Local Time: 22:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Any kind of history?
Old August 6, 2002, 12:33   #3
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 23:36
The World History forum at Civfanatics is a good lead to follow. The discussions have generally been very good. Having such a forum here would mean I don't need to go there anymore...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old August 6, 2002, 12:35   #4
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What kind of things would be in a historical section? Things like "Let's make an alternate history story thread," or things like "Why I'm pissed that the [insert civilization here] isn't in Civilization," or what?
Old August 6, 2002, 13:01   #5
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 06:36
Do you mean 'cilivistion historical' or 'off-topic historical'?
Old August 6, 2002, 13:33   #6
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 07:36
He means the Spink, Area 25, Black Saturday, CS Banned for pathatic reasons, kind of stuff.
Old August 6, 2002, 14:23   #7
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Re: history on apolyton
Quote:
Originally posted by HuangShang
Yo... think apolyton can create a historical section
hi ,

not bad , .....

, so what would go in it , special events , a database that would list all the banned people , when something special happens , like a meet in a country , stuff like when the most people where evr on the site , ...
the letter Markos sends out every week , ...

have a nice day
Old August 6, 2002, 14:30   #8
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

A history forum would be good, and it has a natural tie-in with the nature of Civ. However you've got to lay down the ground rules or such forums get bogged down with constant thread-jacking about the accuracy of the bible.

Then you've got to consider whether alternate history or pseudo/mystical history in the Graham Hancock vein gets in. Personally I'm all for it, but I doubt it'll happen on the grounds that it's "off topic" (which I would dispute).
Old August 6, 2002, 14:45   #9
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Jeremy
A history forum would be good, and it has a natural tie-in with the nature of Civ. However you've got to lay down the ground rules or such forums get bogged down with constant thread-jacking about the accuracy of the bible.

Then you've got to consider whether alternate history or pseudo/mystical history in the Graham Hancock vein gets in. Personally I'm all for it, but I doubt it'll happen on the grounds that it's "off topic" (which I would dispute).
hi ,

when its going to happen it should stay in the community , but threadjacking and spam would not be allowed , .....
and if it has the support of the owners and mods , why would anyone want to bring spam to something that is nice and intresting for the entire community

have a nice day
Old August 6, 2002, 14:46   #10
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Hmm, this has been brought up here a few times, the answer is always no.

I don't see why it can't be tried out.
Old August 6, 2002, 15:41   #11
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris 62
Hmm, this has been brought up here a few times, the answer is always no.

I don't see why it can't be tried out.
hi ,

playing ahead ; NO

strategic playing during the same turn , yes , we could learn a lot from it

since its back on top , why not deal with it

have a nice day
Old August 6, 2002, 16:44   #12
Rasbelin
Emperor

I suggest a history related forum too, as I would be one of the regulars. Perhpas Markos and Dan could at least think about it. IMHO a very good idea!

Now, the only obstruction is that the admins probably would like that the posts in that group wouldn't count, but that's a problem we could probably handle.
Old August 6, 2002, 16:48   #13
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Apolyton history of the world project: essays and articles on every single civilisation from the dawn of time to the present day.

*wakes up*
Old August 6, 2002, 16:54   #14
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Panag- I've read your post in which you quote me with great interest. However what you've written appears to bear no relation to my post that you quoted. Have you been drinking creosote?
Old August 6, 2002, 17:27   #15
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

What's creosote? Is it anything like spotted ****?
Old August 6, 2002, 19:22   #16
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 00:36
please don't quote panag in return, i still have no wish to see his posts
Old August 6, 2002, 20:07   #17
tniem
King

How about with the same rules as OTF (no post count etc.) but with simply the added rule that any thread that does not have to do with history (however that is defined) is closed by mod and any posts that thread jack result in a PCR? Only those really interested in talking history would then post because anything else would cause harm to the precious PC without any potential gain.

I for one would be for it and probably would post there more than I do in the OTF.
Old August 6, 2002, 20:10   #18
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
How about with the same rules as OTF (no post count etc.) but with simply the added rule that any thread that does not have to do with history (however that is defined) is closed by mod and any posts that thread jack result in a PCR? Only those really interested in talking history would then post because anything else would cause harm to the precious PC without any potential gain.
Some good ideas. I personally would support such a forum. I think it would be great. However, the decision is up to the owners.

But I would have a few different rules... I wouldn't just close threads that had nothing to do with history... and a PCR for threadjackers and spammers wouldn't be enough
Old August 6, 2002, 20:27   #19
Anodyne
Prince

An Apolyton History section here on the pages (not the forums) would be interesting to read. We just need to find someone to write it all down
Old August 6, 2002, 21:15   #20
HuangShang
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 22:36
i mean where you can discuss real history of the world...
like WW2 events
and things the the civ-games miss out...
Old August 6, 2002, 21:52   #21
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
you mean like everything?
Old August 6, 2002, 23:15   #22
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
i mean where you can discuss real history of the world...
like WW2 events
Oh... that has already been brought up in the past, and the answer was no.
Old August 6, 2002, 23:39   #23
Rasbelin
Emperor

But what about counting the posts sent in that forum, if they would be good quality posts?

Things I could think of discussing...

