Old August 13, 2002, 16:10   #61
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 01:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
As I initially said, I don't really care about the choice of language... I could name some other posters who can be a little difficult to decipher.

A while back, 1337 had suggested some interesting and valid strats, so when I saw this thread, what the heck??

And I was sort of having a bad hair day... so the boasting set me off like fireworks.

Since then, it's just been amusing...

And what the heck, a new challenge. I'm game.

(That said, I don;t imagine tiny pangaea as Romans can be all that hard, even on deity... naw, 1337, you still gotta try some of the others, like Alamo).
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 13, 2002, 16:16   #62
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 21:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
See if you can win without your immortals: hes referring to Aeson's iceberg, huge map, 16 civs deity,domination win which he knows he cannot replicate. So now he offers up his own game. If someone beats him, he WILL be the 1aphinst0ck uv ap01ee70n.
Old August 13, 2002, 16:23   #63
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

A coupla questions:

Conquest or domination?

Truly random opponents, or is cultural linking on?

You're on 1.29f?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old August 13, 2002, 17:00   #64
I-iZ-1337
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:50
Conquezt, with kulturalz linkzed ponentz. I iZ uZing 1337 1.29 patchez.

Arab33a d00dz, I iZ unabl33 t00 playz 0n h00g3 mapz, my 1337 h4xx0rz PCz iz t00 sl0wz.
Old August 13, 2002, 17:03   #65
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Doesn't sound like much of an elite hacker pc if it's too slow for huge maps!

At any rate, fortune smiles on you! As luck would have it, the Alamo scenario is on a standard map!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old August 13, 2002, 17:03   #66
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 00:50
Is Aeson going to be playing in this challenge.

Sell your photos
Old August 13, 2002, 17:09   #67
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 07:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Doesn't sound like much of an elite hacker pc if it's too slow for huge maps!

At any rate, fortune smiles on you! As luck would have it, the Alamo scenario is on a standard map!

-=Vel=-
I have problem with big maps too.
(large and greater)

But standard maps work fine (at 333Mhz Celeron, 64MB RAM).
Old August 13, 2002, 17:11   #68
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Oh, I know that huge maps can really bog a PC down, but they shouldn't even make an "elite hacker's PC" flinch....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old August 13, 2002, 17:20   #69
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

This guy reminds me of gollum. My comp cant handle anything over large. (400 mhz G4, 128 ram, OX9.0.2)
Old August 13, 2002, 20:47   #70
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 23:50
Anyone else notice something a bit 'off' about the save (challenge) posted? It's modded at least in one area. Tiny/Pangaea/Conquest games normally don't show much skill comparison anyways, but throwing in unannounced modifications on top of that...
Old August 13, 2002, 20:58   #71
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Hahahah. I knew it. I just didnt wanna say it cuz if it proved to be wrong, I would look like an ass. Can u be more specific, because I have a mac version and can't check.
Old August 13, 2002, 21:49   #72
I-iZ-1337
Chieftain

D00dz, it iz n0t m0ddedz thatz I knowz 0fz...

Evenz ifz itz iz, 0ne 0f j00 canz pozt a savez, samez settingz az th33 1337 d33it33 cha11engez, a11z th33 samez t00 m33.
Old August 13, 2002, 22:29   #73
Theseus
Emperor

I'm playing it now... what mod?

(Other than that I can't seem to generate GLs)

1337, conquest or domination?

Old August 13, 2002, 23:43   #74
I-iZ-1337
Chieftain

Conquezt.

It iz standardz .bic, n0 m0dz.
Old August 13, 2002, 23:59   #75
Aeson
Emperor

Well, no promotions whatsoever. After my first 20 or so military victories I was quite suspicious... Then a Vet Legionaire defended successfully against 3 warriors, no promotion to elite. There's supposed to be an automatic promotion anytime a unit wins two battles in the same turn.
Old August 14, 2002, 00:00   #76
Theseus
Emperor

Nice start, until you find out how close they are... I'm not used to deity... it sucks.

Any help here? What do the AI civs start with on deity?

Old August 14, 2002, 00:12   #77
Theseus
Emperor

X-posted with you, Aeson.

I'm getting promotions, although I can't comment on the 2x win promotes in one turn issue. Actually, I have sort of the opposite problem, as most of my Legions are elite, and I can't get a GL.

It's sort of a fun little map (I'm still in the very early game, but I said that on purpose... /Howard Cosell voice/ Tiiny pangaaaea, viewers, is NOOT, I reepeat, NOT, Naational League Football /end voice).

Old August 14, 2002, 00:19   #78
Aeson
Emperor

I guess my game is just bugged then, not a single promotion, even in circumstances where there would have to be one. My appologies for insinuating it was a mod.
Old August 14, 2002, 03:19   #79
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 06:50
It has a very good starting position and a weak neighbor civ, that is all what's needed for a nice pangaea game on Deity. I didn't see any unusual rules so far, even what concerns promotions. True, I have seen a vet legion losing its attack on a regular archer in the forest, but that's the usual die roll issue. I have a good amount of elite Legions. No leader so far, though.

