Old August 7, 2002, 12:04   #31
Stuie
King

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Re: Gallic Swordsman
Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
horseback riding is still being researched --> still in ancient times!!! so it can't be a medieval unit.
In the past Firaxis has admitted to manipulating the game in order to get screenshots featuring the units/improvements/whatevers that they feel like showing off. So I wouldn't take any of the pre-release screenshots at face-value if I were you.
Old August 7, 2002, 12:04   #32
ranskaldan
Prince

Local Time: 00:39
Ottomans?? what happened to "Turks"?
Old August 7, 2002, 12:13   #33
JtheJackal
Warlord

Ottomans makes much more sense than Turks.
Old August 7, 2002, 12:14   #34
ranskaldan
Prince

why?
Old August 7, 2002, 12:19   #35
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:39
Quote:
Originally posted by ranskaldan
why?
turkey only exists for less than 100 years. the ottomans where around for... er ... a lot longer
Old August 7, 2002, 12:28   #36
JtheJackal
Warlord

The Ottoman Empire was an Empire that lasted from I think the 15th century to the 20th century. The took over the Byzantine Empire, the Arabs and others
At the height they had spread over much of North Africa, the Middle East and the Balkans
Old August 7, 2002, 12:30   #37
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

From about 1300-1400 AD to the fundation of Turkey, to be more precice. I think Turkey was funded in 1923, but I'm not fully sure, the year just came to me...

Oh, and I really hope yin comes back! Apolyton just isn't the same without him...!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old August 7, 2002, 12:31   #38
Switch
Prince

I'm sure this whole Gallic Swordsmen with Miedievil (sp?) Infantry and Horseback riding still being researched is just caused by their use of the editor. I seem to remember that with previous screenshots that there were some problems like this, and that they had probably just used the editor.

And the inclusion of the Koreans is good , though I still would've liked to see the Inca included .

All in all, I still want to buy PTW. In fact, I want it now more than ever!
Old August 7, 2002, 12:31   #39
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 02:39
Re: Re: Re: Gallic Swordsman
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

In the past Firaxis has admitted to manipulating the game in order to get screenshots featuring the units/improvements/whatevers that they feel like showing off. So I wouldn't take any of the pre-release screenshots at face-value if I were you.
I agree, Stu, they probably "inserted" the gallic swordsman there just to see how it would fit in the screen.

And I think that the truckload of buttons on the worker screen are buttons to perform actions that were only available before via shortcut keys, as was suggested by a poster.
Old August 7, 2002, 13:46   #40
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

New Player Setup/Rules Options
What no Inca?
Heay Firaxis you have 3 months to add Khmer Kingdom/Cambodia (Ankor Wat etc.) and the Inca (what did they call their country?)

I am only an occasional reader of the forums, so could someone fill me in on the new setup options:
- Respawn AI Players
- Eliminate by City Loss
- Eliminate by Regicide
- Eliminate by Killing all Kings
- Victory points by Locations
- Victory points by Unit Capture
Old August 7, 2002, 13:54   #41
Stuie
King

Re: New Player Setup/Rules Options
Quote:
Originally posted by Flinx
I am only an occasional reader of the forums, so could someone fill me in on the new setup options:
- Respawn AI Players - AI Player starts over when wiped out.
- Eliminate by City Loss - Civ is eliminated if one city is lost.
- Eliminate by Regicide - Civ is eliminated when its king (new unit) is killed.
- Eliminate by Killing all Kings - Err, not sure about this one.
- Victory points by Locations - victory points are awarded for holding certain locations on the map for periods of time.
- Victory points by Unit Capture - victory points are awarded for capturing certain units.

Except for Respawn AI, these are the new multiplayer options that Firaxis is also making available for single player games. However, I recall that they mentioned some time back that the AI would not be optimized to pursue these victory conditions, so using them in single player could be hit or miss.
Old August 7, 2002, 14:10   #42
dunk
Prince

I'm almost positive the "medevial infantry" isn't complete. Just look at its name. Medieval Infantry. And the Celts having a 4.2.2 unit? That can't be complete either, unless the units will have new values. But then the Medieval Infantry is 4.2.1.

Who knows? It'll be determined before the game ships.
Old August 7, 2002, 15:25   #43
Mahdimael
Prince

Local Time: 05:39
Actually, Gamespot has some impressions of the expansion, which describes some of the new options:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...876753,00.html

Some highlights:
"Play the World enables you to complete other tasks while waiting for a player to complete his or her turn, so you can engage in diplomacy and take care of some general civic duties. In addition, turn clocks will be used to time your actions for different parts of the game, so the game has a real-time feel to it, but it's still very much turn-based. "

"...has added new mechanisms for winning a multiplayer match. There's a new mode called regicide, where the only objective is to kill an opposing player's king, so you don't have to worry about wiping out an entire civilization. There's another mode where the civilization with the first city to fall will lose the game. But perhaps the most drastic addition is that of victory points. Whenever you perform a certain type of action in the game, such as controlling a certain part of the map for a particular time period or some other similar action, you'll be allotted victory points. If you set the multiplayer match to a one-hour time limit, then the player with the most victory points at the end of that period is declared the winner."
Old August 7, 2002, 17:11   #44
Trevman
Warlord

Local Time: 21:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
YEA!! No PC civs!!
That's all I have to say
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.
Old August 7, 2002, 17:23   #45
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
Except for Respawn AI, these are the new multiplayer options that Firaxis is also making available for single player games.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mahdimael
Gamespot highlights:
"...has added new mechanisms for winning a multiplayer match. There's a new mode called regicide, where the only objective is to kill an opposing player's king, so you don't have to worry about wiping out an entire civilization."
I like this in single player games too if it means you get all of another civ's cities if you capture/kill its King. That may be a bit unfair to the AI and actually is a little simplistic, but having to conquer every city is a bit tedious sometimes and ridiculous in a recent case where the Persians were stuck in a small tundra corner of my continent, had no access to iron, saltpeter etc. and were stuck back in the stone ages while I was in modern times - considering the Persians are not militaristic they should have given up long before my armies had to rampage through every city.

Quote:
There's another mode where the civilization with the first city to fall will lose the game.
Ouch! Harsh! Good for Multi-player, but I'm leaving this one off in Single-player

Quote:
But perhaps the most drastic addition is that of victory points. Whenever you perform a certain type of action in the game, such as controlling a certain part of the map for a particular time period or some other similar action, you'll be allotted victory points. If you set the multiplayer match to a one-hour time limit, then the player with the most victory points at the end of that period is declared the winner."
I cant see that this would affect the single-player version of the game one way or another unless the victory points outweigh the current elements of your score.
Old August 7, 2002, 17:42   #46
Mahdimael
Prince

I like the victory points idea. I dunno about you, but I don't have 4 hours to play an online game. It would be good if you could set it for other milestones other than time- turns, a specific wonder being built, or a tech being researched.

One thing I would like to see is an expanded UN, as in AC. Pollution treaties, UN resolutions, etc. Especially in multiplayer, you could have some interesting debates!
Old August 7, 2002, 17:54   #47
player1
Emperor

Is that only me, or there is an different tile-set in those screenshots?

Ocean water is more blue (same for rivers).
Resources and mines look a little bit bright.
And several other things.
Old August 7, 2002, 17:57   #48
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
From GameSpot
As for those who play by e-mail, a new administrative feature has been added so that players who don't respond after a certain amount of time can have their civilization controlled by the computer, or a different player can take it over entirely.
YES!!!

Quote:
From GameSpot
Firaxis already has a few new units built specifically for the editor, including World War II units and a few cool-looking dinosaur units
All I've been thinking since I saw those dinosaur pics has been Dinosaur Barbarians
Old August 7, 2002, 18:00   #49
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by player1
Is that only me, or there is an different tile-set in those screenshots?

