Old August 10, 2002, 00:47   #1
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Campaign Thread: Minister of Imperial Expansion
This is the Campaign Thread for the Minister of Imperial Expansion Election. Citizens are welcomed and encouraged to ask the candidates questions.

Current Candidates:
Jonny (DIA)
Will 5001 (UFC)

Good luck to all candidates.
Old August 10, 2002, 00:48   #2
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Here's why you should vote for me, Jonny, as your new IE minister.

As many of you know, city building is a very important aspect of Civ. I, being an experienced Civ player, will try to build cities in good, efficent, beneficial, and prosperous places. I will build cities that are assets to our civ, not disadvantages. However, now that the game has progressed a bit, there is more to good city location than just a location with good production. We must build cities in places that will give us luxuries and strategic resources, which are of tremendous importance to our civ. We also must build cities near our enemies, even if they are unproductive. These have several benefits. First, they allow us to slow down/prohibit the expansion of other civs. Secondly, they can be used as staging grounds for invasions. Finally, should we decide to build up our culture, espically in the border cities, it would increase the chances of culture-flipping some of their cities to us. City building can make or break a civ. I plan to make Apolytonia great, not break Apolytonia.

Of course, there are other things involved in being a good IE minister than just city building know-how. For example, I always try to listen to and poll the people, which is very important in a democracy such as ours. I will rarely, if at all, take actions without asking the people first. Since this is a democracy, I plan to include the people as much as possible.

Also, you can be assured that party politics will not affect my actions as IE minister. I won't ever ignore some people's ideas and automatically accept others just because of what party they are in. That's just plain silly.

So, if you want a great Apolytonia for you and your children and your grandchildren (and so on), then vote for me, Jonny, for IE minister. Thank you.
Old August 10, 2002, 09:05   #3
Jonny

*bump*
Old August 10, 2002, 09:53   #4
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Are you for colonizing Uber Isle? If so when would you like to do it.

Sell your photos
Old August 10, 2002, 10:38   #5
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:51
Could you please post a picture for us to see where you'll place your cities ?
If there is a settler SirRalph was moving (but hadn't time to settle with) when you're elected, will you keep orders unchanged ?
Old August 10, 2002, 18:46   #6
Will 5001
Warlord

Local Time: 05:51
Will 5001 policies
This is the current Deputy IE minister Will 5001 campaign for the minister for Imperial expansion in the next election.
As you know my proposed city cites has been accepted for our immediate expansion policies by the current government. For the short-term I propose that city 1 should be built ASAP to prevent expansion from either the Germans or the Americans. Although the map of the proposed city sites is out of date at present, if elected, I will immediately reassess the situation and revise my plans.

I do believe that Uber Isle should be colonised as soon as the galleys have been used in the war against the French. We must not let this opportunity to colonise an island so close to our capital pass us by. If another civ can get hold of this island it will could become a military base just a few tiles from Apolyton.

Obviously I will chose city sites that mix growth with production and strategic importance, and the public will be a factor in my decision making, and there will always be options to choose from.

We need to consolidate our position after the wars and this office is very important to our nation for the future, as the work done now will stay with us until we win. That is why Will 5001 is the best choice on polling day.
Old August 10, 2002, 18:50   #7
Will 5001
Warlord

Spiffor: As long as that settler is going to one of my preposed city sites (which I suspect it is, I think I may have ebven ordered it!!!!!), then yes it will continue to go to the site!
Old August 10, 2002, 19:33   #8
Jonny

Here's my expansion plan:

The following picture shows the three possible city sites I see. But first, a descripition of the sites:

Site 1 (West-Northwest of Del Monte): It's near some grassland-shields and plains, so it will give us some production. It's also near desert, which is one of the places where saltpeter can be found. If we don't have any saltpeter, we will be at an extreme disadvantage going into the mid-game. It's also a good place to stage any offensives against the Greeks.

Site 2 (West-Northwest of Boston): Along a floodplain and river, offering lots of food for growth. This would also provide a link between Boston and Chicago once we capture them, giving us a way to expand into the Ivory Coast. It's next to more desert (saltpeter). There is also an iron NW of the city site.

Site 3 (North of Boston): It's surrounded by plains, offering no real growth possibilities until irrigated. However, if we built up culture here, we could possibly culture flip a German city. It could also be used as a staging ground for attacks against Germany.

Here's the Picture:

Of course, to ensure that we would be able to settle at these sites, we should probably build settlers as soon as possible to keep other civs from building there first. With so many neighboring civs though, this can be hard. Also, please note the Persian settler/warrior stack near "Thebes."

In the long run, I'd like to expand toward the Ivory Coast, and also to Uber Isle. Of course, I don't really want to expand to Uber Isle until we know what is there first.

