unhappy citizen can be difficult.
Try this little graphic mod: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=34323
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old August 2, 2002, 15:28   #19
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

You can click on the unhappy faces to see why their happy!?!?!?!

You learn something new everyday...

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old August 4, 2002, 02:12   #20
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Happiness is always the universal problem