Ocean water is more blue (same for rivers).
Resources and mines look a little bit bright.
And several other things.
I noticed that too. I like the changes.
Old August 7, 2002, 18:24   #50
stankarp
staff
Age of Nations Team

Dont see any sign of stack combat. Over 50% of respondents to the poll wanted stack combat.

I hope the domestic advicor screen has been revamped so it is useful.
Old August 7, 2002, 19:29   #51
David Murray
Prince

Hopefully the inclusion of "Arabs" will mean fundamentalism has found its way back into the game!

Imagine it...the fundamentalist Arabs against the "peace-loving" Americans in Civ3! I would gladly pay $100 for the expansion just to see that!
Old August 7, 2002, 20:13   #52
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Fundamentalism won't be included in the game (although Spain will be in). Khmers and Incas won't either.
They have few months to finish all pending things (teaching the AI to handle new features such as radars, making various editor tweaks, maybe implementing some small features), and they won't add anything big now. Besides, they'll want to keep some good civs for the next exapnsion IMO

I don't think there will be stacked combat : otherwise, Firaxians would have boasted abnout it during previous chats.
They revamp the foreign screen, to see active trades conveniently.

Player1 : I also noticed cattle now looks like elks (or is it another animal ?). I think it's the European tileset they were talking about.
Old August 7, 2002, 20:41   #53
MqsTout
Chieftain

Did anyone notice that the game creation screen only had 7 slots for computer players to go against? Did they remove the wonderful feature of loading up the map with all of them (was it 16?)? If they did, shame on them!
Old August 7, 2002, 22:04   #54
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 06:39
Well, if that's an MP game I know I'd love to start next to the Celts All those big cities building wonders, ripe for the taking.. mmm *drools all over mousemat*
Old August 7, 2002, 22:35   #55
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo
NO INCA!!!!

I disagree (it sounds a bit primitive, uga uga! )

EDIT (1) : But, what about of include a SECRET civ, for example, press CTRL + ALT + I in the start screen and the incans are here! Could be a nice feature/eastern egg . Is a bit videoconsole-like idea, but I believe that is great.

EDIT (2) : Some celtic city names are incorrect, I believe that should be in a Celtic phonetical similar name. Also, include some of Ireland / Wales / Scotland / Isle of Man / Cornwall / Britonia / Galiza like "Baile Atha Cliath" (Dublin) or "Caerdydd" (Cardiff).
There is no way there would be Iroquis and NOT Incans.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old August 7, 2002, 22:48   #56
dnassman
Warlord

Local Time: 15:39
Eli
No comment to you "Arab shmarabs" post as I know a flame war would start.

Any reason why you have the Australian flag being thrown up on and saying "fighting Australian occupation"?
Old August 8, 2002, 00:08   #57
statusperfect
King

BTW... Has noone noticed the new unit in the lower left of screen 23...? and DON'T YOU DARE to say it's a medieval infantry, when you take a closer look it's not. Maybe Carthage?
Old August 8, 2002, 01:48   #58
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Mqstout - how many computer civs you can choose depends on the mapsize you select.
Old August 8, 2002, 04:42   #59
hagen
Settler

Local Time: 06:39
Turks
Somebody asked why are Ottomans in instead of Turks. Let me tell you a secret: Ottomans are Turks. But not the only one. There are many Turk nations, Ottomans (or Osmans) are one of them. They were emerged in Anatolia in the 13th-14th century and created an empire pretty fast. Around the 1450s they captured Byzantine, destroying the last remnants of the Roman Empire.

Centuries before that, Seldjuk Turks were the biggest "bad guy" in that area, well at least for the troubled Eastern Roman Empire. But they have no connection with Otttomans.

So including a Turk civ could be similar to including a Slav civ instead of Russians (and/or Polish, Serbs, Ukrans, Czechs, Croatians, Bulgarians, etc.).

Hope it helps. Any question?
Old August 8, 2002, 06:17   #60
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Someone mentioned that it won't be stacks, but this is what I found on GameSpot:

Quote:
You can also stack units so that they all move at the same speed and in the same direction, which is helpful for escorting weaker units, like settlers.
Sounds lovely!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!