View Poll Results: How many formers do you want per base?
An average of less than one per base 0 0%
One per base 1 3.45%
Between one or two per base 10 34.48%
Two per base 4 13.79%
Between two or three per base 9 31.03%
Three per base 1 3.45%
As many as you can force the D of BP to build. 2 6.90%
Formers look like bananas. 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 11, 2002, 08:11   #1
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How many formers do you want?
I would like to know how many formers per base the regular peacekeeper citizen would construct.
Old August 11, 2002, 08:19   #2
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 05:54
100.00% for 2 or 3 per bases well then its decided (i forgot to mention only one vote)
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 11, 2002, 08:28   #3
Wojit
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:54
For me, it would really all depend on whether we get the Weather Paradigm

Old August 11, 2002, 09:11   #4
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

But of course The Weather Paradigm! Do all of you give high importance to that? Building an SP that early game though would slow down expansion plans. In any case, I always try to reserve one of the first bases built for an early game SP production by maxing mineral production and building a rec commons and rec tanks (while all other bases would almost solely build colony pods, formers and scout patrols and not worry yet about facilities).
Old August 11, 2002, 09:13   #5
Maniac

Anyway, I like the current poll results very much until now. I mostly build between 1 or 2 formers per base early game (say 1.5 x # bases most of the time). If the poll continues like this, I might even ask for more.
Old August 11, 2002, 09:19   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:54
Can't we decide this in the game, a base at a time? Surely things won't be so easy for us that we can blithely say we can do this now?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 11, 2002, 09:22   #7
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

it`s just a guidance I think
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old August 11, 2002, 09:33   #8
Maniac

Indeed. Guidance. To know what PK citizens would want their Director to do under ideal/general circumstances. Of course it should be dealt with on a base per base basis in the actual game.
Old August 11, 2002, 10:43   #9
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:54
it depends really. in my current SP game i have anywhere from 1, to 6 formers per base. i like a lot of formers and crawlers
Old August 11, 2002, 13:39   #10
Juliennew
Warlord

Local Time: 06:54
I usually have 2 or 3 formers per base but it also depends if I own the Weather Paradigm or not.
Old August 11, 2002, 18:02   #11
gopher
Warlord

Local Time: 01:54
How about we wait to see where we are when we land, for instance if we land in a fungus paradise.

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old August 11, 2002, 18:35   #12
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 23:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Depends on the situation. We should have at least two per base. Additional formers should take a back seat to base infrastructure and military construction/support considerations -- though if we definitely need more, by all means, build more. (Granted, once we get Crawlers, support costs won't matter much.)

Of course, if we land in the middle of a heavily fungus-infested area, three or more formers per base would be needed. On the other hand, if we land in the Monsoon Jungle (or a very rainy area), 1.5 formers/base could suffice.

Last edited by Vlad Antlerkov; August 11, 2002 at 18:48.
Old August 11, 2002, 20:05   #13
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

between 2 and 3.

we need land and sea formers. I can't see how we can manage with less than 2 per base.
Old August 12, 2002, 04:05   #14
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
Well, as a man devoted to build, I usually have between three and four formers a base, since I build them with armor and use them as "conscript garrison". I ALWAYS have the Weather Paradigm, this is a must have. But this poll is nonsense, so I voted banana. The number of formers depends of landing site, of terraforming needed, etc...
Old August 12, 2002, 10:03   #15
Maniac

Why is this poll nonsense? Don't you want to know the opinion of your potential voter?

Btw, guys, when you say between two or three formers or something like that, are you thinking about the early-game or the mid-game? Early-game more than two formers per base will drastically reduce our mineral production due to high support costs and as a result slow down our expansion.
Old August 12, 2002, 14:26   #16
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
I said I thought this poll was nonsense because we cannot know what Terraforming efforts will be needed. This depends on too many things - growth of the base, usable squares, general mineral production, specific mineral production, etc...

Moreover, I think that the role of Director of terraforming is rather to consult people about what kind of terraforming is needed, and where in priority, the number of terraformers needed being just a detail of efficiency, that can easily be figured out according to specific conditions.

More interesting questions would be :
- Should we favor building mines or building solars in average squares ?
- Should we invest in building a sensor array in a square right before we build a base at this place ? (This gives the bonus all the time, with or without frontier moves ; this allow us to delay base fundation in case of ennemies/mindworms approaching ; this spare one square to have solars/mine on it, instead of a captor, but it delays base fundation a bit.)
- Should we terraform our cities radius with roads all around for a better circulation of garrison or should we do just the minimum needed, so that ennemies/mindworms cannot take advantage of our roads/magtubes ?

I am open to any other discussion about terraforming and colonization.
Old August 13, 2002, 09:36   #17
Maniac

Very well. Pandemoniak, what would you do if you were D of T&C? Perhaps you should post a pol/ discussion thread to ask people what their opinion is.

In any case, this is my personal opinion, as there haven't been much terraformation polls, momentarily still uninfluenced by the will of the people:

In average squares, say rolling moist, it is always better to build a forest instead of a farm + mine. That's why I would personally build no mines at all in the early game, except when we would stumble on a special mineral resource. The same counts for solar collectors. I doubt I would build many of them in the early game, as the focus in the first decades is on growth and production, nutrients and minerals, not energy production. I can be even more specific about my preferred terraformation choices under average conditions: I would build one farm if that would be necessary to ensure there is a two-food-tile in the base radius. This two-food tile makes sure any base can rapidly grow from size 1 to 2. Besides that, I would plant two or three forests for some mineral and energy production. As I personally wouldn't let an average base grow beyond size 3 in the early decades, this will mean there are always enough terraformed tiles for every base.

About the sensor question: if we have enough former capacity, sure why not? I wouldn't delay base foundation for this reason though.

About the road question. In the early years, the ones we should be talking about, I doubt we will have enough former power to build roads everywhere. So naturally the road system will be the minimum needed to connect all bases along the shortest path (thus allowing easy transfer of garrisons) and to speed expansion purposes.

A tip for later in the game: forest has a higher chance of spreading when there isn't a road or sensor built on it.