What's that good for? 12 41.38%
Let's start a Banana Republic PBEM game! 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 8, 2002, 19:51   #61
Panda
Prince

Local Time: 05:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I added my "yes" vote to make 29, and checking the results it is quite clear that there is no real majority, but that this is a very polarised debate. I'd be interested if any PBEMers voted "yes" because I'd suspect that voting was simply split between those who don't PBEM voting yes, and those playing PBEMs voting no, both for self-interested reasons.

I know Tech and others have been cheesed off at the plethora of posting in the PBEM threads to the dismal response to creation questions. For myself I get cheesed off that PBEM threads drive other creation threads off the front page so quickly - who ever bothers hunting through the other pages to find something new. How many PBEMers know about my forthcoming scenario, for example, now that the page is buried under a ton of PBEM threads?

I want to see SL concentrate on production not just playing. I know that in the last debate about SL I commented that playing scenarios should have a home here for discussion (this was before PBEM really took off); I'd amend that PBEM and other scenario threads for playtesting should be welcomed, but not simply playing for enjoyment which really belongs under the Civ2-MP banner.

I think the opinion that SL would die without PBEM traffic is really conceited
Old August 8, 2002, 20:03   #62
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Local Time: 23:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Livings
I'd be interested if any PBEMers voted "yes" because I'd suspect that voting was simply split between those who don't PBEM voting yes, and those playing PBEMs voting no, both for self-interested reasons.
I'm involved with PBEM and voted yes because

Quote:
For myself I get cheesed off that PBEM threads drive other creation threads off the front page so quickly - who ever bothers hunting through the other pages to find something new. (Things get) buried under a ton of PBEM threads.
Old August 8, 2002, 21:06   #63
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 15:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
I'd be interested if any PBEMers voted "yes" because I'd suspect that voting was simply split between those who don't PBEM voting yes, and those playing PBEMs voting no, both for self-interested reasons.
I voted 'I guess' for the reasons I've posted.

Personally, I'm in two minds on this issue. I beleive that a PBEM forum would be good as it would help attract new players and would reduce the amount of clutter on this board. However, there's also a risk that the numbers of 'undesireables' joining games would also increase and that this board would die without the traffic...

I must say that my experiance this morning has tilted me further towards the seperate board camp. When I loaded Apolyton from a uni computer without logging in, all the top 15 or so threads had PBEM in their titles!
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon