Old October 4, 2002, 06:11   #301
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 07:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I've downloaded it 5 minutes ago. It worked.
--Woody Allen
Old October 4, 2002, 06:59   #302
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:31
I had loads of problems with downloading zips from the directory yesterday. It seemed to be a database-wide problem and not linked to a few specific files.
Old October 4, 2002, 10:00   #303
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

Local Time: 23:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
I replaced the file - if it still doesn't work, it's probably not my fault!
alexman,

Thanks for checking. Thought my ISP's caching proxy servers needed to be rebooted or something, which usually requires some eternally long and boring waits on hold while they check...

It would seem that Apolyton has some decisions to make about this site. Guess it's time for some fresh blood so MarkG and DanQ can do some PtW testing. Hate to see something this good go more commercial but maybe it's time to up the advertising rates so they can get some more cpu time and bandwidth. After all they have the traffic.

Otherwise their great empire will be remembered only in our bloody dreams of conquest as is Ozymandias' empire on the sands.

D.

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

-Shelly

- Chinese Proverb

Last edited by Gen.Dragolen; October 4, 2002 at 10:06.
Old October 4, 2002, 10:07   #304
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

Local Time: 23:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Oh yeah, I just checked this morning and the download is working again.

D.

- Chinese Proverb
Old October 4, 2002, 10:20   #305
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:31
That poem's great!
Old October 4, 2002, 13:39   #306
IthacaMike
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:31
Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
Chariots and War Chariots are a special case because they are both at the beginning of an upgrade chain. Horsemen and WC both upgrade to Knights, that's why the Egyptians can build them both.

Sir Ralph, are you sure about mounted warriors? I would have sworn that the Iroquois can't build them after Chivalry unless they have no iron.
I've seen it too. I think that you can build your UU even when it is outdated if you have not had your Golden Age yet.

Mike G
Old October 4, 2002, 13:47   #307
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 01:31
Quote:
Originally posted by IthacaMike
...if you have not had your Golden Age yet.
If this is true, then we will have some very upset Persians (assuming they had their GA in the Ancient Age)with the current version of the AU mod.
Old October 5, 2002, 09:00   #308
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:31
Something I learned from the recent chat at Civfanatics: The Medieval Infantry has Feudalism as a prereq and upgrades to the Guerilla. IMO, there won't be a need to tinker with this feature in a PtW AU mod.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old October 5, 2002, 09:17   #309
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

I noticed a small error in the 1.04 readme: In the 'Changes to AI build-often list' section, the Iroquois 'Off. land units' should be 'added', not 'original', and 'Explore' should be 'removed'.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old October 5, 2002, 10:39   #310
player1
Emperor

Lockstep,
Do you know what is preq. of Guerrila?
Old October 5, 2002, 11:29   #311
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

From the Civfanatics chat:

[17:29] <@Chieftess> (Hygro) once again whats the info about guerrillas? You fraxians won't answer...
[17:29] <+Mike_Breitkreutz_FIRAXIS> Hygro: What about guerillas?
[17:29] <+FXS_Sombrero> Hygro: they are great units. All you need to know
[17:30] <+FXS_Speed_Bump> Hygro: somebody else did...6-6-1
[17:30] <+Mike_Breitkreutz_FIRAXIS> 6.6.1, Replaceable Parts required, cost 90. Most other units upgrade to them

EDIT: IMO, Mike's last sentence is a hint that Longbowmen will also upgrade to Guerillas.

Last edited by lockstep; October 5, 2002 at 11:34.
Old October 5, 2002, 20:52   #312
Chemical Ollie
King

Iv'e noticed a bug: When you build nuclear plants and hydro plants, they sometimes disappear after you have built them and you have to do it all over again. This continues infefinitely, but only for certain cities. I noted it in AU 106. Is this bug specific for AU or have you seen it in other games?
Old October 5, 2002, 20:57   #313
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Speaking of bugs... I can;t upgrade Legionaries to the new Longbowmen. Is there something I don;t understand?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 6, 2002, 01:10   #314
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Speaking of bugs... I can;t upgrade Legionaries to the new Longbowmen. Is there something I don;t understand?
What you don't understand is that I am an idiot and I don't learn from my mistakes. I forgot to add the "upgrade unit" flag again... sorry!

Olaf, I can't imagine why this mod would have the effect you are observing, but I have never seen it in other games either.
Old October 6, 2002, 01:24   #315
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

So, no upgrading Legions to the new LBs?

No problem... I would have been using it for the 0-Bombard more than anything.

Interesting situation, btw... given the situation in AU 107, I mostly prefer the 3 defense of Legions anyway. Do hps play any role in bombardment? I've got a bunch of original reg Warriors upgraded to Legions, and it seemed to me that they'd make great stack accomplices just for the 0-bombard, if upgraded to LBs.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old October 6, 2002, 01:38   #316
alexman

AU mod 1.05 (what AU mod 1.04 should have been) is up. Sorry again.
Old October 6, 2002, 01:45   #317
Theseus
Emperor

alexman, have you played any of AU 107 yet? I'm intrigued by Catt's report that in stock mode the AI civs are mining... I have to say, using 1.04, I am BLOWN AWAY by the AI civs. I would classify Persia, Germany, and Russia as 'killers,' with Babylon right behind, and France, as always doing well, next up.

