King

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Court of Apolytonia: Case 1, Official Thread
Court of Apolytonia: Case 1

DO NOT POST REPLIES!
before reading this opening post

Rules of the Court

1. No one will post any message within this thread until invited explicitly by the Senior Justice, or as allowed by these rules.
2. The case will begin with the Complainant or their representative being invited to post. He or she may then take as many posts as are required to present their case. The Complainant would be advised not to go on indefinitely and to be respectful of the court's time.
3. The Complainant will explicitly state when they are finished.
4. The Senior Justice will then invite the Respondent or their representative to post.
5. The Respondent may begin by asking the court to dismiss the case. If such motion is made, the Senior Justice will communicate with the other justices. Once 3 justices have agreed, the Senior Justice (or another appointed by him or her) will post that decision. Assuming the case continues...
6. The Respondent will be invited to post their defense. The Respondent will follow the same guidelines as the Complainant.
7. The Respondent will explicitly state when they are finished.
8. At the conclusion of the Respondents case, the Complainant will be invited to rebut their arguments. The Complainant will state when they are finished.
9. The Respondent will always be given the last word, so after the Complainant is finished rebuttal, the Respondent will be invited to reply to what the Complainant has said in rebuttal. The Respondent will state when they are finished.

10. The cases are finished.
11. Justices may now freely ask questions of the Complainant and the Respondent. Members of the public may request to be heard. Any such hearing granted to the public must be invited by the Senior Justice or by a direct question addressed to them by any justice.
12. Any member of the public may request being heard by PM to the Senior Justice, or by a simple statement of 'May I be heard?' within the thread. Do not be surprised if the Senior Justice requires you to PM him with your concern before allowing you to post in the thread.

* No one will post in the thread prior to being invited by the Senior Justice or as explicitly allowed within these rules. In other words, other justices and those directly addressed by them may respond without invitation at appropriate times.
* The Senior Justice may interrupt at any time to make a point of order. All persons with no exceptions will respect his or her orders.
* The Complainant and the Respondent may ask permission to make motions during any point of the proceedings after the Senior Justice establishes the thread. Such motions will be preceded by the moving party posting 'Motion'. At that point others will stop posting. The Senior Justice will recognize the party and the motion will be made. The Senior Justice will rule and will invite any parties interrupted to resume.
* The Senior Justice may appoint any other justice to stand in his or her stead if an absence requires it. That justice will be the Senior Justice from that point until the original Senior Justice returns.
* The Senior Justice is the law and the only law within this thread and under the gOdz. He or she may make any relevant decision at any time in accord with our established rules and laws. All people without exception will respect his or her decisions and the order of this court.

This court will be in session until declared closed by the Senior Justice.
Old August 10, 2002, 12:02   #2
Captain
King

Plaintiff: Timeline, Togas
Respondent: UnOrthOdOx
Senior Justice: Captain

Issue:
On the validity and acceptance of the amendment 'Integration of Minister of the Economy' poll: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=56344
Old August 10, 2002, 12:05   #3
Captain
King

Plaintiff's Initial Argument for Apolytonian Court Case #1

Quote:

The ammendment "Integration of Minister of Economy" was polled and passed by the required number of votes. It should, therefore, become the law.

The Constitution states, Amendments to this Constitution can be submitted by any member of our nation. An amendment is passed and made official by a 2/3 or greater vote on the amendment's inclusion.

Timeline posted the text of the proposed integration ammendment and a poll which asked voters to vote "yea" or "nay" for the text. The poll also allowed voters to "abstain."

When the poll closed the results were: Yea: 19, Nay: 8, Abstain: 2.
Of the 27 votes for or against passage, 19 votes = 70%.
This is more than enough to pass the ammendment.

Argument Against Passage: The total number of votes was 29, counting the 2 "abstains", and 19 is only 65.5% of 29, so the ammendment didn't pass.

Response: "Abstain" is not a vote for or against. The option to abstain is given to allow interested parties the chance to view the poll results without affecting the outcome in either way. Voters who choose "abstain" intend not to vote. They do not intend to vote "nay". Their "abstain" should not be counted as a "nay."

Everyone who does not vote is abstaining. The text of the Constitution does not state that an ammendment is made official by "a 2/3 or greater vote of the entire population of Apolytonia." It just requires a "2/3 or greater vote." Of those who vote for and against it, at least 2/3rds must vote on the ammendment's inclusion.

