Old August 15, 2002, 21:59   #31
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, I stand with Coracle. And I don't care what anyone thinks of it.

I don't always agree with him but I respect him.
Old August 17, 2002, 01:03   #32
Dragon's Lord
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 23:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hmm
I have the simple solution raze the damn size one city and build your own in its place... i never waist my time with anything less than a size 6... ill burn them down and i keep a settler and 2 defenders on the boat or behind the army to fill in the wholes and i ever if its a bigger city use my settler to add to the city to stop it from flipping...
Old August 18, 2002, 10:26   #33
SABRA
Civilization II Democracy Game: Exodus
Warlord

Local Time: 07:55
At last .

It seems that they are going to implement some stuff that we talk about afterall .

Shall we be able to turn it off true the preferences or do we have to do it true the editor .
Old August 18, 2002, 14:25   #34
Martinus Magnificus
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:55
Quote:
Well, I stand with Coracle. And I don't care what anyone thinks of it.
I agree with Coracle most of the ime too. I was only trying to show him how one can be both crititical and constructive at the same time.

Back on topic: I really hope they'll give us more options than simply turning CF off in the editor. I would like to determine the odds for CF, for instance. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

SPQR
Old August 18, 2002, 14:42   #35
Caliban
Prince

Maybe this has been posted earlier, but how about just shrinking a conquered city by cutting its food supply on the city screen?

I always do this when I conquer larger cities: station large defense forces, shrink the city down to size 1, move on to the next city. The shrinked city won't flip if you keep just a couple of units there and once it grows (shouldn't take long for cities of size 1), you won't have to care about flipping any more...

This tactic actually does work on emperor difficulty...
Old August 21, 2002, 10:13   #36
SABRA
Civilization II Democracy Game: Exodus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Caliban
Maybe this has been posted earlier, but how about just shrinking a conquered city by cutting its food supply on the city screen?

I always do this when I conquer larger cities: station large defense forces, shrink the city down to size 1, move on to the next city. The shrinked city won't flip if you keep just a couple of units there and once it grows (shouldn't take long for cities of size 1), you won't have to care about flipping any more...

This tactic actually does work on emperor difficulty...
It's a good tactic , but why let the poppulation go to waste .

ones you have the city you can build workers and settlers there to add in your other cities .

you can also have a couple settlers or workers on standby so that ones you have the city you add them .
This will result in a mix and the city shall not go so fast in revolt .
Old August 21, 2002, 18:01   #37
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

*immediately presses the button to turn this option out forever*

Ok it's a good idea to have the thread of a rebellion of oppressed citizens of foreign nations in the game but this thing is ridiculous. You can't even do a little invasion because the citizens immediately began to bother you and in the end you spending 3/4 of the time keep them at bay and only 1/4 with the real fun part of the game:
planing cleaver and smart invasions and execute them precisely, leaving your enemies no chance to strike back

And in the end you don't get beaten by the enemy which is most of the time without a chance but by some naughty little citizens. Show me one city which would rebel in reality when I station 6 armoured divisions in front of their houses.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old August 21, 2002, 21:34   #38
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Galvatron
*immediately presses the button to turn this option out forever*

Ok it's a good idea to have the thread of a rebellion of oppressed citizens of foreign nations in the game but this thing is ridiculous. You can't even do a little invasion because the citizens immediately began to bother you and in the end you spending 3/4 of the time keep them at bay and only 1/4 with the real fun part of the game:
planing cleaver and smart invasions and execute them precisely, leaving your enemies no chance to strike back

And in the end you don't get beaten by the enemy which is most of the time without a chance but by some naughty little citizens. Show me one city which would rebel in reality when I station 6 armoured divisions in front of their houses.
Yea. I once had nine military units in a town of '1' vanish into thin air without even taking off a population point or putting the town in disorder.

Even if your 6 armored divisions were not IN the town, how STUPID would the citiens have to be to rebel with your military just over the horizon ready to march in and kill them all?? Would not happen.

The Mongols didn't garrison many towns that had surrendered to them. They just made it clear that any rebellion would result in the extermination of everyone in the town or city. There were NO rebellions. I guess Firaxis missed that.

BTW, it would have been realistic to have towns with small garrisons to possibly SURRENDER upon the approach of large enemy armies. That good idea Firaxis missed.
Old August 21, 2002, 21:42   #39
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy
it's a game it's a game it's a gam it's a game it's a game
. . .

And about Coracle,
I absolutely can't stand people who say they dislike the game, and didn't play it for weeks /months, but keep trolling around how much they hate it. . .
Blah blah.

I don't care much for you either or other apologists of Civ 3. I said I haven't played it in WEEKS, not since I lost nine military (mostly veteran legionaries) when a town of '1' flipped on me. I paid my fifty bucks last December for a beta game, and spend a great deal of time trying to get Firaxis to fix it. So I've earned the right to comment being a CONSUMER. The people who have no right to comment are those who never bought the game, nor that stupid useless Strategy Guide.

As for the tired old mantra about Civ 3 being "just a game", that's what I heard seven months ago when we complained about how full of bugs it was. We helped get you four patches. Don't have to thank us.

As for "It's a game". . . It is a very flawed game NOT in the legacy of Civ 1 and Civ 2 that was not playtested before released to the public in time for the Christmas buying season. Many of the problems with it can still be corrected if Firaxis had the will. But I'm sure Infogrames is happy with the sales so they won't bother.
Old August 22, 2002, 05:05   #40
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
I haven't played a complete game since I lost NINE military when a town of '1' flipped.
Quote:
I said I haven't played it in WEEKS, not since I lost nine military (mostly veteran legionaries) when a town of '1' flipped on me.
Will you ever stop?
--Woody Allen
Old August 22, 2002, 05:07   #41
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Quote:

Yea. I once had nine military units in a town of '1' vanish into thin air without even taking off a population point or putting the town in disorder.

Even if your 6 armored divisions were not IN the town, how STUPID would the citiens have to be to rebel with your military just over the horizon ready to march in and kill them all?? Would not happen.

The Mongols didn't garrison many towns that had surrendered to them. They just made it clear that any rebellion would result in the extermination of everyone in the town or city. There were NO rebellions. I guess Firaxis missed that.

BTW, it would have been realistic to have towns with small garrisons to possibly SURRENDER upon the approach of large enemy armies. That good idea Firaxis missed.
Yes facing complete extermination is always a good method to end uprisings. Hey the surrender option is a good idea because facing an overwhelming odd garrisons will seldom fight to the death so the defender might keep his units and they would automatically be withdrawn to the next city.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old August 22, 2002, 07:45   #42
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Will you ever stop?
Don't think so, so I'll just put him on my ignore list, I'm just too tired to listen to his complaining about the same thing all over this place...
Old August 22, 2002, 10:06   #43
Firebird
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

Don't think so, so I'll just put him on my ignore list, I'm just too tired to listen to his complaining about the same thing all over this place...
Yeah, its only funny to hear him rant the first 15 times....
its the next 1100 that gets borring.
Old August 22, 2002, 10:07   #44
Firebird
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy
And of course I will admit that:
1. it doesn't reflect 100% reality, but that's because:[/b]

it's a game it's a game it's a gam it's a game it's a game