Old August 2, 2002, 02:11   #1
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 06:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What's up with Apolyton's server!?
In the last couple days it often takes ages to load a page and more often than not after waiting minutes I get this msg:

"The server is too busy at the moment or the maximum number of guests have been exceeded. Please try again in a few minutes. "

What's wrong? I understand what the msg says but shouldn't something be done against it?

So long...
Old August 2, 2002, 03:15   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:20
Quote:
Warning: Too many connections in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40
My guess is the database is slowing down the whole thing during peak times. It was slow for me around this time yesterday too.
Old August 2, 2002, 03:28   #3
The Pioneer
Prince

But when is peak time?

I mean I logged on at before 8 in morning! (German time) and still if there are so many users a solution must be found!

So long...
Old August 2, 2002, 03:39   #4
aaglo
King

Local Time: 08:20
The Apolyton peak time is 24 hours per day. Minus the time it's off-line... (which isn't that often)
Old August 2, 2002, 04:01   #5
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 07:20
Not much problems here.
Now and then I get the 'too busy' warning. But then I try again 5 minutes later, and things are working fine again.
Old August 2, 2002, 04:02   #6
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

Hey, Pioneer, you live in Wupertal Germany?
I knew a girl from Wupertal 7 years ago! Any change you know her?
Old August 2, 2002, 04:14   #7
The Pioneer
Prince

This is the message I got a few minutes ago!

"Warning: in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database. Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience."

I am wondering is it just me? If I press the refresh buttons a couple times I get in too but....

CyberShy, changes are that the girl knows me since I am ...ehemm... soooo popular!

Old August 2, 2002, 04:16   #8
The Pioneer
Prince

This is the message I got a few minutes ago!

"Warning: in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database. Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience."

I am wondering is it just me? If I press the refresh buttons a couple times I get in too but....

CyberShy, changes are that the girl knows me since I am ...ehemm... soooo popular!

PS: I am trying to post this and I keep getting this message:

We apologise for any inconvenience"

"
Old August 2, 2002, 04:26   #9
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

ok, you're right. I couldn't get on the site as well.
But hey, now it's 15 minutes later, and things work fine

Just don't be such an addict! You can live without poly for 15 minutes, can't you?

Her name is Nicole. She's a blonde, must 25 by now.
Oh, and she has a sister named stefany, age 23 something. Does that ring a bell, mr. popular?
How many people live in Wuppertal?
Old August 2, 2002, 04:38   #10
Rasbelin
Emperor

There's actually peek times, aaglo. In GMT time the statistics show that the amount of visitors has been smallest at around 2-5 AM GMT. And most when evening is USA. Those are just my observations.
Old August 2, 2002, 04:52   #11
aaglo
King

Rasbelin; I think that the peak is in your takapuoli

Okay, in another thread Sacagious Dolomite posted a 'graphical presentation' of posting frequency in this site...
Old August 2, 2002, 04:58   #12
The Pioneer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy
ok, you're right. I couldn't get on the site as well.
But hey, now it's 15 minutes later, and things work fine

Just don't be such an addict! You can live without poly for 15 minutes, can't you?

Her name is Nicole. She's a blonde, must 25 by now.
Oh, and she has a sister named stefany, age 23 something. Does that ring a bell, mr. popular?
How many people live in Wuppertal?
Sure I can live without Poly for a 15 min or even longer I am just worried that these might be signs of an " imminent danger" to Poly's computer/server.

There is still no official (i.e. mod) answer to this?! I guess it might not anything to worry about then!

CyberShy, Wuppertal is about 400k big and I don't thing I know the girls or the other way around!
Old August 2, 2002, 06:11   #13
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

400k, ok, that's more than I expected
I guess you won't know them in that case
Old August 2, 2002, 12:19   #14
Ari Rahikkala
King

Time to start using Oracle .
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old August 2, 2002, 12:33   #15
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

Time to start using Lotus Domino
Old August 2, 2002, 13:06   #16
Rasbelin
Emperor

aaglo,

that reminds me about this:

Old August 2, 2002, 13:46   #17
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

What is he saying? I'm curious. Something about Mingapulco is all I can understand.

