View Poll Results: Which rules do you want to enable for the game ?
Cooperation victory 15 16.30%
Factions's respawn 17 18.48%
Variable starting point 11 11.96%
Technologic stagnation 3 3.26%
Obtain technology by conquering a city 12 13.04%
Blind research 11 11.96%
Intense rivality 5 5.43%
Unattainable world map 6 6.52%
Unity capsuls near the landing point 8 8.70%
No surprising events 4 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 5, 2002, 16:37   #1
Juliennew
Warlord

Local Time: 06:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Debate on the rules
Here is a poll to determine the rules we want for the game.
I didn't include the victory conditions as I think we will enable them all. I also didn't include Ironman and accelerated start.
In my opinion, we should enable blind research as the ideological debate will be funniest. The con of this rule is that the science advisor will be quite useless.
What do you think ?
Old August 5, 2002, 16:43   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:34
Re: Debate on the rules
Faction Respawn.

/Edit: No offense, but this poll is quite useless. I mean, what if you dont want the thing to be enabled? There is no "No Cooperative Victory" etc option, so...is anything with a vote something we enable?
Old August 5, 2002, 16:44   #3
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

if we choose blind research we have to look at what the science minister can do besides research maybe change name and melt it with something else?
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 5, 2002, 16:46   #4
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

i think the commissioner makes the rules and he can use this as a refer....or do we use standerd rules? (that is with blind research)
Old August 5, 2002, 16:47   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
i think the commissioner makes the rules and he can use this as a refer....or do we use standerd rules? (that is with blind research)
Well whats the point of a democracy game when all we do is elect a commissioner? In the civ3 demo game, we poll for the choices.

I think we should do a repoll with "NO" options.

Its a demo game for the people, by the people! (Sorry, couldnt resist )
Old August 5, 2002, 16:48   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:34
There shouldn't have been a problem, Tass. The poll tells you how many ppl voted (it should), and you can see what proportion of the total voted for each option. But I think ppl are voting as if this was a one-option poll, since there are only a few choices with more than one vote. We perhaps need to do this again now...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 5, 2002, 16:49   #7
DeathByTheSword
King

ok but then again we have to make a poll with standerd rules or custom rules but I do not understand it real well what U mean so please make the poll.
Old August 5, 2002, 16:49   #8
Juliennew
Warlord

I don't think this poll should be official, it is lonly for debating of the rules we want for this game. Did you see that it is a multiple choices poll Tassadar ?
Old August 5, 2002, 16:50   #9
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
There shouldn't have been a problem, Tass. The poll tells you how many ppl voted (it should), and you can see what proportion of the total voted for each option
So we only enable what gets the majority? What if we want Blind Research AND Cooperative Victory? I agre, I think we should do this again.
Old August 5, 2002, 16:51   #10
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Juliennew
I don't think this poll should be official, it is lonly for debating of the rules we want for this game. Did you see that it is a multiple choices poll Tassadar ?
Yes I did, but what if someone does not want cooperative victory? They can't vote for a "NO COOPERATIVE VICTORY", and since its almost inventiable that everything will get at least one vote.....how many votes will be required in order to enable it?

(Just a small smiley to lighten up the mood )
Old August 5, 2002, 16:52   #11
DeathByTheSword
King

aha no i get the point with the NO part
Old August 5, 2002, 16:52   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:34
Correction to my above post: it isn't going to work like I thought it would.... for some reason I voted for a few options, and my one vote for many options turns into 5 votes. I'm sure in another multi-option poll I saw (namely civman's Bill of Rights from the Civ3 game) that you could tell exactly how many ppl voted in total.

Looks like we DO have to start again. Sorry Juliennew, them's the breaks.

EDIT: Hey WAIT! It says 4 voters now!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 5, 2002, 16:53   #13
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:34
IMO instead of rushing with polling we should debate issues and then try to reach a consensus of what to poll.
Old August 5, 2002, 16:56   #14
Juliennew
Warlord

Quote:
I think we should do a repoll with "NO" options.
If you don't vote for a rule, I think it means "no". And we can see if a rule is popular or not by the percentage of the people who voted for it.
I also did it because I don't know the standard rules and never play with it.
Old August 5, 2002, 16:59   #15
DeathByTheSword
King

you could say you need 2/3 of the votes for a role thats 66.667%or 50% right down the middle just a idea
Old August 5, 2002, 17:01   #16
Nubclear

Quote:

If you don't vote for a rule, I think it means "no".
Ok, lets make a scenario. First we put a colony....er, wrong scenario.