Voting to "abstain" is not an option we should be counting. It's not even a vote. The confusion lies in our site's polling software. The site sees that there are three possible boxes to check in this election and it acts as though there are three equally valid options for the poll and calculates its percentages accordingly. In truth, there are two valid options, and the option for anyone to "abstain" and not vote on this issue. Unfortunately, confusion results when the program counts people who choose to abstain. The Court must determine what the outcome of the election was using only the valid options of "yea" and "nay".

Possible additional issue: This proposed ammendment would edit the text of the Constitution.

Response: That is not illegal. That is exactly what ammendments are supposed to do. The fact of the matter is any ammendment changes the law, and so long as the people approve of that change it is valid. This ammendment clearly stated what it would do -- that it would replace outdated text with new text -- and the people voted to allow that change to be made. There is no law specifically forbidding this kind of ammendment procedure, so no legal objection can be made.

Conclusion: When The Court views the records and results of the poll and sees that the "yea"s have 70% of the votes, compared to the 30% of those who voted "nay", it must find that the ammendment is valid . It is clearly known by all that "abstain" is not a vote for or against, and those who choose to "abstain" do not intend to vote. The Court must follow the law and follow the will of the voters who chose to abstain and not effect the outcome of this poll. The Court must find this ammendment valid.

Submitted on behalf of those in favor of the Passage of the Integration of Minister of Ecomony Ammendment, and in support of Timeline, the original Plaintiff.

--Togas
Old August 10, 2002, 12:06   #4
Captain
King

Respondent's Initial Argument for Apolytonian Court Case #1

Quote:
Members of the Court,

We gather here today not only to find judgment on the amendment in question, but also to set a precedence for polling in the future. The CoL states that
Quote:
An amendment is passed and made official by a 2/3 or greater vote on the amendment's inclusion.
The simple fact is that the amendment in question does not.

I understand that the Plaintiff's will be claiming that the abstain votes should not be counted towards the official %. That in fact, they are the same as not voting.

The original poll, itself, intended to take them into consideration.
Quote:
Each official poll should have its rules laid out,
from the CoL. The very inclusion of the abstain option in the poll shows that it was intended to be taken into consideration. Now that the law didn't pass, albeit very closely, Timeline intends to throw them out. There is no law REQUIRING the abstain option, why else would it have been placed unless to provide people with that option.

It is true that in a normal (RL) government body that an abstain is simply not voting. However, those bodies also have a set number of members so the abstains DO affect the final %. Here, we have no way of determining active membership, and therefore abstain options must be taken into consideration lest we intend to pass laws that actually garner no support from the public.

- UnOrthOdOx
Old August 10, 2002, 12:11   #5
Captain
King

The Plaintiff may now present further arguments. When he is finished, the Respondent may present further arguments.

Once that is finished, we will automatically RECESS to give time for the participants to develop rebuttals. The Court will resume at a time mutually agreed upon by Togas and UnOrthOdOx and myself (or any Judge who is willing to assume temporary SJ duties).
Old August 10, 2002, 13:13   #6
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 23:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
First,

I would like to ask forgiveness of this breach of protocol, but I have waited for 1 hour. I must assume then, that Togas is either not around, or is happy with his firt argument. I can no longer wait as it is my wife and I's 7th anniversary and we hve plans.

I would like the first statement of mine stricken from the record, and replaced by this one.

We are not here to debate the use of abstain votes. We are here on the question of the validity of the poll in question.

This poll shold be rendered invalid on two counts. First, as stated in the CoL :

Each official poll should have its rules laid out, as well as a form of expiration, either when a certain event takes place (i.e. ‘when the game starts’), or a time limit (i.e. ‘5 days’). This is to prevent the occurrence of an incident such as if doesn’t include an expiration, and says 3 weeks later "well this poll said this" kind of thing, and use its results officially. Each poll should lay out the potential options, as well as the question in a clear format. The required inclusions for the post are: an expiration date/event, a fair, clear and concise, unbaised question which addressed the issue of the poll, and a general description of what your poll entails. Instead of a description if you wish to post a link to another thread to give a description, that is acceptable as well.

This poll did not set up rules for how the abstains were to be counted in it's post. This led to cofusion among the voters. Some believed that abstains were to be counted. The evidence is the need for this very trial.

