View Poll Results: Who should be the first commissioner?
Crisler 13 36.11%
DeathByTheSword 11 30.56%
Darkness' Edge 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 7, 2002, 15:06   #1
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The First Commissioner
This is the official poll for commissioner. This poll will remain open for 3 days as dicussed. A second election will be held once the game begins. Good luck to all the candidates.
Old August 7, 2002, 18:18   #2
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 16:42
My vote is in.

Thanks for your support! Long live the CDC!
Old August 7, 2002, 18:48   #3
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 22:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
When will the elections end?
Old August 7, 2002, 18:50   #4
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:42
Ten August at 20.00 o'clock GMT is my best bet.
Old August 7, 2002, 19:54   #5
Leland
Prince

Perhaps the three candidates could post here what they stand for... specific goals for the first term, constitution, and whatever. There are bound to be some unaffiliated folks out there to whom all the three candidates are pretty much the same. Anyway, I want to ask the following questions to the candidates myself:

1. Do you consider yourself to be a strong leader and take initiative? How much do you anticipate your own opinions to affect the constitution?

2. What do you think are the responsibilities and powers of Commissioner / Alpha Talent?

3. When does the game begin?

4. When are the directorate elections to be held?
Old August 7, 2002, 19:55   #6
Anodyne
Prince

My vote in, too...
Old August 7, 2002, 20:31   #7
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 16:42
1. Do you consider yourself to be a strong leader and take initiative?

When it is necessary. However, I believe in leaving as much of the decision-making to the people as possible, as otherwise, a democracy game becomes boring.

How much do you anticipate your own opinions to affect the constitution?

Only as much as it takes to ensure lasting power for the people. I aim to prevent directors having too much power of the game, and I stand for people being kept in the decision-making process, at every step of the way.

2. What do you think are the responsibilities and powers of Commissioner / Alpha Talent?

To play the game, according to the wishes of the people.
However, because this is the first Commissioner, they will also have to get the game started, run the first elections, and get things on track.

September 1

ASAP. If I'm elected, I'll put out a call for nominations on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old August 7, 2002, 21:21   #8
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkness' Edge

ASAP. If I'm elected, I'll put out a call for nominations on Tuesday or Wednesday.
i thought we'd agreed to 24 hours after every position had 1 candidate?
Old August 7, 2002, 21:27   #9
Leland
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
i thought we'd agreed to 24 hours after every position had 1 candidate?
You suggested it, but I'm not sure if anyone actually agreed. Besides the positions themselves have been shifting too much recently.
Old August 7, 2002, 21:33   #10
Method
Emperor

Quote:
discussed by TKG and Ade
[TKG]How about 24 hours after every position has at least one candidate?

[Ade]Yes, that might be appropriate. Or we might wait till every position has two, provided that it doesn't take ages.
Old August 7, 2002, 21:33   #11
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Leland

You suggested it, but I'm not sure if anyone actually agreed. Besides the positions themselves have been shifting too much recently.
Well why don’t we get the elections for some positions which are set in place (i.e. Science, Foreign Affairs, etc.) out of the way now seeing as I believe we have more than enough candidates for the positions and it would speed things up?
Old August 7, 2002, 21:41   #12
Leland
Prince

I think it's better to have all the elections at once. Much less confusing, and I don't think we're in any hurry because the Commissioner has to work out the procedures and all that stuff anyway before there's anything for the Directorate to do.

As for setting the deadline based on how fast the positions fill in, I beg to differ. It is better to have a clear deadline set in advance, in this case I propose that we ignore the current nomination thread altogether and let the Commissioner organize the real nominations and elections.
Old August 7, 2002, 21:43   #13
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:42
Isn't it a little early to have this election.....?
Old August 7, 2002, 21:44   #14
Method
Emperor

no, we need to get the commish in place first, so he can plan and organise
Old August 7, 2002, 21:44   #15
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
no, we need to get the commish in place first, so he can plan and organise
The game began only a few days ago, I really think we should get more organized BEFORE having elections.
Old August 7, 2002, 21:54   #16
Method
Emperor

what more is there to organise?
Old August 7, 2002, 22:19   #17
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:42
1. Do you consider yourself a strong leader?

Yes I do, I have held leadership positions in all that I have done, through school, the military, gaming groups and even into business. I work well at organizing others and getting a team motivated and on target to the job at hand.