49 percent of everyone in the AC democracy game vote FOR Cooperative Victory because they like it Well, 51 percent of the people dont like it. Because there is no "no" option, that 51 percent is never heard and, well, cooperative victory passes (probably, depending if Im understanding everything correctly)

Quote:
And we can see if a rule is popular or not by the percentage of the people who voted for it.
See above.

Quote:
you could say you need 2/3 of the votes for a role thats 66.667%or 50% right down the middle just a idea
That would be OK. It would please me But it was never clearly defined how something "passes" or is "rejected", so....How we gonna do it?

Old August 5, 2002, 17:01   #17
Juliennew
Warlord

Quote:
Looks like we DO have to start again. Sorry Juliennew, them's the breaks.
No problems

Quote:
No offense, but this poll is quite useless.
Don't worry, no offense here. It is a democratic game and the debate you exposed your opinion in a debate
Old August 5, 2002, 17:02   #18
Nubclear

Quote:

No problems

Don't worry, no offense here. It is a democratic game and the debate you exposed your opinion in a debate
Yeah, dont worry: I've created bad polls too.
Old August 5, 2002, 17:06   #19
DeathByTheSword
King

well i am for the 2/3 votes needed troughout the game......something to put in the constitution maybe?
Old August 5, 2002, 17:38   #20
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:34
I would like to make a firm point AGAINST blind research.

With blind research you have four options to discuss about. One will be chosen as the faction policy. But surprise surprise, when the tech is discovered it isn't of the chosen field. Nobody happy. As everyone knows, blind research is quite broken.

Put against that unblind research. Most of the time you have more than four techs to choose from. Hence more discussion than with blind research. And besides just deciding the next tech to research, one can also pick a longterm research path. For example, there could be a group in favour of bee-lining towards D:AP asap, while another favours going to Environmental Economics as soon as possible. As the path towards both these techs have prerequisites of other fields (eg for BUILD EnvEcon you have to research the EXPLORE tech EcoEng), such discussions are impossible with blind research.
Old August 5, 2002, 17:46   #21
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

we should unable blind research 'cos we want a science advisor.
Old August 5, 2002, 17:54   #22
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:34
I would strongly suggest against cooperative victory, and anything else liable to make the game less interesting, or needlessly easy.
Old August 5, 2002, 17:55   #23
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:34
i like co-op, look first, steal tech when conquer base, unity scatter, Unity survey (so you CAN see the map) and hate blind research tech stag, and restart factions.
Old August 5, 2002, 18:09   #24
Anodyne
Prince

I'd say NO tech when conquer base. That would unbalance the game too much in the favor of The Hive, Spartans and Believers...

And with Blind Research it's more realistic, if you like it that way (like I do). Although Maniac has a point there, too...
Old August 5, 2002, 18:11   #25
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:34
if you get no tech when conquer a base, whats the reward for war?
Old August 5, 2002, 18:14   #26
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
if you get no tech when conquer a base, whats the reward for war?
Bases, projects, the knowledge of eliminating another faction and torturing their leader for information......the works
Old August 5, 2002, 18:17   #27
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:34
I agree. A tech for conquering a base?
If we threw a rock at a flying saucer and it crashed, you think we could build more? pft
Old August 5, 2002, 18:19   #28
Juliennew
Warlord

Maniac has a good point against blind research.

Quote:
I'd say NO tech when conquer base. That would unbalance the game too much in the favor of The Hive, Spartans and Believers...
I'd say yes especially because these three factions aren't very good at research and don't usually are friendly in diplomatic relations. This rule is their only way to catch up in tech. I also voted against cooperation victory as it would perhaps shorter the game.
Old August 5, 2002, 18:21   #29
Nubclear

Quote:
Maniac has a good point against blind research.

I'd say yes especially because these three factions aren't very good at research and don't usually are friendly in diplomatic relations. This rule is their only way to catch up in tech. I also voted against cooperation victory as it would perhaps shorter the game.
But then again, considering they do like to invade EVERYONE.....Would it not put them in the position to become the most powerful, technologicallya advanced empire just because they conquered bases?

Sorry, but I say no to get tech when conquer base. I mean, if we enable that....Whats the point of researching anything? Lets let the computer do it. Or let Miriam/Yang/Santiago conquer everyone and then conquer them. The game becomes much more boring.
Old August 5, 2002, 18:28   #30
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

If the techsteal rule is off, just build a probe team. Some extra work for the Intelligence Director.