View Poll Results: Revolution?
Yes. We need this. 30 43.48%
No. I like immature kids who can't get things done. I want this game to go on for years with 1 turn per turnchat. 25 36.23%
Abstain. 14 20.29%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 9, 2002, 03:05   #181
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Don't blow this "Party Politics" Thing Out of Proportion
Quote:
Originally posted by GoodFella
No need for anyone to be a drama queen here. Party politics haven't been the apocalyptic evil that they've been made out to be. They've only played a very small role in this game.
Try going behind the scenes....on both sides. Party politics plays more of a part of civ3 than people care to indicate. Or it could just be something to do with what my sig says....

Quote:
psst...Vote UFC!

Last edited by Nubclear; August 9, 2002 at 03:10.
Old August 9, 2002, 03:22   #182
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
No Tass. I don't think your prior residence plays too much of a role, from my POV. I could be wrong.

However, I agree with you that party politics and manipulation of opinion along party lines are far too prevalent in this game.

I urge people to listen to the individuals speaking and to vote with the person you agree with over all else, and especially over party affiliation. There have been bad apples from both major parties (I think). Our task is to pick the good ones regardless of what your leaders or party affiliations dictate.

I also don't really see a point to parties in a game where all of us have such immediate power to vote on all issues and to voice our opinions ourselves. Why should we subordinate our own views and interests to others?
Old August 9, 2002, 04:56   #183
mtgillespie
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
No Tass. I don't think your prior residence plays too much of a role, from my POV. I could be wrong.

However, I agree with you that party politics and manipulation of opinion along party lines are far too prevalent in this game.

I urge people to listen to the individuals speaking and to vote with the person you agree with over all else, and especially over party affiliation. There have been bad apples from both major parties (I think). Our task is to pick the good ones regardless of what your leaders or party affiliations dictate.

I also don't really see a point to parties in a game where all of us have such immediate power to vote on all issues and to voice our opinions ourselves. Why should we subordinate our own views and interests to others?
This is one of the most sensible things i've heard in this thread. IMHO, the biggest problem with parties has not been that people become swayed by their own party. I think it's that people from the opposition party see the party label and immediately assume they know your playstyle and personality from that, rather than listening to what you say.
Old August 9, 2002, 06:38   #184
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 07:38
By the way...

This one just appeared on my screen as I was submitting a post in another thread:

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
-- Daniel Webster
Old August 9, 2002, 07:00   #185
mtgillespie
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Guardian : That reminds me of a quote from "yes prime minister" (a frighteningly accuracte british political sitcom). I can't remember tha exact quote, but the gist was that most bad political decisions follow the same three step thought process:

1. We must have change
2. this is a change
3. Therefore, we must do this!

This is why the idea of revolution is such a bad one. It promotes change without discussion or rational thought. We must not promote change for changes sake.
Old August 9, 2002, 10:15   #186
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:38
Society to Oppose Politics
Maybe this is a good time to bring back STOP, Society to Oppose Politics, formerly the Opposition Party. We have cool hats, and a very very flexible agenda.

Our cool hats look like this:

More about STOP is here:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=53349

Oh, did I say we have cool hats and a very very felxible agenda?
Old August 9, 2002, 10:37   #187
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 23:38
*whispers to himself*
'Wow, those are cool hats....'

Kman
Old August 12, 2002, 15:33   #188
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 21:38
You can always count on the army to act irrationally in the heat of the moment.
Old August 14, 2002, 06:07   #189
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 07:38
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

hi ,

indeed , sometimes those "parties" are doinf more harm then good , .....

their should be something about that in the col , ...

have a nice day