Second point, this poll is a repoll of the current Minister of Economy Ammendment. The rules governing repoll's are a follows:

If someone wants to conduct a repoll, then it must be created at least 3 weeks following the initial poll. If a repoll is created before 3 weeks has passed, then that poll is immediately invalid. If a poll is an alternative poll, offering alternatives to decisions made in a previous poll, then it also must be conducted at least 3 weeks following the first poll, or be immediately deemed invalid. Any poll that's general purpose is the same or similar as another poll will be considered a repoll.

The original ammendment poll was posted on 7/03/02 while the poll in question was posted on 7/20/02. 17 days later, not 21. The two ammendments have virtually the same intent, therefore this poll violates the repolling rules.

Thank yo for your time, your honors

- UnOrthOdOx

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 10, 2002, 13:37   #7
Captain
King

UnOrthOdox, the breach of protocol is acceptable in this case. No problem. Your initial argument has been superseded by this one so there is no need to erase the former.

The Court will automatically RECESS after Togas presents his arguments.

Real-life "intrudes" on us all. The Court recognizes that and does not hold it against anyone. I, myself, must return to work now so that is the reason for the automatic closure after Togas is finished. Any of the others Justices is authorized to reopen, as indicated in the above posts.

After rebuttals by both Togas and UnOrthodOx (which will be once the Court resumes session), procedure indicates we will open the Court to a Q&A session. All others, please be patient. Thank you.
Old August 10, 2002, 16:36   #8
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:51
My appologies to the court but I just got back from lunch with my signifigant other. This is my first opportunity to sit down and make this rebuttal.

Rebuttal,

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
First,

This poll shold be rendered invalid on two counts. First, as stated in the CoL :

Each official poll should have its rules laid out, as well as a form of expiration, either when a certain event takes place (i.e. ‘when the game starts’), or a time limit (i.e. ‘5 days’). This is to prevent the occurrence of an incident such as if doesn’t include an expiration, and says 3 weeks later "well this poll said this" kind of thing, and use its results officially. Each poll should lay out the potential options, as well as the question in a clear format. The required inclusions for the post are: an expiration date/event, a fair, clear and concise, unbaised question which addressed the issue of the poll, and a general description of what your poll entails. Instead of a description if you wish to post a link to another thread to give a description, that is acceptable as well.

This poll did not set up rules for how the abstains were to be counted in it's post. This led to cofusion among the voters. Some believed that abstains were to be counted. The evidence is the need for this very trial.
NO poll to date has set up rules for how abstains are to be counted. If The Court is to follow this logic, then every poll we have previously had should be found invalid.

Defense needs to cite specific instances of confusion amongst the voters. Since only two voters chose to "abstain" I fail to see how there is any evidence that the voters in general were confused. None of the voters who chose to "abstain" posted a message in thread that they were confused, or that they felt their abstain would count as a "nay".

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Second point, this poll is a repoll of the current Minister of Economy Ammendment. The rules governing repoll's are a follows:

If someone wants to conduct a repoll, then it must be created at least 3 weeks following the initial poll. If a repoll is created before 3 weeks has passed, then that poll is immediately invalid. If a poll is an alternative poll, offering alternatives to decisions made in a previous poll, then it also must be conducted at least 3 weeks following the first poll, or be immediately deemed invalid. Any poll that's general purpose is the same or similar as another poll will be considered a repoll.

The original ammendment poll was posted on 7/03/02 while the poll in question was posted on 7/20/02. 17 days later, not 21. The two ammendments have virtually the same intent, therefore this poll violates the repolling rules.
Incorrect.

Justice Captain correctly explains repolls when he states in the thread "pre poll discussion: should abstain option be required in official polls"

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain
Repolls are copies of old polls in which it is hoped that changed circumstances and opinions over time (and not rewording of the poll) will change the results.
This "poll's" general purpose was NOT the same or similar as the previous poll, it's purpose was to correct mistakes in our CoL. The previous poll's purpose was to join the two offices together.

If this "repoll" interpretation was correct, then NO ONE could change a mistake in the law more than three weeks after it was made, or within three weeks depending on the misinterpretation you choose to abuse. The defense's interpretation is a clear abuse of the intent of this law. We should not block valid laws that have been passed by the voters on technicalities that are based on a misapplication of the law.

An ammendment which tries to clarify mistakes in our CoL is not a repoll of the law which joined two offices together.

