Old July 31, 2002, 17:10   #1
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
3rd Apolyton CtP2 SP Tournament: 1 August - 1 September 2002
After only a short delay this time, here's the third tournament. One thing to be alert about is that the autosave is stored in the folder Wilhe, not in LeifE as one would expect from a Vikings game. A weird bug, but it doesn't affect the game so I decided to let it live...

This month, the tournament is played with GoodMod for Apolyton Pack, as I announced earlier (but not with the ultra-gigantic version as I wanted, there were too many problem in setting everything up). Installation instructions are on the website (see below for link). Martin made an update for this mod just a few days ago, so make sure you have the latest version (v0.993), see websites for download/update/forum links if needed.

I had a look at the map (and even made some minor alterations, but only minor ones) and, although this is not the game I originally had in mind, I think it will be an interesting one. Without wanting to give away too much, the beginning may or may not be great, but I think that later on in the game it's pretty much guaranteed to get interesting...

Good luck to all participants! And please people, play! Last month's edition had only 4 official entries

Theme: Rulers of the Seas
Mod: GoodMod1 for Apolyton Pack v0.993
Level: Hard
Size: Huge Map
Barbarians: Raiders
Ocean-Land: 0%
Island-Continent: 30%
Wet-Dry: 70%
Warm-Cold: 30%
Uniform-Diverse: 70%
Few Goods-Many Goods: 70%
World shape: Doughnut
Bloodlust: Off
Pollution: On
Civilization: Vikings
Opponents: 7 (Dutch, English, Indonesians, Polynesians, Arabs, Indians, Phoenicians)
Victory types allowed: All

Game file

Website
Old July 31, 2002, 18:34   #2
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:16
Thanks locutus. Rulers of the Seas, that sounds ominous.
Old July 31, 2002, 20:26   #3
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 22:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I can only join this one or the MP tourny so I hope you don't mind if I choce MP.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 1, 2002, 12:24   #4
HuangShang
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

i love how the first hut's so close... but i wonder wheres all the water
Old August 1, 2002, 15:12   #5
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by HuangShang
i love how the first hut's so close... but i wonder wheres all the water
The water is around you, you have first to research a tech that allows a deep ocean chip, to leave it.

By the way was someone of you able to build a wonder in the early game?

-Martin
Old August 1, 2002, 16:10   #6
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

-Martin
I was able to build the Pyramids first (I don't remember the year). And IIRC, I had the tech to build the Great Wall but was WAY too far behind others Civs working on it to get there before them.
Old August 1, 2002, 16:57   #7
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 05:16
400 ADish - Still stuck on that stupid island. I'm behind in tech and probably everything else but it won't be long before I get Longships and launch my invasion (which will probably be crushed easily).
Old August 1, 2002, 17:28   #8
HuangShang
King

i just noticed while playing it... what GoodMod does it use?
i mean the good mod for which mod... or did i install .993 wrong?
do they all work
Old August 1, 2002, 18:41   #9
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Goodmod for the Super Apolyton Pack
Old August 1, 2002, 19:44   #10
HuangShang
King

Oh... than i restarted for nothing ... to bad

i had to turtle b/c of the barbs anyway
Old August 1, 2002, 20:12   #11
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal
I was able to build the Pyramids first (I don't remember the year). And IIRC, I had the tech to build the Great Wall but was WAY too far behind others Civs working on it to get there before them.
Yeah I was also able to build the Ramajana, I concentrated on it so I was finished as all the other civs where just starting it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Turambar
400 ADish - Still stuck on that stupid island. I'm behind in tech and probably everything else but it won't be long before I get Longships and launch my invasion (which will probably be crushed easily).
May your invasion as succesfull as this one. (I lost four cities to this AI all the cities on this island accept the capital.) That was worth a reload.

-Martin
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	invasions.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	21192  
Old August 2, 2002, 00:53   #12
Shadow
Warlord

Local Time: 15:16
Hey folks,

Count me in, glad to see I'm finally here in time for one of these tournaments.

Looks pretty exciting so far.

