Old August 7, 2002, 18:06   #1
Propaganda
Warlord

Local Time: 22:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
FIRAXIS: Ideas. Please read.
Hello, all.

I've been pondering on how to improve the political aspect of Civ III. I feel that with my ideas, it could make the game much more realistic, and give it a little aesthetic bonus. My ideas are as follows:

Elections - Depending on government type, every alloted number of terms, the leader you are playing as will either pass away, or his term will expire. If you're in a Democracy, for example, your leader will have maybe 10 turns before his term passes, and a new leader is presented. If you're Communist, then, say, every 50-60 turns, a new leader will head the government. When a new leader is elected, or has come to power within his Party, a number of citizens within your empire will become happy. You must keep these citizens happy, or risk impeachment(I will describe this later on). Once you're elcted, you also have the choice to rename your empire(later on that) and change your government. Changing governments will be risky, as certain productive, content cities will rebel, and will attack you with their units.(This will penalize players who love to switch governments quickly during wars.) To explain this more, I'll give you an example. Say, you're Communist and your cities are productive and relatively content. If you decide to turn to another government, you will have to risk a civil war with those cities as they will want to return to their old ways.(This happens only during the Anarchy period, and until you destroy the rebel forces, you cannot switch to your preferred government.) If you beat the rebel forces out, you can switch to your government(those cities that were crushed will become unhappy, so you will need to do everything you can to make as productive as they were.), but if you lose, you are abdicated, and the people will select a new leader(still being you) under their old government type to run them. You are now forced to use this government for a fixed number of turns(50-60, or if in Democracy 10), after which you can try to flip governments again.

Impeachment - As you are elected, your duty is to keep national security and keep the people content. If you stray away from the people and not keep them pleased, they will fall into Civil Disorder. The more cities that fall, and as long as they are, under Civil Disorder, your approval points will drop, and you will be forced to resign. They will once again elect a new leader(which you will name; more on that later) and you will have to do this process once more. If you fail to meet standards after around 5 or something times, you lose the game.

Improving Government Strength - I feel that governments aren't as powerful as they should be. Whenever I play, I usually find at least one civ that shares the same government type as I do, but this civ usually becomes hostile towards me, and usually doesn't want to trade fairly for whatever reasons. I feel that each civ that shares the same government type as you should do everything in their power to trade and ally with you(that is, unless you have a terrible reputation). The shunned government that is set in the editor should be the most hated, and the civ that uses it, should be dealt with unfairly and dishonestly(unless, of course, they decide to trade..if they trade often with you, the civs' attitude should improve over time; these fair civs should be ones with low aggression levels).

Naming Leaders/Renaming Empires - The last bit in my essay. This will be relatively simple. After a fixed number of terms, a new leader is elected. You are ow able to name this leader and also have the ability to rename your empire. Furthermore, you are given the power to switch governments, for a few number of turns. If you dont switch after say 5 turns, you remain fixed in that government until the next term. If you do switch, and meet small backlash, you ae now given the ability to rename the empire under your new government type.(Strictly for aesthetic purposes )

To dwelve more into how leaders are elected, I'll cite an example. Say, you are in Democracy, and your term is up. A pop-up will "pop up" on your screen, and will say something to the affect of: "Your term has expired. Elections have occured, and a new President has been elected." Underneath this, you now have the ability to type the name of the leader, and play on. If you're Communist or a Despot, you are given a screen that says something like: "Comrade Breznhev has passed away. Elections within the Party have taken place, and a new Leader has risen to power." Now, you type a name. Other governments follow the same type of principle.

Well, that's my bag. Hope you enjoyed reading as I did typing( ) this. Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
Propaganda
Old August 7, 2002, 18:47   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
I'd like the option to rename your empire, say, after you advance an era. As for everything else, I think it would clutter up the game as it is now. But there's always Civ4...
Old August 7, 2002, 18:51   #3
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 05:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i want the diplomatic system from Imperium Galactica!

"Germany is making plans behind your back, i beleave it is best for you, our friends, to take action against them before they do against you!"

That would be cool
Old August 7, 2002, 19:20   #4
Propaganda
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
I'd like the option to rename your empire, say, after you advance an era. As for everything else, I think it would clutter up the game as it is now. But there's always Civ4...
Well, what I'm actually trying to accomplish with this is minimizing the war aspect of civ III. By going with this formula, you are now forced to deal with national problems, instead of just mobilizing for war constantly.
In my opinion, this makes the game more interesting, and will give you a challenge outside of war.
Old August 7, 2002, 19:34   #5
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 00:42
All these suggestions would be better than what we currently have. I'm for it.

BTW, why does a settler from "Russia" have a Soviet flag as an avatar?
Old August 7, 2002, 19:47   #6
Propaganda
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

BTW, why does a settler from "Russia" have a Soviet flag as an avatar?
Just showing a little nationalistic pride, and love for my former Motherland.

BTW, that's the Chinese flag, but it seems like a suitable replacement for the Soviet flag.

P.S. Are you, by any chance, Zuoave from the CF forums?
Old August 7, 2002, 20:26   #7
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 05:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
WOW!!! Coracle didn't say he hates culture flipping!!!

As far as the elections idea goes, I think your version of impeachment is done in the game via unhappiness and rioting: e.g. a Democratic government that keeps going to war will cause unhappiness in it's cities.

I'd much rather that international relations were reworked. Hazie has a good idea - in fact, IG2 has the best diplomacy model I've ever seen in a TBS.

Additionally, I think the diplomacy 'rules' should change with each age. In particular, global co-operation should be more important in the Modern Age. In RL today, only America and China would really contemplate taking military action by itself, and eve then they would be frowned upon by the international community. Coalition warfare is how conflicts are resolved these days. To a limited extent, this is borne out by Nationalism being available from the Industrial age on, but can anyone really say that the Civ3 diplomacy model works for modern times?

And then of course there's the old moan about how the UN should be like SMAC's Planetary Council, yadda yadda yadda. Which I agree with
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old August 7, 2002, 20:41   #8
Propaganda
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812

WOW!!! Coracle didn't say he hates culture flipping!!!

As far as the elections idea goes, I think your version of impeachment is done in the game via unhappiness and rioting: e.g. a Democratic government that keeps going to war will cause unhappiness in it's cities.

I'd much rather that international relations were reworked. Hazie has a good idea - in fact, IG2 has the best diplomacy model I've ever seen in a TBS.

Additionally, I think the diplomacy 'rules' should change with each age. In particular, global co-operation should be more important in the Modern Age. In RL today, only America and China would really contemplate taking military action by itself, and eve then they would be frowned upon by the international community. Coalition warfare is how conflicts are resolved these days. To a limited extent, this is borne out by Nationalism being available from the Industrial age on, but can anyone really say that the Civ3 diplomacy model works for modern times?

And then of course there's the old moan about how the UN should be like SMAC's Planetary Council, yadda yadda yadda. Which I agree with
The version of "impeachment" that is done in the game is not what I'm talking about. I feel the concept of impeachment should dwelve more into your nation's/empire's current well-being. It should be based on how healthy your economy is and the ammount of tax you impose on the people(or the "lack of luxury" rate).

BTW, I hope some of you read my emigration/immigration suggestion down at CivFanatics. If you haven't, do a search and tell me what you feel about the idea.

Also, on your gripe on the lack of diplomacy, I agree, but I won't get into that now. I'm saving that for another thread.
Old August 8, 2002, 10:47   #9
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 07:42
hi ,

, intresting

more of this

but can it be put in the game

have a nice day