Bottom line, 70% of the voters voted for this change in the laws and if the court follow the twisted logic of the defense then this overwhelming majority will be silenced by a decision which defies the intent of the Code of Laws and stiffles democracy. Furthermore, the defense has not and cannot allege that this poll was biased or unclear, it is a model poll that conforms to every previous valid poll and every one since. We have depended on this format and will continue to depend on it.

Rebuttal concluded.
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old August 10, 2002, 22:10   #9
Captain
King

Just got back from work (yes, I know, 10pm on a Saturday).

Next post is reserved for UnOrthOdox's rebuttal, which will conclude the first part of the thread.

AFTER his reply, we will then open the case to any relevant questions from any citizen (including ministers, judges, and other officials). Use enough detail to clarify the question, but please keep them brief and specific. Questions should be numbered to assist the plaintiff and respondent (and myself) in keeping track. You do not need to request permission to speak if you follow these instructions.

Note that the next section is reserved for questions. Your comments should wait until the Q&A session is complete.

Thank you.

(oh, and happy anniversary UnOrthO )

Last edited by Captain; August 10, 2002 at 22:18.
Old August 10, 2002, 23:33   #10
Captain
King

Note:

Quote:
originally posted by Togas

Justice Captain correctly explains repolls when he states in the thread "pre poll discussion: should abstain option be required in official polls"

quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain
Repolls are copies of old polls in which it is hoped that changed circumstances and opinions over time (and not rewording of the poll) will change the results.
That was my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Court. Just to keep in mind.
Old August 11, 2002, 13:03   #11
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Confsion hereing is evident when skywalker, one of the ones to abstain replied
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
They AREN'T?????

Yes they are!
To Timeline's statement that abstains were not going to be counted. To the purpose of whether past polls have set up a way to count abstains, this is the first case where it has led to confusion, or has even been needed.

As for the two polls and their similarty:

The poll in question:
Quote:
This Amendment will remove the Minister of Trade and Minister of Finance sections of our Code of Laws, and replace it with this:
The original ammendment:
Quote:
The positions of Minister of Trade and Minister of Finance are hereby dissolved by this amendment. In their place is the creation of a new office, the Ministry of the Economy.
The original ammendment already replaced any reference in the CoL to the former two positions. The new ammendment is looking to do the same, just in a different manner.

Finished, and sorry for the delay.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 11, 2002, 17:03   #12
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

MOTION.

I move that if no private citizen posts any questions on this thread in the next 24 hours that the Plaintiff and Respondent be allowed further debate on this issue.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old August 12, 2002, 00:29   #13
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

While I am up for more debating, it is definately against the laid out structure of the court. If one of the judges lets it go, I'm for it.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 12, 2002, 01:37   #14
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Questions of interest to myself for both Togas and UnOrthOdOx. Please do not directly address each other. Feel free to answer each and every one of my questions. Captain will return and allow for rebuttal if you wish to address the reply of the other advocate, or PM me.

1. The Abstain Issue. Where is the status of Abstain explained in law or practice? Can any given voter define the meaning of his Abstain vote on a case by case basis and does that attempt at definition have any legal standing?

2. The Editing Issue. Article II: Amendments points to 'inclusion' of new material, but does not mention allowing editing. Do you feel it is wise to allow for the Constitution (or Code of Laws) to be edited? How will we keep track of versions?

3. The Repoll Issue. Are you aware of Spiffor's poll of June 26 (which closed on July 1)? It can be found here
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=54106
The results of that poll were proclaimed by Trip on July 1
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=54573
and added to the Constitution.

What effect do you think Any poll that's general purpose is the same or similar as another poll will be considered a repoll would have on Timeline's poll of July 20?

Which mistakes in Spiffor's poll and Trip's enactment of the original Minister of Economy Amendment were addressed by Timeline's poll?

/Edit. Last question. Who decides that any given mistake was in fact a mistake and whether it warrants the application or the over-riding the repoll provisions of the Constitution?

Last edited by notyoueither; August 12, 2002 at 01:49.
Old August 12, 2002, 09:30   #15
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

[QUOTE] Originally posted by notyoueither
1. The Abstain Issue. Where is the status of Abstain explained in law or practice? Can any given voter define the meaning of his Abstain vote on a case by case basis and does that attempt at definition have any legal standing?[\quote]

Abstains do not have a standard of practice at this time, legally, or in practice. That debate is what led to this court case. If there were a standard to not count them, as the plaintiff's suggest, there would have been no need for the trial.

