Old August 2, 2002, 15:40   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 22:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What changes in v1.06
As we sit and wait for the release of patch v1.06 I'd like to see what sort of changes other players wish to see in that patch. What is it that you hope will get changed? What do you want to stay the same? What do you hope to see added?

Personally, I'd like to see more historical events scripted in because right now the major powers get 90% of the historical events scripts while the vast majority of countries get no events at all. Also I notice that countries such as France, Prussia, Russia, and Spain almost never get to be the same size in the game that they did in real life. I hope they fix the AI and make these countries more aggressive about annexing the proviences that the country had/has in the real world.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2002, 18:03   #2
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The might change the AI, but for Events you'd have to get the fan-made EEP.
Old August 2, 2002, 20:09   #3
Oerdin
Deity

Well hopefully we can at least hope that they will finish the editor. I've been sitting down and messing with the editor and I have found several things that feel rough and unfinished.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 9, 2002, 07:51   #4
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Local Time: 05:22
The number one thing I can think of right now, just got the game recently and haven´t played it that much. Is that when you have won a naval battle and stolen the rutters of your downtrodden foes, that you actually get all their exploration. At least there is no change in my Terra incognita, and I know they are sending settlers to America, ohh that makes me furious.

Another issue is that after having made peace with your foes, and theire armies in your territory are leaving. Well if they attacked a province that the unit can´t walk out from, either through direct contact or military access agreement. They tend to stay there for quite alot of time. Thats a bit annoying.

Also, not the most importan issue, but something to consider. Is that after some time your monarchs seem to start with a minus in their Monarch victory point listing. As I said before not the most important of issues, but maybe its just my vanity, but I like to be able to see what contributions each of my kinfs made.

Since I´m a newbie at this, I´d appreciate it if it would be explained if by some strange reason these are al misunderstanding on my part. Also since I´m new at this, I expect I´l be posting more faults as soon as I find them
Papa Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2002, 20:54   #5
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 06:22
Well nothing is really getting changed. Russia gets its shield on Ingermanland, a couple of DP bug fixes and some more MP stability stuff. I think that's your lot.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
C0ckney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2002, 04:57   #6
Oerdin
Deity

I would totally hope there will be stability fixes for MP because the current system crashes constiniently and lacks many basic features such as being able to see what and how many games are running in the background(so you can avoid servers which are over loaded), being able to rejoin a game in progress after you crash out, being able to chat privitely in the lobby, as well as the various stablity issues.
Old August 12, 2002, 10:35   #7
Papa Chubby
Warlord

I do hope that they will try to patch some of the things in the game. It does seem a little odd to ship out an incomplete game and just allow it to stay that way. Not very wise when considering future products. At least I know that I´m fed up with the endless numbers of faults in the games. That are there simply because the money-men set a date, that for some inexplicable reason must be honored even at the cost of the game itself.
Old August 12, 2002, 11:24   #8
Havard
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Papa Chubby
I do hope that they will try to patch some of the things in the game. It does seem a little odd to ship out an incomplete game and just allow it to stay that way. Not very wise when considering future products. At least I know that I´m fed up with the endless numbers of faults in the games. That are there simply because the money-men set a date, that for some inexplicable reason must be honored even at the cost of the game itself.
Incomplete? IMO it has been pretty complete since 1.02. What are these "endless numbers of faults" you are talking about
Havard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2002, 18:50   #9
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 15:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Papa Chubby
I take it you haven't played Civ3? Even with the latest patch, I still consider it a beta.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2002, 08:13   #10
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Dale in fact I do play Civ3, its a great game and the fact that they continually want to patch it speaks well for their commitment, but of course it should have be unneccessary. Also the fact that other games are faulty should not simply make having some faults in the game normal.