In fact, the basic critique I would have would be spacing... otherwise, they are doing what I would expect the best human players to do (scary).

Old October 6, 2002, 01:50   #318
alexman

I have played enough of 107 to know that I am getting my butt kicked, but not enough to know the entire map yet. I'll definitely keep an eye on the monster we have created and let you know.
Old October 23, 2002, 21:17   #319
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 00:31
I just finished my first game with AU 1.05 last night.

Level: Regent
Civ: Germans (first try, you gotta love those Panzers! )
Everything else random.

Got a continents map with a nice starting spot. I built 2-3 cities then archer rushed the Americans which respawned somewhere farther away. I then eliminated the English with knights (and later built my FP in London) and the Aztecs with Cavs. I used the Americans as a punching bag to get out of mobilization (between Hoover and Modern). I gained control of my continent at that date and I had a pretty productive empire (even managed to build the Iron Works, my first time since I bought the game )

I nailed most of the wonders and I have become a killer civ

1- Ships were really present in my game. Although I did not build an awful lot, I have seen many AI-AI naval fights off my coasts.

For that reason, it would be fun if you could build privateers later on in the game. I could have weakened them even more with a bunch of denationalized ships. I had a couple and I didn't upgrade them to destroyer because they lost their principal attraction.

2- I have seen a lot of AI-AI wars: The Japanese crushed the Chinese, the Zulu then attacked the newly conquered Japanese cities but the Japs allied with the Persians to fight off the Zulu and the Americans. It ended in a relative tie. All this without my involvment!!

Civs are more aggressive against each other, I like it!

3- I have not seen any difference in mining/irrigation. The AI still irrigate plains and run a checkered pattern on grassland, even though they don't need that much irrigation.

This feature must be hard coded... Too bad!

4- The new LB is great and I like the upgrade of swordmen.

5- Stayed in Monarchy and Democracy so I could not try the newly improved communism. Maybe free unit support for democracy makes it a bit too powerful... but I have seen many AI democracies.

That's about it. If you want screenshots or a save, let me know, I'll post one!!

--Kon--
Old October 27, 2002, 13:32   #320
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

I know this is a dumb question that I'm sure I've seen the answer to many times before, but how do you install a mod?
Old October 27, 2002, 14:59   #321
Theseus
Emperor

PB, it's a scenario... just put the BIC file in your scenario folder, and instead of starting a new game, load the AU Mod scenario.

Old October 27, 2002, 15:02   #322
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

oic, thank you. This is the first time I've altered the game (other than patches).
Old October 29, 2002, 10:00   #323
yxhuvud
Chieftain

I have noticed a rather annoying bug in the au mod.

The AI researches medicine before RR due to the fact that medicine now have a wonder, which makes the AI chose that over RR
Old October 29, 2002, 13:46   #324
badman
Warlord

i don't think that's a bug or even a problem.
Old October 29, 2002, 20:27   #325
yxhuvud
Chieftain

The mod is supposed to make the AI more of a threat. The change in question does exactly the opposite.
Old October 29, 2002, 20:35   #326
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I was under the impression that the only factors an AI considers when selecting which tech to research is the tech's value and the civ's preferences, as listed in the editor. Steam Power has a value of 120, Medicine of 100. So without preferences, the AI will always choose Steam Power over Medicine. But some civs are (I might get the specifics wrong here) Industrious and thus prefer Medicine, which Expansionist civs covet more.

Anyone know for sure (don't worry, I'm not bringing any talk of probability in this thread!)?

Dominae
Old October 30, 2002, 10:02   #327
yxhuvud
Chieftain

No, wonders definitely have an impact on tech value. Ever wondered about the AI not wanting music theory after bach is completed?

It also would explain why the AI always research astronomy before banking..
Old October 30, 2002, 10:35   #328
Dominae
Emperor

yxhuvud, your point is well taken concerning Music Theory and Bach's. However, I've seen the AI research Banking before Astronomy on many occasions. In any case, in my (admittedly few) games played with the most recent AU mod, the civs have not showed a clear preference for Medicine over Steam Power.

Dominae
Old October 30, 2002, 11:01   #329
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I wonder if we should not drop that Longevity wonder entirely and solve this way the situation Medicine vs. Steam Power. It's not only useless, but counterproductive. Or perhaps we should give it another power, like making continental Aqueducts free of charge or so. That would make it actually worth to build. As it stands, I never build it, be it in the modern or industial age. Even in my French powerplay in September (played with the AU mod) I didn't build it, even though I had a big tech lead. And some unlucky AI builds it then and gains more downsides than benefits.
Old October 30, 2002, 12:32   #330
Dominae
Emperor

Sir Ralph, some people think that Longevity is actually too good if placed at Medicine. I think changing what Longevity does is out of flavor for the AU Mod. Until someone demonstrates that it's a serious problem, I think we should keep the change as is. And, I like it.

Dominae