Old August 5, 2002, 12:19   #1
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 23:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
APOLYTON needs a BIGGER house!
These last two weeks I can hardly ever log on or post to the forums because it keeps going to the screen: "Too many users logged on, please try again in a few minutes". Is there anything we can do to help build some room additions to Poly's house?

(It's really annoying when you just typed an intricate reply and you lose everything you typed because there were too many people on the forum already)
Old August 5, 2002, 12:45   #2
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 08:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Besides adding my whine that the problem is annoying, I can give you a tip of always copying your reply to the Clipboard before posting.
Old August 5, 2002, 13:25   #3
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 00:33
it has happened a lot recently. perhaps 21k is a bit too big for the servers right now ?
Old August 5, 2002, 13:33   #4
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 07:33
it just needs a better system administrator
Old August 5, 2002, 13:45   #5
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Markos:

Is it true that SETTLER doesn't provide any tech service?

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old August 5, 2002, 14:01   #6
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

We are renting a dedicated server. this means that the company from which we have rented is only obliged for the well begin of it's hardware and it's net connection. support is offered on basic things, not a full technical support

Therefore, the only time something was done by the company staff on the server the last 3.5 months was when a manual reboot was needed. The rest(for better or worse) was all Dan and me.
Old August 5, 2002, 14:57   #7
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Yeesh, I got that message several times this morning while trying to get here, and there were only 180 people on the forums...
Old August 5, 2002, 16:21   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
Yeesh, I got that message several times this morning while trying to get here, and there were only 180 people on the forums...
Yeah, that's sorta at the root of my concern.

First, I'm not complaining about Apolyton, Apolyton is the unquestioned crown jewel of Civ sites. What I am concerned with, is if we are having problems, what can we do to correct them? Seeing as PTW is going to cause a demand for customization, shouldn't we expect more hits after it's release (with multiplayer, people will probably want more units/scenarios and leader graphics as those will be more accesible with the supposed new options with PTW)

I'm not any good with programming, but if Apoly ever needs any 3d graphics, etc I'd be more than happy to help, and I'm sure there are some Apoly members that could help with other stuff.

Again, don't mean to whine, I just see a potential problem down the road....
Old August 5, 2002, 18:45   #9
Ari Rahikkala
King

Needs a better sysadmin? Maybe it just needs a simple change to the settings of the database. Something like increasing the number of possible concurrent connections and shortening the timeout. That should at least take care of the "stuck" connections Markos told about. Then again, it would also bloat the error logs and cause other funky problems...
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old August 5, 2002, 21:28   #10
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

TRue, I was very upset by this.

It's one thing when the forum is off line. Then i know it's bad and i wait for a day.

But today was very bad.

It seemed ok, but every second post (and my posts tend to be VERY long) got eaten up.

So i got very very frustrated in the last two days.

My posts were disappearing in scores.

At one time I almost made a decision to leave this place for good.

Seriously, one thing is unreachable, another thing is when the service plays pranks on you.

Highly irritating.
Old August 5, 2002, 21:57   #11
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Sorry if i come off like a jerk from my post, but it was very very irritating.

i understand however that you're all humans and the servers make errors too

if there are seirous problems, i'd suggest shutting downt he site and fixing them. because otherwise, we are "battling" the site forums, which leaves us more angry, that if we knew that the site is off now, but will be 100% later.
Old August 5, 2002, 23:37   #12
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 13:33
Maybe if there is a way to set a time out for our guests
Old August 5, 2002, 23:40   #13
Urban Ranger
Deity

Or maybe if you can write a bot to kill all the stuck connections
Old August 6, 2002, 01:27   #14
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I say we contact Bill Gates of Geek civilization and demand he give up the msn server for Apolyton's sole use or risk war with the Great Bananas.......

