Old July 31, 2002, 15:46   #1
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 01:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Please help me.
OK, maybe you saw my first monarch game. I obviously am not good enough to step it up to that level. So this time i stepped it down a notch to regent. i think i did alot better this time, especially at placing my cities. but i think a few of em could have been alot better placed.

China

Regent

Continents

70%

All others normal.

Ok, i built most of my core cites that you see now. I dedided i was gonna play a more peaceful game. But im not gonna make the same mistake as last time. I decided i was gonna build up an army of horsemen, just in case. Also, the horsemen will quickly be able to be upgraded to Riders as soon as i discover chivalry.

Good thing, as soon as i had built up about 8-10 horsemen, the Romans declared war on me. Next thins i know, the english do the same. Holy crap, i swear the Romans spearmen have defence of like 8. I lost mostly all of my horsie's to their spears. I had to make peace with the English. But no mercy for Rome. They will die. By this time im already in a Republic, and im wondering how long i can hold up without major war weariness kikin in. i put a drive on for chivalry. I get it, the beat the livin crap out of Rome with my Riders. "Mwahahaha,im gonna kill them", i thought. But then, all my cities go into dissorder. " Uhhhh, peace please", so i get everything Ceasar has for peace ( which wasnt too much). And that is where i am now.

i dont know if i should keep building riders, of focus more on granarys, librarys ect.....

So, can i get some comments please

( i promise i wont save over it this time )
Attached Files:
File Type: sav mao of the chinese, 1500 bc.sav (139.0 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by trickey; July 31, 2002 at 16:38.
Old July 31, 2002, 16:26   #2
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
By this time im already in a monarchy, and im wondering how long i can hold up without major war weariness kikin in. i put a drive on for chivalry. I get it, the beat the livin crap out of Rome with my Riders. "Mwahahaha,im gonna kill them", i thought. But then, all my cities go into dissorder. "
Umm... you must have been a republic, then. Monarchy experiences no war weariness. None whatsoever. If you were a Monarchy, your cities went into disorder for other reasons.

Were those Roman spears or Legionaries? Big difference. It may be, however, that you experienced some bad combat rolls.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 31, 2002, 16:28   #3
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:15
I'm taking a look now.

One thing I can tell you, though, is that you needn't worry about war weariness under Monarchy. It's only a problem under Republic and Democracy.
Old July 31, 2002, 16:39   #4
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Oh, my typo, im in a Republic. And yes, they were speamen. I just got a string of bad luck
Old July 31, 2002, 16:41   #5
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:15

Yeah, what Arrian said.

I see that you are in Republic, though. If you intend to (or are forced to) fight a long war it might be better to change to Monarchy. If you think the Anarchy caused by the change is gonna be better for you than the widespread disorder then it'll be worth it.

The save you posted is from 790 AD, but the name of the file says 1500 BC, is this the one you wanted comments on? ...

You're gonna get them anyway.

You seem to be doing OK, but you probably should have destroyed either the English or Romans (English would prolly have been easier) in the early stages. I know you wanted to play peacefully, but to be honest it is far harder to play peacefully if you're squeezed into a narrow strip of your continent. If you had taken the English land in the ancient age then you would have been far stronger by now and could have played peacefully from then on. As it stands now you're forced to go to war with Civ's that are a decent size and the war won't be easy.

About the build orders: If you're gonna go to war, then really go for it! Build more riders and some pikemen to fortify in conquered cities and let the Romans have it with both barrels. There's nothing wrong with granaries and libraries - they're great buildings - but you need to win the war first IMHO.

I've just moved up to my first Monarch game (playing as Egypt) and it's going great. I might have stayed playing too long on Regent, but I was in no rush.
Old July 31, 2002, 17:01   #6
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Sound advice: if you have the ability, go for the kill. Wipe out your opponent if you can. Having a strong military available will allow you to fight short, decisive wars.

China is a wonderful early warmonger civ. They are perfectly designed for an early archer rush to knock out or cripple 1-2 neighboring civs. Then you can use horsemen/swordsmen to finish the job. Any holdouts can be crushed with those awesome Riders. If you achieve continental domination, you can build peacefully to your heart's content, and you will be rich and powerful, so being prepared to smack down any pesky overseas civs should be a snap.

In short: break, then build.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 1, 2002, 07:26   #7
trickey
Prince

Thanks alot for the help guys. I decided to go to war with Rome, took em out in about 4 turns next is france.