Old August 1, 2002, 18:04   #1
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 00:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Uh-Oh Q1 03
Master of Orion 3

I have this one pre-ordered and just received notice that the new date for the game is Q1/03. Will be checking into this further, but it's not looking good.

We are writing to let you know that we have changed the projected ship date for Master Of Orion 3 to 1/1/03. The publisher did not provide us with a specific date so this is our best estimate only and should not be considered firm. We will update this date again as we receive new information.

From past experience, when news like this hits, it's been pretty accurate. The slip has been anyway, not the actual ship date. That's why I would post it as Q1/03.

Got this from gone gold!

R:PM
Old August 1, 2002, 18:10   #2
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 07:19
where did you pre-order from? amazon?
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2002, 18:14   #3
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

saw it. eb games....
Old August 1, 2002, 19:13   #4
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 06:19
Great. Better than another x-mas bugfest rush anyway.
Old August 1, 2002, 19:15   #5
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

just got a denial of such a date from Cory Nelson....
Old August 1, 2002, 19:51   #6
tniem
King

Got to hope this is the case. If we learned one thing from Civ III it is to enjoy a delay in release. Instead of looking at this like it is bad news, lets look at it is as a positive step for Infogrames to care about a complete game.
Old August 1, 2002, 20:22   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:19
Yeah, I saw Rich had put this on GG.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2002, 21:05   #8
Augustus Ceaser
Settler

I have to agree with tniem, although I hate to have to wait longer for the game, I would rather them get it right than to rush it. However, on the flip side, the longer they delay, the more my expextations go up. . .
Augustus Ceaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2002, 21:44   #9
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I'd prefer a late good launch as well. But the longer it takes, the bigger the risk of infogrames canning it...
Old August 1, 2002, 22:46   #10
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by moomin
I'd prefer a late good launch as well. But the longer it takes, the bigger the risk of infogrames canning it...
True but I would expect at this point that they have to have something that would be playable and releasable. Even if it could benefit from a ton of work, it probably is able to be sold which means when Infogrames means that they are sick of waiting they can simply release it. The hope being that the longer they can wait, the better the game can be.
Old August 1, 2002, 23:01   #11
vmxa1
Deity

Lets hope so, but I am reminded of Homms Chronicles. They released the lst two in UK, but never here? I guess they just felt it would cost them money and further hurt the prestige.
Old August 2, 2002, 04:52   #12
tishco
Prince

Local Time: 05:19
Homm is availiable on abandonware, cool game.
I will be buying medieval total warin autumn, i doubt moo3 will be here, but i dont mind, it will (hopefully) be better
formerlyanon@hotmail.com
tishco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2002, 11:09   #13
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
where did you pre-order from? amazon?
Sorry Mark, just cut and pasted from gone gold...I know it seemed like it was my post...It is not my style to pre-order, never done it and never will.
Old August 4, 2002, 07:31   #14
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I have a bunch of other games I need to play anyhow.

Can wait.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2002, 07:46   #15
moomin
King

Yeah, I never understood pre-ordering either. It's like I really don't wanna know if it sucks before I spend my hard-earned bucks, isn't it?
Old August 4, 2002, 12:33   #16
vmxa1
Deity

I use preorder rarely, only when they offer a special deal like AoW2 for 29 bucks.
Old August 4, 2002, 13:37   #17
moomin
King

Is it worth it? You save a couple of bucks but take a risk of buying yourself a complete lemon... At least if you wait a few days after the release, you'll get a decent feeling for if it's worth your while by listing in here and elsewhere what other gamers think.
Old August 4, 2002, 14:28   #18
vmxa1
Deity

So far AoW2 is a lemon for me, but any game I really enjoyed like AoW1, I will jump on the sequel and take my lumps. Just like Moo3, I am buying it even if everyone on earth says it stinks unless they ask $59.99 for it like Warcraft3. In that case I will rebel and wait for it to go on sale. I just refuse to pay that much.
Old August 6, 2002, 10:01   #19
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 13:19
This doesn't bode well
Urban Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2002, 12:01   #20
moomin
King

Or else it does. Not wanting to release an unfinshed game is great, in itself. It's just when you start thinking about what kind of pressure they're now operating under over at QS that you start to worry.
Old August 7, 2002, 00:55   #21
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 13:19
A game that keeps slipping usually have some kind of major issues that's unresolved, which is bad considering that they were about to punish the game.

