Old August 7, 2002, 00:15   #1
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Chiron Democratic Coalition
The Chiron Democratic Coalition is an attempt to create a powerful political force amongst political parties which share similar views and to ensure that our voices are heard in the government of this planet. The CDC will work to bring peace, democracy, equality, and freedom to Chiron. We are also dedicated to research in the hopes of bettering the human condition.

In order to help bring about cooperation amongst different parties, the Coalition planning council (so far consisting of me) wishes to initiate dialogue between parties in the hope that they will join the Coalition and work towards our mutual goal together.

Coalition members will agree on candidates who they will support during elections from the member parties in order to prevent vote splitting and in order to ensure that our view is represented.

In the hopes of furthering democracy I encourage each party to vote on joining the Coalition, I myself being a member of the Liberal Social Democratic Party have already asked that my party vote on joining the Coalition (though I’m certain the CDC will receive backing from the Liberal Social Democrats). The coalition has also received word from Darkness' Edge of the Centauri Democrats that he will back the joining of the CD to the Coalition.

--Academician Voltaire--
Old August 7, 2002, 01:02   #2
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 16:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I support this...as of now, the Centauri Democrats are officially members of the Chiron Democratic Coalition.

As part of this, I hope my bid for commissioner will be supported.
Old August 7, 2002, 01:35   #3
Juliennew
Warlord

Local Time: 06:39
This point hasn't been debated between P4 members yet but I support a such initiative.
(RP off : It will make a very powerfull coalition as I think only the fundamentalist faction and the hawks won't join)
Old August 7, 2002, 02:25   #4
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

having p4 on board would be great, but it would leave both commissioner candidates in the same faction
Old August 7, 2002, 02:33   #5
Emvepe
Settler

Local Time: 05:39
Count me out!
Old August 7, 2002, 02:34   #6
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Quote:
having p4 on board would be great, but it would leave both commissioner candidates in the same faction
I’m certain some sort of arrangement could be worked out that is satisfactory to all members. Besides, this things has just gotten started, we’ll have time to sort these things out when it’s fully underway.
Old August 7, 2002, 02:47   #7
Darkness' Edge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Voltaire
I’m certain some sort of arrangement could be worked out that is satisfactory to all members. Besides, this things has just gotten started, we’ll have time to sort these things out when it’s fully underway.
sounds acceptable to me
Old August 7, 2002, 03:56   #8
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 05:39
Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
Quote:
The CDC will work to bring peace, democracy, equality, and freedom to Chiron. We are also dedicated to research in the hopes of bettering the human condition.
The CCCP will stand wherever Peace, Democracy, Equality, Freedom and Fraternity has to be defended. Count us in this CDC.
Old August 7, 2002, 04:10   #9
Darkness' Edge
Prince

Great to have you on board!
Old August 7, 2002, 06:39   #10
Darkness' Edge
Prince

with the clash for the position of commissioner, what are we gonna do...?

i'm going away tommorrow, and i won't be back until tuesday, probably not having access to a computer until then...so this'd better be worked out within the next 12 hours or so...

what do you wanna do, dbts?
any other opinions?
Old August 7, 2002, 07:50   #11
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:39
Hmm. It seems like we're already growing towards a two-party system.

Juliennew, are you sure you want to support this? Not only will it unite almost all large parties in one coalition, which is boring, it will also make it unlikely that we can go free market.
Old August 7, 2002, 10:10   #12
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 01:39
what, parties joining this instead of ACE? i ask you to reconsider, to just look at the Apolyton Coalition for Expansion- the FIRST SMAC coalition, the BEST SMAC coalition, the ORIGINAL SMAC coalition.

ACE wants nothing but good relations with the CDC (not the center for disease control, but the coalition)
Old August 7, 2002, 10:27   #13
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:39
Cow Dung Custard
Old August 7, 2002, 11:08   #14
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

is a coaliton temporal or permanent alliance between parties?
Old August 7, 2002, 11:32   #15
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:39
which parties have joined this so far? CD, LSD and CCCP?

