View Poll Results: What is your opinion on turnchat?
Yes, we need turnchat 8 28.57%
No, we don't need turnchat 6 21.43%
I prefer turnthreads 8 28.57%
Abstain 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 7, 2002, 20:33   #1
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 16:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Turnchat poll
What's your opinion on turnchat?

I'm personally against it, because of the timezone issues, but I think it's important we find out what the broad consensus is.

You have three days.

Last edited by Darkness' Edge; August 7, 2002 at 20:39.
Old August 7, 2002, 20:54   #2
Juliennew
Warlord

Local Time: 06:43
Quote:
I'm personally against it, because of the timezone issues, but I think it's important we find out what the broad consensus is.
You musn't give your opinion in the first thread.
You broke the UN constitution !! Perm Ban !!

As I said before, the current constitution doesn't reflect my point of view on turnchats as I only made a more SMAC text. I'm for the power of polling so that a guideline emerge for the Directors and the Commissioner.
Old August 7, 2002, 21:16   #3
Leland
Prince

Local Time: 07:43
I voted "abstain" because I think that this should be left to the Commissioner... after all, that's the Commissioner's job, to take care that everything works out as smoothly as possible. Let's not tie his hands.
Old August 8, 2002, 02:39   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:43
Turnchats seem to be fun, but they can be trouble. I am voting against, but would be more than content with turnchats actually happening.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 8, 2002, 03:01   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Leland
I voted "abstain" because I think that this should be left to the Commissioner... after all, that's the Commissioner's job, to take care that everything works out as smoothly as possible. Let's not tie his hands.
No....The Commissioners job should just be to play the game and give advice and maybe hold an executive veto. Giving someone too much power is never a good thing, especially when this demo game is developing soo many political parties....I mean, party politics is already appearing in many things.

I'm for turnchats. Everything else is just too slow.
Old August 8, 2002, 03:26   #6
Leland
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
No....The Commissioners job should just be to play the game and give advice and maybe hold an executive veto. Giving someone too much power is never a good thing, especially when this demo game is developing soo many political parties....I mean, party politics is already appearing in many things.
The constitution does say that the Commissioner is responsible for consulting with the Directors. If he doesn't do that (either in turnchat or turnthread or private messages), then the people can impeach him. As simple as that. Besides, if the Commissioner has the power decide whether to host turnchats or not, he can make it a campaign issue. I think that'll be much more interesting, and even if the Commissioner would try to use his powers to advance party goals (for example organizing a turnchat when the foreign advisor is sleeping, so that he can improvise diplomacy) then it would only make for more political intrigue and scandals, all of which are fun things to have.

The only rule of democracy is that there are no rules!
Old August 8, 2002, 03:32   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Are we bound to disagree on everything!!??!

Quote:
The constitution does say that the Commissioner is responsible for consulting with the Directors. If he doesn't do that (either in turnchat or turnthread or private messages), then the people can impeach him. As simple as that. Besides, if the Commissioner has the power decide whether to host turnchats or not, he can make it a campaign issue.
Oh well. All I can say is "I disagree!" and vote. No amount of my whining is going to do any good. I think.

Quote:
then it would only make for more political intrigue and scandals, all of which are fun things to have.
Such things are not fun. This is one of the reasons I bairly go to the civ 3 demo game (well, my frequency is declining). The game has burnt down to political manuvering and making the other party look bad. Its boring.

(Do I make the Civ3 Demo Game sound just really aweful?)

Quote:
The only rule of democracy is that there are no rules!
Old August 8, 2002, 03:50   #8
Wojit
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
(Do I make the Civ3 Demo Game sound just really aweful?)
Yes
Yes you do

I got sick and/or tired of it myself.
Old August 8, 2002, 04:42   #9
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

I'm for continuing threads for each of the ministers where party leader or other minister can request certain actions, after that the minister may start a poll if he thinks its necessary, and everyone can vote in that.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old August 9, 2002, 07:25   #10
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:43
WTF? We are going to have turnchats? Those, err, us poor souls that live on the Eastern side of Greenwich will have problems.
Old August 9, 2002, 08:11   #11
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

I agree it will be terrible for us NOT americans
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 9, 2002, 09:15   #12
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

East-Greenwichers, don't worry! I think there are more East-Greenwichers than West-Greenwichers currently in the demo game. Don't act so slavely to our American colleagues! Besides, if there are turnchats, I suppose it would be the High Commissioner proposing a date and hour. If the Commissioner is European, I suppose the chat will be in the late evening, so Americans can follow in the early evening. Besides, I suppose many people here play game on their work, so they shouldn't have a problem following a chat on their work in the afternoon.
Old August 9, 2002, 11:17   #13
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:43
having turnchats anywhere between 15:00 and 20:00 GMT is fine by me here at GMT -5.
Old August 9, 2002, 11:31   #14
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 23:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Alternate between turnchats and turnthreads, or just do all turnthreads.

Aussie members (such as MWIA) are at a disadvantage with turnchats, since any time convenient to Euros or Yanks is bad for them (and any time good for them is bad for Euros and Yanks). With turnthreads, they can participate more.

As for turnchats, I could make it virtually any time during daylight hours-- as early as 6 AM EST and as late as 10 PM EST.
Old August 9, 2002, 21:35   #15
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 16:43
Well, I find these results pretty worrying.

It's going to make it much more difficult for many of us who aren't in America to participate.
Old August 9, 2002, 21:57   #16
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:43
i thought we went over that? its us that will have a problem, not you.
Old August 9, 2002, 21:57   #17
Leland
Prince

This is a blasphemous suggestion, but how about having both turnchats and turnthreads? If some members of the Directorate can't make it to the turnchat, that's their problem, and it's not as if turnchat is the only way to tell the commissioner what he should do (e.g. if the D of R tells in the turnthread "I want to research Social Psych", then it's no excuse for the Commissioner not to follow this if D of R cannot attend the chat).

Frankly, I don't see what the big problem is.
Old August 10, 2002, 07:57   #18
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Me neither. Let's have them all. A turnchat would be preferable with at least the directors present, but apart perhaps from the Foreign Affairs Director (in case an AI unexpectedly contacts us) I don't really see the absolute need for anyone else present.
Old August 10, 2002, 17:49   #19
gopher
Warlord

Local Time: 01:43
Turnchats are limited to those who live in the right timezone or have a certain time period off. The only way I would support this is if there were a public display and record of the entire turnchat.

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion