ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 13:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas

I know the feeling of playing board wargames alone

The sheer folly of trying to cleverly move your counters when playing as the British in an attempt to fool yourself when it came time to switch and play as the Germans. . .

Now this I can relate to!
Its even worse when you have a wargame with special triggers/flags and have to decide when/how to play them - knowing that your opponent, ie: yourself. is both at their/your most vulnerable and has/hasn't the counter to what you're about to do.
Old August 13, 2002, 11:36   #32
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 06:25
I like the solo wargames that were produced, like Ambush! but of course the replayability of the missions is limited once you know where key hot spots are in certain scenarios.
Old August 14, 2002, 16:22   #33
PCRefugee
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:25
IMHO the best solo wargame was Avalon Hill's Raid On St. Nazaire....One of the few boardgames I still play now and then. Another good one was the solitaire module for Advanced Squad Leader but hampered by too many counters.
Old August 14, 2002, 23:57   #34
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

There is also Morsby's Raiders (sp?) published by Victory Games.
Old August 15, 2002, 16:06   #35
PCRefugee
Chieftain

Morsby's Raiders was one that I never got round to buying. It makes you wonder why developers haven't tried to convert a few more of these for the PC. I got 5th Fleet and 3rd Reich quite a while back and thought they were pretty faithful conversions. They didn't have all the bells and whistles we've come to expect but they were good solid wargames. I'd love to see a developer do Squad Leader properly but the chances are probably slim to nil. Oh well, I can dream.
Old August 16, 2002, 09:06   #36
Grumbold
Emperor

I'd certainly buy a PC version of Ambush! It should be relatively cheap to produce if you had permission to copy the boardgame scenarios exacltly. To gain mass market appeal there would need to be big changes in the graphics and probably the gameplay which is where the danger of ruining it would come (or turning it into something barely distinguishable from Close Combat.) I'm not familar with Raid on St Nazaire but I will keep an eye out at game conventions for a 2nd hand copy.
Old August 16, 2002, 13:12   #37
Urban Ranger
Deity

I suppose the biggest obstable would be the AI. The one for Scorched Earth, for example, is dumb.

They can always enable Internet play, so people can play online against one another.
Old August 16, 2002, 13:51   #38
PCRefugee
Chieftain

I agree Ambush would make a great PC game(as long as it had decent AI). Personally, I like a board game port to look like the board game but I've no doubt that I'm in the minority and graphics would have to be upgraded. As for Raid On St. Nazaire- it has a beautiful map with counters very similar to Squad Leader. It's certainly worth getting...especially if you pick it up for next to nothing. Highly recommended!
Old August 18, 2002, 00:28   #39
Urban Ranger
Deity

Long long time ago there was a company named Simulations Canada that used to make hybrids. The games are board games but they also come with programs to run on a PC.
Old August 18, 2002, 11:33   #40
Leonidas
King

Just thought I'd mention that you can download both Allied General and Panzer General FREE from the following site:

http://panzergeneral.net/downloads.html

Have fun!
Old August 27, 2002, 18:30   #41
Leonidas
King

There are now 276 scenarios and campaigns available for Panzer General II - and many more are being planned. You can find them here:

http://www.wargamer.com/archive/

And of course don't forget to visit JP's Panzers (currently with 944 ACTIVE members). Play and discuss your favourite wargame, including Panzer General II, Panzer General, People's General, etc. . . :

http://pub131.ezboard.com/bjpspanzers
Old August 29, 2002, 17:04   #42
Ubergeek
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I originally had a gigantic, very descriptive and enthusiastic endorsement of Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord typed out in this space, but when I read it over I realized it made me sound like a shill for the company, so I erased it. :-)

All I will say is that it puts to shame every other wargame I have played, tabeltop or PC. Check it out at www.battlefront.com. There's a downloadable demo. Seriously, it's the best danged wargame I've ever laid eyes on.
Old August 30, 2002, 09:36   #43
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 00:25
Hmm...thanks...but the Strategic Command game looks more like my style. Again thanks for the link.
Old August 30, 2002, 20:31   #44
Standup
Prince

I keep hoping for a better version of Third Reich but i'm not sure demand is there anymore as board wargames seem very much a minority pursuit now.
Third Reich was a reasonable solo game in parts. I use to spend time trying towork out how to capture Ppoland and Denmark in one turn with a 2-1 on Warsaw.
Another favorite solo was Atlantic Wall, especially the beach scenarios.
Old August 31, 2002, 00:49   #45
Ubergeek
Chieftain

Strategic WW2
Standup, have you ever played ETO? It's an out of print game on the same scale as 3R, but less abstract in some ways (individual, named capital ships, different aircraft types, etc.) Decision Games has recently published Advanced ETO -- it looks a lot more complicated than I feel like dealing with, but it also looks like it could be a lot of fun if you could ever figure out the rules.

Here's a link: http://www.decisiongames.com/html/advanced_eto.html
Old August 31, 2002, 16:33   #46
Jaakko
King

Local Time: 07:25
I'll also plug Combat Mission. I'll even go as far as to say it's threatening to usurp Civilization as the best game ever. It's so realistic it forces you to use real-life tactics, yet it's very simple to learn and play.

