Li Jin
Zhao Kuangyin
Yue Fei
Zhu Yuangzhang
Xuan Ye
Sun Yat-Tsen
Deng Xiaoping
Chiang Kai-Chek

Last edited by Wernazuma III; August 12, 2002 at 17:13.
Old August 7, 2002, 17:34   #2
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 07:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
No one suggesting changes?
Did I really get them all in their "native" spelling? I doubt that, especially for the Egyptian list. Some of those cities are from an italian historical atlas...
Old August 7, 2002, 20:12   #3
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 06:37
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
For a Chinese leader: the priest Hwui Shan (sp?), who explored the Americas in the 23rd century BC.
Old August 8, 2002, 07:39   #4
Gangerolf
Prince

Quote:
Hierakonpolis
Shouldn't it be Hieraconpolis? I don't know what the native egyptian spelling is like though.
Old August 8, 2002, 07:41   #5
Gangerolf
Prince

Quote:
For a Chinese leader: the priest Hwui Shan (sp?), who explored the Americas in the 23rd century BC.
23rd century BC? Sounds controversial to say the least
Old August 8, 2002, 09:35   #6
Ribannah
Queen

It is well documented in the Shan Hai King by minister and later
emperor Yu, who sent out explorers to 'the four corners of the earth'.

The voyage to Fu Sang, as they called the Americas, was measured to be about 7,000 miles east of China. The priest reported that 'the cities of this country need no walls as they wage no wars'. Stone arrowheads (Folsom Points?) were returned as tribute to Emperor Yu in 2205 B.C.

I have to add though that there is some confusion whether Hwui Shan was on the first Chinese expedition to the Americas or on a later one (around 500 AD). But there seems to be little doubt that he is a real historical figure.

Last edited by Ribannah; August 8, 2002 at 09:50.
Old August 8, 2002, 12:20   #7
Wernazuma III
Emperor

I agree with Gangerolf. This sounds like taking Atlantis for fact.

In reply to Gangerolf: The ancient Agyptians themselves didn't call the city Hierac/konpolis at all. It's a Greek name. As I've transcribed "kappa" as k in the Greek city list, I decided to do it here too.
Old August 8, 2002, 13:55   #8
Ribannah
Queen

Some day you'll have to do that, too.
However, Plato did not describe the exact position of Atlantis, or its coast, or the landscape with rivers and mountains that match exactly what we now know about Atlantis, or the minerals that are found, or the adobe houses of the Atlantians and their way of life, and he didn't leave anchor stones and coins nor did he teach them agriculture, writing or the bow & arrow. Neither do we have legends told by the Atlantians of how they were visited by other peoples from beyond the ocean before the white people arrived.
Old August 8, 2002, 15:24   #9
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 22:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Fu Sang was an ancient Chinese name for Japan, who lies 700 miles out to the sea from China.

The Hwui Shan existed. However, he didn't discover America, but merely brought Japan into contact with China. Beginning from 620AD, Japanese sent scores of delegations study the Chinese culture. For example, their former capital Kyoto was modelled after Chang An.
Old August 8, 2002, 15:39   #10
Wernazuma III
Emperor

I won't reply to this after this post, as this really isn't the place. But all this sounds more like the work of someone who wants to "proove" something at all cost, disregarding the million arguments against it, founding it on 3 lines in an old account and 2 items. The teaching of writing and agriculture is the most ridiculous in all this, beside the early date...

Lord Merciless' reply does sound reasonable though.
Old August 8, 2002, 17:01   #11
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 23:37
Ribannah-- There is no evidence at all that he ever visited America. Indeed, it is highly improbable.
Old August 8, 2002, 18:19   #12
Ribannah
Queen

Well, it seems funny to me that you think the idea of the Chinese reaching the Americas is so outrageous, while they had the equipment and the thrive to do it. The Buddhist priests made much further journeys than that to spread their belief.
Also, like I said, most of the original report has been saved.
It can be found in the Imperial Archives in Beijing, where it was studied by - who else - Jesuit priests.

But like Wernazuma III says, this should be discussed in another thread.

Lord Merciless, Hwui Shan's description of mountains and rivers does not match the geography of Japan.

Fu Sang is not an ancient name for Japan. It's the Chinese name for the Mulberry tree, which grows in China (and Japan) but also in Honduras and Guatemala. Japan was well known and already had a name, the newly discovered land still needed one.