Quote:
2. The Editing Issue. Article II: Amendments points to 'inclusion' of new material, but does not mention allowing editing. Do you feel it is wise to allow for the Constitution (or Code of Laws) to be edited? How will we keep track of versions?
This was the subject of some debate. Personally, as long as the original is kept somewhere whithin the CoL, there is no reason not to make the actual body condensed and easy to read. Nothing should be permanently deleted, however.

Quote:
3. The Repoll Issue. Are you aware of Spiffor's poll of June 26 (which closed on July 1)? It can be found here
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=54106
The results of that poll were proclaimed by Trip on July 1
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=54573
and added to the Constitution.
I don't know how this one was missed when I did my search. Ho many times have we polled on this ammendment? The poll I refer to, however, includes the changes that Timeline wanted to make to the FAM in the poll in question. It is therefore still a repoll. The one I point to may even be a repoll, but includes these 'mistakes' that are referred to, and apparently it passed, why then, was the repoll needed?

Quote:
What effect do you think Any poll that's general purpose is the same or similar as another poll will be considered a repoll would have on Timeline's poll of July 20?
Timelines poll refers to fixing the FAM and other sections to say the new minister rather than the outdated ones. The poll I linked to above does the same thing. The original ammendment, even, states that those positions are dissolved, and that they are now replaced with the MoE.

Quote:
Which mistakes in Spiffor's poll and Trip's enactment of the original Minister of Economy Amendment were addressed by Timeline's poll?
Got me. This is merely a desire to reword the ammendment to something that pleases some people more. Timeline did not accept the original terminology. I think there were other intentions as well, which have no berrings on this case, so I will leave them alone.

Quote:
/Edit. Last question. Who decides that any given mistake was in fact a mistake and whether it warrants the application or the over-riding the repoll provisions of the Constitution?
No system is set up at this time to override any part of the CoL AFAIK. Perhaps an official poll asking if the people WANTED a repoll would suffice. I would like to point out that NO discussion was ever presented before the posting of Timeline's poll. While not officially required, it is 'strongly recommended', and would have likely avoided much of the debate herin.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 12, 2002, 11:10   #16
Captain
King

The Court is in its Question and Answer session. Any citizen (including judge, minister, official) may post a question relevant to the case.

Again:
[i]use enough detail to clarify the question, but please keep them brief and specific.[i]

Questions should be numbered to assist the plaintiff and respondent (and myself) in keeping track. Since Judge nye has questions 1-3, next will be question 4. Since we are numbering questions, you do not need to wait for a reply to a previous question to post another one. Togas and UnOrthodOx should respond to questions in numerical order so that they do not miss any. Of course, they may use their answers to question to further their cases and debate, but should first make sure they are answering the question.

You do not need to request permission to speak if you follow these instructions.

However, the Court acknowledges Kring as he has been very patient waiting for his turn. Kring, please post your question. Thank you for waiting.

The Court also thanks all participants and observers for their courteous and orderly involvement.

Last edited by Captain; August 12, 2002 at 11:27.
Old August 12, 2002, 13:04   #17
Togas
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
1. The Abstain Issue. Where is the status of Abstain explained in law or practice? Can any given voter define the meaning of his Abstain vote on a case by case basis and does that attempt at definition have any legal standing?
We have agreed not to debate the abstain issue in this argument but I would like to point out that since there is no prior court decisions on this issue and no law defining what abstain is to mean, that in this case and in all other cases where we face the question of how to define something that has not been defined? that we look to the common practice and custom on this site and in the world at large. We ask “what does this word or phrase ordinarily mean?”

When there is no legally authoritative definition, the voters must turn to common practice and/or custom. When there is no common practice and/or custom, the creator must define the term for the other voters.

Does the attempt at definition have any legal standing? No. But I think the term you meant to use is legal significance. Standing refers to the ability to be heard on an issue.
But as to significance, of course it does. It shows us the intent of the drafter of the new law should a question arise about its meaning. It shows us the intent of the voters who passed the law as well.

Quote:
Anything which is not specifically or implicitly prohibited is allowed.