But I can't play for a while now. We have a big flood here in Germany, and I must somehow "ship" my son to Dresden (drowned right now) in my car.
Old August 14, 2002, 08:32   #80
Theseus
Emperor

You need a Caravel.

Old August 14, 2002, 13:35   #81
Objectivist
Chieftain

Deity Win (Spoiler)
Well, I've done it, I've won a conquest victory on deity, and boy it is definatly difficult to do so when there is more then one continent. On Pangea maps you can constantly bully you opponents to keep them weaker then you and to get technologies from them. This isnt the case on this map. The ocean between you and Persia means that you have to either keep the Egtptians and Greeks around and in a somewhat decent condition so you can bully them periodically for techs, or you have to try to conquer the continent your on and go the builder approach. I did the latter, and it was VERY difficult keeping even remotely close to the comp. Corruption was quite high, and to make it worse I didnt get a great leader from crushing the Egyptians and Greeks, and that meant I had to actually BUILD a FP. Technologically, it was quite difficult keeping up with Persia even though I had more cities. In terms of Military technology I was able to keep somewhat close to Persia, but when it came to the the non-military techs I lagged far behind. Persia managed to take almost every single middle age wonder, and all of the Industrial wonders. So many in fact, that I was worried that the Persian capital might score a cultural victory. That however, did not come to pass as I was able to destroy their civilization, though it did take quite some time (espically since I didnt have cavalry or tanks!). Victory came in 1822 and I scored quite well (as you can see) but not as well as I could have done. I think I might go to where I saved it right before I crushed their remaining city and simply hem them in, while I tech and get sanitation and then proceed to the modern era so I can get some wonders and see just how high I can get my score. Anyway, if anyone has any questions on how I managed to do this feel free to ask. I'm going to enclose the save before I crushed their last city in t he post after this one so you can watch the replay if you want to. Hope you all enjoy it, talk to you later!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	deitywin1.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	22208  
Old August 14, 2002, 13:39   #82
Objectivist
Chieftain

Last turn....
Oh, I forgot to mention, I did get 2 Great Leaders, but they came much too late to do any good. I think The GL generation rate might be reduced on deity to make it even more difficult for the human player. Anyway here is the file I promised.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav aaafinalturndty.sav (83.0 KB, 5 views)
Old August 14, 2002, 15:45   #83
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 00:50
Excellent job Objectivist!

Did I read that screenshot correctly and see that you finished in 1622 AD ?
Old August 14, 2002, 15:59   #84
Edrix

Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
Excellent job Objectivist!

Did I read that screenshot correctly and see that you finished in 1622 AD ?
Looks more like 1822 to me, but it's still really damn good.

BTW, did I-iZ-1337 do this yet? Was he going to take part in this challenge?

Old August 14, 2002, 19:57   #85
Theseus
Emperor

Great job, Objectivist!!!!

1337, come out and pla-ay!!

Old August 14, 2002, 21:13   #86
Theseus
Emperor

Was da bad Cweo wady and da mean Waw Chawiots too ewite?

[Edit: Sorry, shouldn't have said that... tough day.]

Old August 16, 2002, 04:17   #87
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:50
Quote:
Originally posted by player1
It looks like this post confirmes Aeson reasoning.
I'm amazed that you can be bothered trying to decipher it, player1 - and others for whom english is not their first language. I can't be arsed - I'm just enjoying the comments of the humans on the forum. I wonder what future historians will make of all this d00dz stuff.
Old August 16, 2002, 06:51   #88
Barchan
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Cort Haus I wonder what future historians will make of all this d00dz stuff.
Probably the same think they'll make of Esperanto: Nothing.
Old August 16, 2002, 13:37   #89
Objectivist
Chieftain

How are the rest of you doing?
How are the rest of the deity games progressing, It would be nice to know how well I did compared to the rest of you. Feel free to post here or send me a message directly.
Old August 16, 2002, 19:01   #90
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 07:50
Re: How are the rest of you doing?
Quote:
Originally posted by Objectivist
How are the rest of the deity games progressing, It would be nice to know how well I did compared to the rest of you. Feel free to post here or send me a message directly.
Well, I conquered the Egypts, allright. They declared war very early when I refused their request for iron, and then it took a few millennias ( or what is it called in pluralis) to hurt them enough to give me all their tech for peace. I only used legions in masses. Was the use of legions regarded as a cheat by the the cryptic rules posted by 1337? Then, just a few turns later, Alexander wanted a Molotov-Ribbentrop pact to share Greece between us. That short and dirty little war was the easiest part of the game so far.

I got two or three leaders, can't remember exactly. At least one of them was killed, as he was generated by a weak defender that died on the next attack. Used one for a 3-elite legion army and one for a wonder (iIrr).

Now I don't dare to continue the game and attack the Greek, as I expect my Legions to be useless against 12-pop cities with 8 Hoplite defenders. And the distance to the Persians are just unbearable, especially as they probably will have infantry when I come with a few galleons full of knights. Good game, but it seems lost to me.