Old August 1, 2002, 12:45   #1
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Next era techs
I'm interested in knowing what people think would be a good choice for the first tech to research/acquire otherwise in the next area based on our current position and future scenarios.

Personally I think Feudalism would be the best choice. Pikemen would be really useful to counter immortals, and they also have other advantages:
* When fortified they have 5 defense points (fortified units get a 25% bonus).
* They have a special defensive bonus against mounted units (knights in particular).
* They will be much needed in the next era as I'm sure we'll be attacked on several fronts sooner or later.

Please contribute your thoughts.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 1, 2002, 12:48   #2
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 01:18
Hard choice, but for immediate military results I think you are right.

However, we are religious, and having cathedrals should not be undervalued.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old August 1, 2002, 13:21   #3
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 00:18
It would really depend on the situation. If it looks like we are in danger of being attacked, I'd be more partial to get Feudalism. If we secured peace, then getting cathedrals would be better. It all depends on the situation.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old August 1, 2002, 13:47   #4
Edrix

I think that we need the quickest route to Chivalry that we can get. The sooner we get Knights the sooner we can start our Middle Ages military campaigns.

Old August 1, 2002, 13:49   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
It would really depend on the situation. If it looks like we are in danger of being attacked, I'd be more partial to get Feudalism. If we secured peace, then getting cathedrals would be better. It all depends on the situation.
Cathedrals are important to any military situation. On this level, the people become unhappy very quickly and because we arent scientific we dont get the free advance.

However, if we are in danger of being attacked then I suppose we could go for Feudalism. However, being more of a builder, I would (myself, in my games) go for Theology so I could build up my cultlure and make my people happy
Old August 1, 2002, 13:59   #6
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
Cathedrals are important to any military situation. On this level, the people become unhappy very quickly and because we arent scientific we dont get the free advance.

However, if we are in danger of being attacked then I suppose we could go for Feudalism. However, being more of a builder, I would (myself, in my games) go for Theology so I could build up my cultlure and make my people happy
Yes, but if we have immortals breathing down our necks and everyone is basically happy, pikemen would be more useful.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old August 1, 2002, 14:18   #7
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

We can make up for unhappiness with a temporary boost to entertainment. Luckily we have enough monitary resources to be able to afford a long period of war.
On the other hand, our borders seem more fragile than ever. We have minimal security in all of our fringe towns and we need to change this, fast. I say it's great to have Chivalry, but what good is the technology to produce knights if you have no iron?
Pikemen on the other hand will be much more needed in the near future. Other than boosting our defenses it will deter our rivals from demanding tributes since they'll be less prune to attack our pikemen. Plus if Ubergorsk will have a fortified pikemen AND a wall it'll have a defensive force of 7 (+25% from fort., +50% from wall) and it will be practically untouchable.
I say first secure our border cities with Pikemen, then build up culture with Cathedrals, then get knights and then go on according to the current state of affairs.

Any thoughts on this?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 1, 2002, 14:37   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Pikemen don't have bonuses against mounted units in Civ3 (unlike Civ2), as stated by a Firaxian long time ago.
Monotheism is the way to go (or at least, the tech to acquire, since the Germans, the Greeks, the Russians and the Babs will get it immediately after entering middle ages)
Cathedrals will be extremely useful to our cathedral, because we can currently get up to 6 happy faces with luxuries, in maketplaced cities (dyes from our already conquered land, wines from France, incense from Fragant valley, tradable spices from Persia). With Colosseum + Cathedral (or simply cathedral + Sistine chapel), we can get 12 pop cities without unrest.

We should avoid war at all costs until our cathedral battery is ready.
Old August 1, 2002, 14:40   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

feudalism = sun tzu = Uber
Old August 1, 2002, 15:46   #10
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 23:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I say whichever we can get sooner, depending on the cost: we will most likely buy the other anyway: Let me also state, I think we need to foster an alience with Persia long-term, to use them against the Germans and to keep immortals off our backs which will make sense long-term (until the industrial age)
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 1, 2002, 19:08   #11
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 21:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Go for Calvary
Depending on the situation, I think we should bee line for calvary or education.

my $0.02

Mss
Old August 1, 2002, 19:36   #12
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Yea, I don't know about immediatly after we enter the next era, but it'd be a good idea in general to rush for Calvary and trade for techs in other branches -- if we can get Calvary before the AI can and then get a war won before they get it, it'll give us a huge advantage, and might even up the scales a bit.

-- adaMada
Old August 1, 2002, 20:24   #13
Shiber
Emperor

I've noticed that France has entered the next era by the looks of their towns. This means they have currency and construction, so maybe we should think again about researching currency since we can get it from the French when Paris is conquered anyway.
- Phantom of the Opera