It is always wise to fix mistakes, remove outdated/unused/mistaken language and redraft our laws. In contrast it would be foolhardy to keep an outdated and useless set of words and phrases because they hold some sort of historical significance to us. Let the historians track history and number versions if they choose, our job as lawyers and as ministers of the law is to communicate the intent of these laws in the clearest way possible to the people, so that the people will be able to know and understand the true meaning of the law.

Let not our nostalgia cloud our minds over this issue. The people should be able to read our code of laws and understand them. The people need to feel confident that the laws, as written, are the true law of the land and not the prior law or some antiquated version of it that is no longer in effect.

Quote:
3. The Repoll Issue.
This issue is a red herring.

If this were a repoll, Timeline would just be trying to get people to vote again on a law that was previously passed. That would be pointless. But if The Court takes a careful look at what was written by Timeline when he posted this amendment to be voted on, specifically his purpose for going to all the trouble, it will become apparent that his purpose was to fix mistakes in our Code of Laws that were not addressed when the original amendment was voted on.

Timeline is, in essence, asking the voters to allow him to go in and edit the Code of Laws so that the current language clearly expresses the will of the voters when they passed the original integration amendment.

Quote:
First of all, Spiffor’s poll was a general proposal for how to change the Code of Laws. A vast majority of the people approved the idea. Trip then assumed it was an amendment, write it up in similar language, and posted it as amendment 1 to the Code of Laws.

Trip DID NOT include this part of Spiffor’s original document:

“The Minister of Economy loses a function of the Minister of Trade in the process : the ability to call for trade embargoes, which goes to the foreign advisor.”

Frankly, if someone wants to right now, he could say that Amendment 1 was invalidly added to our Code of Laws as it was never polled as an “Amendment” and as Trip did not fully and completely put the text of the proposal into the Code of Laws as the people requested in their vote. However …

This is not relevant because Timeline’s proposal fixes this mistake!

By enacting Timeline’s text we remove questions about the validity and text of Spiffor’s proposal and Trips piecemeal inclusion into our Code of Laws.

Timeline’s proposal ties up the loose ends, clarifies the law, and makes a change in the area of embargos that mirrors the changes Trip failed to include. He fixed the language of the F.A.M. to remove the outdated language as well.

But most importantly, this was voted by an overwhelming majority to be the new written statement of the law! It is wrong for The Court to now tell the people that the language they chose to be the new statement of the law is invalid because some misapplication of the repoll issue. This is not a repoll! The evidence and intent are crystal clear that Timeline is not trying to repoll the people on this issue!

The people can and should fix the laws whenever they feel it is appropriate. The Code of Laws gives them that power. This Court should not trample on this right!

Quote:
The voters decide and they decided in this amendment. 70% of them voted to change the text as Timeline proposed.

--Togas
Old August 12, 2002, 15:14   #18
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

4) For Togas and Timeline
The COL explicitly says that all amendment votes must be in yes/no format. How can this poll be valid since it also contains an abstain option?

5) For unorthodox
Under most rules of order an abstain is considered a non vote. How is this case different?

6) For Both
Have either you or the court checked to see if we could obtain the identities of the abstains and perhaps ask them what their view was when they chose the abstain option/vote?

Respectfully submitted by Aggie
Old August 12, 2002, 15:56   #19
Togas
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
The COL explicitly says that all amendment votes must be in yes/no format. How can this poll be valid since it also contains an abstain option?
The Code of Laws, Article III, Poll Format states that, "Each official poll MUST include either a ‘yes/no’ format, or a ‘group’ format."

It does not read "MUST include only yes/no", nor does it define what a "'yes/no' format" is. It is silent on if voters may chose to abstain.

Am I beating a dead horse? People, by including "abstain" you are NOT automatically invalidating an official poll. If that were the case then nearly every single one of the polls we have done to date is invalid. Is that what the law mandates when it says 'yes/no' format? Is that the intent of the law, that we invalidate all of our polls? Furthermore, the common use and practice of polls on this site is to include the "abstain" option. Society itself has mandated that this is both allowable, permissable, and valid.

The question you should be asking is "why would including an abstain option make this poll invalid?" Not the other way around.