........after all our words are backed with nuclear weapons.
Old August 6, 2002, 02:10   #15
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:33
(It's really annoying when you just typed an intricate reply and you lose everything you typed because there were too many people on the forum already)

Switch to Opera and you'll never have that problem. It doesn't forget stuff when you press back.
Old August 6, 2002, 02:53   #16
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
We are renting a dedicated server. this means that the company from which we have rented is only obliged for the well begin of it's hardware and it's net connection. support is offered on basic things, not a full technical support

Therefore, the only time something was done by the company staff on the server the last 3.5 months was when a manual reboot was needed. The rest(for better or worse) was all Dan and me.
So, in essence, SETTLER is responsible for the hardware (server) and its connection to the greater Internet while you and Dan have to keep the software running properly?

'Poly runs on Red Hat, right? Just curious ... seems some folks think RH isn't that great and that MySQL (or whatever) is better. (I'm obviously not familiar with the "ins-and-outs" of just what constitutes good software for forums.)

Anyway, you and Dan are the twine that keeps this baler together. Here's to continued good luck!

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old August 6, 2002, 03:15   #17
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

some corrections:

"settler" is just the name we gave to our server, not the company we rent it from
"redhat" is a distribution of linux(operating system)
"mysql" is a database server application(aka daemon)

Old August 6, 2002, 05:23   #18
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

OK, but where is the bottle neck that causes the too many connections message?

Can you correct that?
Old August 6, 2002, 07:51   #19
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Is the problem in the number of users that are online, or the number of Apolyton windows that are loading?
Old August 6, 2002, 09:56   #20
Urban Ranger
Deity

SDMB eats posts all the time too.
Old August 6, 2002, 10:08   #21
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Eli, generally every window you're loading in is sending a separate request to the database.
Old August 6, 2002, 14:14   #22
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

what happens to all those email's that have been dispatched to "our" technical staff , ...

have a nice day
Old August 6, 2002, 14:27   #23
Ari Rahikkala
King

If vBulletin uses persistent database connections, maybe you should try SQL Relay ( http://www.firstworks.com/sqlrelay.html )? It does connection pooling, which PHP (AFAIK) doesn't have support for. Should slow general loading times very slightly but make the database work a lot smoother.
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old August 6, 2002, 14:28   #24
Ari Rahikkala
King

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

what happens to all those email's that have been dispatched to "our" technical staff , ...

have a nice day
They go into the Great Bit Bucket in the sky .
Old August 6, 2002, 14:33   #25
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by LightEning

They go into the Great Bit Bucket in the sky .
hi ,

grrrrrrrr

there was a time today that apolyton was out of the sky , and THAT aint fun , ......

, Mark , Dan , what about asking a proxy (8080) from a firm or so , like AOL (no not those) but something like bell , yahoo , so that when your server is down those ones could pick up , ....

have a nice day
Old August 6, 2002, 15:39   #26
Ari Rahikkala
King

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

grrrrrrrr

there was a time today that apolyton was out of the sky , and THAT aint fun , ......

, Mark , Dan , what about asking a proxy (8080) from a firm or so , like AOL (no not those) but something like bell , yahoo , so that when your server is down those ones could pick up , ....

have a nice day
Probably wouldn't be too useful. Apolyton has a lot of dynamic and personalised content, and proxies don't like that. If it was completely transparent and could immediately take over when Apolyton goes down (and Apolyton rarely actually goes down - the database usually has only temporary problems) it could perhaps keep some of the parts of the site outside the forums viewable, but not much more. It would basically be more trouble than it's worth.
Old August 6, 2002, 16:24   #27
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 00:33
The server likes me. It always lets me on and works just fine for ME. If there are too many users, it just bots soneone else and lets me on.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old August 6, 2002, 16:33   #28
Ari Rahikkala
King

Maybe our server is actually LatG? Taking into account your signature that would make sense...
Old August 6, 2002, 16:49   #29
Rasbelin
Emperor

Things have got worse for me too, as now even I encounter this traffic jam problem. Well, let's just hope more bandwith or server capacity will come available.
Old August 6, 2002, 19:10   #30
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Wow, now that I know I'm not the only getting blocked out, I seem to feel better........