Old August 2, 2002, 10:02   #1
Beeblbrox
Settler

Local Time: 05:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Enhancements/Tools for Civ3 PTW?
I don't know if there is already a thread for this, couldn't find one so I thought I'd make one.

Basically list all the interface enhancements and other things you would like addressed in the expansion. I'll kick off with a couple myself.

1) Solve Harbour/Airport Pause Speed up the algorithm for determining links when you build an Airport or Harbour. If you play 256x256 maps as I do, you will have noticed a huge pause in the construction round prior to any city building an Airport or Harbour.

2) Global Warming Locator Some way of being able to see where your global warming happens - maybe just an 'OK' box when it happens (It flashes past too quickly). Or an events log for each turn to be viewable (this would also solve my next gripe) such as from CivNet (Civ1 MP)

3) Continuing Disorder Dialogue Although we now have the option of a dialogue for when a city goes into disorder, if the city continues to be in disorder next turn (say you fixed it last turn but dropped your luxury rate afterwards) it still scoots straight past it. I know we can see all cities in disorder in red on the MoD screen, but I often have a case where I see one city flash past in disorder, and have a number of other cities that go into disorder which I solve with the 'Give them entertainment' option. I then have to pick out which city is the one that will still be in disorder next turn because i didn't get a dialogue for it. So, another option for dialogue when any city is in disorder, or the previously mentioned Event log.

4) Pollution Locator. Really. Please.

5) Power Station Management This is specific to Power Stations as there is no similar city development - i.e. multiple developments that effectively do the same thing, but get gradually better and create obsolescence in earlier types. So, maybe something like: Availability of Hydro or Solar makes Coal unavailable, and constructing either makes the other one (if present) unavailable and sells Coal if present. Availability of Nuclear makes all others unavailable, and constructing one sells any previous plant. Failing having this, can we just have a list of how many of each type of development we have ala Civ2 so I can make sure I have sold all my dirty Coal Plants when cleaner options become available.

6) Unit Obsolescence I mean, honestly who wants to build swordsmen when you have Modern Armour? Apparently the AI likes to keep their massive armies of Longbowmen in the 20th century though, which seriously messes up their capability at being effective opposition.

7) Improved AI Unit Upgrading It amazes me at how poor the AI is at doing this.

8) Trade Overview Screen I Saw someone else ask for this in CFF, and its a damn good idea. I didn't even notice I could review and renegotiate my trade agreements while in discussions with another power, so a screen - i.e. the Trade Advisor (who is largely useless atm) where you can see all your agreements, who with and any remaining turns would be most useful - more so than a forced renegotiation every 20 turns.

9) WakeAll/FortifyAll Enhancement Much kudos to the team for putting these commands in, it has made the game suddenly a pleasure than a pain. Who's stupid idea was it to put these commands at the bottom of the list though? Havent they ever had a stack of a hundred tanks? Top it please.

That'll do from me I think
Old August 2, 2002, 10:23   #2
Beeblbrox
Settler

All Bombard Option Just occured to me as I am getting rather enjoyable RSI from bombarding a stack of 60 or so infantry with 120 odd Radar Artillery. Bombards until there is no unit with more than a single HP (non-lethal option)/all units are dead (lethal option) or all bombard shots used
Old August 2, 2002, 11:17   #3
Deathwalker
Prince

Quote:
7) Improved AI Unit Upgrading It amazes me at how poor the AI is at doing this.
I thought the 1.29 patch was supposed to help with this
Old August 2, 2002, 13:39   #4
Beeblbrox
Settler

Didn't see that in the readme - and I'm still plowing through my prepatch game so I hadn't noticed yet. If so - cool!

Another thing that's just happened to me that needs adjusting:

Nuclear Meltdown Pop-Up
Just had one () There were two options 1) O.K. Lets Deal With and 2) Zoom to City. I clicked on Zoom to city and it just shifted on to the next city in the production round without zooming
Old August 2, 2002, 13:47   #5
Beeblbrox
Settler

Non-displayed Messages I'm still getting cases where during the production round the map will focus on a city, and do the little drum rif that is associated with a message such as WLT_D but the message not displaying. Is it just me or does anyone else still get this? If so, could be looked at.
Old August 2, 2002, 19:08   #6
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Good thread

I agree with everything that has been said so far. I hate it when there is pollution, construction complete, or civil disorder in a city; and the game just cruises by without letting me fix it. Then I have to go back and fix it after going through all my cities, and I usually forget.
Old August 5, 2002, 22:26   #7
W.I.N.T.E.R
Chieftain

How about editor possibility for:
Making a World Wonder Civ-Specific ??