Quote:
6) For Both
Have either you or the court checked to see if we could obtain the identities of the abstains and perhaps ask them what their view was when they chose the abstain option/vote?
From reviewing the posts on the thread it is clear that Godking and Skywalker abstain, as each posted messages stating that they abstained, and each stated clearly why he abstained:

Quote:
Originally posted by Skywalker
Abstain. I'm not quite sure what this is about. I thought that these amendments had already passed. If you want to replace earlier things instead of being tacked on at the end, then make an amendment that says that you can do that.
Quote:
Originally posted by Godking
abstain - as I havn't followed the rational behind all of this terrably close. I don't have any objections.
Interestingly enough, Skywalker posts that he is confused about how abstains are counted in the quote submitted by the defense, but not about what abstain means. The above quote shows that Skywalker knows what abstain means.

Godking also knows what abstain means. His later post reads:

Quote:
Originally posted by Godking
OK - I abstained. Just switch my vote to yes and let this one pass. Then we can have the court relook into this.

If I remember Robert's Rules of Order correctly, an abstain is a method for a person to vote, without effecting the outcome either way. This is usually necessary when a plurality (a sertain minimum number of votes) is necessary for the proposal to be passed.
--Togas
Old August 12, 2002, 17:29   #20
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
The law does not REQUIRE that an abstain option is put in. It is my contention that since it WAS, it was intended to be counted.

Quote:
5) For unorthodox
Under most rules of order an abstain is considered a non vote. How is this case different?
Under most rules of order, there is a set number of voters as well. In those instances, enough abstain, and the vote will not pass. In our little world, however, we have no way of telling how many active voters there are. It is for this reason that absain should be counted. Not as 'no', but as ABSTAIN. The poll in question did NOT obtain the required % of those who voted. Abstains are a no vote, but they should also be counted. If three judges in this case abstained for instance, no ruling could pass because it requires 3/5 to pass judgement. The same rule should apply to the poll in question.

Quote:
6) For Both
The two in question are as Togas states. There WAS confusion, however, on how and if abstains are counted, hence this case. If they were intended to be throw out, what was the use of placing the option in the poll? One can say to view results, but there is a little 'show results' button for that and it requires NO voting, so that argument has no basis.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 13, 2002, 11:39   #21
Captain
King

Since there are no further questions at this time, we'll move to the next (optional) session of the case thread and open the thread to comments and opinions from anyone regarding the case. You must provide a rationale for your comments, including links and/or quotes of evidence that support your rationale. Comments such as "Togas is right" or "I agree with UnOrthOdOx" [i]without[i] any rationale and support are unwelcome. Don't simply repeat what has already been said without adding something new, whether new perspective, new evidence, or new arguments.

The case is still open to questions. Please remember to number your questions and other protocols.

Lastly, if you are offering an opinion, please separate your questions from your comments into different posts for clarity.

Thank you again for your co-operation.
Old August 14, 2002, 03:56   #22
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Thank you for recognizing me, Captain; also, thank you for the PM I have been fairly busy and hadn't noticed your post.

I would like to say I supported the poll in question, but I don't agree that it passed.

Response to questions 1 and 5. After having reviewed a fair number of abstain articles on the internet, exactly how it is tabulated depends on the group in question that used it or did not allow its use. It can be anywhere from a vote that doesn't count at all to a vote that does count.

I would hope the Court makes a blanket ruling about Abstains, whether in this decision or another one. Because, otherwise, people will be defining it in each poll differently, which has been suggested on this issue already.

Several of the points I had planned on making have been put out by UnOrthOdOx, so I won't repeat them now.

7. I would ask what is the point of having Abstain if it is not going to count as part of the %age total since people don't have to vote at all, and many don't anyways?
Old August 14, 2002, 21:48   #23
Captain
King

To all:

The case thread will close Friday, 9pm EST by unanimous decision of the Court. Anything posted after that time will not be guaranteed consideration.

Due to fairness, questions will only continue to be allowed until Thursday, 9 pm EST. This allows 24 hrs for Togas and UnOrthOdOx (or their appointed substitutes) to read and respond to the questions.

At present, there is one unanswered question (#7 posted by kring).

Thank you.

