Old August 4, 2002, 20:31   #1
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 23:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I can't believe what just happened!!!!!
I had above 100,000 culture, and my culture seemed X2 as much as the nearest civ. So, I should have won a culture victory, right? What I am missing?

To make things even worse, a couple turns later, I get the message that I just suffered a humiliating defeat. Apparently, another civ completed the space ship! I neglected to put spies, so I never got any warning or anything!

I should have won by culture. I even had the highest score and everything.

I feel completely cheated!

Check out my save game to see what I am talking about. I am Egypt (yellow).
Attached Files:
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old August 4, 2002, 21:46   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Did you leave this victory condition on at the start of the game???
Old August 4, 2002, 22:02   #3
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
Did you leave this victory condition on at the start of the game???
I used the default settings. All victories should have been on.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
Old August 4, 2002, 22:21   #4
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 00:31
The Greeks have 58,892 culture points, therefore you did not have twice as many as any other Civ. You were close though...

Dan
Old August 4, 2002, 22:23   #5
Matt_G
Settler

I downloaded your game and took a look. The reason you didn't win is because you did not have 2x the culture of the all other civs.
When you have twice the culture they have they become 'admirers of' your culture. When you are dead even or higher but less than twice the culture of them they are 'impressed with' your culture.
The Greeks were only impressed.

So all other civs need to be admirers or in awe of your culture.

HTH
Old August 4, 2002, 22:24   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:31
Ouch! tough break Diplomat
Old August 4, 2002, 22:54   #7
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
The Greeks have 58,892 culture points, therefore you did not have twice as many as any other Civ. You were close though...
Dan
Thanks Dan for the answer. From the histogram, it looked like I did have twice the culture. But the numbers don't lie...

I'll just have to try harder next time.
Old August 5, 2002, 00:18   #8
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 01:31
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Dan ex machina... well, maybe not a solution, but at least an answer.

Thanks for sticking around. You guys impress me to no end.

But take care of that Venge guy...
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 5, 2002, 04:41   #9
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_G
When you have twice the culture they have they become 'admirers of' your culture. When you are dead even or higher but less than twice the culture of them they are 'impressed with' your culture.
This is one of the few examples where the cultural advisor is really useful. In one of my games (Regent), 100,000 culture points also weren't sufficient for cultural victory. From the power graph it looked like I (the Chinese) had twice or almost twice the culture of civ no. 2 (the Germans), but they were only 'impressed', not 'admirers'. So I attacked them and managed to take five or six of their fifteen cities, which slowed down their 'production' of culture and triggered a cultural victory for me.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW