Old August 15, 2002, 19:19   #121
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ah the joys of repetitive drills. We just turned out our 10th warrior general. What was the time. 14:32. Not acceptable, we must get better. 12:00 is doable. Run the drill again.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:19   #122
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
MING?! In a Civ 3 forum?! You aren't actually getting interested in PTW are you?
To your first point... I am a mod for this forum... and to your second point, I can only answer, no comment
Old August 15, 2002, 19:21   #123
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

To your first point... I am a mod for this forum... and to your second point, I can only answer, no comment

I know your a mod, but if you aren't banning, you don't usually bother.

Of course, you DID mention Civ2 MP in your post.......
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 15, 2002, 19:21   #124
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 01:50
It's only because Ming is a bastard.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:23   #125
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

He sees me posting and figures the odds are pretty good this thread will at least have to be closed soon.

Right Ming?
Old August 15, 2002, 19:24   #126
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
He sees me posting and figures the odds are pretty good this thread will at least have to be closed soon.

Right Ming?

So do I actually!!!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 15, 2002, 19:26   #127
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

I used to be very active... and then I got bored playing the AI. I went back to playing Civ II MP, because playing other humans is far superior to playing a stupid AI. I look forward to the release of PTW... and I truely hope they deliver a sutible replacement for Civ II MP

But back to Zachriel's point...
"If there is no defense to the rush, then Civ ceases being a strategy game."

This thread has now gone full circle.

HappySunShine states in his first post that the random nature of combat negates the rush strategy... And he was wondering if it was going to be fixed. So yes... according to probably the best master of the rush strategy... there is a defense against it now... a more random combat system
Old August 15, 2002, 19:28   #128
Tuberski

Modding the hp's of different age units can kill the randomness factor to a certain degree. Of course, in MP everybody would have to agree to do that.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:29   #129
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
HappySunShine states in his first post that the random nature of combat negates the rush strategy... And he was wondering if it was going to be fixed. So yes... according to probably the best master of the rush strategy... there is a defense against it now... a more random combat system
Well, in that case I'll just build warriors my next game then.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:30   #130
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Good point Ming.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:31   #131
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 07:50
Yes, ranodm factor makes early rushes more risky.

And I don't think that it's problem.

This is TBS not RTS.

Of course, if you realy like early rushes, then it's your problem.

Since you'll need to chnage your stratgey a little.
(if you are going to win)
Old August 15, 2002, 19:34   #132
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Good point Ming.

MY GOD... JT AGREES WITH ME...

And I will build tons of warriors too... Granted, they will die more often than stronger units, but nowhere near as bad as they do in the Civ II combat model. In Civ II, they are almost worthless in terms of combat. In Civ III, they can be very effective early in the game.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:34   #133
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 06:50
The more random nature of combat in conjunction with the way stacks are handled in civ3 means a player who techs is not going to be able to defend very easily against a player who churns.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:37   #134
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 05:50
Ming...I agree.....now repeat after me....AZTEC!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:39   #135
Jon Shafer

Argh, a Jaguar Warrior rush! Someone ban that civ for MP, quick!
Old August 15, 2002, 19:41   #136
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Seriously tho...I *do* hope JT's prediction rings true....and there are a number of things that point to the fact that it just might work out that way. There are some good opportunities for the defensive game in Civ3....against the AI, it's useless to explore, since the AI is easy to beat, but against a human....I dunno. I'll be curious to see how it goes tho....

-=Vel=-
(fingers crossed, but just in case, I'll keep the Aztecs close at hand and ready!) - Hey...if you're gonna rush, why not do it from 4000BC?
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:41   #137
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Ming, thats a little spamy, isn't there a limit on smilies per post?

Old August 15, 2002, 19:42   #138
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 06:50
I really don't see how you guys can claim rushing is going to be harder here then wax lyrical about how you're going to mass warriors.........a strat that would pay no dividend in a game like civ2 where rushing is allegedly easier.

The stacking, the support, and the more random combat _all_ point to more tactically oriented style games. Please tell me why rushing is harder in civ3MP.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:43   #139
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Vel, the UUs will have to be turned off man.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:48   #140
Velociryx
staff

Ahhh....I know....a pity, but necessary. And, without civ specific abilities (no industrious, religious, or any of the other coolio traits), we'll be beating each other up with plain vanilla ice cream, which will weight all MP games even more heavily on starting position (which further means that almost no GOOD, well-balanced MP game will ever be played on a random map).

The more I think about it, the less jazzed I am about MP. The only thing you get is better opponents, at the loss of everything that makes the various civs unique.

Bleh!

