Old August 2, 2002, 21:45   #1
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 05:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Pre Poll Discussion: How many warriors
I think we need a poll over how many warriors we are actually going to build for plan gold as there seems to be confusion over the exact numbers. Unless of course there is a general agreement over a certain number.

We currently have 3 or 4 in Termina and a few others scattered around which aren't verterans. Also perhaps some discussion about whether to bother upgrading non-vets.
Old August 2, 2002, 21:55   #2
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:22
We should build as many warriors as possible, until Ubergorsk's iron is ready. What we lack less currently is money (actually, we have plenty), so I say we upgrade all warriors we can, even regular ones (at low priority) : swordsmen will do good in our finishing off of America, and will remain a correct defensive unit until riflemen : offensive units of the medieval era have only 3 def, so swordmen would be a correct counterattack unit in cities.
Old August 2, 2002, 21:59   #3
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
We should build as many warriors as possible, until Ubergorsk's iron is ready.
Are you sure?

That could be quite alot!!!!

I'll do the maths tomorrow as it's late but off the top of my head we could have as many as 25.
Old August 2, 2002, 22:04   #4
Edrix

If we can get about 12 - 15 warriors, that should be sufficient to prune France to our liking. Keep in mind that we don't need spearmen for Plan Gold, as swordsmen have the same defense value. The swordsmen (however many they may be) could serve a variety of purposes, such as assisting in the second American war, or defending some new settlements.

Old August 2, 2002, 22:08   #5
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

OPD :
Sorry, I meant as many as we can produce in Apolyton I know it's a big difference It was obvious to me for some reason, please don't ask
Old August 2, 2002, 22:12   #6
OPD
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
OPD :
Sorry, I meant as many as we can produce in Apolyton I know it's a big difference It was obvious to me for some reason, please don't ask
lol thats what I meant.

Yes I think we can hit at least 20 from poly. Although I doubt that will get voted through.

Anyway bed time.
Old August 2, 2002, 23:54   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 00:22
i'd be happy with 8 VETERAN warriors. Poly could build a galley too, speeding up that part of the plan.

if we had 10-20 Swordsmen, you're just begging me to kill more people

i suppose with more swordsmen, we could attack france AND america at the same time, but I can wait if you can
Old August 3, 2002, 00:34   #8
Robber Baron
Prince

I would say more than 10, definitely. Enough to unleash an unstoppable attack on France, plus a few more to station on our eastern front, along the Persian border.
So, say, 12.
Beyond that, I'd say build up a smaller mobile force of horsemen, to be stationed centrally, and ready to provide rapid support offensively (finishing off America?) or defensively.
Old August 3, 2002, 02:57   #9
GoodFella
Warlord

Build as many as possible. Eaven if we don't upgrade all of them for the war, we'll have them for later.
Old August 3, 2002, 08:12   #10
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 23:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
12 veteran warriors. We may want to upgrade a few non-vets we have scattered around, also, to do local garrison work.
Old August 3, 2002, 08:14   #11
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 06:22
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i'd be happy with 8 VETERAN warriors. Poly could build a galley too, speeding up that part of the plan.

if we had 10-20 Swordsmen, you're just begging me to kill more people

i suppose with more swordsmen, we could attack france AND america at the same time, but I can wait if you can
One at a time . I think 10-12 swordsmen are nice to have. Better send 2 of them with 2 of the remaining archers as iron guard to Ubergorsk.

It's a good idea to upgrade the regular warriors too and send them to the battle. Let them fight first. 2 chances: Either they get upgraded, or we are rid of them.
Old August 3, 2002, 08:50   #12
OPD
King

Bhah only 19
even including regulars and garrisons for cities that haven't been built yet.

Estimated time till road completion 11 turns.

Currently have 3 vets in termina 3 regulars garrisoned in cities for happyness/def and 2 guiding settlers.

Poly builds warrior next turn and grows to 5. We can then fiddle with production to get it producing 1warrior per turn but that will mean no pop growth (although unhappiness if it did anyway) or we can leave it producing 1/2 W per turn.
Therefore poly can produce 6 or 11 warriors in the next 11 turns.

Thats 14 vet warriors by connection time.
Or 9 if Poly does 1/2 pt.
3 regs in core cities could be upgraded but would need replacement garrions.

Therefore in terms of upgrade for an attack on France possible options could be

-12 (Robber Baron)
-10 (Sir Ralph)
-8 (Uber)

Edit: Changed possibles to what had been suggested.

Last edited by OPD; August 3, 2002 at 09:12.
Old August 3, 2002, 09:33   #13
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I say we build 10 warriors. They should be sufficient to attacking France, finishing off America if we decide to and guarding our borders with Persia and Germany.
We could have more but that would spend too much of our treasury. We need to keep some money in our coffers so we can deal with technologies in the next era.
We could have less if we decide not to attack America or rely more heavily on the archers/spearmen stack, but we shouldn't. We should build at least 10 swordsmen so the rival civs will fear our military and not try anything funny.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 3, 2002, 10:53   #14
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

We should build as many warriors as possible (in Poly) before connecting the iron, and then should upgrade all warriors as soon as is possible. If we do that, then we'll move up from a military-non force to perhaps the only civ with good offensive capabilities. If nothing else, our defensive stocking in some of our cities is appalling, and this would be a good deterence force. We could use any extra to bolster our city defenses.

I'm also for upgrading any warriors we've still got lying around. To be honest, with the introduction of swordsmen, warriors are totally useless. With archers and spearmen, a warrior was equal in power if the unit attaked instead of defended or vice vursa (depending on which unit). Now, with swordsmen, warriors are totally useless. Any that aren't upgraded could be used as lookouts and pillagers -- they're not useful for much else now.

Bascially, I know I'm suggesting a lot of money be put into swordsmen, and I know it will hinder us in other areas, but I believe that we could become a significant military power through this, and could probably finish France, America, and even have a little war with Germany/Persia before these units become obsolete. In that time, we could become much stronger, and make ourselves one of the most powerful nations, overcoming our lousy starting position.

Just my two cents...

-- adaMada
Old August 3, 2002, 11:24   #15
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

, as many warriors as there is money , .....

have a nice day