Old July 31, 2002, 21:39   #1
Donal Graeme
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 21:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New idea to help out the SMC...
I have an idea that is not especially useful at this point in the game, but could prove useful later. I am not aware of anyone posting anything about this before, so here goes:

Later in the game we will end up with a large number of military units, be they land units, ships or planes. As the numbers grow it will be very difficult for the SMC to keep track of them. So I suggest that we create one of two possible new positions. First off are the Deputy Ministers of the Army, Navy and (eventualy) Airforce. They will be directly responisible to the SMC, and it will be their job to keep track of their respective field, making sure that everything is in order, and that no unit is forgoten about. Later in the game, when we try to get through turn-chats as quickly as possible, this will help speed things up. Especially during a war.

The second possibility is the creation of military governors, who will keep track of specific regions of the map(theaters of battle), or perhaps even specific groups of units. They could be integrated into the concept of provinces that is being discussed even now.

So what does everyone think?

P.S. I am not a member of the War Academy, so I didn't make this a War Academy topic. I also talk about my idea for Deputy Foreign Ministers in place of ambassadors in the Foreign Affairs Minister Campaign thread.
Old July 31, 2002, 21:52   #2
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 05:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010

good ideas

perhaps a deputy for home defence.
Old July 31, 2002, 22:02   #3
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 01:16
'commanders' have been discussed but i like the idea of just 3 deputies.

*Strength and Honor!*
Old July 31, 2002, 22:17   #4
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 23:16
Army, Navy, and Aiforce are not the likely breakdown. Theater of operation sounds good, and may become neccessary if we find ourselves in a multi front war. Basically this is now up to the SMC as it is, if he feels he neds help, he can appoint assistants however he sees fit.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 31, 2002, 22:27   #5
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:16
Commanders are definitely a good idea. But I think this should be left to the SMC; he'll know when he needs help, and can always organize something then.
Old July 31, 2002, 22:27   #6
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Yea, I think it'd be better (instead of having Army, Navy, and Airforce) to just give various commanders control of various units.

For instance, there could be a "Deputy for Home Defense" to use OPD's suggested title. That person's job could be to make sure all cities have adequate defense and, should he find that a city needs extra defense, it would be his job to approch the appropriate ministers and request units that could be built. If we ever got into a large scale war, armies could be created and assigned commanders -- each commander would have the job of building his/her army, taking his/her assigned objectives, and holding these objectives until the deputy of home defense is assigned to take responsibility for their protection (which would happen once the battlefront is moved up). The SMC could play a more central planning role, and could also help disputes between commanders -- if nothing else, units assigned to one commander should be released to another if there's need, a decision that could be trusted to the SMC (after discussing with both commanders).

Though this isn't necessary now, it might be a very efficent (and interesting) way of organizing the military should we ever be put in an ongoing Modern War.

-- adaMada
Old August 2, 2002, 14:42   #7
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Sounds kinda like the phionetian (sp?) governer/district idea, but not just applied to regions cities, growth, etc., but to the art of making war. Hopefully, we will not be making so many enemies at once as to need this. But interesting ideas non the less. Keep in mind once we get into the industrial age.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old August 2, 2002, 15:00   #8
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 23:16
I doubt when we get to the modern age we will care much about keeping tract of verey single military unit: more importantly is what will happen to turnchats: do we have the SMC and his advisor, if any, issue commands for every unit and stack? and what about when we have bombarment units? Does the prez have to report the outcome of every single attack? (temple hit, fail, lib hit, fail, kill citizen, kill citizen, fail, do 1 HP damage to inf. )? We may have to think of a new way of handling turnchats if we come to this point.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 2, 2002, 16:26   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

No offense, but actually I plugged this idea for quite a while at the beginning of the game.
Old August 2, 2002, 16:31   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
No offense, but actually I plugged this idea for quite a while at the beginning of the game.
yea and i dismissed it as useless this early in the game.

Skywalker (back when we was sane and cohearent) basically wanted me to appoint "generals" to manage certain areas.

For example: one for defense, and one for "the French front".

this is useless now, but later in the game, when we may be fighting multiple people or simply larger areas, it will definately come in handy.
Old August 2, 2002, 16:33   #11
Kuciwalker
Deity

No, I mean before the Game even started, when we were still setting it up.