Old August 6, 2002, 16:28   #1
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 01:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The brilliant AI
Well, yes it's brilliant, but I just used that title to get Soren's attention.

So here's the question: Say we have two defensive units. Infantry, with both AI offense and AI defense flags in the editor, and Mech. Infantry, with only the defense flag. Say the AI builds an Infantry unit in an attack role because it doesn't have access to oil or saltpeter. What happens to that unit later, when it's time to upgrade (assuming he now has the necessary resources)?

a) Does it upgrade retaining an attack role, even if Mech Infantry doesn't have that flag set in the editor?

b) Does it upgrade to a defensive role, thereby changing the balance of the AI's offensive and defensive units?

c) Does it not upgrade at all, instead performing attacks against more modern units until it's killed?

PS. Note that this is not the case in the standard game. Mech Infantry actually has offense and defense flagged. But does that mean that there is a chance that the AI will actually build Mech Inf. instead of tanks for attack, even though they both require the same resources?
Old August 6, 2002, 16:34   #2
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

Local Time: 00:37
the answer is b)... if MI's do not have an offensive flag option, then the only MI's the AI can have are "defensive" MI's.

Last edited by Soren Johnson; August 6, 2002 at 17:46.
Old August 6, 2002, 16:43   #3
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

Thanks Soren - your'e the best!
Old August 6, 2002, 17:14   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Six minute response time!!

(but, Soren, do you mean MAs or MIs?)

Assuming MIs, this means that the AI will not mass upgrade it's offensive Infantry until it has Tanks?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 6, 2002, 17:18   #5
alexman

Theseus, I believe you always have tanks when you have Mech Infantry. They require the same resources, don't they?
Old August 6, 2002, 17:23   #6
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 06:37
Wellexcept for the fact that the two units are at the opposite ends of the Modern Age tech tree. Mech Infantry requires computers, I believe, while Modern Armour becomes availible with Synthetic Fibers. Both have prerequesit techs independant of each other, so you can have one without the other.
Old August 6, 2002, 17:25   #7
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I just meant that it wouldn't upgrade until it had built a sufficient number of Tanks to maintain balance, which I would think of as a mistake.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 6, 2002, 17:34   #8
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 22:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think the AI is building Tanks on a bigger scale in 1.29f. But since Tanks are considered offensive weapons, the AI doesn't build many under Democracy and during peace time. Thus a human player has it very easy to backstab the AI.

I think the key here is to give AI greater emphasis on building more Tanks and fewer Infantries.
Old August 6, 2002, 17:38   #9
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Yes, but then your forcing the AI to take a much more aggressive stance even if in a 'peaceful' government. Personally, I think that the number of Offensive to Defensive unit ratio should be more greatly influenced by the Civ's Aggresiveness factor rather than a forced AI script.
Old August 6, 2002, 18:09   #10
=DrJambo=
Prince

Local Time: 05:37
Soren, could you let us know which improvements in Civ3 fall under which categories in the "build often" list (civilisations tab of the Editor)?

This would really aid us modders.

Many thanks if you can.
Old August 6, 2002, 19:57   #11
Killerdaffy
Warlord

Location: in other words a gang leader aspiring to Presidency
DrJambo,

most of the information is already available in the key to AI greatness thread in the strategy forum.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=56961
Old August 6, 2002, 20:10   #12
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 07:37
nice trick, alexman

I guess the spark of attention from Soren is already gone, but if not, I'd really appreciate some comments on the 'bugs from MT V testing' thread in the strat forum. Most of these are related to the AI, but I have to admit the title isn't that catchy as this one

DeepO
Old August 6, 2002, 22:46   #13
JohnM2433
Warlord

Local Time: 21:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
I think the AI is building Tanks on a bigger scale in 1.29f. But since Tanks are considered offensive weapons, the AI doesn't build many under Democracy and during peace time. Thus a human player has it very easy to backstab the AI.
There's an old saying that "Those who wish for peace should prepare for war," or something like that. Meaning that a strong army is a powerful deterent of enemy agression. Nuclear weapons have been used almost exclusively in this fashion (thank goodness). Also, even "offensive" units have important uses in defensive warfare -- you can attack invading units in your territory. In fact, unless the enemy's offensive unit has a defensive unit protecting it, it is usually better to do this than simply to wait to be attacked.