For grand strategy, there's a new game called Strategic Command. I've got the demo, and it rules totally.
Old September 1, 2002, 02:28   #47
Urban Ranger
Deity

The pieces look like cardboard counters though
Old September 1, 2002, 03:03   #48
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by PCRefugee
Morsby's Raiders was one that I never got round to buying. It makes you wonder why developers haven't tried to convert a few more of these for the PC. I got 5th Fleet and 3rd Reich quite a while back and thought they were pretty faithful conversions. They didn't have all the bells and whistles we've come to expect but they were good solid wargames. I'd love to see a developer do Squad Leader properly but the chances are probably slim to nil. Oh well, I can dream.
you can play ASL online versus opponents by using VASL

it provides the boards and peices, you provide the rules and scenarios

it is more a tool than a game though (it provides a dice bot also)

I like playing FtF much better thoguh (to me the best part of board games)

I have not found game players in my current city yet, but I hope to...

Jon Miller
Old September 1, 2002, 03:04   #49
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

here is VASL BTW

http://www.vasl.org/VASL4/ (I think, I ahve not used it much in a year (was more interested in playing FtF))

Jon Miller
Old September 1, 2002, 13:39   #50
PCRefugee
Chieftain

When it comes to boardgames FTF is the only way to play. There's nothing better than watching your opponents look of horror as you make your killer move
Right now, where PC games are concerned, I am totally hooked on Strategic Command. Anybody that likes Third Reich should check it out. There are a lot of similarities but also some subtle differences in game play and mechanics. The best way I can describe this game is Son Of Third Reich.
Old September 1, 2002, 13:57   #51
Urban Ranger
Deity

Have you played Europe in Flames? It's the SPI monster game about the WWI European theatre.

I think it's called Europe in Flames.
Old September 1, 2002, 20:15   #52
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Do any of these wargames have a decent MP following? I liked people's general, but I haven't really enjoyed any strategy games SP for a while now.
Old September 6, 2002, 17:27   #53
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 21:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Have you played Europe in Flames? It's the SPI monster game about the WWI European theatre.

edit... SPIs monster game was War in Europe - for WW2.

Talonsofts WW2 Euro theatre PC collection is called Europe in Flames, not sure if your WWI is a typo...

Europe in Flames represents the complete collection of TalonSoft’s award-winning East Front and West Front wargaming Campaign Series – including all the official add-ons and expansion packs! Boasting over 290 scenarios of personal, up-close action across 20 linked, historical campaigns and 18 dynamic, hypothetical campaigns, Europe in Flames provides months of gameplay.

yada yada yada. I did not like it, but I am more of a cardboard counter TAoW guy.

Last edited by Sten Sture; September 6, 2002 at 17:36.
Old September 7, 2002, 14:17   #54
Standup
Prince

Thanks Ubergeek it looks interesting and it wasn't a game i'd heard of. $110 sounds a bit pricey though especially as shipping to Europe will probably add a considerable amount.
Also, I'm not sure who i'd play against as I've been out of the 'proper' wargaming for a while as friends move, marry,work for a living etc. Still...
Did anyone ever play GDWs WW2 series ? I think it was called Europa and was the whole European war at Regimental level? The Eastern Front games alone seemed to occupy more floorspace than anyother game i played. I enjoyed Narvik (Norway 1940) but not sure i had the stamina for the rest.
Old September 8, 2002, 03:45   #55
PCRefugee
Chieftain

I remember playing Drang Nach Osten many years ago. It took up a whole room in space and a whole weekend in time. I still have copies of Narvik and Marita Merkur but never play them now. The beauty about PC wargames is that the cat can't sneak in and scatter your armies or leave furballs in central Europe
Old September 10, 2002, 17:33   #56
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 21:25
Desert Fox games has been a pretty good site for finding a copy of that grognard board game that my neighbor had twenty years ago...

http://www.decisiongames.com/html/desert_fox.html

Plus it helps the poor little ol' California economy.
Old September 17, 2002, 17:20   #57
Ubergeek
Chieftain

Best wargaming experience EVER
I just had to beat the drum a little bit over an experience I had last night with Combat Mission. I was playing the British trying to slug their way into a heavily-defended town, and all of a sudden, looming out ot the smoking, hellish wreckage of this little French burg, was a Tiger tank. It took out two of my Shermans in rapid succession, and the only thing I could think to do was let it shoot at my heavily-armored Churchill Crocodile (a flamethrower tank) while the rest of my tanks maneuvered for a flank shot. It was a ridiculous long-shot at best...

But what choice did I have? I trundled that slow Crocodile into the line of fire, and watched in amazement as the Tiger bounced NINE shots off its front armor without a single one penetrating. And suddenly a Comet managed to sneak into position for a flank shot and WHAM the Tiger went up in flames.

I have never bit my nails so hard while a plan played out, or cheered so loudly when it succeeded, in any other game I've ever played. I actually did a little victory dance.

In case you missed my plug earlier, Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord is the bee's knees. And the price has even dropped, now that the sequel's coming out.
Old September 17, 2002, 18:09   #58
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 00:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

How about World in Flames? A gigantic 80 bazillion card board cut outs of a game that spans WW2 and includes naval and air warfare. Basically, an Axis and Allies to the extreme! I still have my copy...er uh somewhere!
Old September 17, 2002, 18:12   #59
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Re: Best wargaming experience EVER
Quote:
Originally posted by Ubergeek
In case you missed my plug earlier, Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord is the bee's knees. And the price has even dropped, now that the sequel's coming out.
Was this SP or MP? It sounds kinda cool, but I only play strategy games MP these days.
Old September 17, 2002, 20:05   #60
Ubergeek
Chieftain

Combat Mission
DrSpike,

The incident in question was from a SP game, but the game does have a thriving MP community. I don't play MP myself, since usually I only play a couple of turns at a sitting (and the scenario I was playing was 75 turns long!) and I can testify that the AI in Combat Mission is exceptionally robust and provides more than a decent challenge, especially when it's on defense.