EDIT: i checked the party member count thread.
Old August 7, 2002, 11:47   #16
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 23:39
What are the goals of this coalition... I may be able to convince my fellow party members that this coalition is a good thing, however I'd first like to know if this coalition has any set goals in mind.

Exploration and Expansion are the EDP ways (knowledge is giving, for as one expands and learns more of the world, one learns more of pure knowledge as well.)

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old August 7, 2002, 11:51   #17
jdd2007
NationStates
King

edit: never mind. that hurt my eyes anyway...

Last edited by jdd2007; August 7, 2002 at 11:59.
Old August 7, 2002, 11:52   #18
jdd2007
NationStates
King

if this keeps up, we will have one mega-coalition with 3 candidates for every position, and ACE, with a few hawks and some muttering fundies, with 1 candidate (for 1 position)
Old August 7, 2002, 11:55   #19
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 23:39
jdd2007... check the EDP thread for my question toward you... I was asking this coalition about what they stand for.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old August 7, 2002, 16:19   #20
Voltaire
King

Well I’m back so I’ll see if I can answers all your questions.

Quote:
with the clash for the position of commissioner, what are we gonna do...?
Elections aren’t yet around the corner, so there is time to sort this out. My personally thoughts on this were to agree on the backing of one candidate for commissioner and the others can come to some agreement as to what posts they would desire therefore all the candidates would be assured a position in the government. This process could be done every election thus ensuring that all parties in the Coalition as some point in time get the opportunity to see one of their own as commissioner.

This is just my idea, anyone feel free to contribute their own thoughts into this.

Quote:
Hmm. It seems like we're already growing towards a two-party system.
I also want to avoid this; personally I’m not in favor of a two party system. What I think I’m trying to accomplish here is to bring some level of cooperation between the parties in order to secure power seeing as none of us alone are large enough to do it ourselves. This is just the natural process of multi-party systems.

Also it’s not as though we agree on every little detail, there will of course be competitions among ourselves, and problems will arise. I’m not expecting this to go smoothly or to last forever.

Quote:
is a coaliton temporal or permanent alliance between parties?
That really depends; it isn’t up to me but rather to the parties that join, so I really don’t know how far this will go or how long it will last. But I don’t expect it to be permanent seeing as we’re right will be only dealing with the early stages of colonization, I expect thing to develop which may lead to the disintegration of the coalition in mid to late game.

Quote:
What are the goals of this coalition... I may be able to convince my fellow party members that this coalition is a good thing, however I'd first like to know if this coalition has any set goals in mind.
The Coalition does have certain principles and goals which we wish to maintain:

1) Peace (we do not wish to actively seek war, but we will be prepared to defend ourselves);
2) Equality, Freedom, and Democracy; (I grouped these as one since they are all interrelated; we wish to maintain the principles of democracy on planet);
3) Betterment of the human condition (we also seek to improve the lives all people, thought all means, and particularly research and applications which it brings).

We all have these principles in common, though our exact means of achieving these goals may differ, at least we can cooperate on the things we agree upon and perhaps some to some compromises. The main differences I see between the parties who have joined, and even those who are considering joining are what economic models we should run, and what future societies we should have (though here the argument mainly is between Eudaimonia and Cybernetic, and both have their virtues). I’m not certain but I do believe that most of the parties see the value of Knowledge as a SE choice, so our argument comes down to economics and future societies (the later being a non-issue as this point in time).
Old August 7, 2002, 16:45   #21
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
The CDC is an interesting enterprise indeed. However, I will have to remind you that there are only some parties we can accept to the CDC, if we are to remain promoting our party's ideals. Of course, we might have to relinquish some to gain on the others, but principles are always principles, and I do hope that the CDC won't support Free Market unless it is absolutely necessary for the existence of the nation.

