Old August 6, 2002, 19:12   #31
Anodyne
Prince

Local Time: 07:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Now, Kass, you just might have plunged us down a gorge here..
Old August 6, 2002, 19:17   #32
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:36
A gorge? Um, our game is pretty fragile if my single opinion can send it roaring down.
Old August 6, 2002, 19:21   #33
Anodyne
Prince

Yeah, but "Speak of the devil", you know...
Old August 6, 2002, 19:26   #34
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Ah. Superstition. It's just my vivid imagination, pay no heed to it's warnings... if you dare.
Old August 6, 2002, 20:54   #35
Leland
Prince

Maybe I'm just day dreaming here, but I believe that the first commissioner election could very well deal with important issues if we let the commissioner draft the constitution, with input from the people. That way, the candidates could put forth their suggestions as to how the game should be administered, and whoever manages to convince the independent voters that he's the best man for the job win. Yeah sure we could write the constitution (if we need one, I think we do because paperwork is fun) together without any official Commissioner in charge, but that would kind of be besides the point of a democracy game, wouldn't it?
Old August 7, 2002, 00:01   #36
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 16:36
I don't think we need a Constitution, as long as the most basic workings are defined.

Of course we are getting along fine without a Commissioner at the moment...there is no game going. Once the game starts, and the Commissioner starts carrying out the will of the people, and supplying the historian with all the information, then we will see them become more involved.
Old August 7, 2002, 15:21   #37
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I wish to point out that with the polls now open only one candidate has been willing to come forward with any open opinions on any issues brought before him. All other candidates have declined to comment. Ask yourself do want a Commissioner that will speak to the people or one that will not?

E.L. Crisler
Fundamentalist Faction
Old August 7, 2002, 15:25   #38
Juliennew
Warlord

Local Time: 06:36
Crisler, the first commissioner will only organize the game so opinions aren't really needed as the game didn't start. And everyone was united before the landing on Planet. The real debate will take place for the september's term.
Old August 7, 2002, 17:39   #39
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Crisler, do I hear a broken record?
Old August 7, 2002, 17:46   #40
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Do I see sheep following blindly leaders that have no backbone to speak their minds. Perhaps they are hiding something?

Broken Record, possibly but if the message is true why does that matter? Not important yet, wrong, each election is important or no election would be bothered with. If you want someone at the head that will not openly discuss thier policies then I say something is not right.

E.L. Crisler
Fundamentalist Faction
Old August 7, 2002, 18:31   #41
Leland
Prince

Sorry to tell you this Crisler, but Juliennew and Kassiopeia are right... if you want to have a good campaign, focus on what makes you the most competent person to set up the game, what your opinions are on the game mechanics (i.e. the constitution, roles of commissioner/directors, etc) and not strategy. So far, the only reason I'm voting you is party loyalty.

Oh, other candidates are welcome to elaborate on their views... let's have some campaign speeches, shall we?
Old August 7, 2002, 18:31   #42
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Do I see sheep following blindly leaders that have no backbone to speak their minds. Perhaps they are hiding something?
Perhaps the have better things to do then debate for the sake of debate? The Off Topic is for that.