-Homer Simpson
Old August 2, 2002, 14:21   #18
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer

We apologise for any inconvenience.
I get this one all the time for the past few days, really annoying... (no I can't live without poly for 15 minutes )

What is amusing, though, is that the 'Technical Staff' is a link in the message, so you would suspect that it gives you an e-mail address. Instead it is just a "mailto:", so my e-mail client will open, with no address filled in... I guess Markos received a few too many messages from us

DeepO
Old August 2, 2002, 19:53   #19
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

that field is empty not to avoid mails from people, but to avoid the automatic mails.
a few minutes of the sql server being offline multiplied with a 100-200 people hiting reload can easily mean hundreds of mails....
Old August 2, 2002, 20:27   #20
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Aha... it's workaround time! (Just deleting the link, or changing the message wouldn't be possible, presumably?) But, can't you set this address to whoever is responsible for the SQL server? (S)he might be tempted to do something about the problem... it really is happening a lot lately

DeepO
Old August 2, 2002, 20:41   #21
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

i'm responsible for the sql server
we have a dedicated server, therefore no tech support(except from network/connectivity stuff and when a hard-reboot is needed)
Old August 2, 2002, 20:59   #22
DeepO
Emperor

and without tech support, you can't find the problem? Or is it just that Apolyton is growing too big too fast in order to keep up?

DeepO
Old August 2, 2002, 21:14   #23
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

it's just that sometimes some sql calls get "stuck" and feel up the memory and the only way to get back to normal is by hand(killing the specific process or restarting the sql server)
Old August 2, 2002, 21:21   #24
DeepO
Emperor

In that case you have done a lot of process killing lately, I must have been locked out over 10 times in the past 2 days.

If it is unix or linux you're running, it should be able to set a trigger on a process, which will signal a kill once a certain amount of memory is taken. I don't know how to do it, but heard another (my)sql server geek explain it to me once... but as I'm a relatively n00bie on linux, I wasn't really paying attention. You know these server geeks can get carried away once they're talking about their 'baby'

DeepO
Old August 2, 2002, 23:35   #25
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pavlov
What is he saying? I'm curious. Something about Mingapulco is all I can understand.
Samma på svenska...

Herrarna har nu överskridit mitt tålamod! Packa era prylar; Mingapulco väntar er.

And in English...

You gentlemen have now wrecked too much my nerves! Pack your belongings; Mingapulco awaits you.

Abit like that, but as I'm more than , I can't come up with any better translations either.
Old August 3, 2002, 03:00   #26
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 13:20
Cheaper to buy another server than to use Oracle
Old August 3, 2002, 09:56   #27
Ari Rahikkala
King

Apolyton runs Red Hat Linux, which is really not the best server OS that I know of (FreeBSD! FreeBSD!)...

UR: Good point .
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old August 3, 2002, 14:22   #28
Rasbelin
Emperor

Arrgghhh... red caps! Why not Debian or something less commercial? BTW I assume they don't use the NSA Linux kernel. Yes, it's public.
Old August 3, 2002, 15:02   #29
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 23:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Maybe he should try SQL Server.
Old August 3, 2002, 16:01   #30
Ari Rahikkala
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Arrgghhh... red caps! Why not Debian or something less commercial? BTW I assume they don't use the NSA Linux kernel. Yes, it's public.
Why is being commercial bad? Listen, it's open source, it's freely downloadable, and it still gives people jobs - not only for the development of Redhat's own programs, but of programs that are used all over the open-source community. Plus, although (as I already said) they're not the optimal distro for experienced sysadmins, they've (along the other commercial distros) done a great job of introducing Linux to scores of new users. The existence of commercial distros benefits everyone - the users get a simple, cheap OS, the makers of commercial distros get money (and since they didn't need to develop much to begin with, they win) and the Linux community of experienced users gets patches. Everybody wins.

This post brought to you by LightEning's mind, missing the points of posts completely ever since I got on Apolyton and advocating open-source ever since I got Debian.