Last edited by Captain; August 14, 2002 at 22:27.
Old August 14, 2002, 23:04   #24
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I would like to address the court. First of all, this has been a very well done case and I compliment both sides and the court. However I have a more important purpose in entering this statement. In a democracy it is of the paramount importance that all votes be equal and all elections for similar items be equal. However when one election has one format and another election has another format the two are most certainly unequal.
The poll which is effectivly on trial had yes,no, and abstain as options. This meant that if a person did not whole heartedly support it, they could cast an abstain vote instead of a no. Did this happen in this case? The best I can tell is no, however that doesn't preclude it happening in the future and effecting an outcome. Another election on an amendment was the election for the election standards. This amendment didn't have abstains, it simply had yes and no and it was defeated
by a 24-20 margin. Now would it have passed with the abstains option included. Probably not, but there are many people who posted saying they didn't like the amendment in a single sentence or in a small way. There is a good chance the margin would have been closer, this could have lead to a different result. Thus this amendment was handicapped by not having an abstain option. It is possible that if the amendment under consideration had had no abstains that it would have gone down to defeat in an absolute way. even if it is not the case in this instance the fact that abstains have the potential to increase the odds of passing should be considered in making any decision. Because ALL elections must be equal and elections with different formats can lead to different results I call upon the Apolyton court to rule that this and all future amendment polls that use abstain to be invalid and a violation of the constitution. The court could also use its authority to clarify the statement in the col that says
"Each official poll MUST include either a ‘yes/no’ format, or a ‘group’ format", to say that yes/no format means just that, a yes or no option without an abstain. However if the court doesn't agree with me on the excluding abstains I call upon the court to declare that all amendment elections must have abstain as an option. Either way will do so long as all elections are now and forever truly equal. Though clearly I feel that the abstain option simply gives to much confusion potential to a vote.
Aggie
Old August 15, 2002, 07:47   #25
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Aggie,

I do not know if the court can really ask that all polls require an abstain. That is something I believe must happen through an ammendment. There was some discussion a while back, when this case opened, because I saw the same things you did. Please make your opinion known in this thread on the issue of requiring abstains in votes.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 15, 2002, 12:50   #26
Captain
King

Gentle reminder of question #7, if anyone wants to reply? If you have already answered, you can just point to the answer.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old August 15, 2002, 13:20   #27
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

I consider that question to be for the Plaintiff. I asked a similar one in one of my arguments.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 15, 2002, 14:02   #28
Treestumpx
Settler

Local Time: 01:51
Point one: The poll in question was two option poll. Yes or no. There is no maybe option. No option to send the amendment back for revision, etc. The abstain option in the poll adds a third choice to the ballet where only two should exist. Since it is a yes or no poll, results should only be based on those two choices and those two choices alone. The third option is rendered powerless by the dicotomus choice of the preceeding two. Results of the poll should reflect this.

Point two: Though it was mentioned that we should not dispute the definition of an abstain vote, it is certainly apparent that it should not even exist. By casting a vote to abstain, it is possible to view the results of the poll before the vote is closed. This way, it is possible for either side attempting to sway the decision to seek additional votes and additional means to vote and procure a win.

The option to abstain should have never existed since it is already possible to abstain by refusing to vote. Every citizen does this by not voting.

Last edited by Treestumpx; August 15, 2002 at 14:17.
Old August 15, 2002, 15:43   #29
Togas
Emperor

I would like to apologize to Kring because I missed his question. I will answer it now.

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
7. I would ask what is the point of having Abstain if it is not going to count as part of the %age total since people don't have to vote at all, and many don't anyways?
I would like to ask what PART of the % total do you want it to count as? Should it count as part of the "no" percentage? Should it count as part of the "yes" percentage?

Those are the only two options if it's going to COUNT for anything, because saying it counts as some mysterious third option is actually saying it's a vote against passage, and that's a vote for "no."

There is one other option, though. That we COUNT abstains as abstains are meant to be counted: we don't count them.

If someone wanted to vote "no", he would have voted no.
If someone wanted to vote "yes", he would have voted yes.
The two who voted "abstain" meant it as abstain. Just look at their posts. That was the intention of their vote and The Court should not apply some alternate meaning to their votes.

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
I would hope the Court makes a blanket ruling about Abstains, whether in this decision or another one. Because, otherwise, people will be defining it in each poll differently, which has been suggested on this issue already.
I would hope that The Court NOT make laws. Making laws is the job of the people, not The Court. Given the current state of the law and given the current state of our custom and practice involving abstains, The Court should find this poll valid, find that the ammendment passed, and let the people fix this perceived ambiguity in the law through the proper, legal channels.

Thank you,

--Togas
Old August 16, 2002, 22:50   #30
Captain
King

Case thread is closed. Judges will spend several days deliberating and deliver a ruling sometime next week. Thank you to all participants, you have certainly given us a lot to think about.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.