Last edited by Ribannah; August 8, 2002 at 18:57.
Old August 8, 2002, 18:24   #13
Ribannah
Queen

Oops double post.
Old August 8, 2002, 19:15   #14
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:37
Quote:
The voyage to Fu Sang, as they called the Americas, was measured to be about 7,000 miles east of China. The priest reported that 'the cities of this country need no walls as they wage no wars'. Stone arrowheads (Folsom Points?) were returned as tribute to Emperor Yu in 2205 B.C.
60 minutes or whatever show that was on never proved that.

It is likely, supposedly, they possibly could have, but why would they have? We're talking about an amazingly advanced civilization that could have developed gunpowder, but did not have the necessity to...

Quote:
It can be found in the Imperial Archives in Beijing, where it was studied by - who else - Jesuit priests.
The report I heard was that information was only found 20 years ago by some strange person who had a strange theory

(Now please note: I don't discount that the Chinese MAY HAVE reach N. America... The question is why they would have even tried... They had indonesia and Australia even closer (although the winds weren't exactly favorable there)

And just so you don't think I'm slamming the chinese, I know they visited Constantinople, etc. during the roman ages... As well as reaching the tip of africa...
But the main question is why they would travel 7000 miles the other way when they could easily go east? They had no need.

Last edited by DarkCloud; August 8, 2002 at 19:24.
Old August 8, 2002, 19:21   #15
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah

Fu Sang is not an ancient name for Japan. It's the Chinese name for the Mulberry tree, which grows in China (and Japan) but also in Honduras and Guatemala. Japan was well known and already had a name, the newly discovered land still needed one.
I'm ethnically Chinese and know my NATIVE language better than you.
Old August 8, 2002, 19:23   #16
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

-
Just wondering, Lord Merciless- is it also a name for the Mulberry tree?
Old August 8, 2002, 19:25   #17
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
It is well documented in the Shan Hai King by minister and later
emperor Yu, who sent out explorers to 'the four corners of the earth'.
So?
Many ancient rulers said they sent out explorers to the four corners of the earth- are you prepared to believe them all?
Old August 8, 2002, 19:27   #18
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Quote:
Well, it seems funny to me that you think the idea of the Chinese reaching the Americas is so outrageous, while they had the equipment and the thrive to do it. The Buddhist priests made much further journeys than that to spread their belief.
Sources? Evidence? Proofs?

If the Commies in Beijing found out that some of my ancestors have reached America, they would have made myriads of propaganda by now. So far I haven't heard or seen anything.

I only remember that couple years ago, some one proposed that Chinese might have reached America. But the notion was rejected by the mainstream Chinese scholars and academics because there is no sufficient evidence to support that.
Old August 8, 2002, 19:42   #19
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Shan Hai King, or better pronouced Shan Hai Jin, was a very controversial book. It indeed described sceneries that can be found in America. For example the Grand Canyon. But since its language was so imprecise, the scenery it described may have well been a river valley in China.

Archeologically speaking, China's recorded past can only be traced to around 1500BC when the Shang dynasty moved its capital to Anyang. The last 12 rulers of Shang were the first historically recorded rulers of China. There is also a legendary Xia dynasty before Shang. But beside Shi Ji, there is really no other historical source confirming its existence. Even Shi Ji borrowed many of its records from folklores and legends. Recent archeological digs so far confirms the existence of relatively sophiscated cultures, but no signs of town-sized sites or written documents from this time have been discovered.

So the claim that Chinese made it to America in 2250BC was a complete non-sense, given today's archeological evidence. You can always fantasize about all kinds of wild claims flying around, but that's fantasy, not facts and science.
Old August 8, 2002, 19:56   #20
Ribannah
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
It is likely, supposedly, they possibly could have, but why would they have? We're talking about an amazingly advanced civilization that could have developed gunpowder, but did not have the necessity to...
As for the reason of the earliest expeditions (sent by Yu), I'd say illusions of grandeur. This Yu was a very ambitious man who eventually made emperor. The later (400-500 AD) expeditions were inspired by the wish to spread Buddhism.

Note btw that at least these later voyages did not go due east but via the Bering Sea, as safe as trips like this can be. They then proceeded along the west coast of the Americas, mapping the land and its inhabitants a ways inward.

Later, this route was retraced in its entirety by the Jesuits who had studied the reports.

There were more Chinese expeditions around 1400 AD by admiral Zheng who is also said to have circumnavigated the world. His maps were the probable basis of the Toscanelli map that was used by Columbus.

Quote:
But the main question is why they would travel 7000 miles the other way when they could easily go east? They had no need.
Er - they DID go east.

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Many ancient rulers said they sent out explorers to the four corners of the earth- are you prepared to believe them all?
Name one.
Old August 8, 2002, 20:01   #21
Ribannah
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
Archeologically speaking, China's recorded past can only be traced to around 1500BC ...
This only implies that 2250 BC is a rough estimate. Nobody is claiming otherwise.

