Old August 9, 2002, 15:44   #1
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 21:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
List of UU thread
With the new screenshots, I have decided to make a list of UUs for PTW. I'm not going to add screenshots. If someone else wants to, they are welcome. I just don't have the time. As more info comes, I will add it to the section. Feel free to speculate/flame.

Vikings: Bezerker (?/?/?) Amphibious Assault Guess 5/2/1 Upgraded Medieval Infantry
Spanish: Conquistador (5/3/3) Upgraded ?
Mongols: Keshik (4/2/2) Upgraded ?
Korea: Hwatcha (?/?/?/?/?) Guess Replaces cannon, requires no saltpeter
Celts: Gaillic Swordsman (4/2/2) Upgraded Medieval Infantry
Arabs: ? (?/?/?) Upgraded ? Some sort of ninja?
Carthagenians: ? (?/?/?) Upgraded ?
Ottomans: ? (?/?/?) Upgraded ?

Last edited by Lawrence of Arabia; August 26, 2002 at 14:25.
Old August 9, 2002, 16:12   #2
GoodFella
Warlord

Local Time: 05:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm willing to bet the UU's for the three remaining civs from your original post will be:

Arabs: Mameluke, probably replaces knight
Carthagiians: Some kind of ancient elephant
Ottomans: Jannisery, probably replaces musketman
Old August 9, 2002, 21:50   #3
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Re: List of UU thread
Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
Vikings: Bezerker (?/?/?) Guess 5/2/1 Upgraded Medieval Infantry
I thought the Berzerker was an UU of the swordsman with anphibous, but I guess that MI makes sence too.

As for Carthage, I think it's safe to say that its some sort of elephant.
Old August 10, 2002, 05:44   #4
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 00:48
Quote:
Originally posted by GoodFella
I'm willing to bet the UU's for the three remaining civs from your original post will be:

Arabs: Mameluke, probably replaces knight
Carthagiians: Some kind of ancient elephant
Ottomans: Jannisery, probably replaces musketman
Mamelukes were, in reality, NOT Arabs. They were Circassians in the service of the ruler of Egypt.

Carthaginians should be a special swordsman.

It remains pathetic that Firaxis is calling a small group of thugs who never fought against another major power, the "Conquistadors". All they did was massacre native peoples and steal their gold, and then fight each other. Firaxis continues to make a mockery of History.
Old August 10, 2002, 10:52   #5
narmox
Warlord

And Coracle continues to make a mockery of himself.

Can't wait till he gets banned, like on civfanatics.
Old August 10, 2002, 23:20   #6
PMLF
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

It remains pathetic that Firaxis is calling a small group of thugs who never fought against another major power, the "Conquistadors". All they did was massacre native peoples and steal their gold, and then fight each other. Firaxis continues to make a mockery of History.
Actually, the "conquistadores" kind of military unit fought against the Moors during the "Reconquista". But they were not known as "conquistadores" at that time.

Last edited by PMLF; August 11, 2002 at 02:05.
Old August 11, 2002, 00:47   #7
GoodFella
Warlord

i know mamelukes weren't arabic, and I would like a tercio UU, I'm just putting down what I think is most likely to be released from Firaxis.
Old August 11, 2002, 05:33   #8
Coracle
Prince

OK, we both want the Tercio.

BTW, the Hwatcha. How can it REPLACE cannon when it was purely anti-personnel with no hitting power capable of knocking down walls? It also certainly did not have the same range either as a cannonball, be it solid shot or shell. Just add it to cannon.
Old August 11, 2002, 06:13   #9
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

Coracle is at fault here.

The mamelukes may have not been of arab origin but they served in the arab armies of the time.They were essentially a caste of warrior-slaves who gradually rose to power and even took control of Egypt.Mameluke Egypt had the strongest army of its time and it was with this army that the Mongol hordes were stopped and the remnants of the crusader states were driven out.They even fought against Napoleon.

The Carthaginian Elite Unit should be the "Sacred Band".
The Carthaginian army rellied solely on mercenaries of Lybian and later Spanish origin.However it possesed a permanent elite trained force of native Phoenicians soldiers called by the Greeks "The Sacred Band".
They had white feathers and shields and fought in a phalanx formation.
Old August 11, 2002, 13:02   #10
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
OK, we both want the Tercio.

BTW, the Hwatcha. How can it REPLACE cannon when it was purely anti-personnel with no hitting power capable of knocking down walls? It also certainly did not have the same range either as a cannonball, be it solid shot or shell. Just add it to cannon.
If you look at the FIRAXIS graphic which is on this site, you can see that the Hwacha is not launching arrows, but some sort of solid missle.

Hwacha
Old August 11, 2002, 13:12   #11
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 23:48
The Conquistadores were an excellent choice. They took back Spain from the Moors, and conquered vast portions of Southern and Central America (as well as Aztec-held Mexico), making it all the way up to the Mighty Mississip'.

Er...the Sacred Band was a regiment from Thebes in Greece, actually.
Old August 11, 2002, 14:44   #12
The Bloody Baro
Prince

Local Time: 01:48
Personally I think that the Carthagians should have a mercenary unit. It would require 2 gold to support and would be powerful. This a good idea that takes history in to account because the Carthagians relied heavly on merceniares.
Old August 11, 2002, 18:05   #13
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 07:48
Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
Er...the Sacred Band was a regiment from Thebes in Greece, actually.
Right. It was the most militant group of gays in history.
Old August 12, 2002, 06:07   #14
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

You are wrong History Guy

The "official" Sacred Band was indeed Theban.It formed the backbone of the Theban citizen army.

However as i wrote, this is how the Greeks called the Carthaginian elites.My ancestors had the habit of naming elite regiments in general "Sacred Band". A habit that remains still.(Sacred band In 1821,Sacred band in 1942).

Agathocles of Syrracouse in his Carthaginian Campaigns
faced the Sacred Band of Carthage numerous times, before finally decimating them at the Battle of Tunes in 310Bc.Even when General Hanno fell, these white dressed Carthaginian Elites refused to surrender and fell to a man.

As for the elephants which many are proposing,
these were not even used in the Punic wars(except the first one). During his famous cross of the Alps, Hannibal lost all his elephants but one, which he rode himself.
Old August 12, 2002, 12:22   #15
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 11:18
the idea of mercenaries for carthage sounds really good... I think they should have a low production cost... and should cost 2-3 gold per turn... whether or not the unit limit is reached.
Old August 12, 2002, 14:40   #16
Stuie
King

Local Time: 01:48
I'd like mercenaries to be included, but work slightly differently (and now I'll proceed to steal liberally from ideas being used in Medieval: Total War).

Mercenaries should be available in regions where ongoing conflicts are occurring. There could be a building pre-requisite for hiring mercs. However, they should not be "built", they should just be hanging around available for immediate hire and use. Their cost should be somewhat prohibitive: they should have a fixed price to hire in gold (such as gold equal to some fraction of the number of shields required to produce the same type of unit) and their upkeep should also be expensive (3 - 5 gpt). The type of mercs available in an area should be based on the average tech of civs in the area. (note that this would lead to situations in which you could actually hire mercs above your current capability to build if you were behind your neighbors in the tech race... )

Better yet, I'll just wait a couple weeks and play Medieval: Total War.
Old August 12, 2002, 15:51   #17
GoodFella
Warlord

Carthage will probably get an elephant UU, but hat I'd like to see is a Galley UU.
Old August 26, 2002, 15:24   #18
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Whats this ninja unit in the new avault picts?
Old August 26, 2002, 17:25   #19
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Wasn't there mention of a feudal Japan scenario?

This from the PtW article:

"We know people are going to want to do a WWII scenario, we know that there's interest in medieval Japan and in dinosaurs," says Morris, "what we wanted to do was liberate them from having to wait for the fan artists to create this content before started on (their own scenarios). So, we provided them with these unit sets that allow them to hit the ground running in these genres that we know they're interested in."
Old August 26, 2002, 18:46   #20
jsw363
Prince

Does anyone else think that its odd that certain civs should get UUs that should require resources. It's bizzare that one needs horses for cavalry, but you don't need ivory for a War Elephant.

It obviously isn't fair for a civ to have a UU that it might not be able to use because of the lack of a resource, but it also seems odd to include such units in the first place. If the Indians are stuck in the arctic tundra, why are they using War Elephants? If this isn't supposed to be a replay of history, you'd think that they could assign UUs to civs randomly based on starting locations, so that the Chinese might end up with Chariots instead of the Egyptians if they start in a drier area.

Any opinions on this?
Old August 26, 2002, 20:00   #21
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jsw363
Does anyone else think that its odd that certain civs should get UUs that should require resources. It's bizzare that one needs horses for cavalry, but you don't need ivory for a War Elephant.

It obviously isn't fair for a civ to have a UU that it might not be able to use because of the lack of a resource, but it also seems odd to include such units in the first place. If the Indians are stuck in the arctic tundra, why are they using War Elephants? If this isn't supposed to be a replay of history, you'd think that they could assign UUs to civs randomly based on starting locations, so that the Chinese might end up with Chariots instead of the Egyptians if they start in a drier area.