I'm pretty sure that there is a settler of ours that is already on it's way to a city site. I will let it continue to go to it's destination and build there. Of course, I haven't figured out where it is going yet.
Old August 11, 2002, 16:08   #9
Jonny

*bump*

Any more questions, anyone?
Old August 11, 2002, 16:18   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:51
Are there any prevailing ideas you have seen discussed that you would strongly fight against, and if you were in the minority in this opinion, how would you aim to resolve this conflict?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 11, 2002, 16:47   #11
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 06:51
City 3 should be moved 1 tile SE or even E, so it will be founded at the river.
Old August 11, 2002, 17:07   #12
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Is palace jumping and FP building covered by the ministry of imperial expansion? If so what are you're views on it.

We might aswell let the US spam the land around boston and chicago with cities and then take them later on.
Old August 11, 2002, 18:39   #13
Will 5001
Warlord

The FP and palace jump aren't directly related, but i do agree with palace jump to minimise corruption. I have to disagree with Jonny and state the Uber Isle is a MAJOR priority, even if the land is not very productive, it is of extreme military strategic importance. If a rival powerful civ can estabilish itself so close to the heart of Apolytonia, it wilol see the death of many fine Apolytonian soldiers. It could serve as a naval base in future conflictsand if a rival civ is allowed to get there first, an invasion force will not take long to reach Apolytonia, therefore, in a war it will be a priority, I have no doubt that we can capture it, but it will be a severe drain on our resourses in the event of war. If the land is fertile and productive, that will be great, but in the interests of our own defence, we need cities on Uber Isle.
Old August 11, 2002, 19:01   #14
Will 5001
Warlord

P.S The building of a city on ivory coast has to be considered VERY carefully. We will need a road all the way there draining on our worker supply, it may prevoke the greeks to war, which is not good, it has a strong chance of being flipped, and by the time we get round to it, somone would have already built there. As for saying that site 3 may be able to flip German cities that is a bit of wishful thinking, we dont have a very strong culture, Berlin is quite near, we have more chance of being flipped ourselves! If site 3 (city 3 on mine! Coinsidence?!!! ) is built it will need a lot of cultural (or military) support.
Old August 11, 2002, 20:58   #15
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

The Americans have founded Washington at City #2
The good news is that they hold the place until we crush them
The bad news is they bar us the path to city#3 or ivory coast (unless we take a major detour, and we'd lose the race to ivory coast in this case.
Remains city#1 and Uber Isle
Old August 12, 2002, 06:19   #16
Will 5001
Warlord

I feel that the chance of getting any saltpepper from the small patch of land is minimal, so it isn't really a reason, but there are many good reasons for building at site 1. We need settlers quickly, otherwise we will just be closed in, and will need to fight more than we have to!!
Old August 12, 2002, 14:25   #17
Trevman
Warlord

Local Time: 21:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Tank v Tank
Interesting
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.
Old August 12, 2002, 17:05   #18
Jonny

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Are there any prevailing ideas you have seen discussed that you would strongly fight against, and if you were in the minority in this opinion, how would you aim to resolve this conflict?
As of now, there are no prevaling ideas that I strongly disagree with. I feel that the game is progressing well. However, if there was a situation where I strongly disagreed with a popular idea, I can assure you I would not flame people, nor would I whine and complain like a toddler. I would present my point of view and my opinions and my arguments in a civilized manner. I would also be willing to debate my point of view in a civilized manner.
Old August 12, 2002, 17:27   #19
Will 5001
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Strangely enough I don't think that I am against widely held views. If I was, I would fight my corner vehemently and not back down since i would beleive that the people would be behind me, however if I was in a complete minority, I would put my views aside, since, at the end of the day I am a representative of the people and I will do my best to encompass all views.
Old August 12, 2002, 17:44   #20
Jonny

My Updated Expansion Plan:

Well, the Germans have built Hannover at site 3 and the Americans have built Washington at site 2.

That leaves Site 1, the Ivory Coast, and Uber Isle.

I believe Site 1 still remains a high priority for the time being. We must get a settler there soon, however, or some other civ will get there first.

If we build there, that leaves Uber Isle and Ivory Coast.

It could be risky to build at Ivory Coast. It's a long way away and right in the middle of Greek territory. Building there might infuriate them. Of course, by the time we could get one of our settlers there, the Greeks probably will have already built there.

That leaves Uber Isle. We are probably the only ones that know of Uber Isle's exsistance, so there are not AI settlers trying to rush there. Now that most other options are disappearing, I believe we should build there before some greedy AI civ.

So, in order, we should build at:
Site 1
Uber Isle
Ivory Coast

Picture below:
Old August 18, 2002, 12:24   #21
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

we should settle Uber Isle as soon as we can !

have a nice day