Shadow
Now the fat lady's singin'...
Old August 2, 2002, 01:24   #13
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:

-Martin
I got soooo close to the Chichen Itza. About 3 turns to be exact. I was about 7 turns from completion then the popup came that Saladin was nearing completion etc so i switched after a few turns, fearing he would beat me to it.
Old August 2, 2002, 01:31   #14
Maquiladora
Emperor

Quote:
May your invasion as succesfull as this one. (I lost four cities to this AI all the cities on this island accept the capital.) That was worth a reload.
Isnt that cheating?
Old August 2, 2002, 08:13   #15
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Isnt that cheating?
Quote:
Torunament Rules
- You can submit only one game
I can only submit one game, so what should I do if I lose half of my empire? Or what is this method just using slaveres to increase your city size to extremly high numbers waiting until they will revolt and form a new nation and then you conquere them. Or what is if all your cities in the early game are conquered by Barbarians will you submit this conquerd by force loss?

-Martin
Old August 2, 2002, 08:49   #16
Maquiladora
Emperor

Quote:

I can only submit one game, so what should I do if I lose half of my empire? Or what is this method just using slaveres to increase your city size to extremly high numbers waiting until they will revolt and form a new nation and then you conquere them. Or what is if all your cities in the early game are conquered by Barbarians will you submit this conquerd by force loss?

-Martin
If you lost 4 cities on that main first island that would leave you with around 2/3 cities? I built 7 cities on the main first island, i think you would be able to retake those cities within enough time of rebuilding. Thats the challenge. I dont know the exact rules on reloading a turn though. Would i be able to reload if i lost 1 city? or what about 2? I suppose its open to interpretation. I dont mind anyway, at least its better than restarting the whole game.
Old August 2, 2002, 12:05   #17
HuangShang
King

you can restart right... just not submit anything after the first game right?????????... hope not... i probably can't win the try
Old August 2, 2002, 13:24   #18
Maquiladora
Emperor

As i understood it, thats what the unofficial ranking was for. If you restart the game because you lost your second city to a barbarian, that isnt such a big deal. But if you continually reload a turn or worse, restart the game just because something happened you didnt prepare for, then it should be only entered into the unofficial ranking.
Old August 2, 2002, 13:26   #19
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
you can restart right... just not submit anything after the first game right?????????... hope not... i probably can't win the try
In my opinion you can play as much games as you want and submit the best one, actual no one has to admit that he restarted it. I think it depends on the time one player has left if the tourny would be near the dead line then it is something different last time I hadn't the time to restart also I wished, so that's one diadvantage that have the late ones. For the submission thing you can only submitt one game for the official stats, but you can submit as much as you want. And I think Locutus will use the best one if you didn't said anything else.

For the small invasion: I already decided as the AI got the first city to watch the results, so I didn't asked for peace, it could have been very likely that they accepted, but I wanted to watch the disaster, so in the end it were four of five cities on the mean island my Capital was only left, I already lost on another small island a city to that AI, so far I didn't retake it. So that left four cities on somewere on the map.

Actual we all play this tourny game for our own fun, as long it is a single player game it is our own thing how we play. Maybe I would have to restart some turns earlier anyway, I already had some problems with the stability in the last tourny game, so how stabil is the game for you?

-Martin
Old August 2, 2002, 13:35   #20
Maquiladora
Emperor

The game is actually very stable for me. Except for that in the last tournament, when i crashed to desktop in the late game. But i carried on with that game and it hasnt made me restart.

Yes, the tournament is for fun, but its also to compare our skills to other people. So i think its fair for someone to admit they reloaded continually. If they restart the game or reload more than once or twice the it should be unofficial. I can think of many ways to gain an advantage by knowing where all the other civs are, or where the first island is for example.
Old August 2, 2002, 15:17   #21
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:

-Martin
In the 2nd tournament game, creating a "new cheat" was of course not my intention. I was simply playing with the features that the mod provided. Yes, this caused a lot of revolts, and boosted the score, but the intention of taking slaves was definitly not to cause revolts. All of the revolting was a supreme pain in the a$$ believe me. After getting to the point that I had the max cities for my government, I had three choices killing all of the inhabitants of the newly conquered cities, expanding my empire, or enslaving. Since, I didn't want to expand my Empire to far past the max for the government, I chose slavery. This way at least some benefit would come from conquering the cities, and I wouldn't feel quite so Evil.
Old August 2, 2002, 15:29   #22
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:

If you lost 4 cities on that main first island that would leave you with around 2/3 cities? I built 7 cities on the main first island, i think you would be able to retake those cities within enough time of rebuilding.
Its about 450 AD and I am at 9 cities. I jammed 8 cities on the Island of the Mighty Viking Nation and have managed to mount a cross water attack to take Argos which was in the hands of the Barbarians. Early in the game, when I thought my land was Barbarian free, I left a city undefended which they destroyed and I rebuilt. Right now I'm third from the bottom overall and lagging behind in the important military and science categories. Fun game though.
Old August 2, 2002, 16:30   #23
HuangShang
King

Quote:
As i understood it, thats what the unofficial ranking was for. If you restart the game because you lost your second city to a barbarian, that isnt such a big deal. But if you continually reload a turn or worse, restart the game just because something happened you didnt prepare for, then it should be only entered into the unofficial ranking.
DONE... i didn't get far before any how
Old August 2, 2002, 22:53   #24
HuangShang
King

yo... if anyone wants to know... heres how im doing

the polynese(purple) attacked the dutch(orange) and took the Dutch's smallest city.
by the time i lauch my first longship, the dutch already built the ramajana, the aristles place(what'dou call that, and the haga sofia. with many peacemeal attacks, i've conquer(long lost) that city many times over. the thing was... few unit were defending the city... but there were two 12stack just outside. finally... w/ one big push, i took the city for good. The first stack that tried to retake the city lost and the other ran... so much for moral .
i just discovered gunpowerer + canons + the ship of the line one. the greeks (green were already in indy )were already in indy ang w/ railroads. luckily... i threathened them into an allegiance!
purple already hated me b/c they and i are both on that island. purple's city on dutch's ilse revolted to Mayan and i musterd an allegiance with the one city nation.
oh yeah... i built a fortification just out side purple's caital but i have to get a unit over there... the AI were building fortifications too
didn't biuld any wonders myself yet... by the time i could leagally start... the AI already built it... ny wonders build list is always empty

so far so good... started bad b/c of barbs but havent seen them since

the greeks gave up the allegiance easy... but no one will give me any advances i have the worst sci and 7th even w/ 3 wonder

oh yeah... i couldnt fit more the seven on the starting island
Old August 3, 2002, 10:14   #25
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
purple already hated me b/c they and i are both on that island. purple's city on dutch's ilse revolted to Mayan and i musterd an allegiance with the one city nation.
Why you didn't take the city, if a city revolts in CTP2 all the units in are destroyed, so it was empty.

Quote:
the greeks gave up the allegiance easy... but no one will give me any advances i have the worst sci and 7th even w/ 3 wonder
Can you already build spies if yes use them.

-Martin
Old August 3, 2002, 13:31   #26
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

OK the year 2300AD I have two Transports in front of Agros loaded with a total amount of ten Marines, just land them in Agros and the game is won.

-Martin
Attached Files:
File Type: zip marting-wilhe-viki-2300n.zip (263.6 KB, 43 views)
Old August 3, 2002, 14:35   #27
HuangShang
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin G?mann

Why you didn't take the city, if a city revolts in CTP2 all the units in are destroyed, so it was empty.

Can you already build spies if yes use them.

-Martin
1. i don't have spies so i'm trying to threathen the Mayans to give me advances

2. i forgot to add that the arabs(light blue) conquered another nation

3. and i just declared war on india... attacking peacemeal again... didn't get anywhere... they unlike the dutch... defended their cities instead of having stacks "on call"

4. so far... only 6 enemies left

its amazing how you won already... i cant play for a while though
Old August 3, 2002, 14:46   #28
HuangShang
King

oh and india's the one thats 8th W/ 3 cits

all the wonders except one is under me and greece

i have yet to meet the other wonder holding nation... although i've pretty much have the entire world mapped out
Old August 3, 2002, 14:51   #29
HuangShang
King

deleted DP

Last edited by HuangShang; August 5, 2002 at 11:44.
Old August 3, 2002, 14:54   #30
HuangShang
King

darn... why cant i delete that post

Last edited by HuangShang; August 3, 2002 at 15:30.