Old August 1, 2002, 09:17   #1
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
War Academy : Imminent danger
It is undoutedly useful to prepare contingency plans (what if ...), but it is different to answer an immediat threat. On all our quite extended border there is now one, and only one, area which is not sure although of vital importance : Uberorsk and the road from BananaHQ.

Uberorsk was settled in competing with the representatives of the Immortals, which further showed their continued interest in the area in settling Sidon, close to Uberorsk. So we are litterally in contact with them.

A cultural expansion of Munich would cut off our access to the iron.

The AI is often quite good at attacking the weak points. This is presently a weak point.

Sir Ralph has underlined the urgence of a new city south of Munich, and two others are contemplated north and west of Munich in view of a cultural flip.

How long would take those steps, and then how many turns before Munich flips, expecting that during all those turns the potential ennemies from the north and the est do not move ?

This tread is opened to discuss the immediat assault of Munich, which would enable us to establish a clean border with the Germans and would secure our access to Uberorsk.
Old August 1, 2002, 09:39   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Good to see this question raised! Here's my opinion:

It's unlikely, that Munich expands very soon, because it's a jungle city with low production, and it has to expand twice (100 culture) to cut us off completely.

But we shall be prepared, when it does. I would build the city S of Munich, even if it's useless production-wise. It is strategical important. Very. I would play out our religious strength and rush a temple in it ASAP, later may be a library, or a cathedral (both 80 shields). Cities in N and E of Munich would help to squeeze it, and to cut it from the German mainland. But the Persians and Germans may be quicker to fill these spots, because they are closer to them than to us.

I'm strongly against a war with Germany right now. One at a time, and our immediate neighbors France and America are more important for now. Once we have crippled both, we should consolidate our infrastructure. Germany and Greece might be an issue later for Knights. But for this we need the iron in Ubergorsk. 2 settlers are currently built. If we can cut off Munich from Germany with them, we will do so. If not, we'll build one of these cities N or E of Munich, and one on spot 7.
Old August 1, 2002, 09:49   #3
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

You assume that Germany and Persia will not move ; you are certainly right, but I'll share totally your opinon when Bismark will tell us he is strongly against a war with Apolytonia !
Old August 1, 2002, 09:55   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:18
And why not double the chances of keeping Iron by building city 1 as proposed in the thread on likely city positions? Sure it is best to keep both, but if we build this city ASAP, we have two Iron deposits to defend, certainly better odds than just one. And no sodding Germans near city 1. This should be our first city, with a temple in Ubergorsk high on our lsit also. Second should be the city that helps connect us to Ubergorsk, and then we should be mostly prepared for our Swordsmen stampede.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 1, 2002, 09:58   #5
Robber Baron
Prince

Local Time: 00:18
And then, as suggested elsewhere, we should devote a stack of workers to clearing out the jungle surrounding both Ubergorsk and the new city. (One thing we can do better than either Germany or Persia is dig -- we're industrious.)
Old August 1, 2002, 10:04   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Robber Baron
One thing we can do better than either Germany or Persia is dig -- we're industrious.
Now can you dig THAT

SUCKAAAAAAAAA!

(Sorry, couldn't help it. Blame the pub crawl I just got back from. )

Our workers are best employed where there are unoptimised tiles in use, WHEREVER they are.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 1, 2002, 10:07   #7
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
And why not double the chances of keeping Iron by building city 1 as proposed in the thread on likely city positions? Sure it is best to keep both, but if we build this city ASAP, we have two Iron deposits to defend, certainly better odds than just one.
You are right, but dont forget, that both the iron and the city shall be connected. This takes time. I hope we can get the 2nd iron source in France. The city in the north (1) is an issue for the settlers to come. We must make priorities now. Ubergorsk is important not only for the iron. It's also our gate to Persia.
Old August 1, 2002, 10:37   #8
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 23:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

(Sorry, couldn't help it. Blame the pub crawl I just got back from. )

Yes, when is that stack being assembled? We must get to the iron.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 1, 2002, 12:59   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 01:18
We should prebuild 10 shields and poprush a temple.
Old August 1, 2002, 14:14   #10
GoodFella
Warlord

Local Time: 05:18
Persia does not yet have a connected source of iron, their only source I believe is just outside one of their cities. I'm thinking if we went to war with Persia instead of France we might be able to cut them off from iron for the rest of the game.
Old August 1, 2002, 14:38   #11
Will 5001
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 05:18
Or, looking from a different viewpoint, we could build a road on connect the iron from site 1 (in my thread for possible new cities) and make LOADS of gold from trading iron to Persia, then we could ally with them and take many countries in our continent. Just a thought.
Old August 1, 2002, 15:42   #12
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 23:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
While I support a site 7 city, I doubt Munich will expand for a long time- the Germans are still in REX, and thye won't waste shileds on a temple yet, perhaps they will wait for lit (they are scientific) and buld a lib.

I also think we need a site 1 city ASAP, not just for the iron, but for the quick population, th ability to also get another, horse, depending on which square we settle, and a way to disrupt american expansion.

I alo agree with will 5001: Germany is the great future threat, not Persia. I think we need scientific, industrious (they dig just as well as us, unfortunitely) Persia as an ally, not an enemy.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 1, 2002, 18:44   #13
Robber Baron
Prince

Local Time: 00:18
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
(they dig just as well as us, unfortunitely)
Doh! You're right!
The race is on, then: who can build a culture base in the jungle faster. We need to be putting resources (workers) on this. We can still take advantage of the AI's tendency to scatter its efforts around the map.