Any opinions on this?

if its on tundra, think of them as war mammoths.

I like the fact that there is some variety to the UU's. Granted, it takes luck (bad) to not have iron or horses, but it does happen, and if you happen to be the Indians, then you are lucky. Instead of getting an attack/defense/movement bonus, they are resource free, which makes them interesting to play as, less resource dependant than other civs.

It would be interesting to be randomly assigned a UU or given one dependant on initial terrain, and just figure it out when you receive a tech. But I think that would get old after awhile.
Old August 26, 2002, 22:14   #22
brianshapiro
Warlord

Keshik : treats hills as regular terrain for movement
Old August 27, 2002, 17:11   #23
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 07:48
Quote:
Whats this ninja unit in the new avault picts?
hi ,

maybe its an early start special force unit , ...

or its part of a mod or scenario , ....

here it is

have a nice day
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	civ3ptw10.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	23075  
Old August 27, 2002, 17:53   #24
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 06:48
Didn't Firaxis say that there's going to be a Japanese tile/unitset in PtW; or am I just thinking of the Roman and WWII ones?
Old August 28, 2002, 00:37   #25
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

No, there was mention made of it several different times.
Old August 28, 2002, 01:29   #26
N. Machiavelli
Prince

If so, then I think we found our Ninja/assassin spot.
Old August 28, 2002, 18:00   #27
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jsw363
Ivory is a luxury resource. That's not a reason for itself, but it would be odd for a whole resource to be only useable by one civ. In addition, seeding rules are different between different types of resource. Finally, the whole advantage of the elephant is that it requires no resources... if you change this, you will have to find another advantage for the elephant.

Quote:
This was and is the original idea against "predestined" UUs, ie why the English should not get a man of war if they start in the desert. Although more realistic, this would be harder to code... I agree with you and I agitated for this before release, but Firaxis chose not to do this.
Old August 28, 2002, 18:27   #28
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Wasn't there a CtP2 mod (medieval mod perhaps) wherein certain units were designated as UU, but were not initially bound to a specific civ. The first civ to discover the activating tech first would have a % chance of claiming that Unit as their own. If they succeed, then no other civ could build that unit and the successful civ could not gain another UU. If the civ failed, then the next civ to discover the tech would have a chance, and so on, until all civ's had discovered that tech.
Old August 29, 2002, 12:21   #29
kring
King

Re: List of UU thread
Quote:
With the new screenshots, I have decided to make a list of UUs for PTW. I'm not going to add screenshots. If someone else wants to, they are welcome. I just don't have the time. As more info comes, I will add it to the section. Feel free to speculate/flame.

Vikings: Bezerker (?/?/?) Amphibious Assault Guess 5/2/1 Upgraded Medieval Infantry
Spanish: Conquistador (5/3/3) Upgraded ?
Mongols: Keshik (4/2/2) Upgraded ?
Korea: Hwatcha (?/?/?/?/?) Guess Replaces cannon, requires no saltpeter
Celts: Gaillic Swordsman (4/2/2) Upgraded Medieval Infantry
Arabs: ? (?/?/?) Upgraded ? Some sort of ninja?
Carthagenians: ? (?/?/?) Upgraded ?
Ottomans: ? (?/?/?) Upgraded ?
This from PC.IGN, as reported at CivFanatics:

New Civs:

Quote:
Carthaginians: Commercial/Industrius, UU is Numidian Infantry, spearman with increased attack/defense and no special resources
Koreans: Commercial/Scientific, UU is Hwacha, cannon with increased bombard and requires less special resources
Mongols: Militaristic/Expansionist, UU is Keshik, cheaper Knight that requires less special resources
Vikings: Militaristic/Expansionist, UU is Berserk, Longbowman with increased attack, defense, AND amphibious attack
Spanish: Religious/Commercial, UU is Conquistador, weak, cheap, requires almost no special resources, treat all terrain as roads, and doesn't replace anything
Celts: Religious/Militaristic, UU is Gallic Swordsman, swordsman with faster movement
Arabs: Expansionist/Religious, UU is Ansar Warrior, replaces Knights, and are faster and cheaper
Turks: Industrial/Scientific, UU is Siphai, a better attacking Cavalry
The Viking UU is Berserk, not Berserker. Arabs is Ansar Warrior, Ottomans (listed as Turks) is Sipahi (misspelled in list); Carthage is Numidian Infantry (note Infantry and NOT Cav.)