View Poll Results: Are you going to buy MOO3?
Yes! I'm getting it as soon as it comes out! 40 44.94%
Yes, but i'm going to wait for a bit cuz i'm too lazy, waiting for a review, etc 35 39.33%
Yes, but i'm a very awful person, and i'm going to get it via burnt cd/warez. I am going to be straight condemned to hell for my sins. I make Hitler look like Oscar the Grouch 8 8.99%
No, I'm not going to get it. What i'm doing here on this forum is beyond me. 6 6.74%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 10, 2002, 21:52   #1
erikmistal
Settler

Local Time: 00:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Are you going to buy MOO3?
I'm just curious. Either that or i'm just spamming for the hell of it. either way...
erikmistal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2002, 08:35   #2
Thue
Freeciv Developer

Local Time: 07:53
(x) I will buy the linux version when it comes out.
Old August 12, 2002, 00:18   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:53
I will buy it by the fastest delivery means that I can find. That is, I will peorder if that looks like the quickest or if not order at the local EB. As soon as it becomes a done deal.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2002, 05:44   #4
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 22:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well, uhm, I'm not seeing the splunge option (Yes, No, Maybe and I am Not being indecisive.)

I'd like it but I'm going back to school in the fall, money will be tight and at the current time its release date will put it just a wee bit late to put it on my Xmas list. Which sort of sucks cause my in-laws tend to complain that my list is too short and at this point its probably gonna be shorter this year than last. Mostly because MoO3 and Impossible Creatures aren't due out until Q1 '03.
Bleyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2002, 10:33   #5
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

I'll be waiting for the first decent sale....unless the reviews make me think that now is better!
Old August 12, 2002, 13:31   #6
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 06:53
I've moved from the "buy on sight" to the "buy if some Poly people think it's nice" club. Then again, if it is nice, I will buy at least three copies (two to MP with, one to lock away in a bank vault should my house burn down).

Yeah, I do take Moo seriously.
Old August 12, 2002, 14:38   #7
vmxa1
Deity

I have three copies of Moo and Moo2, so it makes sense to me.
Old August 12, 2002, 14:45   #8
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I'm not speechless with shock, vmxa.
Old August 13, 2002, 10:03   #9
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by moomin
I've moved from the "buy on sight" to the "buy if some Poly people think it's nice" club. Then again, if it is nice, I will buy at least three copies (two to MP with, one to lock away in a bank vault should my house burn down).

Yeah, I do take Moo seriously.
Me thinks that CD burner would be a better option. You should be able to do that if you use the disks for personal use.
Old August 13, 2002, 10:30   #10
moomin
King

Actually, it wouldn't. Buying three copies of a game I really like raises the possibility of someone doing another game like it some teeny weeny bit.
Old August 14, 2002, 06:38   #11
Grumbold
Emperor

I'll buy it if the reviewers I trust give it the thumbs up and the boards aren't full of screams about bugginess. Just as I would have done before the news of cuts and sackings.
Old August 14, 2002, 13:29   #12
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

There is a reviewer you can trust?!?
playshogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2002, 16:19   #13
erikmistal
Settler

so no one's going to burn it or use horrible warez?

I'm sure some of you will, but just don't want to admit it. tisk tisk tisk.
Old August 14, 2002, 16:53   #14
vmxa1
Deity

It is usually not wise to be sure about things when you have no information. It is not unreasonable to suspect that there will hacking of any game, but probably less likely here than other places. Often you can not copy new games for a time as the latest preventions will work until someone cracks them. Anyway we have so few people responding that it is meaningless. The games I want, I can not wait for a crack. I may use a tool to make a safety copy later (if I liked the game). In Moo and Moo2 I paid for at least three copies. Only full price for the first, later ones on sales. In fact I paid $18 for Moo2 a few months ago as it came with a strat guide and manual that I had lost.
Old August 15, 2002, 06:35   #15
Grumbold
Emperor

There's no single reviewer I trust implicitly, but I do trust the general weight of opinion from a number of review suites that actually play the game before offering their verdict and don't automatically give top marks to anything that has been eagerly anticipated.