So, in conclusion, even a peaceful, defensive democracy needs a balanced military, not just mainly defensive units. In other words, the AI is dumb.
Old August 7, 2002, 00:43   #14
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnM2433
. . .So, in conclusion, even a peaceful, defensive democracy needs a balanced military, not just mainly defensive units. In other words, the AI is dumb.
Right on the nose!

This AI is BRAINDEAD, not "brilliant".

I once was the number one power with China, on my border, a very close second. There were by then six other civs scattered around.

I decided to take out China and as soon as I developed tanks I went after him. (I had modded the game so I wasn't restricted by Firaxis' stupid unit values and too few units, but tanks were still the best time to attack then).

WHAMMO! I hit him hard. Did very well that first turn.

I then waited for the inevitable DEVASTATING COUNTERATTACK - made all the worse owing to the ridiculous and illogical UNLIMITED MP's of units on railroads.

That counteratttack never came!! Just a few paltry attacks with cavalry, some tanks, and no artillery of course. The stupid AI is too dumb to use artillery.

So, I continued to roll over China. It was easy, unchallenging, and rather tedious. All because of Soren's STUPID AI that thinks "the best defense is lots of defensive units". Soren obviously knows NOTHING about military strategy. Without OFFENSIVE units to counterattack you will LOSE, especially as the AI can't figure out how to use artillery offensively.
Old August 7, 2002, 01:54   #15
The Pioneer
Prince

....and he spoke !.... once again!

So long...
Old August 7, 2002, 06:00   #16
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Coracle,

The problem is simply that insufficient time is spent refining gameplay versus all the other development tasks necessary to produce a game such as Civ3 in today's PC game environment.

The whole process is so big that it gathers momentum and goes out of control. Have you read what has transpired with Moo3?

Civ3 was a big money maker because of the marketing power of the Civilization and Sid Meier names. Firaxis only had to create a passable rendition of Civ. They didn't have to create anything new, good, or special. Whether they could have is debatable isn't it?

At any rate, Civ3 is what Civ3 is. I agree with you that the gameplay is, at its height, uninspired, and at its worse, unbelievably boring.

Maybe someone will create some decent gameplay and then build a game around it someday soon. Sid has done it quite a few times. Just because Jeff Briggs is not capable of such work doesn't mean we won't have anything to look forward to. We just need to be prepared to wait a few years or five.

The fact is that game makers can't live forever on past laurels.
Old August 7, 2002, 07:12   #17
=DrJambo=
Prince

Local Time: 05:37
i sometimes wonder why Coracle even bothers hanging around a forum for a game he seems to despise so much?!

why don't you find something better to do with your time?
Old August 7, 2002, 09:17   #18
dunk
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
(I had modded the game so I wasn't restricted by Firaxis' stupid unit values and too few units, but tanks were still the best time to attack then).
I wonder what this means. Methinks his game has been modded out of balance.

Old August 7, 2002, 09:42   #19
Nym
Prince

Just a question, which I think is related to this thread : does the AI upgrade units? I really wonder when I attack remaining bowmen during modern age.
Old August 7, 2002, 09:46   #20
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Nym
Just a question, which I think is related to this thread : does the AI upgrade units? I really wonder when I attack remaining bowmen during modern age.
If you play the standard version of Civ3, bowmen can only be upgraded to longbowmen, and even the AI seems to know that the money for the upgrade would be wasted in this case.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old August 7, 2002, 11:55   #21
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by =DrJambo=
i sometimes wonder why Coracle even bothers hanging around a forum for a game he seems to despise so much?!

why don't you find something better to do with your time?
He can't.
He is still playing Civ3.

How elese he would have "up to date" bashing info?

P.S.
Anway, if Civ3 AI is "braindead", then try higher diffculty level.
AI cheats can increase challanging factor and fun in that case.
Old August 7, 2002, 21:56   #22
JohnM2433
Warlord

Local Time: 21:37
Well, I personally think the game is fun, or at least incredibly addictive. I haven't played enought to learn all of the AI's tricks yet, though. When and if that happens, the game will lose a lot of its charm.

But by then Play the World will be out, with multiplayer. That will be the real fun.
Old August 8, 2002, 03:26   #23
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnM2433
But by then Play the World will be out, with multiplayer. That will be the real fun.
Indeed.