Old August 10, 2002, 19:25   #1
Sharpe
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Looking for a good First Person Shooter game
I am looking for another good FPS game.

I was thinking about either Deus Ex or Half Life , favouring Half Life somewhat as I am not sure whether Deus Ex will work on my 266 Mhz computer.

I have or have played:

- Duke Nukem 3D
- A demo with that successor game to Duke Nukem 3D with that Chinese guy (can't remember the name of it)
- No One Lives Forever
- System Shock 2

Also looking for a good computer chess game that isn't too expensive.

Also, was Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine good or not? Looking for a good adventure game.

Any suggestions ?
Old August 10, 2002, 19:27   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 05:52
Deus Ex for single player (although it's a bit more of a "first person sneaker")

Half-Life for multiplayer, but it's got a good singleplayer game too.

Do It Ourselves
Old August 10, 2002, 20:31   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:52
It depends really on what type of FPS style you enjoy or want to play now. Deus Ex is closer to SS2 in gameplay, while Half-Life is more similar to Duke Nukem, etc.

Thief 1 & 2 are always good FPS games, but you won't be going around killing too many people in either of those. They are fairly old too, so very very cheap. Deus Ex is also excellent for this type of gameplay.

For pure adrenalin rush, Quake 2 can't be beaten in single-player mode. Best SP campaign out of any FPS.
Old August 11, 2002, 20:51   #4
Moral Hazard
King

Are you looking for multiplayer or singleplayer?

For singleplayer. Thief 1 or 2 would be good if you enjoyed the sneaking missions in NOLF(primarily the office). If not avoid them.

Avoid Quake2 if your looking for a single player game (one of the worst campaigns I've ever played), it's MP is all right but I'd recommend Unreal Tournament. Back to SP, Heretic 2 (if you can find it) is better for adrenalin, as is Serious Sam but it's above your requirements.

About Deus Ex, if you've got a voodoo you should be alright if you have a Nvidia expect problems (it's directX capabilities are inferior to it's glide) I had problems with my Geforce 2 mx on my old 500 mhz in wide open spaces (sub pen, and statue. The patch did nothing to resolve the problems either) I think you'll enjoy the game though.

Half-life is a good choice, the AI is quite good, and the missions are fun up until the last few. The game is enjoyable for both SP and MP (with CS). Overall I'd recommend this game. There are better games now, but I'm not sure if they'd be playable with your computer.

About chess games, I don't play em but if you can find an old Chessmaster I understand they're top notch.

I don't play adventure games. but if I remember Indiana Jones being panned when it came out.
Old August 12, 2002, 00:01   #5
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 00:52
Re: Looking for a good First Person Shooter game
Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpe
... my 266 Mhz computer.
It's time to upgrade if you want to play any recent FPS game reasonablly well.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 12, 2002, 01:35   #6
Eroberer
King

I think what Moral Hazard said about Deus Ex is true about the original game. However there is a patch that fixes some video problems. I played through the entire game with only one crash after the patch (which was probably vid driver related anyway).

I suggest Deus Ex for single player over anything there. This game will not get repetitive. I've played through it about five times and I've done different things each time. However, you probably will not have much success with this game on your system.
Old August 12, 2002, 02:26   #7
Moral Hazard
King

The Patch didn't fix my problems, and the FAQ stated that there was sorting problems with Geforce cards. I never could fix it. Updated drivers etc.
Actually when I started it up on my new computer it ran smoothly, same video card but with an athlon 1200.
Old August 12, 2002, 03:54   #8
Eroberer
King

Are you sure you had Direct3D rendering selected, instead of Software or, I think, Glide?

I've run the game on a GF2 Go (GF2 MX), and a Riva 128 based card, nothing seems to go wrong, but that definitely doesn't mean that it's problem-free.
Old August 12, 2002, 06:02   #9
pg
Prince

you didn't mention that you've played doom. if you haven't played doom get it. doom single player is better than serious sam because you aren't as slow as a snail(which gives you many more options tactically), you can make monsters fight each other a lot, you can traverse doom levels in many more different ways than serious sam, and the gameplay is just more intense. you can find doom/doom2/expansion packs, and literally hundreds of high quality maps if you search the net/warez. if you do check out doom i recommend downloading either jdoom(if you have a 3d card) or doom legacy since they are nicer than the old doom client which is really old. btw, doom isn't anything like half-life, nolf, or even q2. it's more about heart renching action, and hoards of enemies like serious sam.

also worth checking out are hexen/heretic and their sequels.
Old August 12, 2002, 09:23   #10
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 07:52
good FPS and 266Mhz don't mix very well
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old August 12, 2002, 10:26   #11
Space05us
King

Local Time: 17:52
Ghost Recon - its so cool
((Like my explanation?))

its more of a challenge than all those other FPS, but its not a typical FPS either its more of a militery strategy game. You dont just walk around with a really big gun and shoot stuff, you have missions that have an actual objective and enemies that will actually track you (stealthfully too). And THE COOLEST thing of all, you can have snipers

I dont know about its multiplayer mode though, never played it.