The closest I've come to piracy is downloading the occasional no-CD crack for a game. Apolyton has a mature enough audience that boasting about downloading a ripped copy wins you no friends here except among those screaming that the game was a waste of money.
Old August 15, 2002, 10:24   #16
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by erikmistal
so no one's going to burn it or use horrible warez?

I was suggesting that he burn back-up copies instead of buying 3 copies. However, now I understand his motive. He wishes to support the games that he likes with multiple purchases.
Old August 15, 2002, 14:47   #17
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

I will only buy it if it gets great reviews. And looks nice too.

The new iPod nano: nano
Hagbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2002, 16:29   #18
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 23:53
I definently want it, but I think I'll wait for at least the first price drop. This will be my first year in grad school so games like MOO3 and Civ3 that take dozens of hours to play may not be the best idea anyway. I should probably stick to Madden football with 5 min quarters.
Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2002, 10:24   #19
Grumbold
Emperor

Be careful you don't succumb to 'just one more superbowl' syndrome
Old August 16, 2002, 17:04   #20
Kc7mxo
King

I'll admit to checkign out on warez. But then I do that with most all of the games I buy. I've spent close to 300 dollars on games in the past year, but I always play a demo or download a hack before I lay my money down.

I've been burned too many times by crappy products geting fantastic reviews. **cough** black and white **cough cough**

Lets see, in the past year I've bought, AVP2, GTA3, Mechwarrior IV Black Night, Warcraft 3, Neverwinter Nights, and a variety of games as gifts.

Does using warez to check out a game make me a bad person? do i care?

Last edited by Kc7mxo; August 16, 2002 at 17:45.
Kc7mxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2002, 22:16   #21
erikmistal
Settler

I myself might get this game if it gets really good reviews, but i'm also looking forward to MAFIA. It's supposed to be a sweet game
Old August 22, 2002, 16:57   #22
Rogan Josh
Prince

I'll buy it as soon as possible - even if that means mail order from the US
Rogan Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2002, 22:11   #23
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo
No, its becoming standard practice for some these days.

I might get it if people in this forum seem to enjoy it, and there are good reviews. Maybe.
Old August 22, 2002, 22:51   #24
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo
Well to answer th question, probably not. But then, do not complaint about it when someone steals from you. No, I do not live in a glass house and did not claim any saintlyness, only acknowledge it is not what one would want to have happen to their stuff.
Old August 23, 2002, 06:47   #25
Grumbold
Emperor

Its becoming quite common in the business community to inform on your own organisation if they try and avoid licencing their software in order to get a reward. Perhaps in the future rewards will be offered for individual warez downloaders. Shop your mates for £25!
Old August 23, 2002, 12:22   #26
vmxa1
Deity

It seems to me that if you knew someone was breaking the law, you should turn them in without a reward. It is generally in your best interest to stop thieves. I never understood the crap about tattle tales? It is just means of protecting bad conduct. Crooks cost us all.
Old August 30, 2002, 09:40   #27
Zealot
King

Quote:
Originally posted by erikmistal
Hey, relax, I'm still having some hopes on this game. But if the community starts saying the game has serious issues (like Civ 3) then I WILL get a ripped/"wared" version. Civ 3 suck when it was released, and I'm still not happy with it and I doubt I'll ever be, unfortunatly. I really hope the same won't happen to MOO3.
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2002, 09:53   #28
moomin
King

Warez are wrong. 'Nuff said.

But I applaud MS and all going after illegal installs aggresively. That can only give a much-needed boost to free software as corps start seeing how much the programs really cost.
Old August 30, 2002, 13:36   #29
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 13:53
Where's the "I'll only buy it if it is as great as promised" option?
Urban Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2002, 18:34   #30
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 22:53
I would interpret the second that way. "Wait for reviews" means if the reviews say it is no good then you will reconsider.
Straybow is offline   Reply With Quote