Old August 5, 2002, 08:43   #31
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 07:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
hi ,

or at least they should put more options in , so we can make more ourselves , ....

have a nice day

Last edited by Panag; August 6, 2002 at 13:38.
Old August 5, 2002, 11:03   #32
JtheJackal
Warlord

Local Time: 00:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Deathwalker
I think the games needs two more eras. One at the beginning of the game and one at the end
You can't have a new era at the beggining of the game, there is no civilization before the ancient age
Old August 5, 2002, 12:32   #33
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 23:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by hzm

Did you ever make a tech tree that could go with it?
I was lazy and renamed the Modern one Future and then redid the Modern's display screen so that all the future techs showed up right, you know with the correct icon placement and research lines.
Old August 5, 2002, 16:36   #34
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 06:19
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Quote:
Originally posted by JtheJackal
You can't have a new era at the beggining of the game, there is no civilization before the ancient age
There were different tribes though, so why couldn't the game also be about discovering the basics of civilization?
Advances like Agriculture, Mining, Roads, Weaponry (allows Warriors), The Canoe, The Council (allows cities to grow beyond size 1, the actual start of civilization) could make for an interesting Primitive Era.
In fact, techs like Pottery and Ceremonial Burial are also of those times.
Old August 5, 2002, 20:04   #35
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah

There were different tribes though, so why couldn't the game also be about discovering the basics of civilization?
Advances like Agriculture, Mining, Roads, Weaponry (allows Warriors), The Canoe, The Council (allows cities to grow beyond size 1, the actual start of civilization) could make for an interesting Primitive Era.
In fact, techs like Pottery and Ceremonial Burial are also of those times.
You could make a preHistoric Era with every civ getting its first settler unit once it has advanced to the Ancient Times era. You'd just wonder around exploring goody huts trying to get the techs and gold to trade with other tribes so you could advance to Ancient Times.
Old August 5, 2002, 23:28   #36
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
The following advances are IMHO forseeable in the nearby future:

Scramjet
Cargo Pipeline
Fusion Power
Nanotech
Artificial Intelligence
Regeneration
Arcologies
Hydrogen Engine
Virtual Reality
Unified Field Theory
Global Marketing
What good will a Unified Field Theory be in practical terms? It remains unproven, BTW.

Artifical Intelligence? Hopefully one better than for Civ 3.

Hydrogen Engine I like! But the oil companies will fight it.

Regeneration? Is that like for Ted Williams?

Nanotech is very good.

What are arcologies and scramjet?

Do you have any links for a good technological Futurist site??
Old August 5, 2002, 23:53   #37
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

Regeneration? Is that like for Ted Williams?

I didn't know you had a sense of humor!!!!

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 6, 2002, 04:57   #38
Ribannah
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
What good will a Unified Field Theory be in practical terms? It remains unproven, BTW.
Once discovered, it is no longer unproven.
The Forcefield will probably be the first application, allowing for new units and a city improvement.
Quote:
Artifical Intelligence? Hopefully one better than for Civ 3.
Upon the discovery of this advance, the AI will become twice as devious.
Quote:
Hydrogen Engine I like! But the oil companies will fight it.
They have already been fighting it for over a decade. But that won't last as we'll run out of oil.
Quote:
Regeneration?
Medical tech (eventually of limbs and organs) based on activating and programming cells' memories. Longevity shouldn't come out of the blue.
Quote:
What are arcologies and scramjet?
Never played SimCity 2000?
An Arcology is a single-building city. Japan is getting there rapidly.
The Scramjet is a plane engine that, after the start, uses oxygen from the air. Allows planes to fly some 3x as fast as present tech. It's succesfully being tested in Australia as we speak.
Quote:
Do you have any links for a good technological Futurist site??
I thought this was it.
Old August 6, 2002, 05:18   #39
Ribannah
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
You could make a preHistoric Era with every civ getting its first settler unit once it has advanced to the Ancient Times era. You'd just wonder around exploring goody huts trying to get the techs and gold to trade with other tribes so you could advance to Ancient Times.
My idea is that you start out with a Nomad unit. Each turn, you receive the shields, trade and food from the square it's on, which allows you to produce more Nomads (40 shields?) and later Warriors and Canoes (need to be at a shore), as well as doing some research and keeping a small treasury.
Upon the discovery of Agriculture, two Nomads together will be able to select a permanent site for a size 1 village. The village will not be able to grow until The Council is discovered and a Town Hall is built, but it can fill the foodbox and produce Nomads, Workers, Barracks (after Weaponry) and later Temples, Granaries, Walls.
You need to research Mining, Roads and Irrigation before a Worker can actually do something.

New Wonders in the Primitive Era are Stonehenge (The Calendar) and Angkor Wat (Ceremonial Burial).
Old August 6, 2002, 05:48   #40
Mattaba
NationStates
Chieftain

Quote:

My idea is that you start out with a Nomad unit. Each turn, you receive the shields, trade and food from the square it's on, which allows you to produce more Nomads (40 shields?) and later Warriors and Canoes (need to be at a shore), as well as doing some research and keeping a small treasury.
Upon the discovery of Agriculture, two Nomads together will be able to select a permanent site for a size 1 village. The village will not be able to grow until The Council is discovered and a Town Hall is built, but it can fill the foodbox and produce Nomads, Workers, Barracks (after Weaponry) and later Temples, Granaries, Walls.
You need to research Mining, Roads and Irrigation before a Worker can actually do something.

New Wonders in the Primitive Era are Stonehenge (The Calendar) and Angkor Wat (Ceremonial Burial).
Hey hey these are some very good ideas it would make the game significantly different at start, but there should be an option tu turn it off implented.
Old August 6, 2002, 05:55   #41
Mattaba
NationStates
Chieftain

And about the future, I think there should be more techs required to build the spaceship, techs like traveling faster than the speed of light or Warp(yes I watch Star Trek) and maybe things such as Artificial gravity and hybernation to send people in stassis cells or something.
Old August 6, 2002, 10:16   #42
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

why did they only include 4 era's , .....

and so few techs and units , just why , ....

have a nice day
Old August 6, 2002, 11:47   #43
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
why did they only include 4 era's , .....

and so few techs and units , just why , ....
And why didn't they include this, and why did they do that, and why...and why...and why..........
Old August 8, 2002, 04:24   #44
Mattaba
NationStates
Chieftain

*bump* somebody has some other ideas about eras?
Old August 8, 2002, 06:10   #45
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

There's a lot of ideas in this thread:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthre...&threadid=50341

go take a look...
Old August 8, 2002, 06:59   #46
Mattaba
NationStates
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
There's a lot of ideas in this thread:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthre...&threadid=50341

go take a look...
I get a page not found error when i click on your link.
Old August 8, 2002, 07:07   #47
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattaba
I get a page not found error when i click on your link.
Try this one instead: This one works

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=50341
Old August 21, 2002, 16:48   #48
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 21:19
How about integrating technologies to mine the Helium 3 from the moon that NASA has found there for a rocket. There could also be new genetic techs, such as genejacking in SMAC.
Old August 21, 2002, 17:00   #49
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattaba
And about the future, I think there should be more techs required to build the spaceship, techs like traveling faster than the speed of light or Warp(yes I watch Star Trek) and maybe things such as Artificial gravity and hybernation to send people in stassis cells or something.
Maybe give a Civ the option of a warp drive to pass a fusion powered ship.. the fusion ship envisioned by Project Orion had 1,000,000 nukes on 2 stages and could only go to 10% of lightspeed, with no slowing down. Give the players the option of a fusion shio at 5% of lightspeed (so it can slow down), or one with Magnetic Decelarration so it can go at 10% of lightspeed, or one with warp drive.
Old August 21, 2002, 17:02   #50
realpolitic
Prince

How about integrating technologies to mine the Helium 3 from the moon that NASA has found there for a rocket. There could also be new genetic techs, such as genejacking in SMAC.
Old August 21, 2002, 17:45   #51
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

There should be a future era and you should be able to launch your ship in modern times and go to different maps.

Sell your photos
Old August 21, 2002, 18:59   #52
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

ribannah, what is:
Arcologies
Unified Field Theory?

Quote:
The following advances are IMHO forseeable in the nearby future:

Scramjet
Cargo Pipeline
Fusion Power
Nanotech
Artificial Intelligence
Regeneration
Arcologies
Hydrogen Engine
Virtual Reality
Unified Field Theory
Global Marketing
good ideas!

i miss cultural and social techs in your list (just can't find the right names):
- true democracy
- global thinking/total equality (opposite of nationalism, "we're all humans")
- solved famine and poverty
- independece from money (something like the star trek idea)

nanotechnology should open a whole new tech-branch:
- regeneration
- cybernetic implants
- matery-energy-converters (aka. replication) (resources producable from energy)
- nano-warbots (something like futuristic B-weapons)
- etc.

some other things:
- superconduction
- cryogenics
- computer assisted traffic management

ok, that's some brainstormin, most is probably useless...
Old August 22, 2002, 07:14   #53
Ribannah
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
i miss cultural and social techs in your list
That is because there won't be any of significance until later this century, when I expect a socio-economic advance called Homeostasis.

However, advances like Arcologies, Artificial Intelligence and Global Marketing will eventually have a huge cultural and social impact, leading to new government types (Delphi) and educational systems, as well as, indeed, the abandonment of money.

Quote:
nanotechnology should open a whole new tech-branch:
- regeneration
- cybernetic implants
- matery-energy-converters (aka. replication) (resources producable from energy)
- nano-warbots (something like futuristic B-weapons)
- etc.
Nanotechnology will be pretty much a dead end for a very long time, with replicators (not based on matter-energy conversion but rather by programmed molecule building) and some monitoring functions (in engineering and medicine rather than military or espionage) as the sole practical applications. Matter-energy conversion (beam me up, Scotty!) requires a precision far beyond nanotech or anything else mechanics has to offer and is in no way around the corner. Regeneration doesn't require nanotech.