Just like selecting Civs that can build particular Units (UUs) it would be interesting to provide a similar way of selecting UWs (Unique Wonders)- so that in historical scenarios it won't be the Vikings that end up building the Pyramids...
"The way I understand it the Russians are a combination of evil and incompetence- sort off like the Post Office with tanks..." M. Phillips THIRD REICH TEAM
Old August 6, 2002, 08:21   #8
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 07:21
Re: How about editor possibility for:
Quote:
Originally posted by W.I.N.T.E.R

Just like selecting Civs that can build particular Units (UUs) it would be interesting to provide a similar way of selecting UWs (Unique Wonders)- so that in historical scenarios it won't be the Vikings that end up building the Pyramids...
Then there's no wonder race anymore!?! Kinda spoils the game...But if this was made for some minor wonders, then I like it: e.g. to be able to build a Forbidden Palace (Or whatever it's called), you need to play an asian Civ.

EDIT: Didn't read you were talking about historical scenarios...now it makes more sense...

Making a building civ specific

Would be interesting if you need to be a certain Civ, to be able to build certain buildings. Kinda like UU's: Some Civs might be able to build a cheaper harbor, or even be able to get the harbor building before other Civs (in erlier tech)
Old August 9, 2002, 08:24   #9
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 17:21
Civ-specific buildings can already be done!
You can already create civ-specific buildings in the editor.

Create a new technology, put it in the "None" era, make it a requirement of the particular building, and give this as a starting tech to the civilizations you want to have the building.

Using this technique, you could also create civ-specific resources (resources that only specific civs can see) which in turn could be used as requirements to build buildings, units etc in later technologies. Or anything else that you can attach to a technology can be used to be civ-specific.

Techs in the "none" era can never be traded with other civilizations, or discovered in goodie huts or anything else. So only the civs originally given them can have them.

Now, if only they would allow techs in the "none" era to be a requirement to techs in other eras we could create unique techs trees for each civilizations. That's what I would like to see in the new version.

Also to allow more (or less) than four eras.

Also to be able to set a starting date and create rules for date incrementation.
Old August 10, 2002, 06:30   #10
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

there should be an option to keep pollution , but turn "global warming" off , ...

Firaxis , .....

have a nice day
Old August 11, 2002, 02:52   #11
epikur
Settler

i would like some logs on events, a history events or some listings for current turn, like

and the stars below works as links to city

------------------------------
List year 1805: German
------------------------------

* berlin - civil unrest
* bonn - infantry build, bank in production
* koln - polution

-------------------------------
Old August 11, 2002, 15:59   #12
Panag
Emperor

Re: How about editor possibility for:
Quote:
Originally posted by W.I.N.T.E.R

hi ,

intresting , ....

since we can get a total of 256 wonders , ....the Vikings shall have there own " civ - specific wonder ", ....

Firaxis , ...

have a nice day
Old August 11, 2002, 16:37   #13
des-esseintes
Chieftain

Make the Replay more interesting!

No offense Firaxis, but the "replay" at the end of the game sucks! I remember in Civ 1 where it would at least say stuff like "Babylon builds first Cannon" or "Rome discovers Writing" or something. In Civ3 the replay is reduced to a mere representation of Territory. This just sucks.

What would really please me though, would be to see a "real" replay function. As in, watch the entire game, from the standard playing view, in the perspective of any of the civs involved. You can access every city, look at everyone's tech status, look at their military... etc, etc, turn by turn as the game unfolds. Probably sounds tedious to you ppl, but for freaks like me its just totally neat
Old August 11, 2002, 16:39   #14
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by des-esseintes

No offense Firaxis, but the "replay" at the end of the game sucks! I remember in Civ 1 where it would at least say stuff like "Babylon builds first Cannon" or "Rome discovers Writing" or something. In Civ3 the replay is reduced to a mere representation of Territory. This just sucks.

What would really please me though, would be to see a "real" replay function. As in, watch the entire game, from the standard playing view, in the perspective of any of the civs involved. You can access every city, look at everyone's tech status, look at their military... etc, etc, turn by turn as the game unfolds. Probably sounds tedious to you ppl, but for freaks like me its just totally neat
hi ,

, intresting , there should be the "regular" one they have now , and a more enhanced one , at the end the player should choose the one he wants to view , ...

have a nice day
Old August 11, 2002, 16:43   #15
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:

I like it

Did they really have that much in the Civ1 replay? Never saw that (And I have played a lot of games, and loved the replay)...but I guess the reason why I didn't know that, is because back then the only english words I knew was: Hello and goodbye
Old August 11, 2002, 20:24   #16
PMLF
Warlord

Quote:

I also would like to be able to save the replay.

Last edited by PMLF; August 11, 2002 at 20:50.