Read my first post in the thread if you want to see an example of which faults I´m talking about. As for everything being complete after version 1,2, well I play with 1,5. So there is some work to do still.
Old August 13, 2002, 11:01   #11
Oerdin
Deity

I wouldn't say it has endless faults and I would also say EU2 is superior to Civ3. Civ3 was decidedly average and MarkG closes every thread where people disagree with him. That said I do hope the editor, AI, and MP stability will recieve a little bit of attention when v1.06 gets released.
Old August 13, 2002, 11:07   #12
Oerdin
Deity

P.C.- When you steal people's ruters you only get a portion of their exploration not the whole map. That means you may or may not get the portion of their map that covers the Americas. Also after you sing a peace treaty your armies may not enter enemy territory any more but those that are already in have free access to your territory so that they can return home. This applies fir both your armies as well as the AIs. The only problem is the AI never seems to take advantage of this and just leaves its armies in place where they die from attrition.
Old August 13, 2002, 19:29   #13
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 15:22
PC:

Oh no doubt that EU2 could use some work, and so could Civ3, CTP2, and just about every other game that comes out now.

As for what you mentioned as faults, yes you only get part of the enemies maps. What's the point of giving your Med navies maps of China?

About the AI not moving armies off. Yes, that is a problem. Hopefully something can be done about that one.

Point 3 about the Kings, personal preference. I don't take any notice of my kings, or what they "achieve". The only thing I'm interested in is their rating.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2002, 19:56   #14
Sandman
King

I'd like to see changes made to some of the campaigns.

Adens 60K troops in 1419 can only be considered a bug.

The 1492 campaign is pretty good, but could use some cleaning up. For example, Genoa starts out with more ships than it can support.

A 1526 scenario would be welcome.

The age of mercantilism is horrible for oversized fleets, as well as enormous starting sums of money and refineries in odd places.

I'm not interested in more events for two reasons. Firstly, events are a crutch for the game engine and should be avoided where possible, IMO. Secondly, more events means more bugs, confounding the idea of a patch.

More fundamental changes which are maybe too great for a patch, but too small for a sequel.

Meaningful peace treaty percentages and no silly AI offers.

The ability to demand ships be either handed over or scuttled in a peace treaty.

The colonial system represents both Asia and Africa poorly. There should be different systems of colonisation for these continents.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2002, 01:09   #15
Oerdin
Deity

I like events and I think they fit in well with a historical emulation like EU2. I just think they are currently rather spoty and there should be a few for the smaller powers as well as the great powers.
Old August 14, 2002, 11:54   #16
Papa Chubby
Warlord

I must state that I like playing EU2 alot, it has even succeded in pulling me away from Civ3, that says alot. Even though it pained me to critiscise it, and it did, the title of the thread demanded it. I simply listed faults, or at least what I percieved as faults. That the capturing of the rutters only reveals partially the map of exploration is good to know, maybe I was just unlucky never to get knowledge of different lands through it.

Though I stand by what I said about the log-book, or whatever it is called. Even though it is not important, and in no way detracts from the gameplay, it is still a feature of the game that does not work optimal and I hope that they will fix it.
Old August 15, 2002, 10:36   #17
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Also something that I noticed was that the AI often sends in huge numbers of soldiers that fortify the same province, even if they are from a multiple of different nations. This means that if you are going to war agianst a numerically superior AI, all you really have to do is allow them to siege and then wait for attrition to whittle them down. Then move in for the kill, this is a tactic I have used a couple of times when I looked doomed. It would be better if it would use the besiege option more and spread out and/or hunt your forces.
Old August 20, 2002, 07:41   #18
Papa Chubby
Warlord

I also noticed that the manual states that cavalry weighs 2 units, which is quite realistic, but in the game they weigh the same as the infantry, 1. Pretty absurd to be able to ship an equal amount of infantry and infantry + a horse on a fleet.

Another issue is when you somehow lose one of your leaders through an event. Like when you play the French and you go with execute Gilbert, it clearly states that it will make him unavailable as General for the rest of the game. Yet by some trickery of fate he remains, the general of an army somehow fakes his own death. Also I was playing the Ottomans, and lost Murad, the 2 I think, in battle. This was while he was king, and even though he died in battle, well it did not stop him from ruling the empire.