If this doesnt makes sense to you than

I didnt sleep last night
Old August 12, 2002, 11:54   #12
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 06:52
me thinks Ghost Recon (which is a very kewl game) wouldn't even install on a 266.

I'd recommend thief/thief 2 just because you'll get them cheap and they'll definately run on your comp. And if they don't you cans end them to me.

-Homer Simpson
Old August 12, 2002, 12:49   #13
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Pavlov
I'd recommend thief/thief 2 ...
Good luck finding them.
Old August 12, 2002, 13:27   #14
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 22:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
btw, that game with the chinese guy is 'Shadow Warrior' I believe.
Old August 12, 2002, 14:10   #15
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 06:52
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Good luck finding them.
Well I've seen Thief 1 in budget version (Soldout or something) in many game stores. Of course, that's in Sweden, so....

Surely they can be bought somewhere on the net?

-Homer Simpson
Old August 12, 2002, 18:06   #16
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 07:52
Sharpe,

my general solution would be Wolfenstein 3D, using almost stunning 3D effects. Anyway, a PII 266 MHz is already quite outdated for any FPS games, as you can't even play Civ III. So I suggest a cheap update to a new AMD Duron CPU with 256 Mb DDR-266/333 and a suitable Socket A mobo. You might also want to have a new hard drive.
Old August 12, 2002, 19:43   #17
Sharpe
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice - wasn't able to post a reply until now.

Quote:
Are you looking for multiplayer or singleplayer?
Definitely single player as I would be toast in MP, especially in the older games (as I found out in Starcraft lol).

I am probably favouring Half Life right now - have heard so much about its MP and mods wasn't too sure how good it was at single player.

Due to 3dfx problems with and the general obsolesence of my machine, may get Deus Ex later when it is cheaper.

Thought about the Thief series, can't find it much here anymore. Played Doom and Quake series - couldn't get much past the middle of those games. Just don't ask me if I bought them.

Quote:
Anyway, a PII 266 MHz is already quite outdated for any FPS games, as you can't even play Civ III.
Hmm, not true as I do have Civ 3 - admittedly it gets a little slow in the modern age though (helps having a lot of RAM I think).

Quote:
It's time to upgrade if you want to play any recent FPS game reasonablly well.
Yes, my 266 Mhz machine is quite ancient (nearly 5 years old!), even with the memory and hard drive upgrades it is starting to get sluggish on modern games. A young neighbour of mine thinks that I should send it to a museum soon (after that comment I hid my old 386 system from him lol).

Planning on getting at least a P4 2.26+ by the end of the year to be able to play Civ 3 MP, MOO3, Rise of Nations and Age of Mythology which I probably couldn't play on this computer.
Old August 12, 2002, 19:54   #18
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:52
Quote:
Thought about the Thief series, can't find it much here anymore.
Thief 1/2 is definately worth looking out for. If you come across it, grab it! Its usually very cheap now too, and you will be glad you did.
Old August 13, 2002, 23:04   #19
Zkribbler
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Pavlov
Well I've seen Thief 1 in budget version (Soldout or something) in many game stores. Of course, that's in Sweden, so....

Surely they can be bought somewhere on the net?
Buy it! Buy it!! Buy it!!!

I looked all over Los Angeles and found only one Thief 2 and no Thief 1s. I did find one Thief 1 in Orange County. E-Bay was selling a single Thief 1 but that was a couple of months ago.

The company that made them, Lookinglass, has gone out of business. Luckily, the designers have migrated to Ion Storm and are now working on Thief 3.

I just got Jedi Outcast yesterday. It's okay but has yet to rise to the level of the previous Jedi games.
Old August 13, 2002, 23:34   #20
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler
I just got Jedi Outcast yesterday. It's okay but has yet to rise to the level of the previous Jedi games.
From what I've read, you have to wait until the midpoint of the game before it really hits its stride.
Old August 14, 2002, 00:01   #21
Eroberer
King

If that's a Pentium II then you could try to find a good 500MHz chip somewhere for a few pennies.
Old August 14, 2002, 02:13   #22
Zkribbler
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
From what I've read, you have to wait until the midpoint of the game before it really hits its stride.
Ahhhhh, that's reassuring to hear.