This is twice as bad given that IG has a tendency to rush games out, which means that if a game can be pushed out of the door, IG will try to do so.

Combined, this hints at a very big problem with the game itself.
Urban Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2002, 02:12   #22
Shnozwangler
Settler

If you look at the trends on gaming sites like GameSpot, you see that a Publisher has a FIRM release date set AT LEAST 2 months in advance of it hitting the shelves. Given all the speculation here, and my pesonal observation on posted release dates; I am conccened that not all is well for the MOO3 project.

Of course nothing would make me more happy than to see a well polished game for September so I will cross my fingers and hope for the best

Shnozwangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2002, 06:24   #23
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

well the developer has a firm release date on the official site since june
so....
Old August 7, 2002, 08:47   #24
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
So far AoW2 is a lemon for me, but any game I really enjoyed like AoW1, I will jump on the sequel and take my lumps. Just like Moo3, I am buying it even if everyone on earth says it stinks unless they ask $59.99 for it like Warcraft3. In that case I will rebel and wait for it to go on sale. I just refuse to pay that much.
Vmxa1,

Yeah I could not believe the price on Warcraft3 and Neverwind Nights. Do they really think that their game is that good? And if it is, wouldn't they make more on a cheaper price and more units sold?

Also, I'm really bummed by the recent development in the Moo3 story. This was the one game that I was looking forward to playing this year.

R:PM
Old August 7, 2002, 09:35   #25
moomin
King

I can't understand how new releases can be so expensive in the USA. Over here, WC3 was $39 on release (not that I bought it, it ain't my cuppa) and Neverwinter Nights was $45 - and it's worth every cent.

I don't think that $100 is too much for a solid game, btw. I'd happily pay that for games I play for years, such as Moo2, SMAC and MoM. At those prices, however, pre-ordering would be even more out of the question
Old August 7, 2002, 11:33   #26
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Yeah,

Those are the standard prices. But in a few weeks there will be sales and we can actually get them for those prices. It'll be a long time before I buy WC3, just do not like the RTS clickfests. I bought Starcraft when I got down to $15, but only kept my interest for a few days. I cannot imagine that WC3 is that much better.
Old August 7, 2002, 11:36   #27
Daveybaby
Settler

I wouldnt read anything (either positive or negative) into the fact that a game keeps getting delayed.

For every Daikatana there's a Half-Life.

Actually thats not true : for every 50 Daikatanas theres a Half-Life. (wish it was true though).

The point is though, there are just as many bad games released on-time as there are which are delayed repeatedly, and the same thing goes for good games.

Erm.... I *think* i may have got my point across.... maybe....
Old August 7, 2002, 12:00   #28
vmxa1
Deity

It is not a question of weither WC3 or any game is worth the price. It is that I will not pay extra just because it is Blizzard. It is not like there are not a lot of good games out now. They are not concerned about how many they will sell as they have seen the sales will still be very high at what ever price they ask. I just feel they are trying to stick it to me and I am not going for it.

Last edited by vmxa1; August 7, 2002 at 15:51.
Old August 7, 2002, 13:01   #29
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

I agree....I might pick-up WC3 when it gets below $20, but I know that I'll be disappointed.
Old August 8, 2002, 10:55   #30
DATarbell

Several thoughts. Regarding the high initial prices of recent games (e.g., Warcraft III): they will sell more at a lower price--just as soon as they finish selling as many as they can at the higher price. Regarding the current state of the MoO3 project and the repeated delays: I have long speculated that the game was just plain "no fun" with many of the concepts that had been part of the design for a very long time, and I would further speculate that they are now trying to figure out how to reintroduce the "fun" element. And let's face it: "fun" is not a given in any game, and it may not even be possible to "introduce fun" at this late stage!

Just my two cents worth.