View Poll Results: Does the Explorer currently have a use? (Choose one of 1-3 and one of 4-5)
It's great for exploring the map. 11 10.28%
I use it to pillage during a war. 18 16.82%
It's totally useless!!! 38 35.51%
In PTW it should be available much earlier, then it would be more useful. 33 30.84%
It's perfect, don't change a thing! 7 6.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 19, 2002, 13:35   #31
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 23:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
I prefer looking at Britney Spears as opposed to actually listening to her.
Personally, I'd rather listen. Britney is the most (physically) overrated female I can think of ( along with Anna Kournikova). There's 20 girls I used to work with that look better than both of them.
Old August 19, 2002, 17:14   #32
candidgamera
Warlord

Local Time: 00:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Apologies in general for my rant and if anyone was offended (Texaspride) - not my normal style. Just thought the naysayers seemed awful militant. Different styles.

HD: kind of like fast caravans then.

Other things have done with them too:
Give them a defense strength of 1 and hp adjustment of 0, so with 2468 hit scheme veterans have 6 hp - enough to get away much of the time. Also make them airdroppable for another feature in the later game. Have them with 2 MP's and "all terrain as roads" per another poster as well.

other uses: useful mobile observer posts.

Probably find them more useful too because playing on big worlds
with only 5 total civs there's more to explore even with maptrading (the last driven by lategame drag of too many ai units - have tried increased unit maintenance and more civs yet).
Old August 21, 2002, 05:52   #33
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 07:45
hi ,

one intresting is to flag them "hidden nationality" , ....

yet then you need some units on the border , ....to keep theirs out , ...

have a nice day
Old August 21, 2002, 08:31   #34
Stuie
King

Local Time: 01:45
Quote:
Originally posted by candidgamera
Hadn't thought of that pushing map trading back - actually makes a lot of sense.
Try it; you'll like it. Having the map mostly covered well into the late Middle Era really makes you focus on your immediate neighbors more, it gives you more time to develop relations with said neighbors and have a "history" with them. Then along comes Astronomy and the rest of the world shows up - they feel more like outsiders. I wouldn't play the game any other way.

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather listen. Britney is the most (physically) overrated female I can think of ( along with Anna Kournikova). There's 20 girls I used to work with that look better than both of them.
Yeah, well, I enjoy looking at just about anything female. Hey, where did you use to work? Maybe I could stop by....
Old August 21, 2002, 17:04   #35
candidgamera
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
Try it; you'll like it. Having the map mostly covered well into the late Middle Era really makes you focus on your immediate neighbors more, it gives you more time to develop relations with said neighbors and have a "history" with them. Then along comes Astronomy and the rest of the world shows up - they feel more like outsiders. I wouldn't play the game any other way.
Anything to prolong the discovery period. One thing I really like another game Europa Universalis. Do really notice a difference in relations with newbies when they show verses the longtime neighbors?

BTW: used to live in Telford/Souderton - how's Landsdale area these days - even more crowded and heavy traffic I bet?
Old August 21, 2002, 17:44   #36
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Local Time: 23:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I didn't even know there is an explorer in the game but he is really useless as other units can explore the map also and they are more stable if they get attacked during the exploring-process. And in the end you want to conquer your opponents anyway so build military instead.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old August 21, 2002, 17:53   #37
statusperfect
King

Quote:
If you are Modding a scenario, then you can use the 'slot' taken by the explorer to create a new unit that doesn't exist in un-modded Civ3.
That's right!!!
Old August 21, 2002, 18:33   #38
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

at CFC there's an interesting text about strategies using the explorer: http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3acad_explorers.shtml

i personally don't use the explorer because it comes waaaaaay to late (never had a map where important land wasn't discovered by navigation)
Old August 22, 2002, 12:44   #39
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Galvatron
I didn't even know there is an explorer in the game but he is really useless as other units can explore the map also and they are more stable if they get attacked during the exploring-process. And in the end you want to conquer your opponents anyway so build military instead.
hi ,

the explorer has one large point , speed and distance , when used good he can stay out of trouble and explore the map so fast (!)

its also great to sent to other places very fast and to be disbanded there

its also great with a defense or attack rate of 1-2

have a nice day
Old August 26, 2002, 11:18   #40
Mannamagnus
Prince

Local Time: 06:45
You should be able to build the explorer from the beginning at four times the cost of a warrior. As it is now it's totaly useless.
Old August 26, 2002, 17:28   #41
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

with "hidden nationality" its a great unit to sneak around and capture workers , .....

the unit moves in and out so fast , the AI has no idea what hit him , ....

of course this means that the unit is under constant attack , but the speed is something formidable , ....

have a nice day
Old August 26, 2002, 18:20   #42
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 06:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Carver

I'd **** both of them. That's how desperate I am.
Old August 26, 2002, 20:44   #43
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 08:45
I don't think that you're desperate. Just human.

Remember people: Sex is something to enjoy , not to be ashamed of!

Old August 26, 2002, 22:00   #44
Switch
Prince

Also remember that it isn't something to be taken lightly, even with the uber-safe contraseptives (sp?) we have these days.

Back on topic: personally, I have never gotten to the point where I could build an explorer
Kinda like the guy on the GenCiv3 forums, I can't seem to get the "One more turn" feeling.....I could in SMAC/X, definitely, but I just can't seem to get even past the second era..... . I feel wrong, but I just can't.......

However, From what I've heard and from the use of my amazing brain, I can see usefulness in the Explorer. Use it as a fast mineral transport, or for spying on areas where your fog-of-war is covered. Perhaps moving back techwise or moving maptrading ahead could also help. And the hidden nationality might help it too, though perhaps it might be a bit uncharacteristic for the type of unit it is...
Old September 1, 2002, 15:54   #45
Xanthippe
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:45
I have taken both the Explorer and Scout out of my games. The Scout provides a civ with too much information too soon.

I have considered replacing these two with a 'conquistador' (e.g. Cortez, Pizarro, using the 'Explorer'), available with 'Navigation' which would be a military unit, weak but capable of taking on 'primitive' units and maybe faster than normal units.

Later the scientifically motivated and more peaceful 'Explorer' (e.g. Lewis and Clark, Burton, Dr Livingstone, using the 'Scout' ?), available with 'Nationalism' (originally I considered 'Scientific Method' but that would come too late).