Finnish and Russian history
WWII
The Great War

P.S. The general theme of my Poly profile suggests that too.
Old August 7, 2002, 11:58   #24
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
What's creosote? Is it anything like spotted ****?
Its a preservative for wood, nasty brown oily stuff.
Old August 7, 2002, 23:46   #25
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

This has been discussed before, but worth restating as it has been some time.

World history etc. can be discussed in the "Off-Topic" forum. We do not see this as no longer being adequate; however, if you wish to 'make a case' on this front to the contrary at this time, email us and we will take them into consideration -- no promises, though.

Oh yes, and please remember to be civil in your letters. Threats/flames etc. will be duly ignored.

-------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 8, 2002, 02:24   #26
The Pioneer
Prince

I like the idea, curely civ and other Sid's game have to do with it and since I am somewhat of a history buff myself I'd like to see it. It should be closely moderated since threadjacking and spamming and personal insults are bound to happen from some hot heads . I really do not care about Post count so whether they count or not is not of any significance as it shouldn't for those interested in such a Forum.

As for history being discussed in the OT forum, I think it's a bad idea! There are quite a few interesting posts but there are just too many people with too many other things in mind that crowd that Forum. I do post once in a while over there but it's my world, it's not a "comfortable" place to discuss history. It's also to broad of a subject (the OT) and it will be hard to get discussions on going on topics like D-Day, Antietam or Alexander the Great, etc.

So long...

PS: What's a PCR?
Old August 8, 2002, 04:06   #27
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:36
Post Count Reduction.
Old August 8, 2002, 04:28   #28
The Pioneer
Prince

Thanks for the info Skanky! This is the second time you helped me out today! I'll toast to your health at Dinner tonight .

So a mod can PCR you? I should be real careful especially from Ming and that look on his avatar .
Old August 8, 2002, 08:33   #29
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 15:36
I brought this up this time last year and it got knocked back However, it's nice to see that Dan (and Mark's?) attitudes seem to be shifting

Plug If you want a good history site check out the link in my sig. It was started about a month ago by Sas, a regular poster on this site, and seems to be going well
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old August 8, 2002, 09:43   #30
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

I've always been an strong advocate of having a History Forum here on Apolyton: it's the only reason why it's NOT cristal clear to me that Apolyton is a better site than CFC. I absolutely love CFC's History Forum (even though lately I haven't had the time to visit it anymore). Thanks to the Civilization games I discovered how faschinating history is and currently history is my favourite hobby after Civ and the thing I spend most of my time on when I'm not busy with school, work or Civ/Apolyton. Thanks to Civ and the great discussions with history buffs here on Apolyton, I even started followed history classes on my uni next to my regular computer science classes.

Civilization fans are often history fans and love discussing history. One could think of many topics to make OT subforums of (politics, humour&jokes, non-english forums, PC tech discussions, etc) but history is in this respect special. Not only is there probably a larger than average interest in history among Apolytons (which in itself would IMHO be enough reason to create a forum for it), it would also serve a useful purpose: currently mod/scenario makers don't have a single forum to go to with questions/ideas/discussions/etc about history. If a CtP2er wants to make as scenario about the Spanish Civil War, he has to do all the historical research required for such a scenario himself, outside Apolyton, as AFAIK noone in the CtP2 forums knows much about Spanish history and could help him out if he posted a thread about the topic. When this person would start a thread about creating a CtP2 scenario in the Civ2 and Civ3 forums it would be regarded as off topic and either closed or moved to the CtP2 forums. In theory such a person could start a thread in the OT forum about this, but it's doubtful that this would work well. Most likely all the Spanish history buffs are in the Civ2/3 forums and don't visit OT. The thread would probably sink like a brick and not help the scenario maker at all. At best he would be given some links to external websites by OT regulars, but it probably wouldn't generate a real discussion on Spanish history. If there was a seperate History Forum, scenario makers and history buffs from all sections of Apolyton could all come together in this one place and discuss the topics of their scenarios and thus generate the ideas and info required for scenarios, as well as just generally share interesting ideas/facts/insights on history.

Outside the Civ3-Civilizations forum, there isn't too much history discussion going on on Apolyton right now, which might lead to the assumption that a History Forum is not needed. However, the very presence of a History Forum would get all the history buffs together and would actually generate discussion. The only suitable alternative we have now is the OT and this is such a huge and intimidating forum, both in number of posts/posters and in range of topics that can be discussed, that it doesn't really make it an attractive place for discussing history. Especially not since discussion can easily go off topic there and end up in political debates or whatever, which is perfectly 'legal' in OT but doesn't interest most of the real history buffs. Can you imagine a decent discussion on the historic background of the ME conflict in the OT that *doesn't* turn into a political thread? We saw this development of the presence of a dedicated forum generating discussion happen with Civ1/Colonization as well (and with the History Forum on CFC): we hardly had any discussions going on about these games (apart from the occasional 'Can we have a Civ1/Col forum?' thread) until such a forum was created. Now there is a lively community in that forum. With a History Forum this effect would probably be even stronger because Civ1/Col are (as much as I hate to admit it) pretty much dead games, while history is a topic that never grows old...

If work to set up/run a History Forum is required (aside from moderating it, which I know Markos at least doesn't like to take volunteers for), I would be prepared to volunteer to help with this.