Superconductor (from Ceramics and The Laser) should indeed still be considered a future advance. In my tree it is a prereq for Fusion Power and the Unified Field Theory.

Quote:
ok, that's some brainstormin, most is probably useless...
Not at all useless, keep those ideas coming!
Old August 22, 2002, 11:08   #54
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
That is because there won't be any of significance until later this century, when I expect a socio-economic advance called Homeostasis.
i still do believe that poverty and hunger will be solved this century... somehow...

Quote:
However, advances like Arcologies, Artificial Intelligence and Global Marketing will eventually have a huge cultural and social impact, leading to new government types (Delphi) and educational systems, as well as, indeed, the abandonment of money.
i looked up 'arcology': 3 dimensional building. definetly, that would solve a lot of problems concerning space...
imagine the earth like coruscant in star wars

Quote:
Nanotechnology will be pretty much a dead end for a very long time, with replicators (not based on matter-energy conversion but rather by programmed molecule building) and some monitoring functions (in engineering and medicine rather than military or espionage) as the sole practical applications. Matter-energy conversion (beam me up, Scotty!) requires a precision far beyond nanotech or anything else mechanics has to offer and is in no way around the corner..
i'm wished i were intelligent enough to study quantum physics or alike... it was my dream
however, i visited a team at the geneva university (all about quantum cryptography and quantum computers) and they were sure, 'beaming' would never be possible... main reason was heisenberg's uncertainty principle (allthough in ST they have invented the heisenberg compensator )

iirc, they can already make simple 3D-object with something like molecule building. they're using it in medecine to 'grow' artificial ears and other parts currently for people with bad injuries and burns.

Quote:
Regeneration doesn't require nanotech
i was thinking of nano-sized robots repairing cellular damages (though radicals) or injuries... what did you mean?

Quote:
Superconductor (from Ceramics and The Laser) should indeed still be considered a future advance. In my tree it is a prereq for Fusion Power and the Unified Field Theory.
exactly... we do have experimental suerconductors, but they're nowhere near to mass usage yet.
that one thing that distubs me about civilization games in general: we don't yet have the techs to build a spaceship... we're just about able to have the ISS, paying billions of dollars for a few merged units with space for a few scientists. it will take decades or even centuries before we can transport a big enough population (no risk of incest, etc.) and all the needed fauna and flora... and would DO need cryogenics first...

Quote:
Not at all useless, keep those ideas coming!
there was a great strategy game called 'ascendancy' with an interesting and long tech tree. some things could really be useful.

some of them:
- terraforming
- orbital defence

some others:
- orbital elevator
- waste disposal
- universal translators

a general problem of some of our techs: they're not really an advance for ONE civ, but mainly global advances... (like 'printing press' or 'theory of evolution') ...
Old August 22, 2002, 15:26   #55
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

intresting , but most of these ideas are for a new era , could we just not add a couple in between also , ....

terraforming should be included , and available early

have a nice day
Old August 23, 2002, 00:09   #56
Odin
DiplomacyNever Ending StoriesApolyton UniversityRise of Nations MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

The cool thing about CtP WAS the futuristic techs! In CtP I loved being an Ecotpia and turning my enemy's cities into grassy fields with the Eco Ranger and geting rid of nukes with the Nanite Difuser.

The attempt to produce Heaven on Earth often produces Hell. -Karl Popper
Old August 26, 2002, 11:14   #57
candybo
Warlord

I'm not into that whole space-fi thing, so I'll stay out of it. However, harking back to prev. posts, I would like to see more pre-industrial options across the board...
Old August 26, 2002, 14:32   #58
jsw363
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by candybo
I'm not into that whole space-fi thing, so I'll stay out of it. However, harking back to prev. posts, I would like to see more pre-industrial options across the board...
I agree. I wish that they would focus more on the pre-industrial ages and create better, fuller tech trees.

BTW, Ribannah, have you posted any mods with your versions of the other ages tech trees? I would definitely download it if it existed.
Old August 26, 2002, 23:03   #59
Copper
Settler

Local Time: 05:19
Maybe someone already mentioned it but how about super-farming tech? That would allow to build very productive farms somewhere underground...
That'd be a very helpfull invention. It will allow to keep a larger population plus you can use all those lands that are currently being used as farm fields for something else.
Old August 26, 2002, 23:21   #60
Copper
Settler

Local Time: 05:19
btw wouldn't electrical engine be better than hydrogen one? From what i understand the problem with electrical engines is a power source, so u only need to invent a super-powerful-and-long-lasting-battery Quite possible, I suppose...

There should also be a tech that would allow to break something into protons/neutrons/electrons and then convert it into whatewer u need This way u can just create any resources u want... u should a need a very expensive city improvement for that.
Or is it the same thing as molecular building? Sorry, i'm not a hell of a scientist