Kass / LSD

PS. Also, I do find it stressing that we are moving towards a two-party system, and wish that this current trend be halted before that happens. Diversity is relevant.
Old August 7, 2002, 16:53   #22
Voltaire
King

Quote:
The CDC is an interesting enterprise indeed. However, I will have to remind you that there are only some parties we can accept to the CDC, if we are to remain promoting our party's ideals. Of course, we might have to relinquish some to gain on the others, but principles are always principles, and I do hope that the CDC won't support Free Market unless it is absolutely necessary for the existence of the nation.
Kass, it looks at though the P4 is already plotting against the CDC (take a look at the P4 political thread), and they’re not going to join. So it doesn’t look as though we’ll be supporting Free Market (seeing as all other members including ourselves are opposed to it). The P4 has already been discussing an alliance with the Capitalist Party in order to counter our influence.

And seeing as the CDC stands for democracy, I put fort the proposition that any further members that wish to join the CDC be approved by the current members before acceptance. This will insure that the principles which we stand for are maintained.

Quote:
PS. Also, I do find it stressing that we are moving towards a two-party system, and wish that this current trend be halted before that happens. Diversity is relevant.
I agree, and initially if you take a look at our party thread, though I was in favor of cooperation I wasn’t in favor of a coalition. But the increasing power of the P4 (at 5 members) needed to be counterbalanced. So from the looks of it we now have 3 forces vying for power: the CDC, the ACE, and the P4.

Last edited by Voltaire; August 7, 2002 at 17:11.
Old August 7, 2002, 16:57   #23
Voltaire
King

Taking a look at the vote counts for the first commissioned it looks as though the P4 is in the lead (by 1 vote), I hope that the CDC members will back Darkness' Edge.
Old August 7, 2002, 17:13   #24
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Well this is an interesting turn indeed; so we'd have the Democrats (us), the Capitalists (Capital party and possibly P4), ACE, the rest.
Old August 7, 2002, 17:19   #25
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Why don't you call us Builders? "Capitalists" has some negative sound in my ears.
Old August 7, 2002, 17:22   #26
Voltaire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia
Well this is an interesting turn indeed; so we'd have the Democrats (us), the Capitalists (Capital party and possibly P4), ACE, the rest.
And if the P4 and the Capital Party join forces they’ll be as strong as we currently are (at 7 members each). I believe we need to attract more members to our respective parties and to encourage independents who share our ideals to join the CDC.

But onto another point, as mentioned earlier members to the CDC need to resolve the problem of who we shall back in elections. Therefore I think it best if everyone would declare their intentions to run and for what positions in this thread.

So to get the ball rolling I would like to announce to the CDC my intentions to run for the position of Director of Research / Commissioner for Science and Technology (or whatever they decide the name will be). And I would ask for support form the CDC membership. And to show that I am qualified and dedicated to the position, I originally started the Da Vinci Development party (the only party dedicated to strictly research), and later decided on merging with the LSD since our goals were similar in order to strengthen my bid for the position.
Old August 7, 2002, 17:24   #27
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Well Builders it is then. It was merely a moniker I came up since I lacked anything else. But is that not just shrouding the truth?
Old August 7, 2002, 17:36   #28
Maniac

Mr. President would probably prefer "Capitalist", but I and hopefully the P4 members as well am not a hard-core right-wing capitalist. I advocate a more moderate form of free market, one with social corrections. This is represented by the fact that I prefer Knowledge-Eudamonic and that my agenda is equal chances and free education, under a free market system that is. Thus we combine the best of the two extremes: the economic growth of right-wing capitalists and the human potential development of left-wing policies.

So really, my vision of P4 has large similarities with the Social-Democracy of LSD.
Old August 7, 2002, 17:39   #29
Voltaire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by M@ni@c
Mr. President would probably prefer "Capitalist", but I and hopefully the P4 members as well am not a hard-core right-wing capitalist. I advocate a more moderate form of free market, one with social corrections. This is represented by the fact that I prefer Knowledge-Eudamonic and that my agenda is equal chances and free education, under a free market system that is. Thus we combine the best of the two extremes: the economic growth of right-wing capitalists and the human potential development of left-wing policies.

So really, my vision of P4 has large similarities with the Social-Democracy of LSD.
So why not join the CDC is we’re so alike?
Old August 7, 2002, 17:46   #30
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
So why not join the CDC is we’re so alike?
Ah, but we aren't alike enough, since CDC is environmentalist.