-=Vel=-
Old August 15, 2002, 19:54   #141
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Vel, the UUs will have to be turned off man.
Maybe... maybe not.

What if every player was given the option of choosing his two "traits"... and to choose a UU... therefore creating their own civ. This would stop the RACE for people picking the "best" civ, and would allow all players to set up a combination that they would be happy with.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:54   #142
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 23:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I agree DrSpike.

The fact that warriors can overcome fortified spearmen quite frequently means that a rush will be very possible as a strat in my mind.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:55   #143
Velociryx
staff

I like the sounds of it Ming, but I'll not hold my breath that that's how it's gonna be....we'll know soon tho....

-=Vel=-
Old August 15, 2002, 19:58   #144
Velociryx
staff

Dr. Spike: I don't really know how MP will shake out yet. My HOPE is that rushing will be harder, but I *know* it'll be the first tactic out the gate when MP hits. Has been for as long as I can remember!

It'd be awesome if someone would finally kill that particular horse, which has been ridden to near-death, and IMO, spoils a lot of the fun and potential subtlety in these types of games, but if not.....hey, it's a powerful tactic....*shrug*

-=Vel=-
Old August 15, 2002, 20:00   #145
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 23:50
Quote:
What if every player was given the option of choosing his two "traits"... and to choose a UU... therefore creating their own civ. This would stop the RACE for people picking the "best" civ, and would allow all players to set up a combination that they would be happy with.
Or you rate the various civs by how well they start in various eras, and you handicap the players based on record. Then when setting up a game you agree on which 'class' of civs each player may chose from.

Give the beginner the choice of any civ, including Zulu and Aztec. The most experienced players are limited to the US, England, and France (or some such).

No mods required.
Old August 15, 2002, 20:00   #146
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
I like the sounds of it Ming, but I'll not hold my breath that that's how it's gonna be....we'll know soon tho....

-=Vel=-
I agree... I'm not holding my breath on this one. But it has been brought up before, and the suggetion has been made repeatedly.

Give us options... and then... more options. That way, we can design an MP experience for anybodies tastes
Old August 15, 2002, 20:04   #147
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
I really don't see how you guys can claim rushing is going to be harder here then wax lyrical about how you're going to mass warriors.........a strat that would pay no dividend in a game like civ2 where rushing is allegedly easier.

The stacking, the support, and the more random combat _all_ point to more tactically oriented style games. Please tell me why rushing is harder in civ3MP.
1. Movement restrictions in enemy territory.
2. Can't use howitzers with blitz on enemy railroads to run the board.
3. Bombard (and air) units can't kill units and allow paratroops to capture cities.
4. Airports have been toned down a bit.
5. Good defensive unit values, good defensive modifiers (terrain and city based)
6.Can post unit on mountains and see further for early warning.
7. Conscription and mobilization favors the defender who has shorter line of reinforcement.
8. Radar towers?
9. Artillery auto fire will be a meaningful factor.
10. We might get some partisans in PTW, I hope.
Old August 15, 2002, 20:08   #148
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 07:50
Rushing won't be harder.

It would be just RISKIER.

Wanna flip a coin?
Old August 15, 2002, 20:12   #149
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 22:50
All this talk of rushing in MP puts me in mind of one thing. And that is that I am so very glad my favorite MP games are ones were rushing is almost completely impossible. I don't say completely impossible because someone would probably find a way to do it.

The games are Firaxis's Gettysburg, and Talonsoft's Battleground series (The Napoleonic Wars ones are my favorites). Essentially they are games about the art of manuever. Putting the right forces in the right place at the right time to break the fighting spirit of the enemy.

I for one am glad that rushing may be much more difficult in Civ3 than it was in Civ2. I don't like rushing. I consider it the most simplistic tactic anyone can use. It probably takes AI programmers all of maybe half a day to teach their games to build a giant mass of units as fast as possible and throw them at you until they win. It probably takes them months to teach the games to perform scouting probes, feints, and other more subtle manuevers to keep you off balance as to where the real center of mass is and where your defense and counter-offense should be.

And if I'm going to lose a game to someone else, I would much rather it be an enjoyable one where I can say afterwords "I really thought you were going to come at me from the north with your Cavalry. I never expected a sea-ward invasion from the southwest." or other words to that effect. Not "Well I guess it is pretty hard to win against 500 warriors coming at me head-on."
Old August 15, 2002, 20:13   #150
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
I agree DrSpike.

The fact that warriors can overcome fortified spearmen quite frequently means that a rush will be very possible as a strat in my mind.
A vet warrior will win against a regular fortified spearman in a town one in five tries. If I have a vet spearman fortified on a hilled town you will fail 95%+ of the time. Bring it.