My opinions will work toward a Constituation that is fairly simple but very straight forward. Nothing fancy is needed, just something that gets to the point.

2. What do you think are the responsabilities of the Commisioner?

The role of the Commissioner in this case is one of a servant more than a leader. The Commissioner is responsable for taking the ideas of the group and turning them into actions in the game. His role is also to listen to all the opinions offered and help consolidate them them into a do-able action.

The game has already begun. half the fun of any game is the atmospher it can create. The current dialog has create the beginning of this atmosphere. The actual play of the scenaro is scheduled for Sept 1st but the FUN and thus the game is already with us.

I agree with my opponent. We should get the nominations done quickly and actually be able to start the vote for the other positions by next Wednesday or Thursday.

E.L. Crisler
Fundamentalist Faction
Old August 7, 2002, 22:27   #18
Leland
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
The game began only a few days ago, I really think we should get more organized BEFORE having elections.
Well, that's what the Commissioner does... he makes sure that things do get organized in a.. uhm.. organized fashion. Of course we could just mumble with each other for a while in anarchy and come up with some crappy rules, but I think it's much more in the spirit of the game if we democratically elect someone to take care of this process.

On the other hand, I think that we're not in a hurry to have the Directorate elections anytime soon... what're they supposed to do before planetfall anyway? Perhaps during the first term we don't even need directors.
Old August 7, 2002, 22:33   #19
Juliennew
Warlord

Local Time: 06:42
Quote:
Perhaps during the first term we don't even need directors
I don't think we need Directors before the 1st of september. We can do the elections but the term shouldn't begin to count before the game begins.
Old August 7, 2002, 22:36   #20
Method
Emperor

we will hold another election for commissioner before the game starts though.
Old August 7, 2002, 23:39   #21
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 01:42
NO NEED FOR HAVING THE ELECTION SO SOON!

cant we wait at least a few days?
Old August 8, 2002, 02:55   #22
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Leland

Well, that's what the Commissioner does... he makes sure that things do get organized in a.. uhm.. organized fashion. Of course we could just mumble with each other for a while in anarchy and come up with some crappy rules, but I think it's much more in the spirit of the game if we democratically elect someone to take care of this process.

On the other hand, I think that we're not in a hurry to have the Directorate elections anytime soon... what're they supposed to do before planetfall anyway? Perhaps during the first term we don't even need directors.
well, a lot can happen between now and later. I'm pretty sure all these people whom are up for election are qualified to help us, however we do not need to give them an official title.

Lets hold off for now.
Old August 8, 2002, 03:58   #23
Wojit
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:42
I agree with the Hold Off For Now motion
It's way too soon for Commissioner elections. Not everything is organised, and by the time it is there will probably be more candidates.
Old August 8, 2002, 11:22   #24
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
This is way too early for a commissioner vote, guys.

Especially since a lot of the parties and coalitions aren't even finished with their planning.

Once that happens there will no doubt be more canidates... to do it now just gives too much power to the future incumbant.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old August 8, 2002, 13:09   #25
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

my opininion:

1. I believe that if the people want to hear a direct and not radical commissioner then they need to vote on me. I am flexible but stand behind my believes...I think I can get this game on the road in the right direction.

2. I think the commissioner has the job to play the game and responed to any sudden change in our or The AI`s tactics. I believe the alpha-talent will help the commissioner to get the opinion of the people. and pitchin when the commmissioner is gone

3. we will make planetfall begin september

4.the directorate election will be held as soon as possible (within a week of the election of the commissioner) so that they can get there act together

Death By the Sword
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 8, 2002, 14:48   #26
Nubclear

So....If I may ask, what is going on with this poll? Are we having the election, or are we not?
Old August 8, 2002, 14:51   #27
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

yes is it going or did we stop and will hold the poll in a few days?
Old August 8, 2002, 15:00   #28
DeathByTheSword
King

cant this be topped or something?
Old August 8, 2002, 15:43   #29
Voltaire
King

Wow, this race is very close; and also I think now would be a good time to address the issue of if we choose the Alpha Talent as the runner up for Commissioner, what happens in a case of a draw?
Old August 8, 2002, 15:45   #30
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

If there is draw, why don't we just let the High Commissioner choose? I still prefer that option over another election.