View Poll Results: What should be the method of choosing Alpha Talen (Vice Commissioner)?
Runner-up of the Commissioner elections 19 65.52%
Commissioner chooses 4 13.79%
Second election 5 17.24%
Something else 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 7, 2002, 08:22   #1
Leland
Prince

Local Time: 07:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How to pick Alpha Talent?
I personally think that Alpha Talent should be the runner-up of the commissioner election... this way there will probably be more candidates and the political situation won't degenerate into a boring two-party system so easily.
Old August 7, 2002, 08:31   #2
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

For guys like me who didn't understand the runner-up term. It just means that the guy with the second most votes in the Commissioner elections will become Alpha Talent? I'm right this time, no??
Old August 7, 2002, 08:37   #3
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 16:40
leland, you have my support...

and yeah, you're right, m@ni@c..
Old August 7, 2002, 09:35   #4
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Runner-Up is fine with me.
Old August 7, 2002, 21:27   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:40
I say second election.

What if there are two candidates. One candidate is experienced, nice, and all that. the other one has had one post, and hasn't posted ever since he nominated himself. Candidate 1 obviously wins, but then candidate 2 becomes Vice-Pres?
Old August 7, 2002, 21:32   #6
Leland
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
What if there are two candidates. One candidate is experienced, nice, and all that. the other one has had one post, and hasn't posted ever since he nominated himself. Candidate 1 obviously wins, but then candidate 2 becomes Vice-Pres?
Yup. That's the punishment of only nominating one serious candidate. In this case, the party/coalition who nominated the competent one made a mistake because they could've easily had two candidates and still beaten the grossly inadequate person.
Old August 7, 2002, 21:33   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Leland

Yup. That's the punishment of only nominating one serious candidate. In this case, the party/coalition who nominated the competent one made a mistake because they could've easily had two candidates and still beaten the grossly inadequate person.
Well all it takes is one perosn to nominate themselves. What if nobody else wanted the position?
Old August 7, 2002, 21:43   #8
Leland
Prince

Quote:
Well all it takes is one perosn to nominate themselves. What if nobody else wanted the position?
We'd be in a really sad state if only two people wanted to be Commissioner. Besides if the Commissioner does his job then the Alpha Talent doesn't much concrete power anyway, so I'm not afraid of sub-optimal candidates mucking up the game.
Old August 7, 2002, 21:46   #9
Nubclear

Quote:

We'd be in a really sad state if only two people wanted to be Commissioner. Besides if the Commissioner does his job then the Alpha Talent doesn't much concrete power anyway, so I'm not afraid of sub-optimal candidates mucking up the game.
And if the commisoner has to resign for any reason? Resignations seem to be commonplace in the Civ3 Demo Game.

Quote:
"You can't spell FUNDIE without FUN!"
Old August 7, 2002, 22:07   #10
Leland
Prince

Quote:
And if the commisoner has to resign for any reason? Resignations seem to be commonplace in the Civ3 Demo Game.
First of all I doubt that the chances of both Commissioner and Alpha Talent being slackers is very likely, after all they were the two that got most votes. I think that if this becomes a problem someday (which I don't think it will, unless the game becomes very boring and people lose interest), we can deal with it then by amending the constitution with re-election clauses.
Old August 8, 2002, 02:57   #11
Nubclear

Quote:

First of all I doubt that the chances of both Commissioner and Alpha Talent being slackers is very likely,
Go check the civ3 demo game. Its falling apart What if the same siatuion happens here?

Quote:
after all they were the two that got most votes. I think that if this becomes a problem someday (which I don't think it will, unless the game becomes very boring and people lose interest), we can deal with it then by amending the constitution with re-election clauses.
SO if a problem comes up we will simply amend the consitution? Why not just deal with it now by holding seperate elections?
Old August 8, 2002, 03:18   #12
Leland
Prince

Quote:
SO if a problem comes up we will simply amend the consitution? Why not just deal with it now by holding seperate elections?
Because the separate election is not the problem, the problem is if people lose interest. If nobody gives a damn about who gets to be Commissioner, then one more election is not going to save us.
Old August 8, 2002, 03:20   #13
Nubclear

Quote:

Because the separate election is not the problem, the problem is if people lose interest. If nobody gives a damn about who gets to be Commissioner, then one more election is not going to save us.
Well, I personally enjoy watching people duke it out in the political arena Unless its like this, then I dont like it. (Oh, speaking of which, there is a possible preview of a future UNN edition)

BUt.....Whatever. If the people want the runner up to be the one, then so be it. I just think we should do second elections.
Old August 10, 2002, 00:38   #14
gopher
Warlord

Local Time: 01:40
Lets start it out with second place. Like the US did. Hell, if it dosent work out, we can always amend the charter, right?!

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old August 10, 2002, 01:06   #15
Zakharov VII
Warlord

Local Time: 21:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I say runner up, for a few reasons...

One, with a second election, it's very possible that the same party/coalition will win both. But what if the citizens (some of whom, I assume, will remain unaffiliated with any party, like me) then find out that this party/coalition that sounded so good just isn't working? Sure, you impeach the Comissioner, but I assume the Alpha-Talent takes over then, and things might not be much better...things could grind to a standstill if the Alpha-Talent-Comissioner is impeached, and a new election held. Then again, from what the Civ3 democracy games sound like, an occasional standstill doesn't seem to bad.

Two, I assume that, to some degree, when a Comissioner is impeached, the Alpha-Talent will get to play a few turns until a new Comissioner is elected (or would the Alpha-Talent finish up the Comissioner's term unless he himself is impeached? Just with a new elected Alpha-Talent?). With separate elections, it seems sometimes the Alpha-Talent may be more popular than the Comissioner, and thus the Comissioner could be impeached despite not really deserving it. But, with the Alpha-Talent as the Comissioner's main rival, the Comissioner's supporters would have to find a pretty good reason to turn to (presumably) a different political party for leadership. On the other hand, the Comissioner would be unlikely to change his platform, as that could "alienate" (heh) his supporters, causing a certain impeachment as both the supporters of the Alpha-Talent and the Comissioner's ex-supporters go against him.

And I totally agree with gopher. If it doesn't work, the people will pass an amendment .

Z
Old August 10, 2002, 05:38   #16
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 15:40
I think the Commissioner should choose the Alpha Talent, even though that has potential for horrifying abuse.
Old August 10, 2002, 07:57   #17
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
I think the Commissioner should choose the Alpha Talent, even though that has potential for horrifying abuse.
I say the Commissioner should choose the Alpha Talent, who must be confirmed by one of these Assemblies.
1. the Assembly of Party Members.
2. all the Citizens.
3. all the Directors, after their elections.
4. We create an assembly, something like the french National Assembly or the american Congress...

I'll post a new thread