Old August 15, 2002, 19:34   #31
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
(RP mode on)

To both candidates:

Do you have a sense of humor? Do you socialize, get to know people, instead of locking yourselves away in a room using computer? Can you take a joke? Thanks

Old August 15, 2002, 19:39   #32
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:53

while i can take a joke, i wouldn't be talking, Mr 6.5 posts per day.
Old August 15, 2002, 20:07   #33
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 22:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by TKG

lol
Old August 15, 2002, 20:08   #34
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG

6.5 vs 1.27? Hmm....Anyway..

Volitaire, can you please answer my question?
Old August 15, 2002, 20:14   #35
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
(RP mode on)

To both candidates:

Do you have a sense of humor? Do you socialize, get to know people, instead of locking yourselves away in a room using computer? Can you take a joke? Thanks

Yes, I do have a sense of humour, though it is slightly different from most peoples (mainly political humor, well politics itself is a joke).

As for the 2nd question, I have been locked away in my room for the past week using the computer (not of my own free will, the weather is just terrible).

Yup, I can take a joke
Old August 15, 2002, 20:42   #36
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:53
The idea of taking Mobility as a free tech sounds like a good compromise to me.

E.L. Crisler
First Commissioner
Old August 15, 2002, 20:45   #37
Voltaire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Crisler
The idea of taking Mobility as a free tech sounds like a good compromise to me.

E.L. Crisler
First Commissioner
Yes, it would allow us to continue with research on other fields while meeting the needs and wants of the Office of the Commissioner.
Old August 16, 2002, 07:04   #38
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 23:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Voltaire

Yes, it would allow us to continue with research on other fields while meeting the needs and wants of the Office of the Commissioner.
Listen closely, that is the sound of a SERIOUS suck-up you are hearing.

E.L. Crisler
First Commissioner
"yes I have a sense of humor and so does God, don't beleive it, just look in the mirror."
Old August 16, 2002, 07:08   #39
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 07:53
Have either candidates run simulations to see if it's posisble to be the first to reach SotHB?
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old August 16, 2002, 10:42   #40
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

good idea. i'll do that (soon)
Old August 16, 2002, 11:13   #41
Method
Emperor

simulations indicate that perhaps secrets is not something we should aim for. the gaians ( ) got it in 2136 while i still had 12 years left to go on it. the university (who i made contact with) seemed more interested in planetary networks and such.

of course i didn't exactly get an "ideal" start. south of the freshwater sea. not a single rainy tile to be seen. i made contact with the hive and traded with them, so that may have slowed my tech rate down. and social psych was unavailable, so i went for info networks (zak wouldn't trade it). of course i went for ecology first.
Old August 16, 2002, 14:51   #42
Voltaire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Crisler

Listen closely, that is the sound of a SERIOUS suck-up you are hearing.

E.L. Crisler
First Commissioner
"yes I have a sense of humor and so does God, don't beleive it, just look in the mirror."
Poor humble old me suck-up to the all-powerful Great Commissioner Crisler?

(BTW did I mention eloquent your writing is today, absolutely inspirational)
Old August 16, 2002, 15:06   #43
Voltaire
King

I ran a total of 5 simulations, in the first 2 we did not receive Secrets of the Human Brain first (we were a few turns behind the University); in another 2 we did receive it first; and in the last one out of the 5 we made the discovery on the same year the University did though we did not receive the free-tech.

I’ll run some more simulations to get a better look at what our chances are of discovering Secrets of the Human Brain first are.
Old August 16, 2002, 15:09   #44
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

this is a 1/2 chance that we get it (counting the fifth simulations as 1/10) i do not think that we can say we need to get after it. a too big of a chance that some gets it before us and that the citizens want an other tech
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 16, 2002, 15:17   #45
Voltaire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
this is a 1/2 chance that we get it (counting the fifth simulations as 1/10) i do not think that we can say we need to get after it. a too big of a chance that some gets it before us and that the citizens want an other tech
Well from the looks of after running a few more quick simulations, our chances are about 50/50 (slightly less). Perhaps we should hold off on this discussion until we have a better grasp of the conditions we will be facing (since from the looks of it our landing site did have a great deal of influence on our early research rate), by holding off until we know where we are on Planet will let us calculate the odds of discovering the Secrets first with a lower margin of error.
Old August 19, 2002, 02:25   #46
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 01:53
Based on a simulation I have run (Peacekeepers on Thinker in Huge Map), Voltaire's plan seems reasonable.

I attempted to get Doctrine: Mobility as the first tech. The next two tech choices, Social Psych was not available, and another faction (I forget which) was able to get the Secrets before me.
The next simulation, I went straight to Social Psych and then Secrets, and was successful.

Because the Secrets of the Human Brain give such an important advantage in the technology race early on, I would support aiming for them before Mobility. After Secrets I would support Ethical Calculus -- the Growth bonus from Democracy seems more vital early on to me than does the availablitiy of Scout Rovers, simply because by the time Secrets is done our Scout Patrols will likely have found a Unity Rover or two. After Democracy, support costs go high (although we are amply compensated for it by the ability to out-grow Yang), so Scout Rovers are less of a priority.

Even so, I would prefer getting Mobility before, say, Industrial Base. (In a pinch, two Scout Patrols will defend as well as an equally-experienced Synthmetal Garrison, although support cost is double.)