Quote:
I'm ethnically Chinese and know my NATIVE language better than you.
Cool!
But I notice you didn't answer DC's question about the Mulberry tree ...

The story that Fu Sang indicated Japan was started during a weak 18th century rule. It was always the local custom to downplay earlier dynasty's achievements; I already mentioned the bookburnings. The communist rule was no exception to this tradition either.

Quote:
I only remember that couple years ago, some one proposed that Chinese might have reached America. But the notion was rejected by the mainstream Chinese scholars and academics because there is no sufficient evidence to support that.
IIRC that story was about remnants of the Shang dynasty fleeing to the Americas. This is something different.

Last edited by Ribannah; August 8, 2002 at 20:12.
Old August 8, 2002, 20:08   #22
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Actually, Admiral Zheng He and his sponsor Zhu Di(the Emperor) would quite suitable Chinese GLs.

If Zheng He actually discovered America, then it would be even more disappointing for Chinese because they didn't make anything out of that discovery.

Ray Huang's book '1587 - A Year of No Significance' fully described how pathetic Ming really was.
Old August 8, 2002, 20:15   #23
Ribannah
Queen

Quote:
Actually, Admiral Zheng He and his sponsor Zhu Di(the Emperor) would quite suitable Chinese GLs.
Hey, you're absolutely right!
Wernazuma III, are you stil with us?

Quote:
If Zheng He actually discovered America, then it would be even more disappointing for Chinese because they didn't make anything out of that discovery.
Well, he made maps. Did was what he was asked to do.

Quote:
Ray Huang's book '1587 - A Year of No Significance' fully described how pathetic Ming really was.
Old August 8, 2002, 20:35   #24
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Quote:
Cool!
But I notice you didn't answer DC's question about the Mulberry tree ...

The story that Fu Sang indicated Japan was started during a weak 18th century rule. It was always the local custom to downplay earlier dynasty's achievements; I already mentioned the bookburnings. The communist rule was no exception to this tradition either.

IIRC that story was about remnants of the Shang dynasty fleeing to the Americas. This is something different.
You really know Chinese history well, Sang indeed means the Mulberry tree. But why do you assume that mulberry trees only grow in Americas? Do you know that silkworms thrive on mulberry trees, and that there is a Chinese surname of the same character?

I think that Zheng He made it to America is quite credible, but that people during Shang time got there? That's too wild.
Old August 9, 2002, 12:24   #25
Wernazuma III
Emperor

OK, please stop it. I don't mean this as offense, actually I think it's fun to discuss such stuff, but not here. If someone opens a thread about this in Off-Topic and tells me, I'll readily join in.

Zheng He as a Chinese GL? - Good idea, done.
Old August 9, 2002, 12:33   #26
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Sorry about that, Wernazuma.

As for your Chinese city list, it looks pretty good. However, you may want to be consistent and replace all 'ts' with 'Q' and all 'hs' with 'X'.
Old August 9, 2002, 13:01   #27
Wernazuma III
Emperor

OK, remind me, should I forget it, as I got to go having dinner.
Old August 9, 2002, 14:18   #28
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Er - they DID go east.
I meant west.

Quote:
There were more Chinese expeditions around 1400 AD by admiral Zheng who is also said to have circumnavigated the world. His maps were the probable basis of the Toscanelli map that was used by Columbus.
Where did he stop near europe, the canaries? or did he circumnavigate via southern routes?
Are there any European records or native tales to confirm this?

Quote:
As for the reason of the earliest expeditions (sent by Yu), I'd say illusions of grandeur. This Yu was a very ambitious man who eventually made emperor. The later (400-500 AD) expeditions were inspired by the wish to spread Buddhism.

Note btw that at least these later voyages did not go due east but via the Bering Sea
I still don't believe that, but it does make some sense.

Quote:
Name one
I don't think I have to, but remember Constantine, Nero, etc. many roman empires claimed to have discovered the whole world, etc. strange claims.

And as for Alexander, he thought he conquered just about everything (except for the western Europe)

Other rulers have made calims to have sent explorers to 'the four corners' but this was before everything was discovered. For them the 4 corners could have been perhaps 500 miles in each direction
Old August 9, 2002, 16:29   #29
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Qingtao and Tienqin?
Old August 9, 2002, 16:35   #30
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III
Qingtao and Tienqin?
Was it spelled Tientsin? Damn, 'ts' could also be 'J'. So in this case: Tienjin. Qingtao is correct, although it could also be Qingdao. But I don't know a simple way to tell you when to use 't' and when to use 'd', so I think we should just leave the rest the way it is.