Candidates, your thoughts?
Old August 19, 2002, 03:10   #47
Zakharov VII
Warlord

Local Time: 21:53
To me, at least, the Growth bonus of Democracy is worthless early on (although much better for Peacekeepers than anyone else, due to the easy handling of size 2 bases) because of those lost 10 minerals...it delays everything by about 5 turns, and in this early period of expansion, we'll be bouncing back and forth from size 1 to size 2 anyways as Colony Pods are built, as the emphasis is not on growing base sizes but base numbers.

That 5 turn advantage builds and builds...if at first there's a 5 turn difference, then the new bases finish their pods 10 turns earlier, then the next, 15. If the expansion phase is now over, Democracy can be turned back on, and these outer bases are now 20 turns ahead of a Democracy (and, now, benefits from Democracy's growth itself), if the Democracy player bothers to continue expanding.

Also, even if Democracy's Growth and Efficiency were to give a slight benefit over the lack of the 10 minerals, it seems to me that using the Social Engineering money to buy a pod 5 turns earlier (not sure the exact amount on Thinker...32 EC's?) creates a sizable turn advantage itself. And, this is all neglecting the -1 mineral per turn this would cause, as surely each base would soon have a Former, and if not a Scout Patrol, a Colony Pod running around?

Then again, on the Mobility front, I find building Rovers rather pointless - wastes time at the base, and costs minerals. Popping Independant Rovers (with the Independant Scout) is much more fun .

AdamTG02 also brings up an interesting point about the two Scout Patrols being like a Synthmetal. In rather extreme circumstances, two Scout Patrols may well be better than one Stasis Garrison...just for the single extra turn the Scout Patrols would last (if the attacker were Singularity/Singularity/Elite Gravship Singularity/Singularity/Commando Infantry, for example, the Stasis would get killed off one turn, and if nothing could be done, the base would be captured next turn. The two Scout Patrols, however, would last two full turns, as it would take a whole turn of the attacker to kill off one measly Scout (that is how it works, right?)). That could, possibly, be enough time to move your own Singularity whatever to kill off the attacker.

That last bit was rather off-topic, but oh well. I think more than half had something to do with this discussion .
Old August 19, 2002, 10:21   #48
Method
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamTG02
Based on a simulation I have run (Peacekeepers on Thinker in Huge Map), Voltaire's plan seems reasonable.

I attempted to get Doctrine: Mobility as the first tech. The next two tech choices, Social Psych was not available, and another faction (I forget which) was able to get the Secrets before me.
The next simulation, I went straight to Social Psych and then Secrets, and was successful.

first of all, my first tech is ALWAYS centauri ecology. Adam, your test proved that its possible to get secrets by skipping ecology and going to social psych, then secrets. IMO its best to have the formers out first, then to have the secrets, and if we can't get secrets if we take ecology first, then i'd be willing to choose something else.

*sigh* i like free tech, but, oh well
Old August 19, 2002, 11:37   #49
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 01:53
Ecology was not as high a priority for me because the AI researches it so often. Given that there is such a strong support for geting Formers early, though, I do agree with both candidates that ought to be our first tech.

Sorry if I'm threadjacking; this and the previous post are meant to be relevant to the discussion underway.
Old August 19, 2002, 18:18   #50
Voltaire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamTG02

Because the Secrets of the Human Brain give such an important advantage in the technology race early on, I would support aiming for them before Mobility. After Secrets I would support Ethical Calculus -- the Growth bonus from Democracy seems more vital early on to me than does the availablitiy of Scout Rovers, simply because by the time Secrets is done our Scout Patrols will likely have found a Unity Rover or two. After Democracy, support costs go high (although we are amply compensated for it by the ability to out-grow Yang), so Scout Rovers are less of a priority.

Even so, I would prefer getting Mobility before, say, Industrial Base. (In a pinch, two Scout Patrols will defend as well as an equally-experienced Synthmetal Garrison, although support cost is double.)

True, if we go for Social Psych as our first tech assuming it is available we greatly increase our chance of getting SotHB; though seeing as so far everything is just speculation we will have to wait to see the conditions we find ourselves in before we make the choice of whether we will go for SotHB on if we should just steer away form trying to get Secrets first. IMO if we find ourselves in favorable conditions getting the free tech through Secrets should be a priority (and I also consider Centauri Ecology to be crucial as well, therefore if we do research Social Psych first and get the free tech to offset not having researched Centauri Ecology before we should acquire it thought the free tech).
Old August 19, 2002, 18:25   #51
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:53
I will not vote for any candidate that doesn't support CentEco as the first tech.
Old August 19, 2002, 20:48   #52
Zakharov VII
Warlord

All this fuss about Mobility...

The People have decided that Retro-Engineering is acceptable, so...just get Planetary Networks and retro-engineer Probe Teams!

Everyone that wants Planned is satisfied, everyone that wants Wealth (and Industrial Automation for other reasons) is satisfied, and our Comissioner is satisfied with his Rovers.

Z
Old August 19, 2002, 21:59   #53
Method
Emperor

i'm all for it, but its cheating. that's not exactly reverse engineering...
Old August 20, 2002, 00:11   #54
Zakharov VII
Warlord

Nevermind, then...

I've never played a PBEM game (and there's never been a reason for any of this in succession games) so I don't know the "official" rules .

Z